IGNORED

Slowly but surely building a bigger Bristol City?

reddogkev

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cardiff? And Birmingham isn’t much further from Bristol than both Reading and Swansea....

Ah yeah, forgot about Cardiff and Birmingham.

Still, if we go up it can push our fanbase on in a way that others cannot, because Birmingham and Villa have a lot of clubs of decent profile in decent range, I guess Cardiff could be similar to us in some ways on paper.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yeah, forgot about Cardiff and Birmingham.

Still, if we go up it can push our fanbase on in a way that others cannot, because Birmingham and Villa have a lot of clubs of decent profile in decent range, I guess Cardiff could be similar to us in some ways on paper.

I do remember during our four years at the top in the late ‘70s we had fans coming to see us from Gloucester, South Wales and all along the M4 corridor...

26 minutes ago, hodge said:

You make a great point in the first paragraph about job assurance leading to the ability to play youth. A flipped example, Mourinho's average span at clubs is 3 years, it's rumoured that they're selling Rashford and Martial in the summer, two lads who COULD be key to Utd for several years at least if developed, but because Jose is all about a team for now he wants players who will only have a few years in them at their peak, looks at Sanchez for example. 

It's an interesting one. Surely everything is about the now... You never know tomorrow may never come.

As much as I like the idea of building for the future a twist of fate can ruin that plan and years of planning and money. I sometimes wonder if the mourinho way is the right way to go... You certainly can't argue with the trophy cabinate and sure that is what all sport is about.. Not building for a sustainable future. 

Sport is about the glory surely? About winning. Otherwise what is the point? 

1 minute ago, TRL said:

It's an interesting one. Surely everything is about the now... You never know tomorrow may never come.

As much as I like the idea of building for the future a twist of fate can ruin that plan and years of planning and money. I sometimes wonder if the mourinho way is the right way to go... You certainly can't argue with the trophy cabinate and sure that is what all sport is about.. Not building for a sustainable future. 

Now steady on old chap , we don't want to go upsetting people with that sort of talk .

29 minutes ago, TRL said:

Successful as Mou has been at Utd, I think I’d prefer the Ferguson approach - slow, steady, sustainable. And when success comes, it comes with a thunder :)

1 hour ago, hodge said:

You make a great point in the first paragraph about job assurance leading to the ability to play youth. A flipped example, Mourinho's average span at clubs is 3 years, it's rumoured that they're selling Rashford and Martial in the summer, two lads who COULD be key to Utd for several years at least if developed, but because Jose is all about a team for now he wants players who will only have a few years in them at their peak, looks at Sanchez for example. 

Chelsea who change manager normally every 1 or 2 seasons have sold Lukaku, Salah and De Bryne in the last 5 years because they were not ready yet. If your employer demands results now, your just chucking a house up and forgetting about the foundations. 

5 minutes ago, City Ben said:

Successful as Mou has been at Utd, I think I’d prefer the Ferguson approach - slow, steady, sustainable. And when success comes, it comes with a thunder :)

It's true. But his legacy hasn't amounted to much. Maybe if they had kept the philosophy but they binned off moyes then hiddink 

The man u way or should that read the Ferguson way was great for 15 20 years but when the success goes the fans don't like it.. just look at the bikle coming from their supports with them 2nd in the league.

History is great... just ask Blackpool, but I still think the hear and now is more important in sport that the what might be if everything just so happens to fall into place

43 minutes ago, TRL said:

Surely to win trophies, any club need to be to have the quality to do so and looking at the trophy cabinet at AG it's pretty bare. A few Micky Mouse cups and one League 2 trophy iirc. 

Progressing gradually is the way forward imv.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Surely to win trophies, any club need to be to have the quality to do so and looking at the trophy cabinet at AG it's pretty bare. A few Micky Mouse cups and one League 2 trophy iirc. 

Progressing gradually is the way forward imv.

I look at the successful teams in the past 10 years. I see Man City, Chelsea and Man U. Man U's long term sucess built off a once in a lifetime crop of youngsters with millions pounds worth of talent bought in to supplement it.

Chelsea bar a couple of stalwarts who again were bought in not nurtured spent millions around these players.

Man city the same.

If we look at cup success  we can look at Liverpool and arsenal one team bringing through a smattering of youth supplemented by millions spent. Another million spent on other teams youth with 4 or 5 big name players  bought for a lot of money

I don't see the gradual approach has worked successfully anywhere in recent times. If you go back 15 to 20 years you could argue man u.

Unless you have the history to attract a few good players along the way. Slow and steady will get you exactly that.. Not trophies.  You may get the odd Leicester blip but a one off trophy they were unable to follow up on.

24 minutes ago, TRL said:

It's true. But his legacy hasn't amounted to much. Maybe if they had kept the philosophy but they binned off moyes then hiddink 

The man u way or should that read the Ferguson way was great for 15 20 years but when the success goes the fans don't like it.. just look at the bikle coming from their supports with them 2nd in the league.

History is great... just ask Blackpool, but I still think the hear and now is more important in sport that the what might be if everything just so happens to fall into place

I think his legacy has amounted to quite a lot.but I agree they stuffed up with Mo yes then hiddink, completely different styles  

Anyway... Are you arguing that 15-20 years of success wouldn’t be good enough if we couldn’t guarantee it would continue? 

I’m not sure I fully understand your post my friend. 

44 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Chelsea who change manager normally every 1 or 2 seasons have sold Lukaku, Salah and De Bryne in the last 5 years because they were not ready yet. If your employer demands results now, your just chucking a house up and forgetting about the foundations. 

Bingo, they've identified the talent well to bring it in but no interest it getting maximum success from those players and often make losses on selling them (Martial signed for £36m rising to over £55m, rumoured price he can leave for in summer in summer £39m). Chances Martial goes on to be a big success at another club? Think Rashford could be an excellent premier league player in a few years if used effectively but Jose probably knows he won't be around then so whats the point for him. Just creates massive transfer spends each summer, some will say they can afford it but then Man Utd are still £450m odd in debt (Jan 2017).

Its something I think about with City and our youngsters, Taylor Moore, Zak Vyner etc, the success now and millions spent to bring in talent or allow these guys to develop into first team players at a fraction of the cost or just wages over time with academy players. 

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Man Utd were £450m in debt in January 2017, 200m euros more than any club in europe, how long can that continue? Especially if Utd's net spend each year goes up. 

15 minutes ago, City Ben said:

I think his legacy has amounted to quite a lot.but I agree they stuffed up with Mo yes then hiddink, completely different styles  

Anyway... Are you arguing that 15-20 years of success wouldn’t be good enough if we couldn’t guarantee it would continue? 

I’m not sure I fully understand your post my friend. 

My thoughts are you should live in the here and now. Not the past and not the future.

Sport is about winning things now, not living on past glories or potential but not guaranteed plans.

I know that means 98% of teams are going to fail every year. But this should be the aim.  Not as are not ready to go up this year. Or we are not ready to challenge for the league this year.

I know it's all pie in the sky, but from purely a sporting perspective this is how I see it.

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I was going to add something intelligent, profound and funny but can't remember what it was .

Think you did that in 2011 Major. :) 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Man Utd were £450m in debt in January 2017, 200m euros more than any club in europe, how long can that continue? Especially if Utd's net spend each year goes up. 

That is due to the glaizers and their operating model. They were making big profits before they got their mitts on it, and still should be

4 hours ago, spudski said:

It's already going that way fella...plenty on here were unhappy with the recent price hike. And you think it won't get more expensive if we went up? Seriously?

I'd also like to add, it has nothing to do with where you are from, or class.

There are plenty of working class people with bags of money, just as there are middle class with no money. It all depends what disposable income is left every month.

There are so many fans that turn up when we go to Finals, play offs and play Prem teams. Those are the ones that will become more regular if we go up.

When Huddersfield went up I believe they kept season tickets at £199. Next season all adults are £249. Kids £49.

With £150m in tv money you can keep prices down. While we are in this division we need reasonable ticket income to have any chance of meeting FFP rules and competing for promotion.

So I don't see any reason why we would have to whack up prices if promoted. In fact I suspect it might improve the chances of them being kept down.

2 hours ago, City Ben said:

1. In no way can you compare us Manchester United regarding approach

2. For all of the success the Class of 96 brought them, they were the ones that made it out of 100's of Academy players at the club both then and now. They scout the world for talent and bring them and their families to the U.K. if they believe they have a chance of making it - I confidently predict we will NEVER have that ability.

3. Fergie got lucky with the Nevilles Scholes Beckham etc - until they broke through he was still spending huge sums on players ( huge for the time).

It was 'slow', he almost got fired.

It wasn't 'steady' see above.

'Sustainable' - check out how much he spent on players - it is  eyewatering.

The current starting 11 at Old Trafford has potentially one Academy player in it - Rashford or McTominey, and that is nothing new for the last 10 years.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

When Huddersfield went up I believe they kept season tickets at £199. Next season all adults are £249. Kids £49.

With £150m in tv money you can keep prices down. While we are in this division we need reasonable ticket income to have any chance of meeting FFP rules and competing for promotion.

So I don't see any reason why we would have to whack up prices if promoted. In fact I suspect it might improve the chances of them being kept down.

We aren't Huddersfield though...we are affluent Bristol, with hardly any competition for miles around.

Sadly I don't think we will get to redevelop the Atyeo or Dolman. BS3 has changed too much and whilst this has made the area more affluent these aren't City fans. Any changes requiring planning simply won't get through due to pressure from influential interest groups who may have moved to Bristol but have no history or the city's best interests at heart. The only way we will expand is by relocating preferably to Hartcliffe. Sad.

32 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

1. In no way can you compare us Manchester United regarding approach

2. For all of the success the Class of 96 brought them, they were the ones that made it out of 100's of Academy players at the club both then and now. They scout the world for talent and bring them and their families to the U.K. if they believe they have a chance of making it - I confidently predict we will NEVER have that ability.

3. Fergie got lucky with the Nevilles Scholes Beckham etc - until they broke through he was still spending huge sums on players ( huge for the time).

It was 'slow', he almost got fired.

It wasn't 'steady' see above.

'Sustainable' - check out how much he spent on players - it is  eyewatering.

The current starting 11 at Old Trafford has potentially one Academy player in it - Rashford or McTominey, and that is nothing new for the last 10 years.

Jesse Lingard.

Manchester Utd have consistently produced players for their XI over decades.

33 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Jesse Lingard.

Manchester Utd have consistently produced players for their XI over decades.

Always baffles me when people say this isn't the case. You see it a lot.

Of everything you can accuse the mancs of, not producing their own talent isn't one of them.

United definitely bring youth in.

For all the criticism of Van Gaal, he gave Borthwick-Jackson, Lingard and Rashford their head.

Martial young, signed from aboard. Fosu-Mensah from academy but Ajax originally.

Yet, under Mourinho those full backs- and Shaw who was signed while also young. None of those 6 kicked on as they would had Van Gaal stayed IMO.

Indeed as much as I dislike man u they do bring the youth through and give them a chance even under jose. But then they do have the history and the not long long distance success to bring in the top young talent 

If they wanted our best young talent they would take it for low hundreds of thousands instead of millions (depending on age)  so their task in modern day football has been made even easier with the current academy model.

Hi hun what for a top level academy 

Archived