IGNORED

Expectations

Bs4Red

10 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I literally just said that. Thanks for agreeing.

It’s too hot to disagree with a fellow BS4-er! BUT you said loads of clubs ‘went under’ - that means bust, don’t exist anymore, yet the ones you quoted are all still up and running, but like you said, I probably misunderstood......anyway, enjoy the sun and the England game Chief...cheers

3 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

We are told we are building for the future yet continue to cash in on our best assets :blink: seems well established clubs out there prefer our players to others available, yet we prefer others to our own.

Seems to me we cannot get out of the ground let alone build anything as we keep knocking it down, why is this? will we not pay for the best players or our own players wage demands? if this is so we will never get anywhere and will just continue on the roundabout. :sleeping:

Selling 29-year old Flint for a big sum and reinvesting in a young defender with Championship experience and a lot of acclaim is building for the future. Selling Bobby Reid to a Premier League team for up to £10 million is a deal you can't turn down. 

24 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Selling 29-year old Flint for a big sum and reinvesting in a young defender with Championship experience and a lot of acclaim is building for the future. Selling Bobby Reid to a Premier League team for up to £10 million is a deal you can't turn down. 

Personally I’ve no problem with the transfers out and from a sustainability angle they are non brainers.  I just don’t get how we ever get over the line if every few years you start again.  Surely the last window was the time to move away from the model and take a small, calculated gamble? It seems we will have to rely 4 or 5 new recruits clicking at the same time and becoming better than what we let go.  We are also relying on our scouting network dramatically improving and our management doing likewise.  That’s a lot to fall into place and a lot of luck needed in a 2/3 year cycle in order for us to push on.

2 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Personally I’ve no problem with the transfers out and from a sustainability angle they are non brainers.  I just don’t get how we ever get over the line if every few years you start again.  Surely the last window was the time to move away from the model and take a small, calculated gamble? It seems we will have to rely 4 or 5 new recruits clicking at the same time and becoming better than what we let go.  We are also relying on our scouting network dramatically improving and our management doing likewise.  That’s a lot to fall into place and a lot of luck needed in a 2/3 year cycle in order for us to push on.

In fairness, I think every team has to start again after a few years. I can only think of Real Madrid and Barcelona that have a core that stay for more than 5 years.

To me, Diony and Kent were small, calculated gambles. They just didn't work. Kent tore up the league for Barnsley in a previous season and Diony had a better record in Ligue 1 than either of our successful purchases from France. We've made progress, but we're not at the level we want to be at yet. I feel that's a fair reflection.

And our scouting network already appears far wider and more nuanced than it has been in recent times. Not everything we do will work, and we will have to restructure the squad every now and again because we're not a big hitter in the division. But we're going in the right direction.

12 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

In fairness, I think every team has to start again after a few years. I can only think of Real Madrid and Barcelona that have a core that stay for more than 5 years.

To me, Diony and Kent were small, calculated gambles. They just didn't work. Kent tore up the league for Barnsley in a previous season and Diony had a better record in Ligue 1 than either of our successful purchases from France. We've made progress, but we're not at the level we want to be at yet. I feel that's a fair reflection.

And our scouting network already appears far wider and more nuanced than it has been in recent times. Not everything we do will work, and we will have to restructure the squad every now and again because we're not a big hitter in the division. But we're going in the right direction.

I think this season is the real test of LJ credential as a manager, the team around him as coaches, the scouting network and MA ability to get the right deals done.  

LJ tenure at best has been inconsistent and the same could be said about recruitment and player development.

LJ has had the luxury of inheriting a decent spine of a team, professionals who have been with City for years and can more than hold their own at Championship level.  Players who other Championship and prem clubs see as the ones to push them on

This season it looks like LJ and his coaches will have no hiding place and our recruitment will have to up their game as we definitely need ones for now and can’t hide behind ‘ones for the future’.  I guess the criteria of year on year league position improvement which has been the staple of our defence of LJ poor runs will be put to the test

For me it’s a defining season

I thought we'd lose some key players, but I expected us to replace them extremely quickly, with rumours of imminent signings as players were leaving.

Admittedly, Reid for £10m is a steal when you consider his wages were probably low, meaning we've got a lot of space free in the budget, but that means we'll be paying high for whoever we bring in next, as teams know we have money and the budget.

I'm fine with Vyner getting his chance in the first team, but I'd be more comfortable with a new spine to the team. With that being said, the expectation should be improvement, because that's what the club has sold to us. I think mid-to-lower table is what we'll get, but I think anything other than top half of the table should be enough for LJ to get the sack.

I think we need four players to challenge for promotion. A new keeper, an experienced defender to ease Vyner in, a solid midfielder, and a top-class forward.

7 hours ago, Atticus said:

My expectations next season?

Relegation battle. Its that simple. This club is showing pathetic ambition by selling our best players to championship clubs and not putting up any type of resistance to a club like Cardiff. That's not inspiring stuff. How anybody can see us as anything but bottom tier is beyond me when we are showing that we are happy to sell all our best players. This pre season is turning into a ******* joke. 

@petehinton I used the gif reaction on the wrong person....

I'm getting a sense of de ja vue.  People consigning us to a season long and ultimately doomed relegation battle last season, listening to fans bemoaning signing Fammy etc. Who would have put any money on the league and cup run we had prior to Christmas? Yes the wheels came off after and maybe (or more so probably ) we should have strengthened in January. But would we have upset the balance by bringing in to many new faces signed for the 1st team, meaning those who got us where we were could lose their starting  place?

As things stand now we do look weaker, but we have breathing space in terms of transfer fees and wages (not sure how much Flint was on but I'm sure it was top end of the budget) we also have several weeks to get the right replacements in. As for my expectations that's easy I just want us to be competitive. We already have a half decent squad and with the right positions fill I believe we will be competitive. But at the end of the day we'll have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s too hot to disagree with a fellow BS4-er! BUT you said loads of clubs ‘went under’ - that means bust, don’t exist anymore, yet the ones you quoted are all still up and running, but like you said, I probably misunderstood......anyway, enjoy the sun and the England game Chief...cheers

In the statement after I did try to clear up my point that not under but financial struggles which you then agreed with. You too fella up the England 

3 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Well as far as I am aware we have only signed a 27yr old, hardly a youngster and no defender as yet; as for Reids replacement as long as hes not from Sweden we will see; we don't have to do much to better the last window though do we.

I will repeat; if we are supposed to be building a squad to challenge why do we keep ripping it apart every year, surely you can see this will get us nowhere. :dunno:

53 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Well as far as I am aware we have only signed a 27yr old, hardly a youngster and no defender as yet; as for Reids replacement as long as hes not from Sweden we will see; we don't have to do much to better the last window though do we.

I will repeat; if we are supposed to be building a squad to challenge why do we keep ripping it apart every year, surely you can see this will get us nowhere. :dunno:

How about now?

Also, it makes no sense whatsoever to compare our summer business to this year's January business. Feel like a lot of people need to get over the fact that we made signings that had the potential to pay off and didn't.

You're speaking like we're voluntarily chucking away our players - we held onto Flint last summer, and supposedly held off strong interest for Bryan in January. No player is bigger than the club, and no club is stupid enough to turn down good offers for their players if they think it's worth it. 

I will repeat, it's clearly not getting us nowhere, as we keep finishing higher in the table season after season.

58 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Completely agree, but that is the plan if the right money is offered.

On another thread this is being explained as gradual progression - fantastic!! by the time we have 'progressed' the Championship will have a majority of clubs in it with PL experience, infrastructure and £.

The plan would appear geared to self-sustainability - great - but there is a better and quicker way to do that - get promoted!

47 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Completely agree, but that is the plan if the right money is offered.

On another thread this is being explained as gradual progression - fantastic!! by the time we have 'progressed' the Championship will have a majority of clubs in it with PL experience, infrastructure and £.

The plan would appear geared to self-sustainability - great - but there is a better and quicker way to do that - get promoted!

Already does- in terms of infrastructure at least. Most clubs have the infrastructure in a lot of ways at this level, not necessarily PL experience or parachute payments but infrastructure? Yeah, very much so.

22 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I find it interesting reading this forum and twitter etc sometimes. 

It does show how expectations of fans are so far away from the expectations of the club. 

The clubs ambition short term is to consolidate our championship status and work towards the premier league. This takes time and during that time you’re going to lose players, it’s simple as that. 

In my opinion we have made good money on Flint and Bobby. We will buy and I think we have a good player in Webster. 

I just think as fans as frustrating as it is we must see the clubs ambitions. If you do that there will be less frustration and anger when things like this happen. 

Must remember this will be our 3rd season back in the Championship. We must become sustainable in a day and age where clubs are going under left right and centre. As frustrating as it is, it’s the right thing to do imo. 

I don’t believe that reaching the Premier League is what City are aiming for?

How are we going to replace a Premier League striker for less than £9 Million with crap wages?

The ambition is to run the club as a business and invest in an academy that produces young players to sell.

If City drop a division then they will re-invest to regain promotion and then sell again for profit.

If anyone thinks that the Lansdowns are just in it the throw money at City like a charity then you are very much mistaken.

You only have to look at the January transfer window to see that City had no ambition to reach the Premier League. 

The club will feed you the lie to get you to buy your season tickets, but BCFC are very much a treadmill club.

Self sustainability is the only priority. Reaching the Premier League would be a bonus, but City aren’t working towards it. If people haven’t realised that by now then they have their heads buried in the sand i’m afraid.

5 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I thought we'd lose some key players, but I expected us to replace them extremely quickly, with rumours of imminent signings as players were leaving.

Admittedly, Reid for £10m is a steal when you consider his wages were probably low, meaning we've got a lot of space free in the budget, but that means we'll be paying high for whoever we bring in next, as teams know we have money and the budget.

I'm fine with Vyner getting his chance in the first team, but I'd be more comfortable with a new spine to the team. With that being said, the expectation should be improvement, because that's what the club has sold to us. I think mid-to-lower table is what we'll get, but I think anything other than top half of the table should be enough for LJ to get the sack.

I think we need four players to challenge for promotion. A new keeper, an experienced defender to ease Vyner in, a solid midfielder, and a top-class forward.

Surely if Reid was on low wages, (which seems to be accepted by everyone because he signed his last contract when he was a squad player at best) then his departure actually means that as we need to replace our top scorer we have less space left in our budget?

I think the fee for him is a very reasonable one but ironically Gary O’Neil’s departure actually frees up more room in the wages budget...

My priorities would be a forward, right back & keeper in that order..

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

We can't afford to spend crazy money in search for promotion, and when doing so won't even guarantee promotion anyway. How can you think our club are not aiming for the prem? Do you think we lost those games on purpose last season because we were doing a bit too well?

nah best probably to loan in some rubbish, play them, ignore million pound recruits and the backbone of the squad asking for decent wages...that will do it

Once we get into pre-season and we know a bit more the totality of ins and outs will be a better time to set our expectations.

I’m pretty ambivalent re Watkins....not someone I would have gone for....but perversely will probably work out.

Webster - moved quickly to bring in a CB with Flint’s departure....in fact I suspect both deals were drying ink at the same time, we just announce ours slightly slower, the bctv interview, etc etc.  I’m relying on others views, but it looks a good fee structure and I'm positive.  Think we will be going Baker / Pisano, Webster, Baker, Kelly as it stands.  I’m happy with that....with maybe someone like Willis coming in too.

Expecting another announcement tomorrow....think Adelukan will be announced now that Reid confirmed today.

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

We can't afford to spend crazy money in search for promotion, and when doing so won't even guarantee promotion anyway. How can you think our club are not aiming for the prem? Do you think we lost those games on purpose last season because we were doing a bit too well?

We are not aiming for the Premier League because we are selling all our best players.

Name a manager / team who has sold all of their best players and gone on to reach the Premier League?

It’s a load of bollocks.

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Surely if Reid was on low wages, (which seems to be accepted by everyone because he signed his last contract when he was a squad player at best) then his departure actually means that as we need to replace our top scorer we have less space left in our budget?

I think the fee for him is a very reasonable one but ironically Gary O’Neil’s departure actually frees up more room in the wages budget...

My priorities would be a forward, right back & keeper in that order..

You're right, although the £10m for a home-grown player is a ****-ton for someone who would only cost us that amount for a year. Also, we were most likely on a deficit considering Kodjia was gone, and because we were likely to be paying Tammy's wages, which were probably pretty high for us. Throw £10m on top of that, and we've got (I assume) more money to put into the budget for wages.

I imagine Flint was on reasonably low wages as well, since he only signed an extension in January. If he wanted to stay he would've asked for more money, so it was purely a way to ensure that his transfer fee would be larger, and by giving him an extra year of what he's getting now probably cost the club less than giving him a brand-new deal on the wages he actually wanted.

The way it's always been explained to me is that there is no such thing as a transfer and a wage budget. Transfers are split by how many years a contract is signed for, and a club accounts for that budget on each player per year, and their value is determined by that figure. It's why I don't expect any bumper deals, but I do expect the quality of player to increase. This is, IMO, what the club are trying to do to push towards the Premier League, but it's a risky one when our new signings have been a bit hit-and-miss.

20 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I don’t believe that reaching the Premier League is what City are aiming for?

How are we going to replace a Premier League striker for less than £9 Million with crap wages?

The ambition is to run the club as a business and invest in an academy that produces young players to sell.

If City drop a division then they will re-invest to regain promotion and then sell again for profit.

If anyone thinks that the Lansdowns are just in it the throw money at City like a charity then you are very much mistaken.

You only have to look at the January transfer window to see that City had no ambition to reach the Premier League. 

The club will feed you the lie to get you to buy your season tickets, but BCFC are very much a treadmill club.

Self sustainability is the only priority. Reaching the Premier League would be a bonus, but City aren’t working towards it. If people haven’t realised that by now then they have their heads buried in the sand i’m afraid.

Their goal is to become self sustainable. They’ve always been open about that being a massive hope for the club. Once it is, they will then look at pushing the club further. 

Their end ambition is the premier league but currently it clearly isn’t. I said during the season that the January window proved we were not looking for promotion. 

Archived