IGNORED

Starting XI versus Forest (Merged)

Wolf Island

On 29/07/2018 at 16:59, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

What is your preferred starting XI for the forest match? Mine would be

O’Leary; Pisano, Webster, Wright, Pring; Smith, Pack, Eliasson, Walsh; Eisa, Weimann 

Until the injury situation improves we will struggle to pick up points I fear.

Who's Pring?

46 minutes ago, freezer said:

Who's Pring?

Academy player Cameron pring, has been playing well in pre-season. With Bryan possibly gone by Saturday and Lloyd Kelly injured I’d like to see pring start rather than shift a square peg into a round hole. Also believe we should stick with Max in goal as he’s trained for longer with the back line than the Finnish lad; bring him in after the international break if he’s good enough. 

1 hour ago, tommy_b said:

What’s the number for most debutants we have had in one game in recent years? 

League One double season probably quite high? 

We seem to be on for quite a few this season. 

First game of the 13/14 season saw six.

Fielding, Flint, Wagstaff, JET, Pack and Jordan Wynter, plus we had 3 other summer signings (Elliott Parish, Derrick Williams & Marlon Harewood) on the subs bench who didn’t get on the pitch.

Haven’t looked at every single one but I can’t think we have had more than that in any game since.

Edit- You we’re right, six in the opener of that promotion season, too.

Little, Korey, Ayling, Wade Elliott, Freeman & Wilbs..

41 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Academy player Cameron pring, has been playing well in pre-season. With Bryan possibly gone by Saturday and Lloyd Kelly injured I’d like to see pring start rather than shift a square peg into a round hole. Also believe we should stick with Max in goal as he’s trained for longer with the back line than the Finnish lad; bring him in after the international break if he’s good enough. 

‘the Finnish lad’ has been training with the team all pre season. 

8 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

No there was a hiatus whilst terms were agreed post-trial. 

I've read somewhere that he would have played 6 pre season games( a few behind closed doors). Also he went on the pre season tour so had a week to bond with the players. 

8 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Will be Weimann to start then Eisa for last 15 mins , should be other way round , Eisa is raw and hungry , throw him straight in , Weimann is an experienced pro but will never score enough to warrant a starting birth most weeks ... 

lj needs to show some faith in his signing and play Eisa otherwise he will quickly become another Taylor unused and untested at this level...

Pretty bold statement re Weimann, especially if he plays centrally.  His record playing alongside Benteke was decent enough (at a higher level)...Diedhiou could be Weimann’s Benteke when he’s back?

Eisa has joined at a good time with Diedhiou out.  Along with Weimann, Djúric and Taylor, we’ve got 4 players chomping at the bit and 540 minutes available to them.  Expect Eisa will feature enough over August.  Doesn’t LJ also need to show faith in Weimann too.

Its a squad game these days.  We will know a lot more about all our players, not just the new ones after those 6 games.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

First game of the 13/14 season saw six.

Fielding, Flint, Wagstaff, JET, Pack and Jordan Wynter, plus we had 3 other summer signings (Elliott Parish, Derrick Williams & Marlon Harewood) on the subs bench who didn’t get on the pitch.

Haven’t looked at every single one but I can’t think we have had more than that in any game since.

Edit- You we’re right, six in the opener of that promotion season, too.

Little, Korey, Ayling, Wade Elliott, Freeman & Wilbs..

Wasn’t Elliott on loan the season before....or does that not count?  Fantastic player and pro.

13 hours ago, bengalcub said:

If I have learnt anything from lj’s team selections last season , I really can’t see eliason starting he seems to be in everyone’s 11 but come match day I doubt he will be starting ... 

Playing three in the middle will help him start IMO. More solid so will make up for his defensive frailties. I'm a little bit in love with the 4-3-3 from Lew-T. Is it just me or does our bench look really strong too! Ever the optimist...

Some interesting choices above. I'm going for this side because I think that LJ may spring a surprise or two. 

Firstly, I don’t expect Callum or Wright are considered fit enough yet. 

Maenpaa 

Pisano, Webster, Baker, Bryan

Smith, Pack, Brownhill 

Watkins, Weimann, Eliasson

Bench. O'Leary, Hunt, Pring, Walsh, Paterson, Taylor, Eisa. 

Maenpaa

Hunt, Webster, Baker, Bryan

Brownhill, Pack, Smith, O'Dowda

Paterson, Weimann

Basically the team from last December with the closest like-for-like swaps I can think of. If O'Dowda isn't fit then Eliasson can come in for him, or Kelly can play left back and Bryan push forward.

All the other new signings can start on the bench.

2 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Maenpaa

Brownhill, Pack, Smith, O'Dowda

Paterson, Weimann

Basically the team from last December with the closest like-for-like swaps I can think of. If O'Dowda isn't fit then Eliasson can come in for him, or Kelly can play left back and Bryan push forward.

All the other new signings can start on the bench.

Can see the thinking there, but there were some subtle differences between the last December side and that one- and not just personnel wise.

• Wright and Magnússon were full backs. Given Wright definitely and in some ways Magnússon were centre backs by trade, they could and did come inside to narrow it more readily than Hunt or Bryan could IMO.
  • Bryan wide left- can play LB or wide left and varied positions. On the other hand, O'Dowda is more of a winger although can work hard and track back, it isn't as natural to him IMO.
  • Paterson behind Weimann definitely- between the mdifield and Weimann, as he was behind Reid during the great form.

So in theory the two full backs gives us more of an attacking thrust- but v a side like Forest who doubtless be pretty good in possession, it's a bit of a risky setup IMO. If O'Dowda is fit again however (thought he was injured) then that's a great boost!

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can see the thinking there, but there were some subtle differences between the last December side and that one- and not just personnel wise.

• Wright and Magnússon were full backs. Given Wright definitely and in some ways Magnússon were centre backs by trade, they could and did come inside to narrow it more readily than Hunt or Bryan could IMO.
  • Bryan wide left- can play LB or wide left and varied positions. On the other hand, O'Dowda is more of a winger although can work hard and track back, it isn't as natural to him IMO.
  • Paterson behind Weimann definitely- between the mdifield and Weimann, as he was behind Reid during the great form.

So in theory the two full backs gives us more of an attacking thrust- but v a side like Forest who doubtless be pretty good in possession, it's a bit of a risky setup IMO. If O'Dowda is fit again however (thought he was injured) then that's a great boost!

Pretty sure Hunt is supposed to be able to play anywhere along the back line. I've not seen him play though. I'd happily replace O'Dowda with Bryan and Bryan with Kelly were it not for Kelly's lack of experience.

9 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Pretty sure Hunt is supposed to be able to play anywhere along the back line. I've not seen him play though. I'd happily replace O'Dowda with Bryan and Bryan with Kelly were it not for Kelly's lack of experience.

According to WhoScored, he's a Right back and a Right midfielder. If he can play across the backline that would definitely be a boost, personally though I think 4-3-3 would be the way forward but definitely your shape has a lot of similarities to our excellent form last year.

Q: Starting XI?

A: The best 11 fit and available players.

Imo Taylor isn't amongst this number. Eisa isn't either - yet. Those that definitely are:

Pack, Smith, Brownhill

Weimann, Paterson

Leaving one outfield position to fill:

Djuric up front with Weimann and Paterson in midfield? Or Paterson off Weimann and pick another in midfield?

Maybe the latter, so based on his form in pre-season and the fact we're at home it's Eliasson in midfield for me, unless Watkins has recovered. What worries me about that is the fact we start without a single player you could call an out and out striker, without a single player you could call a reliable goalscorer.

In goal - no idea which of our 2 keepers is the best but would be amazed if Maenpaa isn't selected.

Subs: Djuric & Eisa to come on if necessary and mix it up. Watkins/O'Dowda, if fit, to bring energy for the last 20 when Eliasson tires.  

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Gregor McGregor reckons we will go with the side that played Bournemouth, but with Maenpaa in for O'Leary. I think he might be right. I know Taylor didn't do a lot on the ball in that game, but his pressing and movement really helps the team. Obviously he has to do better on the ball to stay in the side but I get why LJ might start him. 

Imagine if we had someone up front who could control the ball, score goals as well as “run around”, eh?

I wouldn’t even have him on the bench.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Q: Starting XI?

A: The best 11 fit and available players.

Imo Taylor isn't amongst this number. Eisa isn't either - yet. Those that definitely are:

Pack, Smith, Brownhill

Weimann, Paterson

Leaving one outfield position to fill:

Djuric up front with Weimann and Paterson in midfield? Or Paterson off Weimann and pick another in midfield?

Maybe the latter, so based on his form in pre-season and the fact we're at home it's Eliasson in midfield for me, unless Watkins has recovered. What worries me about that is the fact we start without a single player you could call an out and out striker, without a single player you could call a reliable goalscorer.

In goal - no idea which of our 2 keepers is the best but would be amazed if Maenpaa isn't selected.

Subs: Djuric & Eisa to come on if necessary and mix it up. Watkins/O'Dowda, if fit, to bring energy for the last 20 when Eliasson tires.  

How you can say that about Elisa I have no idea.  We have only see him play in one match with little time on the field, yet he had two good attempts within minutes of coming on.

I also don't think he will start but the coaches may well see his training sessions as earning him a start. I would neither be surprised nor dismayed if he started., but think LJ will play safe with one of our more experienced players, based on fitness.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

How you can say that about Elisa I have no idea.  We have only see him play in one match with little time on the field, yet he had two good attempts within minutes of coming on.

I also don't think he will start but the coaches may well see his training sessions as earning him a start. I would neither be surprised nor dismayed if he started., but think LJ will play safe with one of our more experienced players, based on fitness.

I'll explain how I can say that, Ivor.

1. Tell me how many other strikers have made the step up from League 2 to the Championship without missing a beat?

2. While you're working out the answer is precious few, I know from the bits and bobs I've read and seen of Eisa that - while he's a natural finisher and already an excellent fox in the box - the rest of his game has its rough edges, i.e. away from the penalty area, his linking and hold up play need improvement.

Let's put it this way - if he was a player with 23 goals to his name last season and a polished all round game, he wouldn't be moving to Bristol City for a million quid, he'd be moving to a bigger or higher level club for much more than we paid for him. But the fact is that - City aside - the only clubs linked to him this summer were League 1 clubs, and that tells you where he is as an all round player, I believe, and why my best guess - and yes, it's a guess - is he's not ready to be a championship starter - yet.

My guess is that we've signed a rough diamond who, in time, may well prove to be an excellent player but right here, right now isn't up to leading the line away from home at Stoke on a wet Tuesday night. 

I will be very happy to be proved wrong - thrilled to be wrong in fact - but if you think he's already one of our best 11 players - which was the entire basis of my original post - all power to your elbow. I'm just not sure how you come to that conclusion based on his brief appearance in a pre-season friendly.

Archived