Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Mr Tomlin (Merged)


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Different strokes for different folks. If Warnock was that superior at doing his job he would have read between the lines and not bought the waster in the first place. Johnson needed to get the most out of a significant investment that I don't believe he really wanted in the first place.

It still surprises me that Warnock bought him, he must've had some idea what was going on with Tomlin here. But that is recruitment. Warnock is a "superior" man - manager, this is patently clear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

So it appears that those who said that the reason he failed here was that Johnson didn't know how to handle him, and that a Manager like Warnock would get more out of him due to his superior Man-Management skills, were right again...................:whistle:

Quite right shit due dilligence and/or an over inflated ego by the pair of them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Different strokes for different folks. If Warnock was that superior at doing his job he would have read between the lines and not bought the waster in the first place. Johnson needed to get the most out of a significant investment that I don't believe he really wanted in the first place.

Totally and utterly with you on this. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It still surprises me that Warnock bought him, he must've had some idea what was going on with Tomlin here. But that is recruitment. Warnock is a "superior" man - manager, this is patently clear. 

One thing I remember from the day he signed him was how he seemed very keen to make clear he wanted Tomlin on loan and when that proved difficult the chairman signed him on a permanent. I think he knew the risk from day 1, and believed having him on a short term loan would have been the best way of managing that risk.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RumRed said:

In terms of career trajectory probably, in terms of personality it seems they're polar opposites.

And JET could take a penalty.

And JET was an amiable and popular member of the squad

Tomlin was poison

A signing made by MA & LJ to grab popularity with some fans

A naive decision and poor judgement but a valuable lesson undoubtedly 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardiff signing Tomlin was a huge surprise at the time and I can barely believe it now. Why?! His form was awful, his wages too high and his attitude was stinky! 

Warnock not as wily as some make out because he decided to buy a total dud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Do you think he still has to sleep in the spare room?

The fact a bloke who has a clothing range called 'The Loyal Love' then cheated on his missus with the hired help is presumably the type of humour he does not understand.

Looks like 'The Loyal Love' is no longer selling it's clothes.. http://www.theloyallove.com/

Such a shame.. I was going to buy a cap and then tweet him a picture to try and persuade him to sign back here 😐

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A signing made by MA & LJ to grab popularity with some fans

A naive decision and poor judgement but a valuable lesson undoubtedly 

Tomlin was signed after he’d impressed whilst on loan from Bmuff. On the back of that fans put pressure on LJ to sign him. 

LJ found himself between a rock and a hard place. Not signing him would of attracted accusations of ‘lack of ambition’...blah,blah.....and at the time LJ was relatively new in post and despite Tomlins reputation went ahead and signed him. 

The fans were happy but it didn’t take long before they/we realised that he was clearly unfit and desperately inconsistent and were delighted when he was off loaded to  Cardiff.

I wouldn’t say it was poor judgement by every manager that has signed him - would you call Colin naive and lacking in judgement?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tomlin was signed after he’d impressed whilst on loan from Bmuff. On the back of that fans put pressure on LJ to sign him. 

LJ found himself between a rock and a hard place. Not signing him would of attracted accusations of ‘lack of ambition’...blah,blah.....and at the time LJ was relatively new in post and despite Tomlins reputation went ahead and signed him. 

The fans were happy but it didn’t take long before they/we realised that he was clearly unfit and desperately inconsistent and were delighted when he was off loaded to  Cardiff.

I wouldn’t say it was poor judgement by every manager that has signed him - would you call Colin naive and lacking in judgement?

 

I think that lengthy summary was exactly what Bob was saying anyway..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tomlin was poison

A signing made by MA & LJ to grab popularity with some fans

A naive decision and poor judgement but a valuable lesson undoubtedly 

A loan signing that most fans were clamouring to be made permanent.

Poor judgement by fans as well.

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tomlin was signed after he’d impressed whilst on loan from Bmuff. On the back of that fans put pressure on LJ to sign him. 

LJ found himself between a rock and a hard place. Not signing him would of attracted accusations of ‘lack of ambition’...blah,blah.....and at the time LJ was relatively new in post and despite Tomlins reputation went ahead and signed him. 

The fans were happy but it didn’t take long before they/we realised that he was clearly unfit and desperately inconsistent and were delighted when he was off loaded to  Cardiff.

I wouldn’t say it was poor judgement by every manager that has signed him - would you call Colin naive and lacking in judgement?

 

I agree with you that LJ signed Tomlin based on the evidence of a fine loan form. We all wanted him here!

However, Colin absolutely was naive. He had the benefit of our hindsight and still paid silly money for damaged goods. Silly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And JET was an amiable and popular member of the squad

Tomlin was poison

A signing made by MA & LJ to grab popularity with some fans

A naive decision and poor judgement but a valuable lesson undoubtedly 

I don't blame them for signing him after his positive loan spell.  Imo it was worth the gamble at the time and reckon 99% of us would've done the same to sign him. It's easy to say it was a bad signing from the start knowing the outcome. 

But I agree, a valuable lesson indeed. 

 

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redtucks said:

A loan signing that most fans were clamouring to be made permanent.

Poor judgement by fans as well.

 

It was judgement based on evidence, so it was a fair shout from the fans.

LJ also had the benefit of knowing Tomlin behind the scenes and surely had doubts but thought that it was worth the risk. 

By the time Tomlin was warming our bench, it should have been clear to the world that he wasn't worth the risk!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that lengthy summary was exactly what Bob was saying anyway..

A preamble leading up to my final point.......

I’d add that Tomlin is obviously very skilled at convincing managers to sign him.........

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mozo said:

It was judgement based on evidence, so it was a fair shout from the fans.

LJ also had the benefit of knowing Tomlin behind the scenes and surely had doubts but thought that it was worth the risk. 

By the time Tomlin was warming our bench, it should have been clear to the world that he wasn't worth the risk!

LJ also has the benefit of knowing many things behind the scenes, but it doesn't stop certain fans (who know nothing behind the scenes) calling him clueless!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tomlin was signed after he’d impressed whilst on loan from Bmuff. On the back of that fans put pressure on LJ to sign him. 

LJ found himself between a rock and a hard place. Not signing him would of attracted accusations of ‘lack of ambition’...blah,blah.....and at the time LJ was relatively new in post and despite Tomlins reputation went ahead and signed him. 

The fans were happy but it didn’t take long before they/we realised that he was clearly unfit and desperately inconsistent and were delighted when he was off loaded to  Cardiff.

I wouldn’t say it was poor judgement by every manager that has signed him - would you call Colin naive and lacking in judgement?

 

I’m nowhere near the inside football talk / gossip these days but in essence yes , and increasingly so with each move

I was surprised Eddie Howe signed him , very concerned that Lee did and very surprised Warnock did

As for Warnock , I guess it nowappears  he was naive , he’s dealt with dozens of Tomlins over the years and I think he believed he could get the best out of him as he has done with dozens over his career 

This clearly proved to be a misjudgement and he quickly recognised this and pushed him to one side

Im amazed with players like Tomlin that manager after manager keeps thinking they will be the one to change them 

There are managers out there who will still sign Tomlin if the finances allow

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I don't blame them for signing him after his positive loan spell.  Imo it was worth the gamble at the time and reckon 99% of us would've done the same to sign him. It's easy to say it was a bad signing from the start knowing the outcome. 

But I agree, a valuable lesson indeed. 

 

I wouldn’t have signed him and indicated so at the time

Purely based on my assessment of Eddie Howe and how he wanted rid

LJ and MA and anyone within the football world would know or should have known everything about Tomlin 

Don’t have a problem with a gamble on potential or ability at times but to bring a bad egg into your squad is a gamble too far for me personally

For a young manager who possibly lacks ‘presence’ and still establishing credibility ..... a time bomb

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I wouldn’t have signed him and indicated so at the time

Purely based on my assessment of Eddie Howe and how he wanted rid

LJ and MA and anyone within the football world would know or should have known everything about Tomlin 

Don’t have a problem with a gamble on potential or ability at times but to bring a bad egg into your squad is a gamble too far for me personally

For a young manager who possibly lacks ‘presence’ and still establishing credibility ..... a time bomb

 

People would've given LJ hell if he didn't sign Tomlin after that loan spell

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Some People would've given LJ hell if he didn't sign Tomlin after that loan spell

Slight amendment

You have a reasonable point but maybe those fans should have considered Tomlins reputation 

What Lee needed and still would find helpful, particularly with our ethos of easing young players through ,  is one or two experienced / good pros (Wilbraham) ideally , in key positions

In fairness Weimann and the twist of fate with injuries & picking up Kalas  (Experienced if not approaching end of their careers) has done exactly that IMHO in two very key positions

I get the impression that Bailey Wright probably has decent pro attributes and would be a good example in dressing room and on the training ground and some like Fielding , Pack and Smith I would assume, from all I see ,  are decent characters to have around  young pros

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Slight amendment

You have a reasonable point but maybe those fans should have considered Tomlins reputation 

What Lee needed and still would find helpful, particularly with our ethos of easing young players through ,  is one or two experienced / good pros (Wilbraham) ideally , in key positions

In fairness Weimann and the twist of fate with injuries & picking up Kalas  (Experienced if not approaching end of their careers) has done exactly that IMHO in two very key positions

I get the impression that Bailey Wright probably has decent pro attributes and would be a good example in dressing room and on the training ground and some like Fielding , Pack and Smith I would assume, from all I see ,  are decent characters to have around  young pros

 

 

Maybe only the ones who wanted him signed made themselves heard and the others stayed quiet. But I believe LJ and MA bent the rules for Tomlin and even a little bit of the wage budget. 18 app / 6 goals is a very tasty loan spell, I just think at the time it was worth the gamble on paper. But like you and others have pointed out, it's not as simple as that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Slight amendment

You have a reasonable point but maybe those fans should have considered Tomlins reputation 

What Lee needed and still would find helpful, particularly with our ethos of easing young players through ,  is one or two experienced / good pros (Wilbraham) ideally , in key positions

In fairness Weimann and the twist of fate with injuries & picking up Kalas  (Experienced if not approaching end of their careers) has done exactly that IMHO in two very key positions

I get the impression that Bailey Wright probably has decent pro attributes and would be a good example in dressing room and on the training ground and some like Fielding , Pack and Smith I would assume, from all I see ,  are decent characters to have around  young pros

 

 

Agreed, I was pretty neutral about signing Tomlin - obviously a talent, but the issues you mention and his childish 'will I? won't I?' tweets (trying to get City fans to buy his garish caps in order to get him to sign - some actually did!!) made me think he was an idiot.

Maybe Lee thought he'd be the one who could 'tame' him, but by signing him he created a big problem for himself as a young manager before the season had even begun.

I think we've got a good group of pros now with seemingly decent personalities. Doesn't seem to be many huge egos in the squad now either which is nice. Even the younger players seem grounded and hard working. This is going by their interviews and social media of course, so doesn't reveal the whole picture.. but you can definitely get an impression.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed, I was pretty neutral about signing Tomlin - obviously a talent, but the issues you mention and his childish 'will I? won't I?' tweets (trying to get City fans to buy his garish caps in order to get him to sign - some actually did!!) made me think he was an idiot.

Maybe Lee thought he'd be the one who could 'tame' him, but by signing him he created a big problem for himself as a young manager before the season had even begun.

I think we've got a good group of pros now with seemingly decent personalities. Doesn't seem to be many huge egos in the squad now either which is nice. Even the younger players seem grounded and hard working. This is going by their interviews and social media of course, so doesn't reveal the whole picture.. but you can definitely get an impression.

I think that was very much the case, he took the gamble and lost 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...