IGNORED

Today's tactics- back to our best?

Williams' Penalty

Ok, let's put to one side that Wednesday were very poor in patches today, they tried to play and that's commendable. Also, they did have their fair share of chances, especially second half. 

We looked slick, and played the style of football that Lee championed at the start of the season. A few posters on here accused Lee of lying saying that he has told the players to use long balls and that he was unnecessarily blaming players in post match interviews. I really don't buy it.

Today, Pato back playing freely and the addition of the much needed Pisano was fantastic for us. Love Pisano and although Wright has done reasonably in that role  we look so much more threatening with Pisano's ability to attack.

Interestingly, the long throw ins were no longer our go to option. Im not really sure what i think of them as a tactic, but today we were much better without them IMO.

The trusted line up we started with and the back to basics approach really worked, and Lee obviously seriously spoke to the players to sort them out. It worked, great management.

As a side note though, I thought the subsitution of Diony onto the pitch made us much worse in both attack and defence. Still not seeing where his quality will come from. 

Really excited for the rest of the season, if we continue playing our brand of football we are bound to be in the playoffs come the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Ok, let's put to one side that Wednesday were very poor in patches today, they tried to play and that's commendable. Also, they did have their fair share of chances, especially second half. 

We looked slick, and played the style of football that Lee championed at the start of the season. A few posters on here accused Lee of lying saying that he has told the players to use long balls and that he was unnecessarily blaming players in post match interviews. I really don't buy it.

Today, Pato back playing freely and the addition of the much needed Pisano was fantastic for us. Love Pisano and although Baker has done reasonably in that role  we look so much more threatening with Pisano's ability to attack.

Interestingly, the long throw ins were no longer our go to option. Im not really sure what i think of them as a tactic, but today we were much better without them IMO.

The trusted line up we started with and the back to basics approach really worked, and Lee obviously seriously spoke to the players to sort them out. It worked, great management.

As a side note though, I thought the subsitution of Diony onto the pitch made us much worse in both attack and defence. Still not seeing where his quality will come from. 

Really excited for the rest of the season, if we continue playing our brand of football we are bound to be in the playoffs come the end of the season.

Do you want to have another go at that?

Long way still to claim we will end up in the top six, but did everything we could today. We are still not quite solid enough at the back for me, and give away to many chances, but was not a back line that have played together really much. Mags and Flint did what they needed to.

Harder games to come, but Preston, Burton, Ipswich, Barnsley this month...if we can hit some form, every chance for a good run there. Would be good to be in touch with some of those above us.

Wasn’t at the game today but I’m interested to hear comments that we were back to our best with Famara in the side. Earlier in the week we had a very popular thread from @Kid in the Riot which suggested we were a better team - with plenty of evidence - without Famara up top. That’s not a criticism of that suggestion, it seemed a reasonable assertion to me based on our pre-Christmas performances. And lots of people agreed.

So is there are still argument to drop Famara on the basis that we change our game to accommodate him - or does today put that to bed ?

Genuine question, I wasn’t there today so I’m interested to hear.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Would be grateful if anyone could report on how Pisano did for us today? I thought he looked a decent player at the start of the season.

Went up and down the pitch like a racehorse, excellent work rate and has that dirty side to him that we need, and going forward he's much better than Bailey wright going forward, very good comeback

2 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Would be grateful if anyone could report on how Pisano did for us today? I thought he looked a decent player at the start of the season.

He, understandably, looked a little off the pace and not quite on the same wavelength in our attacking moves but he was assured in defence and niggled at their winger .

Glad to have him back .

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Wasn’t at the game today but I’m interested to hear comments that we were back to our best with Famara in the side. Earlier in the week we had a very popular thread from @Kid in the Riot which suggested we were a better team - with plenty of evidence - without Famara up top. That’s not a criticism of that suggestion, it seemed a reasonable assertion to me based on our pre-Christmas performances. And lots of people agreed.

So is there are still argument to drop Famara on the basis that we change our game to accommodate him - or does today put that to bed ?

Fam was great and works really well with Bobby. It’s definitely our best pairing up front.  

Much better today. A very dominant performance. Fewer long balls and some of our passing was excellent - those goals in the first half were really well worked. We over elaborated at times, but it's difficult to complain after a 4-0 win.

Pisano had a good game, especially considering how long he's been out. He likes getting forward and Brownhill covered him very well.

Diony offered little going forward when he came on but got in some good tackles to help out our defence.

Paterson seemed to revel in a more central position.

Sheffield were very poor in the first half. They came out with more determination after half time but we were the better side by far. Joe Bryan was the target of some hefty challenges.

Diedhiou had a good game - led the line well.

Bobby Reid - absolutely superb. 

The whole team clicked today and played some scintillating stuff particularly in the first 45. The guys around me were all purring about how slick City were.

Wednesday simply couldn't live it and we deserved a healthy 3-0 lead. Second 45 not so exciting but the fourth goal saw the game over. The Owls fans all 1400 of them were very impressive. They carried on signing even at 0-4 down.

Good to see Pisaro back. The team was better balanced with a regular RB. He took one for the team when he tripped the guy that went past him. Good Italian defending that...

Theres already a thread about Bobby Reid - but well done to him for bagging his first hat trick.

I liked the change in tempo today, that was something that has been missing lately. just when the crowd were getting frustrated by the interchanges between the back 4 and the midfield, they would find a pass or two that would suddenly have us looking dangerous. It's that change of tempo that can unlock the more stubborn defences I feel.

Confident team performance Bobby on fire, Diedheu actually looked more confident with ball, Pato a brilliant assist and a few moments of brilliance, not sure about him playing between defence and midfield, bit like a confused carrier pigeon, not able to figure out which way to go! Pack growing with every game,keep it up lads!

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

For me we gain some things in that 442 without Diedhiou. Like his first touch and lay offs are not great when we are doing quick touches around the box, unlike Pato and Reid's quality when they play up top. But when teams sit in, we need a physical presence up there, and Diedhiou gives us that. I thought he did well today at what he's good at. Won headers, held it up well, worked his socks off.

I am not sure I agree, as I said on another thread, I think Famara showed he can play football and his dummy for the 2nd goal was a great example of that. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The whole team clicked today and played some scintillating stuff particularly in the first 45. The guys around me were all purring about how slick City were.

Wednesday simply couldn't live it and we deserved a healthy 3-0 lead. Second 45 not so exciting but the fourth goal saw the game over. The Owls fans all 1400 of them were very impressive. They carried on signing even at 0-4 down.

Good to see Pisaro back. The team was better balanced with a regular RB. He took one for the team when he tripped the guy that went past him. Good Italian defending that...

Theres already a thread about Bobby Reid - but well done to him for bagging his first hat trick.

Unlikely. He died in 1903.

Pisano on the other hand had a good game for someone so rusty. Missing a little bit of speed and fitness, of course, but provided a very good complement to Joe down the other wing. winning corners and getting crosses in from both sides. There's novel!

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Unlikely. He died in 1903.

Pisano on the other hand had a good game for someone so rusty. Missing a little bit of speed and fitness, of course, but provided a very good complement to Joe down the other wing. winning corners and getting crosses in from both sides. There's novel!

What would a thread be though without senile old Robbored getting someone’s name or nationality wrong, eh?

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Don't think Famara (or Djuric) is the problem. Trying to "shoehorn" an out and out left winger into the side was affecting us negatively as a team. A decent plan B or C but today's set up with wide midfielders works so much better for us.

1 hour ago, Offside said:

Much better today. A very dominant performance. Fewer long balls and some of our passing was excellent - those goals in the first half were really well worked. We over elaborated at times, but it's difficult to complain after a 4-0 win.

Pisano had a good game, especially considering how long he's been out. He likes getting forward and Brownhill covered him very well.

Diony offered little going forward when he came on but got in some good tackles to help out our defence.

Paterson seemed to revel in a more central position.

Sheffield were very poor in the first half. They came out with more determination after half time but we were the better side by far. Joe Bryan was the target of some hefty challenges.

Diedhiou had a good game - led the line well.

Bobby Reid - absolutely superb. 

I just want to highlight this because I have read plenty more negative things about him lately. Not that yours is nasty but I want to make a point about him. 

That point is, I don’t think he has been done any favours by LJ here. Come on against QPR when we were down to 10 men. Sunderland he came on after a week being ill for Bobby Reid who is vital no matter who is playing. Starting against Cardiff I think most agree LJ got that wrong. Again today came on to defend and be a lone striker. He has never played in a 442 with our other best players around him and more importantly partnering Reid. 

I feel he will need a start in the same team that started today in for Famara. I think he could thrive in that scenario. Not saying he should just that it is where I think he would be most useful and we could actually judge him fairly. He still looks devoid of confidence and way overeager to make an impression. 

I don’t know all the details of the option to buy. If promotion doesn’t matter in that option I think he will be bought regardless unless LJ and co have seen something they don’t like in training or in the locker room. I feel like him getting a bit of success will only benefit the club in the future. 

3 hours ago, KentRed said:

Bailey Wright said on the radio that he should be fit to be selected for the PNE game. Who starts on Tues? Can you risk playing Pisano twice in a few days?

I was hoping that’s precisely the reason he and the others were subbed off for.

3 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Seemed off the pace for me lost his man a couple of times. But offensively he gave us something we have really been missing. Gut busting runs forward and was nearly through on goal at one point but held back.

Archived