IGNORED

Stoke favourites for promotion

Jerseybean

On 31/07/2018 at 11:57, DownendStokie said:

Stoke fan in peace here. It’s interesting to see opposing fans views of us as a newly relegated team. On paper our squad looks pretty impressive but as we all know football matches aren’t played on paper!  Losing Shaqiri was always going to happen - he thought he was too good for us in the prem... but  pleased that we’ve hung onto our defence (so far) - last seasons problems were more down to appall8ng coaching and organisation rather than the ability of the players. A lot will depend on whether we can keep Jack Butland (rumours of Chelsea interest if Courtois leaves) and Ndiaye in midfield and we really could do with another striker. New signings look mostly positive with hopefully another few to come. Looking forward to the game at AG on 27th October - a novelty to be able to go to a game on the bus!

As a stoke fan must be weird for you being back in the champ.  Have to say I was envious of your stint in the prem; you didn't just stay up but troubled the top half regularly and didn't you beatJuve in the Europa? Our fortunes were completely different after battling it out for promotion. Perhaps you should have stuck with Hughes; did expectations get too high? As for next year you will be at the right end under Rowett; doesn't play amazing footy but it's effective from what I've seen; after pulis for years I don't think your lot will mind that!

On 29/07/2018 at 13:04, Robbored said:

How do know Stoke won't be poor? They've lost a couple of their PL players and I doubt Butland will want to play in the Championship and out his England career at risk.

For all we know Stoke could really struggle.

If they do struggle Rowett will probably jump ship. Again.

1 minute ago, Cider red said:

As a stoke fan must be weird for you being back in the champ.  Have to say I was envious of your stint in the prem; you didn't just stay up but troubled the top half regularly and didn't you beatJuve in the Europa? Our fortunes were completely different after battling it out for promotion. Perhaps you should have stuck with Hughes; did expectations get too high? As for next year you will be at the right end under Rowett; doesn't play amazing footy but it's effective from what I've seen; after pulis for years I don't think your lot will mind that!

After the initial anger and disappointment of relegation I think most of us are really looking forward to this season in the Championship. The prem was great for as long as it lasted and our cup run and European adventure were great (we llost to Valencia in the round of 32 but that awayday was one of the best days of my life!)

Hughes was taking us down, no doubt at all. He’d managed to add flair and quality to a rock solid core of players but when the time came to replace that core (Whelan, Walters) he couldn’t do it. You can probably trace our demise all the way back to the loss of Steven Nzonzi a few years back. He went on to win the World Cup...

I like what I’ve seen and heard from Rowett so far but time will tell...

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Harsh....he didn’t jump ship at Brum - they were 21st in the championship when he took over, he guided them to a 10th placed finish...then the next season he was sacked when they were 7th in the championship...

I agree with the points about Birmingham. However, the amount of bullsh!t he spouted when joining Derby and believing his own hype was nauseating. He should've done better with that squad and instead of digging in and having another go at it he jumped ship at his first opportunity. 14 months after getting the opportunity at Derby and signing a 3 and a half year contract he decides to sod off. For me he is probably not as good as he thinks he is. A bit of a Garry Monk IMO.

17 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I agree with the points about Birmingham. However, the amount of bullsh!t he spouted when joining Derby and believing his own hype was nauseating. He should've done better with that squad and instead of digging in and having another go at it he jumped ship at his first opportunity. 14 months after getting the opportunity at Derby and signing a 3 and a half year contract he decides to sod off. For me he is probably not as good as he thinks he is. A bit of a Garry Monk IMO.

Well he did take Derby into the play offs where they lost to Fulham...and as an ex Bristol City Manager once said, the only loyalty left in Football is between the fans and their club - players sign long contracts and then bugger off at the first opportunity, and after the way he was treated by Brum perhaps Rowett thought it best to pursue his career rather than wait for the sack again...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well he did take Derby into the play offs where they lost to Fulham...and as an ex Bristol City Manager once said, the only loyalty left in Football is between the fans and their club - players sign long contracts and then bugger off at the first opportunity, and after the way he was treated by Brum perhaps Rowett thought it best to pursue his career rather than wait for the sack again...

Not being funny but play offs last season for Derby with that squad is the very least to expect so I don't see that as an achievement. The loyalty point is fair though.

On 29/07/2018 at 11:41, Robbored said:

I'm not sure how many times the bookies are right with their pre season odds - not that often in my experience and why I take little notice of them.

In every EFL division there is often a dark horse who nobody had considered.

It could be City this season........I'm off down the bookies tomorrow........

Wow! I've never seen a post with the full set of reactions before. Fair play Robbored, you may have your detractors but that's some record. :clap:

On 31/07/2018 at 18:57, DownendStokie said:

Stoke fan in peace here. It’s interesting to see opposing fans views of us as a newly relegated team. On paper our squad looks pretty impressive but as we all know football matches aren’t played on paper!  Losing Shaqiri was always going to happen - he thought he was too good for us in the prem... but  pleased that we’ve hung onto our defence (so far) - last seasons problems were more down to appall8ng coaching and organisation rather than the ability of the players. A lot will depend on whether we can keep Jack Butland (rumours of Chelsea interest if Courtois leaves) and Ndiaye in midfield and we really could do with another striker. New signings look mostly positive with hopefully another few to come. Looking forward to the game at AG on 27th October - a novelty to be able to go to a game on the bus!

My Stoke pal is nowhere near as confident as you. He thinks the whole set up now is a mess thanks to 2 fairly quick managerial appointments. Rowett could be a revelation or a right flop... It may be a Villa type slow burn. Lets see.

On 30/07/2018 at 16:17, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's a leader though. Reaching his peak he is a leader and though it's intangible it's still crucial.

Webster? Could grow into that- could grow into a better player all round in all aspects than Flint, not this year though IMO.

People I know who follow other sides yet keep an eye on us, who have seen City at AG in recent times cannot believe we sold Flint for as relatively little as we did. 3 years left on deal yet £5m plus add ons was it?? Mad!

I can only assume that, after the 'problem' at the start of last season, he was persuaded to sign a new, extended contract with a buy-out clause.

The transfer went through quite quickly, and, as far as I am aware, there was no 'bidding war'. 

Archived