IGNORED

Expectations

Bs4Red

I find it interesting reading this forum and twitter etc sometimes. 

It does show how expectations of fans are so far away from the expectations of the club. 

The clubs ambition short term is to consolidate our championship status and work towards the premier league. This takes time and during that time you’re going to lose players, it’s simple as that. 

In my opinion we have made good money on Flint and Bobby. We will buy and I think we have a good player in Webster. 

I just think as fans as frustrating as it is we must see the clubs ambitions. If you do that there will be less frustration and anger when things like this happen. 

Must remember this will be our 3rd season back in the Championship. We must become sustainable in a day and age where clubs are going under left right and centre. As frustrating as it is, it’s the right thing to do imo. 

1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

It does show how expectations of fans are so far away from the expectations of the club. 

The clubs ambition short term is to consolidate our championship status and work towards the premier league. This takes time and during that time you’re going to lose players, it’s simple as that. 

In my opinion we have made good money on Flint and Bobby. We will buy and I think we have a good player in Webster. 

I just think as fans as frustrating as it is we must see the clubs ambitions. If you do that there will be less frustration and anger when things like this happen. 

Must remember this will be our 3rd season back in the Championship. We must become sustainable in a day and age where clubs are going under left right and centre. As frustrating as it is, it’s the right thing to do imo. 

All well and good and probably the right thing to do however as a season ticket holder of 12 years in the row i'm beginning to lose the love after a shit 2nd half to last season, if this season goes as i expect (A dismal Flop with excuses a many) I'll be calling time!!

1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

How long has it been though?  Look at where we were, where we’ve been and where we are now.

If not now, when? As the club said.

lets face it we were in the best position for over a decade and completely ****** it.

As far as expectations go I’d expect a team in the automatics prior to the January transfer window to at least make the bloody playoffs.

My expectations for next season are poorer now. Mid table at best I think.

It depends on how good the replacements are of course, but I may have thought twice about renewing my season card even though we anticipated losing a couple.

Hope the 15m is put to good use as we now need a striker, goalkeeper, right back and centre half just to stand still.

If Joe goes too, the team is going to look decidedly week.

2 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

All well and good and probably the right thing to do however as a season ticket holder of 12 years in the row i'm beginning to lose the love after a shit 2nd half to last season, if this season goes as i expect (A dismal Flop with excuses a many) I'll be calling time!!

But I bet you enjoyed the first half of last season and the cup run?

What do you expect next season?

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

My expectations for next season are poorer now. Mid table at best I think.

It depends on how good the replacements are of course, but I may have thought twice about renewing my season card even though we anticipated losing a couple.

Hope the 15m is put to good use as we now need a striker, goalkeeper, right back and centre half just to stand still.

If Joe goes too, the team is going to look decidedly week.

Suggest we all wait and see who comes and goes before we write off next season

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

4th season....and who are the clubs who have gone under ‘left right and centre’? That sounds like loads!

In recent times, 

Bolton, Pompey, Blackpool, Villa, Palace 

There are also more who have not gone ‘under’ but are in money troubles all chasing the premier league. Maybe didn’t say it very clearly. Apologies

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

But I bet you enjoyed the first half of last season and the cup run?

What do you expect next season?

The honest answer to that INCRED is absolutely nothing, thats where i'm at with City right now, I didn't even get excited with the fixture release for once... It all feels a bit dead TBH!!

10 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

In recent times, 

Bolton, Pompey, Blackpool, Villa, Palace 

There are also more who have not gone ‘under’ but are in money troubles all chasing the premier league. Maybe didn’t say it very clearly. Apologies

Financial difficulties doesn’t automatically mean they ‘went under’ - they’d cease to exist if that was the case....

Before the window.

Expectation were Mid-table, maybe Top 10.

Now. Knowing Webster is Flint's replacement and the Norwich views on Watkins.

Now Ill be happy with 19th-20th.

Avoiding relegation, basically. Consolidating.

Our recruitment isnt good enough..

The last window Is say we did good business would be Cotts' last summer. That wasn't enough then. Buts the last time we targeted players who have all proven themselves bar one or two *cough* Simon Cox.

36 players later, and as of this moment, FF, Baker, Bryan, Pack, and Smith, will all be lining up for us again. And we still are crying out for a Goalkeeper. A Right-back. A (Creative) Centre-Mid. Despite signing the like of Giefer, Steele, Matthews, and likely a few others.

I await and hope Im proven wrong however.

8 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

so not great expectations then!

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Before the window.

Expectation were Mid-table, maybe Top 10.

Now. Knowing Webster is Flint's replacement and the Norwich views on Watkins.

Now Ill be happy with 19th-20th.

Avoiding relegation, basically. Consolidating.

Our recruitment isnt good enough..

36 players later, and as of this moment, FF, Baker, Bryan, Pack, and Smith, will all be lining up for us again. And we still are crying out for a Goalkeeper. A Right-back. A (Creative) Centre-Mid. Despite signing the like of Giefer, Steele, Matthews, and likely a few others.

I await and hope Im proven wrong however.

I think it's very difficult to accurately predict where we're going to be before we've replaced anyone.

Webster sounds an interesting one, he's a good age, got experience of the league and is very able. People have been crying out for players with experience of the league.. and he's got it. Flint is big shoes to fill, but if he's coming here he's coming at the same age as Flint was when he joined but he's played at a higher standard earlier in his career. Thing that concerns me is the injuries.

Marriot looks a good signing too. Peterborough have a brilliant track record, especially with forwards, and lots of their fans rating him higher than Gayle and Assombalonga is promising. They know a good forward when they see one. Feels like a fairly big fee for someone with no experience of the league however. Then again, we've recruited forwards very well recently so should give our recruitment the benefit of the doubt.

I don't really care what Norwich fans think about Watkins. He obviously didn't fit their style, and that's so important. Sometimes it doesn't click for a player at a club for whatever reason.. Leko, Woodrow, Diony and Kent are all good players in their own right in my opinion, but none of them were particularly effective here. Having a bad season or a bad few months doesn't automatically make someone a bad player. LJ knows him, he's got experience of the league, is versatile and will add running and physicality. I think it's a good deal at £1m. Let's wait and see on him.

The club's expectations need to be to improve on last year. That looks like a tall order when some of your best players leave, but I am pleased it's happening early in the window. Gives us plenty of time to get replacements in, and make sure they're the right replacements.

The last window Is say we did good business would be Cotts' last summer. That wasn't enough then. Buts the last time we targeted players who have all proven themselves bar one or two *cough* Simon Cox.

I think it's a real stretch to say this. I don't see how it's possible to argue we did good business when we started the season with such a threadbare squad. He was clearly targeting a good calibre of player, but couldn't get them over the line. We all know the rumours about board meddling.. but the bottom line is that these transfers didn't happen.

We started the season with a weak squad and struggled. Can't see how anyone can say we did 'good business' that summer based on that. 

By my reckoning the last season we did 'good business' was the double winning season. I think every incoming player was successful. Obviously it's more difficult in the Championship when you're competing with some huge clubs so that should come into consideration too. You're unlikely to have a perfect summer of recruitment when you're many player's 4th or 5th choice club.

My expectations next season?

Relegation battle. Its that simple. This club is showing pathetic ambition by selling our best players to championship clubs and not putting up any type of resistance to a club like Cardiff. That's not inspiring stuff. How anybody can see us as anything but bottom tier is beyond me when we are showing that we are happy to sell all our best players. This pre season is turning into a ******* joke. 

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Relegation battle. Its that simple. This club is showing pathetic ambition by selling our best players to championship clubs and not putting up any type of resistance to a club like Cardiff. That's not inspiring stuff. How anybody can see us as anything but bottom tier is beyond me when we are showing that we are happy to sell all our best players. This pre season is turning into a ******* joke. 

And take a breath....

while im not at all confident of progression this coming season, I think we should wait until we have signed some players before writing off the pre season. Specially as  theee is 6/7 weeks of the window left and the players haven’t started preseason yet.

lets at least wait until we’ve spunked the £20m on some 2nd division Skandanavians before going into meltdown.

maybe LJ has more say in recruitment this year, and is actually working to a plan, stranger things have happened. 

As for losing our best players, can’t be many who didn’t expect Flint (nearly went last year and 29) and Reid (wouldn’t sign a new contract) to go. There will be at least one more I expect. Annoying, but that where we are in the food chain right now.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Can I refer you to my ' Speculation ' thread which may just save you a call to the Samaritans ? 

13 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

With the greatest of respect Steve Lansdown has been in charge for 15 years and invested a sum of money that people see to think is between £150m to £200m.

How long should should Steve’s plan to reach the premier league take (assuming that was and is his plan) and how would you judge the footballing return on that investment over those 15 years?

There seems to be a view that we were massively in debt and Steve has come in a couple of years ago and now needs time to set his plan in motion. The truth is he’s been in charge for 15 years, invested a huge sum of money and we’ve bounced between division 2 and 3. We knocked on the door of the premiership once and have also glanced over our shoulder at division 4 a couple of times.

For the first 12 years of Lansdown owning the club I was a huge supporter and believed in everything he said. Now I find myself feeling ambivalent to him.

It’s wonderful that he’s built such a tradable assets off of the pitch and I’m grateful that he covers the losses that the business operation he created, now generates. It would reckless and immoral if he didn’t.

No, I don’t know who else would own the club and it’s been like this for so long, I don’t know an alternative.

We are told we are building for the future yet continue to cash in on our best assets :blink: seems well established clubs out there prefer our players to others available, yet we prefer others to our own.

Seems to me we cannot get out of the ground let alone build anything as we keep knocking it down, why is this? will we not pay for the best players or our own players wage demands? if this is so we will never get anywhere and will just continue on the roundabout. :sleeping:

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

Thing is though Atticus even though it hurts to admit it Cardiff are a bigger club than we are purley on the fact that they are and have been in the Prem now and recently. God that hurts to write that. Member playing them when they were really shit. 

2 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Thing is though Atticus even though it hurts to admit it Cardiff are a bigger club than we are purley on the fact that they are and have been in the Prem now and recently. God that hurts to write that. Member playing them when they were really shit. 

This is the sad truth. By almost any metric, Cardiff are not a ‘big’ club, but they have placed great importance on playing in the premiership.

I don’t understand how the business model Bristol Sport run will ever lead to success.  But then I think my measure of success which is eventually playoffs/promotion, is different to theirs (sustainability).  If you give a squad a couple of seasons to gel, start playing well and give yourself a chance for promotion surely you loosen the sustainability purse strings a little and go for it.  Maybe a few top end big money loan deals that clubs would find hard to refuse, with limited long term downside in regards to financial commitment.  Everytime you don’t make it, your stars are in the shop window, leave (good for sustainability) and you start again.  Has a club ever got promotion to the prem following this model? (Maybe Swansea but that feels like a lifetime ago).   I think it needs an unlikely amount of luck.  All I see with this approach is either it eventually catches you out like Barnsley and you end up relegated (then we see crowds and corporate involvement evaporate and sustainability take a hit) or you flatter but never fulfill your potential like Brentford.

My expectations for next season are lower mid table. We had an outstanding start to last season, blew it in January, and now face losing out better players and re-building. The Club is moving forward in the right direction, and looking at sustainability and development, rather than the "splash the cash then crash" model. We just have to accept that, in Championship terms, we are a relatively small club with no Premiership history, and keep expectations realistic. One year it will be our turn.

15 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Have I missed something? Which clubs have 'gone under' left right and centre?

Archived