IGNORED

Loïs Diony - Confirmed Loan Agreed

Negan

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Bobby is a far better player this season. I'm sure he wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as he is now in any position last season. But also he was often playing in behind one striker, not two. And however great Tammy was, he had a few weaknesses, like not being very good as a lone striker. So if we had someone like diedhiou up there, then I expect that would have suited bobby more. Bobby has been moved back into midfield a number of times during games this season. And almost every time he has been superb. Yesterday I was much more impressed with him in a midfield 3. Really suited his and korey's game of pressing the opposition, whilst pack sat. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in midfield more often from now on. 

You make some reasonable points, but I'd still rather play him up top. He's the epitome of our pressing game.

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Why do some people think Bobby Reid needs a rest?

He's young, incredibly fit, can keep going for 90 mins and (as far as we know) not carrying any injury.

We only have one game per week now for a bit. I doubt he would need a rest. Probably wouldn't be happy at all to be rested. I also think his running and energy are very important to our game atm.

Definitely wouldn't be benching him myself.

It helps that he is young, but I still think that in a season where he has been expected to do a hell of a lot of donkey work, in a style which requires intense pressing when we haven't got the ball and rapid counter attacking when we have, that there is nonetheless an increased danger of injury or burnout. 

I'm not suggesting leaving him out for weeks on end. Just that since we now have other options, to use him more sparingly and allow for a little recharging so that he is firing on all cylinders for the final straight. 

21 hours ago, 29AR said:

Inconclusive is harsh. He was on the shoulder, he knew when to slow play, showed good awareness and instinct for when to turn and showed good vision. It was off the ball he was doing so well so it didn't matter in a brief appearance he barely touched it. You can see he's got ability straight away. 

Not harsh at all, and Leko had ability, but was not a success. All I'm saying is cut the OTT stuff and admit that we didn't see enough to really judge either way. It's going to take him time to adjust at this level, so let's just wait and see. Gloves and bad haircut count against him though 

9 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Not harsh at all, and Leko had ability, but was not a success. All I'm saying is cut the OTT stuff and admit that we didn't see enough to really judge either way. It's going to take him time to adjust at this level, so let's just wait and see. Gloves and bad haircut count against him though 

I bet if he is a success and signs for next season, his pineapple will be no more.  Milan’s Man-bun didn’t last long in the harsh banter of the dressing room....and he’s a 6’7" hard-nosed Bosnian!

Hi guys!

I'm a St-Etienne fan, coming to your forum to get some news from Diony during this second part of the season, and see how it will go for him in your team. ;)

I guess you may also be interested to know more about him and why we're no longer counting on him - even if after having read all posts I see you already got many valid infos - and already started to make nice photoshops. :clapping:

First you should know that almost all of us will now cheer on Bristol, and hope you'll get promoted (so the transfer will be permanent). :P
He's not the worst forward we ever had, but he clearly didn't worth the price we paid for him (around 7M€?), our most expensive signing ever.
He did fairly well in Dijon, but many wonders if he wasn't just overperforming. Especially he's not very technical, despite his other skills (strenght and pace).

0 goal and 0 assist for us is of course very disappointing (to say the least) as you can imagine :ph34r:, now he's not the only one responsible.
We had new Spanish coach to start the season, who was supposed to bring some tiki-taka... Except 3-4 first promising games, went horrible and he finally resigned after disastrous game against our main rival. Season of crisis here. :shutup:
Not the best atmosphere for Diony then, as the team never really played good football, and he didn't have many good situations, while he was still decently fighting in most of the games.
Not sure who really wanted him at the club (was quite a gamble at this price), but making him play alone up-front was definitely a mistake. In Dijon he was pairing with Tavares, and a such duo is probably the best for him.

Still he managed to get 3 penaltys during his first games here, but he never got the chance to score one, as another of our players was taking all of them to increase his statistics... Bad team strategy as 1-2 goals would have probably put Diony on good tracks.

As things got worse Diony started to sink a bit. Atmosphere didn't help and he also reacted bad at some fans who laughed at him (insulted him?) at the airport after one more defeat in a away game.
When he left for your club our new coach declared Loïs put too much pressure on himself (maybe because of that status of most expensive recruit?).

Loïs seems a nice guy, maybe even a bit introvert, but he can also have bad mentality.
During Xmas break we got one striker back from a loan (and a new good coach), but Diony declared he was hungry and ready to show the real Diony in this second part of the season. Both played first game of 2018 (cup game), but Diony stayed on the bench the next game. After the game he was sulking in the changing room while his teammates were celebrating victory, and even skipped the warm-down session. At this point seems he then asked to leave.
This kind of behavior happened in Dijon, it happened with us, so be warned.

Overall this is the whole package with Diony : If you manage to give him confidence and love, I'm sure he can do great for your team. :) But if things turns bad (like if you boo him at some point or if the coach puts him on the bench after few bad games), you risk to see his bad side.

Still, again he's not a bad guy. And with English football fitting his skills maybe better than French Ligue 1, I'm confident he could help your team well and you could be happy of him (just don't have too high expectations for now).

8 minutes ago, gugi said:

Hi guys!

I'm a St-Etienne fan, coming to your forum to get some news from Diony during this second part of the season, and see how it will go for him in your team. ;)

I guess you may also be interested to know more about him and why we're no longer counting on him - even if after having read all posts I see you already got many valid infos - and already started to make nice photoshops. :clapping:

First you should know that almost all of us will now cheer on Bristol, and hope you'll get promoted (so the transfer will be permanent). :P
He's not the worst forward we ever had, but he clearly didn't worth the price we paid for him (around 7M€?), our most expensive signing ever.
He did fairly well in Dijon, but many wonders if he wasn't just overperforming. Especially he's not very technical, despite his other skills (strenght and pace).

0 goal and 0 assist for us is of course very disappointing (to say the least) as you can imagine :ph34r:, now he's not the only one responsible.
We had new Spanish coach to start the season, who was supposed to bring some tiki-taka... Except 3-4 first promising games, went horrible and he finally resigned after disastrous game against our main rival. Season of crisis here. :shutup:
Not the best atmosphere for Diony then, as the team never really played good football, and he didn't have many good situations, while he was still decently fighting in most of the games.
Not sure who really wanted him at the club (was quite a gamble at this price), but making him play alone up-front was definitely a mistake. In Dijon he was pairing with Tavares, and a such duo is probably the best for him.

Still he managed to get 3 penaltys during his first games here, but he never got the chance to score one, as another of our players was taking all of them to increase his statistics... Bad team strategy as 1-2 goals would have probably put Diony on good tracks.

As things got worse Diony started to sink a bit. Atmosphere didn't help and he also reacted bad at some fans who laughed at him (insulted him?) at the airport after one more defeat in a away game.
When he left for your club our new coach declared Loïs put too much pressure on himself (maybe because of that status of most expensive recruit?).

Loïs seems a nice guy, maybe even a bit introvert, but he can also have bad mentality.
During Xmas break we got one striker back from a loan (and a new good coach), but Diony declared he was hungry and ready to show the real Diony in this second part of the season. Both played first game of 2018 (cup game), but Diony stayed on the bench the next game. After the game he was sulking in the changing room while his teammates were celebrating victory, and even skipped the warm-down session. At this point seems he then asked to leave.

Overall this is the whole package with Diony : If you manage to give him confidence and love, I'm sure he can do great for your team. :) But if things turns bad (like if you boo him at some point or if the coach puts him on the bench after few bad games), you risk to see his bad side.

Still, again he's not a bad guy. And with English football fitting his skills maybe better than French Ligue 1, I'm confident he could help your team well and you could be happy of him (just don't have too high expectations for now).

Merci!

(That's about the limit of my French)

Welcome to the forum.

In his interview after signing on loan he said he wanted to "get his smile back" so it definitely seems he was unsettled at St-Etienne for some reason.

It's hard to judge from his 20 minutes so far, and he came on after we had someone sent off, but I liked what I saw.

He mentioned he's friends with one of our other strikers from when they were at Nantes together, so hopefully it won't be long until they know each others style.

Good luck for the rest of your season.

40 minutes ago, gugi said:

Hi guys!

Ben, merci et bravo pour votre anglais ! 

Votre message confirme ce que pense de lui .

J'espère qu'il trouve ça place ici .

Allez les Verts ! 

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Bloody show off :laughcont:

This is very good French from Major Isewater indeed.  :thumbsup: :)

So regarding the automatic transfer after the loan if you guys get promoted, seems it's not that sure, if we believe what Mark Ashton is saying in this article from the Bristol Post:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/diony-bristol-city-st-etienne-1131037

Maybe just a regular option for permanent transfer in case you want to keep him only.

Please let me know if you know more or get more infos about the deal later. :)

Archived