Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robbored

Joe Bryan - best LB ever?

He was magnificent today and I sat there thinking just how good this lad is and how he compares to the likes of Barnard. Scott. Bailey and Bell and concluded that he's better than all of them. Only Barnard comes close.

His skill and ability hasn't gone unnoticed but lets all hope that we can hold onto him.

Scott was maybe better defender, but not a better all round player

For me Brennan and Bryan are probably the best, unfortunately we only had Brennan briefly at his best before he was sold on

Honestly feel he could play in any team in the world bar the top 10 or so. Hope when he does eventually leave he chooses the right club. Better than Newcastle, West Brom and Brighton. He can play for a top 10 side imo. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Burnley come in for him. They have a history of buying from the championship and a left side of him and Brady would pose many problems. 

As you've mentioned, follows on the tradition of fantastic left backs with a surname beginning with B.

For me, Mickey Bell was my personal fave.  Bryan though will go on to play for England, so he must be the better player.

I thought he looked a little lost after Baker went off especially when QPR were crossing into the box, he let their player drift off the back. That might be due to Wright being in that CB role where he doesn’t have the height to take out the cross.

Second half was much better and getting the goal certainly got him going again....I think Mags coming on gave Joe that freedom to play how he likes. 

I think Bell was better for Tins in font of him. Bryan has an all round game well suited to modern football.

Best in my lifetime for sure.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

His skill and ability hasn't gone unnoticed but lets all hope that we can hold onto him.

Four days left in the transfer window. SSN tonight; "Everton, Newcastle & Brighton are all interested in Joe Bryan".

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

For me, Mickey Bell was my personal fave.  Bryan though will go on to play for England, so he must be the better player.

Still dont think thats as such a certainty as many like to believe on here.. his next choice of club will be crucial as to weather or not he does it in the big league or not.. its still a big step up to that level and to consistently do it week in week out will be a task for Bryan imho. Still a great player for us though not knocking that.

What is it with our club and great left backs beginning with B?! 

Bailey, Brennan, Bromage, Barnard, Bell, Bryan....looks like we’ll be converting Baker or Brownhill to go back there next, or perhaps we’ll be swapping our Joe for Leighton Baines...?!

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

Four days left in the transfer window. SSN tonight; "Everton, Newcastle & Brighton are all interested in Joe Bryan".

He won't be going anywhere this window but if we don't reach the PL he'll be off in the summer.

I was only saying to a mate today that last season i slated Bryan for most the season. But this season hes been absolute amazing its either him or Flint for player of season so far.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He was magnificent today and I sat there thinking just how good this lad is and how he compares to the likes of Barnard. Scott. Bailey and Bell and concluded that he's better than all of them. Only Barnard comes close.

Just doing his job

5 minutes ago, kevthered said:

Just doing his job

The understatement of the season!

29 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

As you've mentioned, follows on the tradition of fantastic left backs with a surname beginning with B.

He came reasonably priced apparently.

Best left back ever? How many people can remember beyond the 1950s? Most on the forum can’t remember beyond the 70s

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

Best left back ever? How many people can remember beyond the 1950s? Most on the forum can’t remember beyond the 70s

Perhaps I should have said "in modern times".

38 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

I was only saying to a mate today that last season i slated Bryan for most the season. But this season hes been absolute amazing its either him or Flint for player of season so far.

And yet for me it's a two horse race between Reid and Smith. Shows how great they are all playing. 

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

League One LBs v future Premiership LBs is not really a comparison is it

Agree. Often people on here don't take into account the level a player has played well at. We have never had the best left back in the 2nd division, until now. Bryan easily the best imo

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

And yet for me it's a two horse race between Reid and Smith. Shows how great they are all playing. 

Now you've mentioned them two its got me thinking more, especially Smith. Ried is more the most improved award ha ha

Defensively not yet, but he might get there. For me Drysdale would get the nod defensively, Bell as a crosser if the ball, but  Joe gets the nod as an attacking threat. Cooper probably won the most free kicks by using his nous and experience to run into the back of wingers  

Thresher, as someone mentioned may have been the best but I don’t remember seeing him. Apparently he once marked the legendary Stanley Matthews out of the game. Mike Summerbee named him as the hardest player he ever faced. He remarked that while playing for Swindon, Thresher had sent him to the stands 3 times in the first 5 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You missed Ryan McGivern from that list......yeah right. How far have we come since the left side of him and Woolford. 

57 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Defensively not yet, but he might get there. For me Drysdale would get the nod defensively, Bell as a crosser if the ball, but  Joe gets the nod as an attacking threat. Cooper probably won the most free kicks by using his nous and experience to run into the back of wingers  

Thresher, as someone mentioned may have been the best but I don’t remember seeing him. Apparently he once marked the legendary Stanley Matthews out of the game. Mike Summerbee named him as the hardest player he ever faced. He remarked that while playing for Swindon, Thresher had sent him to the stands 3 times in the first 5 minutes. 

Yes...Mike Thresher did mark Stanley Matthews out of the game....I was there....but can’t remember if it was a League game or an FA Cup game. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He won't be going anywhere this window but if we don't reach the PL he'll be off in the summer.

Hard to argue with that

He doesn't lack much. Cant remember many of our fantastic list of left backs being as two footed as Bryan.

His ability to score from open play has not been matched by any fullback I can remember.

Odd lack of concentration but that's it!!!

In reality who remembers great wing backs for their defensive qualities? Therefore think its a bit wrong to judge Joe on his defensive qualities if we are comparing apples with apples. Barnard, Bell and Scott were the stand out players from my memory ... all fantastic players who all benefited from linking up with Tinnion on the left but all stand out because they were so potent in attacking and goal contributions. I couldn't tell you how well they defended.

Anyway to me Joe in current form wins hands down as there is so much versatility to his game and where he could play..... but lets not shout it out too loud!

Easily best position is LB. That ‘debate’ should hopefully be over.

As for defensive qualities, he knows his strengths and purposely stands off most opponents as he near always beats them at any 1:1. You can watch him individually and see his class.

Top LB and hopefully a top move for him in the summer if we don’t go up. He deserves to further himself and hopefully play for England one day to prove himself again.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Settle down Robbo. Your erection will become something of legend.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think he is the one player who will only move IF the club want to sell, and it will need to be for mega bucks.

He strikes me as being the least money orientated of our footballers, Bristol born and bred, part of a close family unit, willing to chip in for those less fortunate.

He has clearly matured this season and is the best left back outside the Prem, no question, and if you watched £30M Luke Shaw last night what price would you put on Joe's head?

The guy has it all. Worth at least a Kodjia if not more. 

Quality left back, has versitility, the right temperament. He is still improving!!

Enjoy him whilst we have him. Credit our coaching staff. 

Turned league 1 players into top class championship players and beyond. 

Flint

Pack

Reid

Bryan

Brownhill

All attracting the attention of clubs. 

1 hour ago, Shireman said:

Yes...Mike Thresher did mark Stanley Matthews out of the game....I was there....but can’t remember if it was a League game or an FA Cup game. 

FA cup Jan '59. 

I was also there, just 9 years old!

The have always thought he was destined for better things when I seen him play against Watford he was only a boy then and was one of our best players.  What he's done over the years is add flexibility to his game and consistency.   He's worth his weight in gold and the best left back we have ever had.

3 hours ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Funny thing is...and I know this happens....but for the guy in front of me last season...joe was his target in terms of venting frustration....picked the wrong horse there buddy 

To be fair joe was poor for much of last season which was so frustrating as everyone knew he has top ability.

this season he just keeps getting better and better. Today he was awesome.