IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/04/bristol-survival-bid-the-clash-bath-twickenham

Bristol chasing Europe not just safety in Twickenham ‘Clash’ with Bath

Pat Lam is adamant his players’ positive intent will not waver even if they are dragged back down into a relegation dogfight but he is looking up

When Bath opted to shift their home fixture against Bristol to Twickenham and market it as “the Clash” they did not imagine the uneasy scenario now confronting them. Should Bristol win on Saturday it will mark the first time since 2005 they have beaten Bath three times in a row and will bolster the Bears’ chances of qualifying for Europe above their West Country rivals.

A bonus-point victory allied to defeats for the bottom three teams – Newcastle, Worcester and Leicester – would also virtually guarantee Bristol safety from relegation, no mean achievement given the challenges they have had to face as a promoted side. In addition, it would justify their continuing faith in an open, adventurous brand of rugby which some critics initially branded as naive and foolhardy.

From their rousing opening-night win over Bath at Ashton Gate, Bristol have been a delight to watch and their director of rugby, Pat Lam, believes some other clubs could learn from how the Bears have approached this campaign. While his side’s defence has not always been watertight, Lam is adamant his players’ positive intent will not waver even if they are dragged back down into a relegation dogfight.

“People think we run the ball out of own half and it’s high-risk but we’ve trained to do that so we don’t look at it as risky,” says Lam, employing a flying analogy to explain his coaching philosophy. “If you put me on a plane and then asked me to fly it, that’s high-risk. If you put a trained pilot in the plane, it’s low-risk. It’s all very well talking about playing with no fear but the more you train how to implement it the better chance you have of it coming off.”

Having steered Connacht to the 2016 Pro12 title before joining Bristol, the Auckland-born former Samoa forward has also not wavered in his determination to look up rather than down. The Bears are only five points behind fifth-placed Northampton and even the injury absences of their star All Black, Charles Piutau, has not curtailed their attacking mindset. “From the start we’ve painted a vision of what we’re trying to achieve and how we want to play and train,” says Lam. “The whole focus has been on around the process, because the outcome will then take care of itself. Regardless of whether we win by 50 or lose by 50, we ask every day what we did well and what we can do better.”

More than most clubs they have also been prepared to take a punt on homegrown youth. Lam did the same in Galway, helping Jack Carty and Kieran Marmion progress from the Connacht academy to full Ireland caps, and Bristol’s two highly promising scrum-halves, Andy Uren and Harry Randall, are among those now making rapid strides. Uren, 23, is a local lad with the ability to make things happen while the diminutive Randall, 22, has represented both England and Wales at age-group level and is another sparky presence.

Lam has been sufficiently impressed not to have bothered looking around for bigger-name half-backs. “I’ve had to turn down any amount of quality, experienced 9s because I’ve seen the potential of these two boys,” says Lam. “The best way for them to get experience is to get game time and the two of them are pushing each other week in, week out, alongside Nic Stirzaker. Part of our vision is to develop players for England; that’s why we put the time into these guys.”

Only Newcastle and Leicester, meanwhile, have scored fewer tries than seventh-placed Bath, who were well beaten at Exeter in their last league fixture and have won away from the Rec in the league just once since September. Ticket sales for the Clash have nevertheless been buoyant, with the club hoping for a crowd of around 60,000. A live performance from the Wurzels is among the day’s featured attractions.

26 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well the next game is probably a write off as well. Got to get some points from Leics and Sale 

I disagree as we tend to perform well against the better teams at AG plus Saracens will be in the play-offs no matter what now so don't HAVE to get a result.  So, who knows...

End of the day the pressure is on Newcastle now, they can't afford another slip up or bad performance. 

16 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I disagree as we tend to perform well against the better teams at AG plus Saracens will be in the play-offs no matter what now so don't HAVE to get a result.  So, who knows...

End of the day the pressure is on Newcastle now, they can't afford another slip up or bad performance. 

Agree with you.  Sarries will be far more concerned with Semi Final the week after in the Champions Cup whilst we'll have a week off.   Hopefully we'll have that extra bit of intensity ...

On 11/04/2019 at 12:09, JBFC II said:

So Sarries up next, with 16 players out I can't see us getting much from this. 

13.5k sold so far, if we can get that up to 15 that would be a decent turn out. 

Here's hoping we can cause an upset... 

Any BP would be great from this. All eyes on the Newcastle v. Leicester game tonight. 

35 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Any BP would be great from this. All eyes on the Newcastle v. Leicester game tonight. 

Their bench is interesting....

A BP would be great, just need to keep up as many points from now till the end of the season and see where we get to. 

Controversially I’d rather Newcastle won tonight, no bonus points for either team obviously but that would destroy Leicester’s morale even more, especially with the Toouma situation and both Young’s brothers being out

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Massive result that. 

Newcastle v Worcester for the drop now? 

If we can't win one of the next 3 we are still in the mix.  Hopefully we can eke out a BP today at least and get something at Leicester. Just need to be 6 points clear of Newcastle by the time we play them..

What a great way to win, last kick of game.

i thought Saracens were bloody awful. Yes I realise they had secured their spot to have a crack at the title, but if they were a football team they would be a Bolton type, so bloody negative and not wanting to play the game. We got dragged into their hoofing it down the pitch and only when we ran at them they looked vulnerable, until their triple substitution.  I was very happy we got the win from them and didn’t settle for the bonus point.

And it was bloody freezing!

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

What a great way to win, last kick of game.

i thought Saracens were bloody awful. Yes I realise they had secured their spot to have a crack at the title, but if they were a football team they would be a Bolton type, so bloody negative and not wanting to play the game. We got dragged into their hoofing it down the pitch and only when we ran at them they looked vulnerable, until their triple substitution.  I was very happy we got the win from them and didn’t settle for the bonus point.

And it was bloody freezing!

I was there today. My buddy had a spare ticket and asked if I wanted it.

Sarries scored a very decent try but we’re negative with constantly kicking the ball away with the Bears booting it back...........:facepalm:Very dreary to watch........

That said the four points should put the Bears safe and they did well physically to cope with Sarries  juggernauts and score two decent tries themselves but the winning kick was fantastic!  

Watching from the Lansdown we had a side on view but knew it was over before it reached the posts. The fans in the SS started cheering when the ball was in flight.......