IGNORED

Loïs Diony - Confirmed Loan Agreed

Negan

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Thought he looked class. Good touch, movement. Strong and will score goals. Hard to judge after today with ten men. Dare I say it would love to see him and Diedhiou but where does Bobby go? Good to have options. Diedhiou was rusty first half but as the game went on was a real handful. Nice to see him and Diony walking around the ground together at the end clapping the fans. 

I had a talk about this during the game. We looked good with 3 at the back. You could get all 3 on the pitch with that formation. I wouldn’t recommend that every game or the whole game but against weaker teams could be away to get 3 of our most dangerous players on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Dare I say it would love to see him and Diedhiou but where does Bobby go? 

A great problem to have TBH. Suddenly, after struggling for forwards, we've got options! The thought of resting Bobby seemed ridiculous only a week or so ago, now with a fired up Fammy approaching full fitness and Diony making a decent start, it's a real possibility, once LD learns our play and tops up his fitness, if needed.

We're looking strong, I have to say.

17 minutes ago, Chappers said:

For a brief appearance where he ran about a bit, but rarely touched the ball, "class" is stretching it a tad. I would prefer inconclusive.

Inconclusive is harsh. He was on the shoulder, he knew when to slow play, showed good awareness and instinct for when to turn and showed good vision. It was off the ball he was doing so well so it didn't matter in a brief appearance he barely touched it. You can see he's got ability straight away. 

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Who's our front 2 when Lois is fully fit then? Fammy and Lois with Bobby playing deeper? I wonder if he's competition for Bobby rather than Fammy?

Woss reckon?

He's an upgraded Bobby, but it seems a lower work rate- perhaps just not used to our system.

Initially I think he'll be used to rest Diedhiou, but longer term he'll come on for Reid.

16 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He's an upgraded Bobby, but it seems a lower work rate- perhaps just not used to our system.

Initially I think he'll be used to rest Diedhiou, but longer term he'll come on for Reid.

I agree James but how crazy would that have sounded just a couple of weeks ago? 

If he hasn't been playing, I would imagine his fitness needs some work plus, like Fammy was, he's never played in England before so will have to learn quickly. He does look to have all the tools to play here though based on his cameo today! 

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

Little to go on today but he looked lively.  His positioning out of possession will take a bit of work to fit into our pressing game but that's expected.  Nice bit of pace, not a weakling either.  I wonder if he can shoot!

Thought the same as we haven’t yet seen him get a shot. That will most likely be the telling of what sort of player we have. Good attributes on show today though.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought he looked very good for his first 20 minutes of game time with us. But no way do I agree that he looks an upgrade on bobby.

Time will tell I think Jon. french clubs don't spend €9M on poor players. At the moment, Bobby is obviously first but I'll be interested to see what a fit LD can do once he knows our system. First impressions are good which can only be a positive.

4 hours ago, 29AR said:

Inconclusive is harsh. He was on the shoulder, he knew when to slow play, showed good awareness and instinct for when to turn and showed good vision. It was off the ball he was doing so well so it didn't matter in a brief appearance he barely touched it. You can see he's got ability straight away. 

Yep, this guy is no mug.

I thought he showed up well in the air too, sinning a couple, but also three occasions where he made the defender get under the ball, and missed / mIs-timed their headers.  Got good touch.

Obviously early doors, but you know sometimes when you sign a player and you think, "mmm, this guy hasn’t got it", well that’s not what I thought today.  Promising start.

Thought Kent looked decent too.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, this guy is no mug.

I thought he showed up well in the air too, sinning a couple, but also three occasions where he made the defender get under the ball, and missed / mIs-timed their headers.  Got good touch.

Obviously early doors, but you know sometimes when you sign a player and you think, "mmm, this guy hasn’t got it", well that’s not what I thought today.  Promising start.

Thought Kent looked decent too.

Yes Kent looked good up to the sending off. Was more difficult after for him but looked good on the break

6 hours ago, TRL said:

looked very bright and aware when the ball was around him.  I think he will cause defenders plenty of problems....  but

I'd imagine LJ was doing his nut in with his jogging approach to closing down, when the rest of the team were busting a gut he was appearing to be making an effort, but not really.  I think he must have got a rollicking from the sidelines as the last few minutes he certainly up his work rate in chasing back. 

Early days, looks promising, needs to play our  game, not his game and up the work rate if hes going to work out here.  He is gonna need a few weeks here until he gets used to "The Press" that we play, I hope he is up for it, if he is he could prove to be a very good acquisition (based on first impressions)

Yes, there was one point near the 85th minute where their CB had the ball, Diony was just jogging back to the half way line. That may be usual for any normal team, filling gaps and that, but here he’s expected to chase. The fans reacted with a both of surprise. 

However, he did look handy, caused problems for them and my god he gets up to full speed quickly for a guy his size.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

An upgrade on Bobby? Shut up.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought he looked very good for his first 20 minutes of game time with us. But no way do I agree that he looks an upgrade on bobby.

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

An upgrade on Bobby? Shut up.

Not saying he's better than Bobby for that role at this point.

But I can see him being moulded into that.

He can play that role, but has more pace and better in the air, so he would have more aspects to his game.

12 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Unless he is the one we will cash in on....

It's a squad game in modern football, would you concede that? 

We finally get players in and back from injury that will allow us to rotate and freshen the starting 11 so it seems unlikely we would weaken those options again.

Why do some people think Bobby Reid needs a rest?

He's young, incredibly fit, can keep going for 90 mins and (as far as we know) not carrying any injury.

We only have one game per week now for a bit. I doubt he would need a rest. Probably wouldn't be happy at all to be rested. I also think his running and energy are very important to our game atm.

Definitely wouldn't be benching him myself.

Weird one to make a debut in; playing on a side down to ten but with a two goal advantage - reckon we’ll not have seen his proper game yet.

Interested to see his contribution in the next couple, where he’ll hopefully play in full teams, and against the second and third worst defences in the league - hope he can nick a goal or two and give his confidence a boost.

• Admin

I know we rarely use 352 nowadays but how good does this look?

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker

Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Reid

Diedhiou Diony

Plenty of options too on the bench where one sub could change to a variety of alternative formations should a game require it. COD for Brownhill also an option allowing Josh to play infield. And where would Pato fit in? When everyone is fit again, little Bristol City are gonna have an embarrassment of riches :yes:

44 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker

Reid

Diedhiou Diony

Plenty of options too on the bench where one sub could change to a variety of alternative formations should a game require it. COD for Brownhill also an option allowing Josh to play infield. And where would Pato fit in? When everyone is fit again, little Bristol City are gonna have an embarrassment of riches :yes:

Looks decent on paper / screen, and useful to have up our sleeve, but I think that we’ve been drilled and recruited for 442/4411 and we should stick with that in the main.

But definitely nice to have a plan B, which doesn’t mean Flint going up front.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Looks decent on paper / screen, and useful to have up our sleeve, but I think that we’ve been drilled and recruited for 442/4411 and we should stick with that in the main.

But definitely nice to have a plan B, which doesn’t mean Flint going up front.

I was just thinking about how LJ wrestled back the initiative yesterday after QPR started the second half on top by switching to 351 (more like 3411). We could have been even better with an extra player :D 

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker

Reid

Diedhiou Diony

We tried playing Bobby behind a front two last season and it didn't work then.

No reason to believe it will work now.

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

I was just thinking about how LJ wrestled back the initiative yesterday after QPR started the second half on top by switching to 351 (more like 3411). We could have been even better with an extra player :D 

Yes, the movement of Smith back into midfield was crucial...we’d got dragged extra deep (like Reading at home last season), and you could sense that QPR we gonna get something.

I couldn’t make my mind up whether we’d put Bailey back to RB, but many on here and LJ concluded it was a back 3/5.  For me Bailey took on responsibility for M.Smith, giving him a physical battle, rather than Flint who was just challenging aerially, and struggling a bit with it.  It allowed Flint and Magnússon to concentrate on the other forwards and runners.

Bryan and Brownhill freed to get forward / make a 5 in midfield when needed, butvalso condensing our back line to stop Rangers getting in behind.  Masterful tactics.

3 hours ago, samo II said:

Weird one to make a debut in; playing on a side down to ten but with a two goal advantage - reckon we’ll not have seen his proper game yet.

Interested to see his contribution in the next couple, where he’ll hopefully play in full teams, and against the second and third worst defences in the league - hope he can nick a goal or two and give his confidence a boost.

Difficult to judge him on 20 min cameo playing in a team down to 10 but for me he showed some good attributes and in a full side will be a handful. Looked strong and quick and caused their defence a few problems. Look forward to seeing more of him over the next few games

15 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Difficult to judge him on 20 min cameo playing in a team down to 10 but for me he showed some good attributes and in a full side will be a handful. Looked strong and quick and caused their defence a few problems. Look forward to seeing more of him over the next few games

My hope too.

I watched a fair bit of his highlights on YouTube, and while I realise they are only his best bits, try back up his seeming willingness to battle for possession and direct nature.

Excited to see what he can do in combination with the likes of Bobby and Fam when we’re not a man down.

Both Bolton and Sunderland are far from the level of quality we’ve faced over the last month (and include Villa, Derby and Wolves on that alongside Man City), so think it’s a good time to bed in the New boys like this lad and Kent, Welsh etc.

Nice to have more opinions when a month ago we had good old Arnie making up the numbers on the bench for the Man U game!

Looks good to me and we now have three top striker options who are all a bit different. Fammy the nuisance make-it-stick aerial threat man, Bobby the 9.5 link man and ghosting into the box, Lois from yesterday has pace and power to burn and plays on the shoulder. So we can rotate for fitness and horses for courses. Feels like a real step change from Bobby up top alone and Taylor and Woodrow off the bench. Which is where we were last time we played QPR just before Christmas - CW off the bench and missed two clear chances to win the game. 

Archived