IGNORED

Big name ex footballers make pony managers.

Major Isewater

How many big name players have go on to be as successful in their coaching careers ? 

Some of the biggest have flopped completely, Maradona, Shearer, Zidane ..

Are there any who have touched greatness as coaches ? 

Most of the top managers had modest playing careers SAF, Mourinho, Wenger...

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How many big name players have go on to be as successful in their coaching careers ? 

I suppose it would be unusual for someone to be the best in the world in two different areas but certainly Pep was a top-class footballer, albeit not quite as exceptional as as a manager. And Cruyff may not have been as great a manager as as a player but he was still pretty damn influential.

Edit: I am doing Cruyff a disservice there. I did not realise quite how good his Barcelona management record was. 

Johan Cruyff did a very decent job at Ajax and Barca. He was once rated as the third best player in the world behind Pele and Maradona.

Guardiola was a Spanish international and a very decent midfielder although not in the same class as three above.

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Really? 

The oft quoted difficulty for good players not making good managers is getting through the “unknowingly incompetent > knowingly competent” journey that some players have to go through - they can’t relate as they started off being knowingly competent as players. If I recall, this is where Hoddle had an issue - he couldn’t understand why people couldn’t see things on the pitch as easily as he could when he played.

On topic, it’d be harsh to call out Zizou for this season having won the CL and La Liga last (managing RM doesn’t mean winning champs league is a given). If you did that, you’d have to group Mourinho and Conte as failures for Chelsea implosions the year after success.

And finally....Frank Beckenbauer?

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

how is Zidane a flop?

he won last la liga, champions league, Spanish super cup, uefa super cup, did a club world cup. just got his side into the quarer finals of the champions league and also currently sits 3rd in a very good league. 

what does he need to do to not be a flop?

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm confused- are you saying these are ex players who have flopped or done very nicely? Because unless the slang has changed, 'pony' means shit...and all of those have excellent records.

@Major Isewater Zidane certainly cannot be classed a flop by any stretch. He's having a bit of a tricky season in the League this year yes, but his overall record at Madrid is extremely good.

That's what I'm saying, they all disprove that.

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

How you spend your leisure time is your own business.

Good looking bloke though, fair play to you.

(on a serious note, isn’t he involved in Miami in the second tier of US “saw-ker”?)

Miami or Bristol it's a no brainer

42 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Some of the biggest have flopped completely, Maradona, Shearer, Zidane Tinnion ..

Corrected for you, Major.

Shearer is a bit of a funny one, down largely to the fact that Newcastle were on a downward spiral and had nothing to lose by appointing him. The fact that he was in charge and failed to keep them up, you could argue was down to the players that were already in place at the time.

Yes he did  nothing of note during this time, but with that team at the time, the world's best would have struggled with that bunch!!

In my defence Zidane is under a lot of pressure, not from me but  in Spain due to the club's ' poor ' season .

They have to do better then Barca which he is not doing at the moment.

Just for a bit of balance I'll raise you a Dean Saunders , and add a Tony Adams .

I opened a debate but will retract Zidane from the sample list.

As you were .

:yawn:

Archived