IGNORED

Good Management by Lee

Port Said Red

"The goals resulted from some great moves and I couldn't have asked for more. I told the players I was prepared to take the blame if errors resulted from the way we tried to play and I think that was important.

I like that, it gives players freedom to make mistakes as long as they are following the Managers instructions. I think there are still some fans that need to give them that freedom too. Still too many "get it forward" cries at times that the players are trying to maintain possession and work openings. 

Yes very good today (especially first half) and possession was always with a purpose, probing and moving the opposition about creating angles for the "killer" ball. At times over the last couple of months we had lost that and had fallen into the trap of possession for possessions sake or like last week worrying too much about what the other team would do. Wednesday were poor today (pathetic ?) but severely hamstrung with injuries and apart from Adam Reach looked like a bunch of League 2 players who had never met but still we would have beaten most Championship teams today playing like we did.

Entertaining and lethal.

Great work by all of the coaching staff and players.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

"The goals resulted from some great moves and I couldn't have asked for more. I told the players I was prepared to take the blame if errors resulted from the way we tried to play and I think that was important.

I like that, it gives players freedom to make mistakes as long as they are following the Managers instructions. I think there are still some fans that need to give them that freedom too. Still too many "get it forward" cries at times that the players are trying to maintain possession and work openings. 

Yeah, I thought his post match interview was particularly insightful. If all fans would make the effort to actually listen to what he's saying then they would get a better understanding of what he's trying to do.

I am in one of those moods were I find it hard to look at the table and not think 'if we only had those two extra points from Sunderland...'

At times we will play this way and it will look like we are trying to over complicate it, but very happy with the result. If we lose to a team that beats us on the day, but we are trying to play our way, well, it happens. Got it right today. Stick out our best team, and let the opposition worry about us.

47 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I am in one of those moods were I find it hard to look at the table and not think 'if we only had those two extra points from Sunderland...'

At times we will play this way and it will look like we are trying to over complicate it, but very happy with the result. If we lose to a team that beats us on the day, but we are trying to play our way, well, it happens. Got it right today. Stick out our best team, and let the opposition worry about us.

2 more against Sunderland, the three we deserved against Villa home (Lucky deflection) and Burton home, could’ve got an extra 2 against Millwall. Christ we’d almost be top. 

Can only look forward and as it stands I’d back us for a play off spot. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well said PSR 

I guess if we had lost or drawn and you had started a thread entitled bad management then we'd be into 3 pages as opposed to half a dozen responses.

It's almost humorous that the usual suspects disappear when we have some success. Funny thing is that those particular posters actually often have a fair point when we're shite but can't seem to recognise when we're not- it's almost like an agenda.

We have been poor- Lee has made mistakes . However- it's March 3rd and we're in the play offs.... pinch me.

Who was shouting "get it forward"?  Must have missed that bit. "Don't gift them a stupid goal and throw away your clean sheet" yeah  but not "lump it up there and mimic Warnock"

Fair play for picking the right side and an impressive win to LJ. the proper test is PNE though

COYR

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

All well and good but why the ****  did he play bobby in midfield last week. 

Jeez...................:facepalm:  Been done to death already.

Here's a tip - actually listen to LJs interviews and then you'll understand.

25 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Who was shouting "get it forward"?  Must have missed that bit. "Don't gift them a stupid goal and throw away your clean sheet" yeah  but not "lump it up there and mimic Warnock"

Fair play for picking the right side and an impressive win to LJ. the proper test is PNE though

COYR

There were definitely people around me before we scored,, moaning about sideways passing and telling players to get it up there.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeez...................:facepalm:  Been done to death already.

Here's a tip - actually listen to LJs interviews and then you'll understand.

Sorry mate.  I don’t get it. Absolutely shite selection last week. We’ve been watching bobby play in midfield for about 5 years and many of us have thought hIm not good enough. He’s currently having a brilliant season as a striker / no10 and then lee plays him in midfield to accommodate Diony. Absolutely dreadful decision demonstrating a shockingly poor team selection. 

4 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Sorry mate.  I don’t get it. Absolutely shite selection last week. We’ve been watching bobby play in midfield for about 5 years and many of us have thought hIm not good enough. He’s currently having a brilliant season as a striker / no10 and then lee plays him in midfield to accommodate Diony. Absolutely dreadful decision demonstrating a shockingly poor team selection. 

Let it go. He's got a lot more right than wrong this season which is why a team most of us expected to finish mid table are currently 6th. Sometimes an unexpected tactical or personnel switch pays off, sometimes it doesn't. On this occasion it didn't.

12 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

You're displaying a very limited knowledge of how football tactics work. 

However, it's late and I can't be arsed to explain what LJ was doing last week.

I don’t think so mate  

IMHU if you think playing bobby in midfield and playing Diony against Cardiff is somehow how football tactics work then you’ve got a lot more to learn about football tactics than I have. 

17 hours ago, Tim Bartlett said:

Amazing how far the club has come in the last 3 years. I remember our first game back in the champ when Sheff Wed took us apart. Fielding, Flint, Bryan, Pack, Smith and Reid all in the squad that day. 

Brilliant display today, good times.

3-5-2

With a group of players not suitable or schooled to play it, as was the case until the February.

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

There were definitely people around me before we scored,, moaning about sideways passing and telling players to get it up there.

Yeah, and that view is still prevalent in lots of English football supporters up and down the land who have been brought up watching / playing ' get it in the mixer' football.

Still effective in lower / non- league to a degree but won't get you far in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Yeah, and that view is still prevalent in lots of English football supporters up and down the land who have been brought up watching / playing ' get it in the mixer' football.

Still effective in lower / non- league to a degree but won't get you far in the Championship.

I think the same when I hear "**** 'em up, get into them",  Of course hassling and harrying are important at times, but keeping shape and maintaining that discipline is much more important. 

I am sometimes one of those who wants the team to be more attacking minded when in possession. Sometimes going from the opposition penalty area to our own whilst maintaining possession can be frustrating. It feels like we are doing the other teams attacking for them and we often end up just pumping it forward again anyway. When possession football works its great but I remember too many games when we have given the other team the incentive to press us when we play it backwards. Just my view and I respect other views but I am a bit old school with my thinking. We don't score too many from our own half!

52 minutes ago, marmite said:

I am sometimes one of those who wants the team to be more attacking minded when in possession. Sometimes going from the opposition penalty area to our own whilst maintaining possession can be frustrating. It feels like we are doing the other teams attacking for them and we often end up just pumping it forward again anyway. When possession football works its great but I remember too many games when we have given the other team the incentive to press us when we play it backwards. Just my view and I respect other views but I am a bit old school with my thinking. We don't score too many from our own half!

I have no statistics to back this, but I feel we lose more possession trying to force a forward pass when it isn't on. I think the reason people think the oppoite is because it appears more immediately dangerous to lose possession at the back.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the same when I hear "**** 'em up, get into them",  Of course bothering  and harrying are important at times, but keeping shape and maintaining that discipline is much more important. 

Spot on PSR. 

21 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Its great to hear him say that, and im guessing its in reference to the Cardiff debacle v yesterday. He has to take responsibility for that as he took what is now our key player in the way we play....and moved him to another position!..hence why we didnt play the football we normally try to play. 

Glad he put it right yesterday and reverted back to a similar set up to what gave him his success before xmas. That includes not having Ryan Kent in the team to. 

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, I thought his post match interview was particularly insightful. If all fans would make the effort to actually listen to what he's saying then they would get a better understanding of what he's trying to do.

Bloody hell, you of ALL people should recognise when someone has their own agenda!

Remember? "conference manager"? Negativity week after week?

Obviously not been called into LJ's office and not had the courage of you own convictions again!

Ass spanking number 2?

Anyone but you, anyone but you 

8 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Its great to hear him say that, and im guessing its in reference to the Cardiff debacle v yesterday. He has to take responsibility for that as he took what is now our key player in the way we play....and moved him to another position!..hence why we didnt play the football we normally try to play. 

Glad he put it right yesterday and reverted back to a similar set up to what gave him his success before xmas. That includes not having Ryan Kent in the team to. 

Absolutely spot on mate. 

In also glad he put it right yesterday but he had an absolute shocker entirely of his own making last week. 

10 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Absolutely spot on mate. 

In also glad he put it right yesterday but he had an absolute shocker entirely of his own making last week. 

You must agree with @ChippenhamRed‘s post that LJ has got more right than wrong this season? 

He clearly has otherwise we wouldn’t be 6th having taken part in a cup semi final. He obviously felt his team selection for Cardiff was what was required for the win, it wasn’t and we lost. Cardiff were also trying to win the game too remember.

1 hour ago, marmite said:

I`m a bit the same TBH. The other thing we tend to forget is that from high up in the SS we can spot a pass that should be made but it`s a sight harder at pitch level. It amazes me when I watch from pitch side occasionally how any player can see where another one is if they`re any more than five yards away.

Archived