IGNORED

Player Ratings v Birmingham

Davefevs

Fielding 7 - two crucial saves tonight, one at 1-0 with his feet and one a deflected effort that dipped and bounced in front of him.

Bryan 8 - thought he did well against a player I always think is a tricky customer Maghoma.  Used his left foot cleverly in both defence and attack.  Looks much more like the Joe most of us like watching.  Some good thrusting runs and decent understanding with Brownhill.

Kelly 8 - pretty much what you’ve all said in other threads. A 19 year old who plays like a 29 year old.  #talent #future

Flint 7 - got a bit exposed early on down the side of him, but improved as the game wore on.  Was a spell in second half where he got 2 or 3 blocks in quick succession.  One of the players who I think hasn’t had his performances affected in the bad run.

Baker 6 - had a tough game against Jutkiewicz tonight.  He got backed into too easily, but better in second half when Pack screened in front.  Didn’t think he played the right type of ball into Djúric either....more on this later

Brownhill 7 - very bright early on, faded and then bright later on.  Worked hard with Bryan to stop Maghoma.

Reid 7 - struggled a bit at times on the left side, not quite timing his pressing and allowing his opponent to get that half a yard.  On the ball he did well, and when Djúric went off we started to see him tick, without ever looking like he would add to his tally.  Took his goal very well...and also got in good positions, e.g. fouled centrally for Pack’s freekick.

Smith 7 - typical Korey performance against a physical Brum midfield.  Got caught forward early game as Boga cheated his defensive duties.  Once that was solved we looked better, as did Korey.

Pack 9 - fantastic performance capped by a super freekick.  Good ranges of passing, got forward too giving us an extra option to pass to.  The screen in front of Baker was crucial to stopping Brum having no more than a 5-10 minute spell in second half.

Diedhiou 8 - almost my motm but Pack more deserving imho.  Top back to goal performance.  Ball stuck to him today, won some towering headers too, great headed layoff for Reid.  Great controlled aggression too, gave Dean a torrid night.

Djuric 5 - feel a bit for him tonight.  I don’t think we hit the right balls into him tonight against Morrison, who likes this type of challenge.  Too many chipped balls allowing Morrison to challenge knowing that the ball was never gonna expose him in behind.  Baker the biggest culprit, but Flint a few straight balls.  Might’ve helped if Djúric could’ve swapped and played against Dean.  Looked a bit heavy legged tonight, battled hard, just not his night.

Subs:

O’Dowda 6 - good to see him back

Taylor 7 - LJ called him a pest....spot on.  We’ve missed this type of contribution

O’Neil - not enough minutes

Thought Brum played their part and Jutkiewicz a real nuisance.  Nice to see a Brum keeper who doesn’t suck the life out of the game.

Referee - weak.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Djuric 5 - feel a bit for him tonight.  I don’t think we hit the right balls into him tonight against Morrison, who likes this type of challenge.  Too many chipped balls allowing Morrison to challenge knowing that the ball was never gonna expose him in behind.  Baker the biggest culprit, but Flint a few straight balls.  Might’ve helped if Djúric could’ve swapped and played against Dean.  Looked a bit heavy legged tonight, battled hard, just not his night.

Completely agree but there was nothing to attack from the wing, I wonder why we play him without natural wingers.

You've been kind on Brownhill - when you compare him to Korey and especially Reid who gets a goal and an assist and works his socks off for a 7 - I'm glad you never marked my homework!

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Completely agree but there was nothing to attack from the wing, I wonder why we play him without natural wingers.

You've been kind on Brownhill - when you compare him to Korey and especially Reid who gets a goal and an assist and works his socks off for a 7 - I'm glad you never marked my homework!

I don’t do halves!  I deliberated Josh’s 7, and he was probably 6.5....so I rounded up.  Smith’s negative point was allowing Boga to cheat on him and causing Flint and Baker to be exposed.  Reid’s was that he didn’t do as well defensively as the LM.

I’m tough!

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding 7 - two crucial saves tonight, one at 1-0 with his feet and one a deflected effort that dipped and bounced in front of him.

Bryan 8 - thought he did well against a player I always think is a tricky customer Maghoma.  Used his left foot cleverly in both defence and attack.  Looks much more like the Joe most of us like watching.  Some good thrusting runs and decent understanding with Brownhill.

Kelly 8 - pretty much what you’ve all said in other threads. A 19 year old who plays like a 29 year old.  #talent #future

Flint 7 - got a bit exposed early on down the side of him, but improved as the game wore on.  Was a spell in second half where he got 2 or 3 blocks in quick succession.  One of the players who I think hasn’t had his performances affected in the bad run.

Baker 6 - had a tough game against Jutkiewicz tonight.  He got backed into too easily, but better in second half when Pack screened in front.  Didn’t think he played the right type of ball into Djúric either....more on this later

Brownhill 7 - very bright early on, faded and then bright later on.  Worked hard with Bryan to stop Maghoma.

Reid 7 - struggled a bit at times on the left side, not quite timing his pressing and allowing his opponent to get that half a yard.  On the ball he did well, and when Djúric went off we started to see him tick, without ever looking like he would add to his tally.  Took his goal very well...and also got in good positions, e.g. fouled centrally for Pack’s freekick.

Smith 7 - typical Korey performance against a physical Brum midfield.  Got caught forward early game as Boga cheated his defensive duties.  Once that was solved we looked better, as did Korey.

Pack 9 - fantastic performance capped by a super freekick.  Good ranges of passing, got forward too giving us an extra option to pass to.  The screen in front of Baker was crucial to stopping Brum having no more than a 5-10 minute spell in second half.

Diedhiou 8 - almost my motm but Pack more deserving imho.  Top back to goal performance.  Ball stuck to him today, won some towering headers too, great headed layoff for Reid.  Great controlled aggression too, gave Dean a torrid night.

Subs:

O’Dowda 6 - good to see him back

Taylor 7 - LJ called him a pest....spot on.  We’ve missed this type of contribution

O’Neil - not enough minutes

Thought Brum played their part and Jutkiewicz a real nuisance.  Nice to see a Brum keeper who doesn’t suck the life out of the game.

Referee - weak.

Frankie 6 for being beaten at his near post.

Kelly 7 solid but not enough forward distribution or overlaps.

Totally agree on Diedhiou. Thought he was immense tonight.

2 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Just seen the highlights, could their goal have come off of Baker?

Won’t quote your post @Davefevs but possibly the ratings thread I’ve most agreed with

Enjoyed / Interesting reading , and totally agreee with virtually all your comments

My only change may be re Famara who I thought showed some excellent bits but , especially first half weak physically and brushed off ball far too easily on occasions

Hes a strange one as he can go from looking top drawer to non league or the reverse in a few seconds

Definitely better than he’s been in recent weeks

Wasnt happy at being subbed tho !!!!!

2 minutes ago, Tiree said:

Bryan was fantastic again and shows why is probably to the complete footballer at the club, lightening fast, great heading, tackling, versatile, and the only defender who can play both sides! Also  confident to beat players all over the pitch. Outstanding tonight. 

Thought he showed some real clas touches tonight

Tbf - Not many left backs / left sided players around that could play RB in the way he did tonight

Helps that his right foot isn’t bad

Wonder whether he might end up as a box to box central midfielder 

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

More blame on Baker for allowing him to get onto his left, should have shown him on his right towards the line

Unfortunately Jutkiewicz is fairly decent with either food....check out the occasion where goes on his right foot and Frankie saved, but Maghoma misses the follow-up.  Baker would be uncertain which foot he was going to go on.  The advantages of being two-footed.

Have to give Bobby an 8.

A goal and an assist and a crucial clearance and - as ever - he just never,  ever stopped running, harrassing,  closing down.

Bryan, by contrast, was nowhere near an 8 in my book. Mis-timed loads of attempted tackles, gave the ball away lots and was lucky on occasion to not be punished by the lenient ref. Signaled to come off at one time,  but for some reason ran the distance.  I'd give him 6 or 7, with the HUGE proviso he was playing an unfamiliar position. 

Brownhill however gets an 8 off me and for someone who didn't score, was arguably MOTM. An immense performance both in attack and defensively from the lad. Bob's goal simply wouldn't have happened without that inch-perfect punt to Fammy 's head from Brownhill. 

Otherwise I agree with the OP.

6 hours ago, Tiree said:

Bryan was fantastic again and shows why is probably to the complete footballer at the club, lightening fast, great heading, tackling, versatile, and the only defender who can play both sides! Also  confident to beat players all over the pitch. Outstanding tonight. 

He showed some lovely tricks as well .

Welcome back Joe .

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Unfortunately Jutkiewicz is fairly decent with either food....check out the occasion where goes on his right foot and Frankie saved, but Maghoma misses the follow-up.  Baker would be uncertain which foot he was going to go on.  The advantages of being two-footed.

Carey was talking about it on the radio, let him back on his left shot and cross are on, force show him up the byline and only the cross is on as he's sitting off him too

I thought Famara and Kelly were the stand out players last night. Famara actually looked 100% fit and caused the defence no end of problems. Great assist for Bobby's goal. Lost the ball a couple of times by not laying it off more quickly, reminded me of Kodjia.

Kelly has already had rave reviews!

Bryan playing at RB.........LJ certainly keeps us guessing with his selections......

Good to see Taylor back as well. Great substitution by LJ to bring him on and he bags the killer goal!

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Won’t quote your post @Davefevs but possibly the ratings thread I’ve most agreed with

Enjoyed / Interesting reading , and totally agreee with virtually all your comments

My only change may be re Famara who I thought showed some excellent bits but , especially first half weak physically and brushed off ball far too easily on occasions

Hes a strange one as he can go from looking top drawer to non league or the reverse in a few seconds

Definitely better than he’s been in recent weeks

Wasnt happy at being subbed tho !!!!!

Agree, passion is such a cliche but maybe due to being on the end of some sly off the ball stuff Fammy was well up for it last night.

Loved it when he got the crowd going.

One of his better games for me.

8 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Think you are being harsh on Kelly. I doubt he was asked to overlap or play killer balls. He had Bobby Reid in front of him who often roamed and isn’t a natural winger. Kelly was the only one on the left at times and to me it looked like he was asked to stay a bit further back because he wouldn’t always have the cover in front of him. He was asked to defend tonight and he did that fantastically. 

Davefevs. Agree with comment about aerial balls to Djuric. Too many floaters and would have been more effective if driven in the same way of that Brum corner in second half. The one their guy headed wide. What a cross and what a miss. 

We play too many longer balls and crosses that "float". A ball driven at pace gives the receiver some momentum to use the pace of the ball. 

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think you are being harsh on Kelly. I doubt he was asked to overlap or play killer balls. He had Bobby Reid in front of him who often roamed and isn’t a natural winger. Kelly was the only one on the left at times and to me it looked like he was asked to stay a bit further back because he wouldn’t always have the cover in front of him. He was asked to defend tonight and he did that fantastically. 

Good post

I actually thought that it was really reassuring , that without even looking’  I knew Lloyd Kelly would be ‘in shape’ / position last night

Undoubtedly playing as he was asked , and that in itself is another plus 

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Have to give Bobby an 8.

A goal and an assist and a crucial clearance and - as ever - he just never,  ever stopped running, harrassing,  closing down.

Bryan, by contrast, was nowhere near an 8 in my book. Mis-timed loads of attempted tackles, gave the ball away lots and was lucky on occasion to not be punished by the lenient ref. Signaled to come off at one time,  but for some reason ran the distance.  I'd give him 6 or 7, with the HUGE proviso he was playing an unfamiliar position. 

Brownhill however gets an 8 off me and for someone who didn't score, was arguably MOTM. An immense performance both in attack and defensively from the lad. Bob's goal simply wouldn't have happened without that inch-perfect punt to Fammy 's head from Brownhill. 

Joe Bryan gave the ball away nine times. Not great or exceptionally bad. 

Baker gave the ball away thirteen times. Kelly six from less passes and far simpler play. Aden Flint eleven (lot of passes quite high passing accuracy). Frank Fielding hit Birmingham's players more with the ball than Bristol City's.

Bryans crossing/long passing was very good generally finding team mates.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Joe Bryan gave the ball away nine times. Not great or exceptionally bad. 

Baker gave the ball away thirteen times. Kelly six from less passes and far simpler play. Aden Flint eleven (lot of passes quite high passing accuracy). Frank Fielding hit Birmingham's players more with the ball than Bristol City's.

Bryans crossing/long passing was very good generally finding team mates.

By his high standards I still don't think Bryan had the great game others have said, but there are reasons for that.

I do agree with the consensus that the pick of the defence was Lloyd Kelly and last night's weakest link was Baker.

Marks out of 10 are a very subjective thing, but what I find strangest in some people's scoring is giving Famara a higher score than Bobby.  It was great to see Bobby back to his busy best.

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Have to give Bobby an 8.

Was Joe Bryan’s cross / ball RR , not Josh ;)

Similar to the one JB put in for BR to hook back to MD who volleyed just wide

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought he showed some real clas touches tonight

Tbf - Not many left backs / left sided players around that could play RB in the way he did tonight

Helps that his right foot isn’t bad

Wonder whether he might end up as a box to box central midfielder 

That is what he is. A midfielder  -  he is wasted at the back.

Archived