IGNORED

Bristol City WFC

NcnsBcfc

Very strange pre season for the women's team. All of the top players seemed to have left to be replaced by mainly Millwall and Yeovil players. I see the last one Millie Darrow has just gone to Reading as well

Has SL given up a bit on the women's football team? It seems that the team is only going in one direction now.

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Seems a bit odd. You would think it would be a relatively cheap way to boost the overall standing of Bristol Sport - some will disagree, but better than basketball surely?

Maybe he’s getting wise to it . Before equal pay is asked for in football. Won’t be long 

11 hours ago, Spoons said:

Get back in your museum you dinasour !!

If you got an investment that doesn’t make any money. What do you do. Carry on because it’s women’s football. No you bin it because it’s not making a single penny . Our club is unsustainable. Let alone a team who get 3/4 hundred max

17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Maybe he’s getting wise to it . Before equal pay is asked for in football. Won’t be long 

Even in the top flight of women's football crowds seem to be in three figures. Let these women attract crowds of 7,500 on a regular basis instead of 750 before TV money etc is splashed around. I find it incredulous that women can at present earn a decent living from playing in front of such sparse crowds. They are living off the back of the men's game and that's why the TV revenue is so out of proportion to the interest.

More power to the ladies elbows if they attract the crowds and become successful, I would be genuinely happy for them, but it is all rather phoney at present.

11 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

If you got an investment that doesn’t make any money. What do you do. Carry on because it’s women’s football. No you bin it because it’s not making a single penny 

It's not all about money. You haven't got a clue what bcfc women team does. 

My daughter actually see's a pathway to play professional football as a women and that's because of the women's super league and investment in it.

You get back to your pint on your own in the Wellington mate. 

Embarrassing !

The oddity, if there is one, is this.

As part of the WSL restructuring, all clubs if they wanted to be in WSL1 had to go full time, and pay full time wages accordingly. BCWFC applied for, and got a place in, WSL1 on this basis.

However, what I think may have happened is that the new, full time budget does not differ massively from the former, quasi semi-pro budget. IIRC, the head coach job was advertised with a salary of c£50k. Pretty much peanuts and now Willie Kirk is assistant at Man Utd ladies.

So, I don’t think SL has lost interest, more that he hasn’t (or whoever is responsible hasn’t) kept their finger on the pulse enough and assumed last years budget will get you last years squad. It won’t.

FWIW I back the women’s game/team wholeheartedly. As a father of a 9 year old who holds a ST at city, I can tell you the ladies inspire the next generation of female fans as much as the blokes do - if not more so - and that cross pollinates to better crowds for BCFC

28 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Well, at least the women footballers play a full 90 minutes. 

Think women’s equality rights in sport though has been irreparably harmed by greedy women tennis players demanding (and getting) the same money as men, but for doing far less work. Equality my ar$e.

Don’t follow the game closely but as @Silvio Dante has articulated there appears to be some sort of financial recalibration going on, with Man U joining next season and (surprise, surprise) buying up loads of other teams’ best players.

City appear to have been minimally funded for years now, certainly since that period when they qualified for Europe.

Good luck to them, but they appear to be stuck in a perpetual relegation battle now.

16 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It's not all about money. You haven't got a clue what bcfc women team does. 

My daughter actually see's a pathway to play professional football as a women and that's because of the women's super league and investment in it.

You get back to your pint on your own in the Wellington mate. 

Embarrassing !

My daughter also.

Doubt she'll make it as I doubt my son will either but it's great for them to have role models...

Well let’s hope all the people I have offended. Go and watch women’s football. But of course you don’t. You’re just getting offended on the behalf of others . Get yourselfs and you’re families season tickets and support it. 

But you don’t . You don’t feel that strong about it 

7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Well let’s hope all the people I have offended. Go and watch women’s football. But of course you don’t. You’re just getting offended on the behalf of others . Get yourselfs and you’re families season tickets and support it. 

It's a valid point. I've watched a couple of games and it isn't the best but it is definitely improving... I do think investing a few quid into it is worth while in the grand scheme of things though...

Equal pay is also fine in my book.... as soon as the gare receipts are equal!

45 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Even in the top flight of women's football crowds seem to be in three figures. Let these women attract crowds of 7,500 on a regular basis instead of 750 before TV money etc is splashed around. I find it incredulous that women can at present earn a decent living from playing in front of such sparse crowds. They are living off the back of the men's game and that's why the TV revenue is so out of proportion to the interest.

More power to the ladies elbows if they attract the crowds and become successful, I would be genuinely happy for them, but it is all rather phoney at present.

Standard is piss poor tbf....Sunday league

9 minutes ago, Judda said:

It's a valid point. I've watched a couple of games and it isn't the best but it is definitely improving... I do think investing a few quid into it is worth while in the grand scheme of things though...

Equal pay is also fine in my book.... as soon as the gare receipts are equal!

Exactly. Posters like spoons take it really personal. And I bet he hasn’t got a season ticket for him and his family. And doesn’t support it  financially in anyway. If he does I apologise. 

20 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Watched 4 games last year with the kids. Would watch more but clash with city games. 

Don't need to get a season ticket as I've already got 3 for the men's which gets you in for free for the women's team.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Exactly. Posters like spoons take it really personal. And I bet he hasn’t got a season ticket for him and his family. And doesn’t support it  financially in anyway. If he does I apologise. 

Personally had season ticket since 1989.

Both kids had one since 2014/15.

So I accept your apology.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Watched 4 games last year with the kids. Would watch more but clash with city games. 

Don't need to get a season ticket as I've already got 3 for the men's which gets you in for free for the women's team.

This, to me, is a big issue. The summer series was great - games 7pm at Stoke Gifford, filled a gap outside of the season. But now, they have games, if not clashing, are very difficult to fit in round bcfc. Poor from the WSL

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

This, to me, is a big issue. The summer series was great - games 7pm at Stoke Gifford, filled a gap outside of the season. But now, they have games, if not clashing, are very difficult to fit in round bcfc. Poor from the WSL

Completely agree. 5.30 kick offs on a Saturday are useless after watching a game at the gate.

Summer series was excellent and at 7pm were perfect.

It would be great if the women could play their home games at Ashton Gate in a period of time that preceded the 'main event' - with regular updates and some internal to the stadium television coverage, they could well find themselves finishing games in amongst an audience of 4 figures.

Can we keep this on topic instead of using personal insults? Hardly makes for great reading... 

I've watched a few women's games and although the standard isn't great its a good thing to do for free, good to see lots of kids there and many girls will look at the women playing an think they have a chance of doing that one day, as I did watching city at a young age. 

Equal pay shouldn't be a question yet, they're getting similar gates to southern league clubs and so their pay should reflect that level in my opinion. Even still I think sl should stick with it and push it further to bring another successful club under the Bristol Spirt umbrella

Blimey! This thread has descended into a fair few personal insults and proper disagreements ... @JamesBCFC we are seriously being undermined again here...I’m not sure we’ve ever sunk to these depths, and it’s probably too hot for a row, but our ‘spats’ are in serious danger of being consigned to the annals of history if this stuff keeps occurring! Fancy a tame disagreement?! Or shall we just keep our dignity and move on through this calm Sunday evening?!

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The oddity, if there is one, is this.

As part of the WSL restructuring, all clubs if they wanted to be in WSL1 had to go full time, and pay full time wages accordingly. BCWFC applied for, and got a place in, WSL1 on this basis.

However, what I think may have happened is that the new, full time budget does not differ massively from the former, quasi semi-pro budget. IIRC, the head coach job was advertised with a salary of c£50k. Pretty much peanuts and now Willie Kirk is assistant at Man Utd ladies.

So, I don’t think SL has lost interest, more that he hasn’t (or whoever is responsible hasn’t) kept their finger on the pulse enough and assumed last years budget will get you last years squad. It won’t.

FWIW I back the women’s game/team wholeheartedly. As a father of a 9 year old who holds a ST at city, I can tell you the ladies inspire the next generation of female fans as much as the blokes do - if not more so - and that cross pollinates to better crowds for BCFC

Thanks Silvio. 

I just think it's really strange that we've done all this work for the reapplication Then seem to have given up on having the team to keep us in the WSL.

I thought having a Bristol team in a top division, would be something to invest in. 

Is there relegation from the WSL this season? Man Utd a cert to go up of course. I fear the women's team drifting off into the lower leagues unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

That is way OTT. Disgusting retort.

To be fair, i think its only 1 individual that is taking it down to that level.

I just think parallels can be drawn with transfer window Jan 18 for us. Whether to gamble or not, and break the budget.

The decision with the women's team, is obviously to not, and we all know where that decision landed us at the end of the season(4 league wins in 2018).

Archived