IGNORED

Gustav Engvall Sale Price

Redland

The whole situation was a bit rubbish, but it’s done now, and hopefully lessons have been learnt.

You win some you lose some, and with Djuric and Engvall we probably didn’t end up with the best deal, but have done alright (and may still do better) with some others, like Eliasson, Fammy, Taylor etc.

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

?

How much??

You sure? I knew agents fees weren't cheap but that's mental! ?

Gustav took IFK Gothenburg to the Swedish FA about the dispute how his signing on bonus should be calculated. Before or after agent cost. His signing on bonus was 2,5 percent so the agent fee was obvious from his claim.

2 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Don't be coming on here with your forward thinking and sensible suggestions

Hang on a minute. Do you fancy going into business? We can make a fortune helping highly paid not very bright bench-warming Premiership players achieve an understanding with Football Clubs who are equally clueless about how human beings function???

eg. "My inglish not very good. The boss he say to me when I sign, you are a great player. You play every week up front. He give me a swedish/english dictionary and he say he have a english/swedish dictionary and he say everything is swinging. Next week he say to me, you shit on the training, you grow 8 inches very quick and play in goal or you can **** off back to Sweden"

All one needs to know is within a few weeks of him having signed WeeLee  disclosed in a not so confidential setting that Engvall was a 'panic buy', in effect suggesting he knew little about him and didn't rate him at Championship level. One didn't need to be a football coach to know he was correct in his assessment.

Mystery being, how did we end up with him and who supposedly conducted due diligence?

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

All one needs to know is within a few weeks of him having signed WeeLee  disclosed in a not so confidential setting that Engvall was a 'panic buy', in effect suggesting he knew little about him and didn't rate him at Championship level. One didn't need to be a football coach to know he was correct in his assessment.

Mystery being, how did we end up with him and who supposedly conducted due diligence?

Well that’s not what he said publicly he said he had excellent finishing ability, he should quickly adapt to the English game...and when he did he would be really dangerous - what a shambles of an episode...

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don’t remember much about him either! Didn’t he play less than 20 games for us?!

I was wrong again! Played 19 times for us. That's 2 bollocks I've dropped today! Marvin didn't do it too often but the run out of our penalty area and the cross for Thorpey to score was a blinder. Frustrating lazy sod.

The Engvall transfer was an embarrassment and their should be some sort of investigation into it, whether that's from Gregor McGregorface or Geoff Twentypence. 

How on earth can we afford to spaff millions of pounds on 4 appearances? 

Another sign that LJ was backed to luxuriously compared to other managers in his initial tenure imo.

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

I can see why we signed him. Didn’t work out but they aren’t all going to... the crying over spilt milk on this forum is like nothing I’ve ever seen...

4 hours ago, kivsy said:

A complete shambles from beginning to end , copious loan spells , wasted a couple of years of his career and millions of pounds. 

Yet the club , Johnson and Ashton are not accountable ? 

The new trend among fans is to back the club regardless of any shortcomings 

You were saying 

:laughcont:

7 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I was wrong again! Played 19 times for us. That's 2 bollocks I've dropped today! Marvin didn't do it too often but the run out of our penalty area and the cross for Thorpey to score was a blinder. Frustrating lazy sod.

It was Aaron Brown who crossed the ball onto Thorpe’s head vs the gas...

14 hours ago, Redland said:

Adam Baker is reporting in the Post today that we only received £250,000 for Engvall having signed him for £2.5 million 18 months earlier. He played just four first team games.

No wonder the club reported the sale price as 'undisclosed". 

Embarrassing is an understatement verging on negligence.

13 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Only the agent fee was £600,000

City should have had the balls to walk away from the deal once this figure was made known and they would have known before signing unless they were utterly blind.

10 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

And yet, we hear it time and time again from Mark Ashton that every single purchase is thoroughly vetted by all of the coaches, scouts and powers that be. So how was this purchase so diametrically opposed to that mantra that we hear every time he does an interview. Its either total BS or he has no control over some of these signings because there have been a worryingly high number of duds now. OK, you cannot get them all right, but if you are not the most experienced scout, CEO or coach you are effectively taking a huge gamble with a lot of these players; that is playing the lottery big time. That board room must have been interesting in the summer with Steve L presiding. Heads would have rolled in the old days but because we have smooth talker Roy Walker I mean Mark Ashton I bet he has had to dig deep to polish the turds at times.

But in summary, there are duds and there are duds; Engvall, proportionate to the purchase price, is the biggest of them all; Maybe that is why LJ has spent a lot of time with Elliason in the summer to optimise the chances of success with the lad; another Scandinavian failure and surely someone will get sacked.

15 hours ago, Mendip City said:

He’s probably rounding up the fee, including agent fees maybe but regardless, it’s a big loss. Hard to see how the fee for a full international could be less than £1.5m.

i think as supporters we need to be careful with feed in and out, the club will always spin them in the right direction. We never seem to lose our, do we? Honestly, does anyone think we got our money back on Tomlin? That’s madness! 

I think Adam might be being a mischievous with the amounts.....£2.5m could include signing on fees, agent fees (especially if £600k is true)....and even wages.

SL when questioned re Tomlin’s claim that he was record signing, stated that Kodjia was over £3m, due to currency fluctuations.  I know the £ has crashed v the €, but £2.3m the initially claimed amount to over a £3m is a big crash on the £.  I suspect SL was including agent fees etc.

At the end of the day, as stated above, Engvall’s signing did not have the due diligence, and we panicked losing Kodjia and at the time didn’t know the impact Abraham would have.  A certain head scout / head of recruitment left (unbeknown to us for a few months) shortly after.  Coincidence?

I think there is a player in there, but not quite the the ability we hoped. But we also never got a chance to see either.

12 hours ago, DaveF said:

I can see why we signed him. Didn’t work out but they aren’t all going to... the crying over spilt milk on this forum is like nothing I’ve ever seen...

The problem isn't that it didn't work out. The problem is that we payed £2.5 million for a player we didn't even play. That must be unusual by anyone's standards. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I see Diony scored yesterday + got an assist and had a good pre-season. Wouldn’t it be typical if he has a great season after he’s left the club.

Unlike Engvall Diony has many desirable qualities, pace being tops, problem being City didn't and never were to play to his any of his strengths. Quite why we took him God only knows? You wouldn't blame a 5 ft 5in forward for not winning headers against a 6ft 6in Centre Half if punting it long ( oh dear, bad analogy .......)

Archived