IGNORED

Stoke favourites for promotion

Jerseybean

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve got a feeling this could finally be Leeds`s year. They finally seem to have a bit of stability and are buying well from what I can see.

Their new Manager is known as El Loco, with a history of walking out of clubs five minutes after arriving.

seems a marriage made in heavon

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

He is indeed. They`ll either be awful or steam the league, my money`s on the latter TBH.

There's been murmurings for the last couple of weeks that Bielsa is already annoyed at a few things.

He's a great coach, but it could literally take 1 or 2 more things not going how Bielsa wants for it all to fall apart again.

14 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Stoke will win this league at a canter... The worst Championship I can ever remember. There are so many poor sides this year.

Is this tongue in cheek?

I think the Champ gets stronger most seasons.

Of the three teams that went up:

• Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham

theyve been replaced by:

• WBA, Stoke, Swansea

that doesn’t sound any worse than 17/18?

Of the three that came up:

• Blackburn, Wigan (new money), Rotherham

sound stronger than the ones who went down in totality:

• Sunderland (can’t be compared to Sunderland teams of recent years), Burton, Barnsley

On 29/07/2018 at 11:41, Robbored said:

I'm not sure how many times the bookies are right with their pre season odds - not that often in my experience and why I take little notice of them.

In every EFL division there is often a dark horse who nobody had considered.

It could be City this season........I'm off down the bookies tomorrow........

I think you have a point in your first sentence. There seem to be a lot of broad brush assumptions built in - eg that the relegated clubs will be strong enough to challenge well at the top.

Consider Sunderland. And while Stoke and West Brom will probably be strong, do Swansea justify a place in the top six or seven? I doubt it. They could well struggle, yet the odds put them above Forest, despite the latter's spending spree.

Swansea forums indicate general gloom, verging on panic, and a club in turmoil, selling their best players again and buying little. Fans are talking about taking the generous odds on a second relegation.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Swansea forums indicate general gloom, verging on panic, and a club in turmoil, selling their best players again and buying little. Fans are talking about taking the generous odds on a second relegation.

Many of our fans have said we should look to emulate Swansea - judging by some of the posts on here recently, we're suceeding!

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Many of our fans have said we should look to emulate Swansea - judging by some of the posts on here recently, we're suceeding!

I know that's a joke, but I think OTIB is remarkably upbeat considering we have sold two iconic players and will probably sell a third, buying cheaper replacements.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is this tongue in cheek?

I think the Champ gets stronger most seasons.

Of the three teams that went up:

• Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham

theyve been replaced by:

• WBA, Stoke, Swansea

that doesn’t sound any worse than 17/18?

Of the three that came up:

• Blackburn, Wigan (new money), Rotherham

sound stronger than the ones who went down in totality:

• Sunderland (can’t be compared to Sunderland teams of recent years), Burton, Barnsley

I think Wolves and Fulham are surely better than the 3 who came down tbh. That said they don't seem to have lost too much of their squads those 3- and IMO Stoke on paper should have stayed up last year, WBA too to an extent.

The thing about the 3 who came up though- I can see some similarities but Blackburn and Wigan don't seem to be signing many and it's a big increasing gap- the fact Rotherham who were one of the worst sides ever at this level, one of the worst I remember anyway came straight back up says a fair bit. Think Rotherham will struggle a lot though could be a tricky away game, Blackburn well don't see them as big relegation candidates but not promotion either. Wigan? Got momentum but we had brilliant momentum 3 years ago and look how that turned out.

I think it's a bit weaker this year on balance- of existing sides Leeds and Nottingham Forest have undoubtedly strengthened, whereas Ipswich, Norwich and QPR have weakened.

Then you have a range of teams who really could go either way. Aston Villa? Squad still decent, but weaker so far undoubtedly. Sheffield United? Lost Brooks but strengthened elsewhere, with McGoldrick the direct replacement for Brooks.  Could push top 6, could slip back. Millwall? Seem a bit weaker to me plus teams will know how to play them- not saying relegation but could be tough. Middlesbrough- arguably stronger at the back, weaker up front. Sheffield Wednesday don't seem to sign anyone but at the same time their injury crisis was ludicrous- should be stronger but not like their 2 playoff seasons. Derby- remains to be seen, early signs look good but surely they need to sell Vydra and a generally aging squad. 

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I know that's a joke, but I think OTIB is remarkably upbeat considering we have sold two iconic players and will probably sell a third, buying cheaper replacements.

Yes - it was a bit tongue in cheek.

To be fair, the negative posts tend to be from a fairly small minority and like you, I am pleasantly surprised at how optimistic many posters seem to be. Perhaps Villa's precarious financial situation has put things into perspective for many fans, and they can better see and understand the club's approach and strategy going forward.  

Of course all that positivity and optimism could/will be out of the window after 90 minutes against Forest, so we best make the most of it, while we can!

34 minutes ago, Leveller said:

but I think OTIB is remarkably upbeat considering we have sold two iconic players and will probably sell a third, buying cheaper replacements.

Flint was an iconic player for sure but largely down to his ' diamond geezer' ' personally rather than his footballing ability. Reid was never an icon in my book and neither is Bryan.

We'll probably miss Flints goal contribution but not his actual defending. Webster is a far better footballer than Flint will ever be.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Flint was an iconic player for sure but largely down to his ' diamond geezer' ' personally rather than his footballing ability. Reid was never an icon in my book and neither is Bryan.

We'll probably miss Flints goal contribution but not his actual defending. Webster is a far better footballer than Flint will ever be.

He's a leader though. Reaching his peak he is a leader and though it's intangible it's still crucial.

Webster? Could grow into that- could grow into a better player all round in all aspects than Flint, not this year though IMO.

People I know who follow other sides yet keep an eye on us, who have seen City at AG in recent times cannot believe we sold Flint for as relatively little as we did. 3 years left on deal yet £5m plus add ons was it?? Mad!

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

10/1 / Fill yer boots.

loadsamoney.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's a leader though. Reaching his peak he is a leader and though it's intangible it's still crucial.

Webster? Could grow into that- could grow into a better player all round in all aspects than Flint, not this year though IMO.

People I know who follow other sides yet keep an eye on us, who have seen City at AG in recent times cannot believe we sold Flint for as relatively little as we did. 3 years left on deal yet £5m plus add ons was it?? Mad!

Flint flattered to deceive. His main asset is his height and heading ability and he won numerous headers which is why other fans were impressed with him.

Like lots of big blokes he was/is vulnerable to the opposition running at him. Slow turning circle..........other teams know that and he could well get exposed at Boro. City off loaded him at the right time and are (almost) laughing all the way to the bank.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Four million for us we had to give Swindon a million

Got to be West Brom and Middlesborough.  Both will be solid and balanced.

Stoke have swapped Shaqiri for Tom Ince and not really resolved their age issue.  They got relegated mainly because of their defensive record which I don't see any great prospect of improvement.  West Brom went down because of mismanagement but that was resolved before the end of the season  and they've retained a core of the players who are hardened.  Johnstone is a great signing.  Rodriguez is my shout for top scorer..  

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Four million for us we had to give Swindon a million

Good point- even less then.

Just don't think it was enough- forgot to add. Sold to a Championship rival we were not a million miles from last season, and for that price despite 3 years left. Even worse- like I say they couldn't really believe it for that price to that side in those circs.

@The Bard

On paper? Sure. Yet I see some weaknesses there too. WBA have a fairly small squad of about 20, and one of them Dawson potentially won't play- at minimum he has put in at least one transfer request this summer. Darren Moore too- not saying he's inept or anything, but he's untried over a full season and it's a tough, competitive League. I think they have some fine players no doubt about it...but I question whether they will keep them all and be able to replenish them quickly. Rondon has a buyout clause, Chadli has a buyout clause- so too do Dawson and Rodriguez I believe. I'm on the fence about their prospects...

Middlesborough? Course they should be right up there. Probably will give it a right good go. However a squad of 22- and that's before Bamford to Leeds and Traore injury. Plus, Traore even if his injury not serious maybe off to Wolves. Throw in a combination of pressure and expectation (after this season, no more parachute payments- income slashed by £33, £34m) and it could yet get to them.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just don't think it was enough- forgot to add. Sold to a Championship rival we were not a million miles from last season, and for that price despite 3 years left. Even worse- like I say they couldn't really believe it for that price to that side in those circs.

No and the worrying thing is Derby trying to get joe bryan on the cheap aswell

Stoke fan in peace here. It’s interesting to see opposing fans views of us as a newly relegated team. On paper our squad looks pretty impressive but as we all know football matches aren’t played on paper!  Losing Shaqiri was always going to happen - he thought he was too good for us in the prem... but  pleased that we’ve hung onto our defence (so far) - last seasons problems were more down to appall8ng coaching and organisation rather than the ability of the players. A lot will depend on whether we can keep Jack Butland (rumours of Chelsea interest if Courtois leaves) and Ndiaye in midfield and we really could do with another striker. New signings look mostly positive with hopefully another few to come. Looking forward to the game at AG on 27th October - a novelty to be able to go to a game on the bus!

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@The Bard

On paper? Sure. Yet I see some weaknesses there too. WBA have a fairly small squad of about 20, and one of them Dawson potentially won't play- at minimum he has put in at least one transfer request this summer. Darren Moore too- not saying he's inept or anything, but he's untried over a full season and it's a tough, competitive League. I think they have some fine players no doubt about it...but I question whether they will keep them all and be able to replenish them quickly. Rondon has a buyout clause, Chadli has a buyout clause- so too do Dawson and Rodriguez I believe. I'm on the fence about their prospects...

Middlesborough? Course they should be right up there. Probably will give it a right good go. However a squad of 22- and that's before Bamford to Leeds and Traore injury. Plus, Traore even if his injury not serious maybe off to Wolves. Throw in a combination of pressure and expectation (after this season, no more parachute payments- income slashed by £33, £34m) and it could yet get to them.

I am with you. WBA could still easily lose 4 and I can really on seeing Rodriguez stay(seems to be the only one that doesn’t have a lowish buyout or kicking off about playing in champ). 

Boro will be in the mix but not sure they have enough goals to be auto promotion. 

Swansea for me like Norwich when they came back down last. You think former prem team but not got much to frighten teams imo. 

Stoke will be interesting. I like their midfield. Ince is good at this level. Defense good on paper. Probably my favourite for the league but wouldn’t think of them as a Wolves type.

Forest spent big but imo have not brought in the same quality as wolves did a year ago. 

Promoted teams have not added much so can’t see them being a threat. 

Preston, Millwall and Brentford gambling on low league again but well coached. Can’t see them top 6. Sheff U looks to have added well and not lost much. Brookswas good but not close to finished product. 

Derby, Reading, SW and Villa I view as aging squads that can go either way. 

Leeds starting to add now and some quality additions. Real wildcard

On 29 July 2018 at 14:15, Alex_BCFC said:

West Brom traditionally go straight back up when they come down and I would expect same again. Forest look to have bought well and amongst the favourites. Not sure about Stoke - squad might look good on paper but I think PO’s more likely. Brentford my ‘dark horse’.

It was a completely different WBA back then. The yoyoing mid 2000s WBA was an excellent footballing team, their current side is an ageing bunch of players built by Tony Pulis. I'd be surprised if they challenged but Darren Moore looks a good manager so who knows!

I can see Stoke being in the playoffs and Swansea being somewhere in the bottom half.

Archived