IGNORED

east end

leader

5 hours ago, Three Lions said:

There was never going to be another Eastend. Should have gone back to A/B. 

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

432 tickets available for E34 (Dolman A) for the Sheffield United game at the moment - nothing to stop 'singers' moving over there en masse if they want to.

I agree that Dolman A/B would have always been the best option for creating noise - bang on top of the away fans. 

Problem for me was always the compulsory seating. When in the Eastend, I enjoyed the ‘unreserved’ standing. Much like we have now in the SS corner. 

Dolman would’ve always been ideal if there were standing permitted. But any attempt to stand in there would result in ejection. 

So yes, whilst there’s plenty of tickets available, all those in the SS want to stand up. So the Dolman is not an option sadly. 

As others have said, the problem these days is not where the ‘singers’ are located. It’s the fact that only about 40 bother to try, with about 200 or so occasionally joining in. 

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 07:34, leader said:

this is something that really annoys me we must be  the only football club that stick the home fans into the corner of the ground surely it would help the team if they were behind the goal like other clubs its so quiet down the gate now,,, my mate from blackburn said he couldnt believe how many stewards was around the city fans in the corner ???? treated like away fans dreadful

A … Can we go back to the Dolman?

I have a Fila velour track top complete with authentic hoof mark on it from the eighties ready to go.

15 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree that Dolman A/B would have always been the best option for creating noise - bang on top of the away fans. 

Problem for me was always the compulsory seating. When in the Eastend, I enjoyed the ‘unreserved’ standing. Much like we have now in the SS corner. 

Dolman would’ve always been ideal if there were standing permitted. But any attempt to stand in there would result in ejection. 

So yes, whilst there’s plenty of tickets available, all those in the SS want to stand up. So the Dolman is not an option sadly. 

As others have said, the problem these days is not where the ‘singers’ are located. It’s the fact that only about 40 bother to try, with about 200 or so occasionally joining in. 

Compromise Harry.

Either you insist on being in a 'standing' area, with all the ridiculous over scrutiny and horrendous over stewarding that goes with it, or you relocate to Dolman A&B and try and create a genuine atmosphere in a more normal area while (mostly) sitting down.

A cynic might say that by permitting standing in the corner the club have got you exactly where they want you - many of the most 'volatile' fans gathered in one place where the powers that be can concentrate efforts to steward and dampen them down, while giving those fans just enough rope to hang themselves should they overdo the extra freedoms.

Section 82 would be far better off in Dolman A&B imo. while accepting the ground rules and that standing throughout the game is an idea you'll have to abandon until such time as safe standing is widely implemented at AG.

A fearsome atmosphere was achieved in these 2 blocks in the past without standing throughout the match and imo. there's no reason why it couldn't be again.

Interesting thread.

Agree with elements of all sides of this debate. Undoubtedly though, IMO the best place in terms of spreading atmosphere in a stand is from the centre- though tolerance as is shown at times to letting singers stand on the back row might spread it down and across, but those signing further down would need to be mainly seated- doesn't come naturally and not easy but a workaround.

@leader If you recall, the complaints a year ago culminating in the Man City home game was of riot police in this area. As far as I know, this doesn't really happen now- and let's be fair, with 3 pyros last season from that area, between Barnsley at home in August to the Man Utd home game, well it will always be a fairly heavily stewarded area- unsure how much choice the club have. Plus, stewards are markedly cheaper than police, riot police probably more expensive still- hence the lack of police and particularly riot police in the area means stewards can- and will I guess- be expected to fill the void- not least because they are somewhat more affordable!

This also is part of a cultural change of which we have all noticed, but probably don't give much thought to. 'Policing' of the ground is now predominantly the responsibility of stewards- many UK games are now police free, if we exclude a few spotters. Would be interesting to know how we compare to the national average.

@Harry That would have entailed displacement of existing season ticket holders, so was surely a non starter but definitely tend to agree with the idea, if not the logistics. Also depends where exactly you are in the Dolman- stewards tend to turn a blind eye to top row standing, same in the South stand- plenty of vocal fans in those areas historically and when I say historically not even meaning as far back as 70's, 80's but more recent than that IMO.

On 09/09/2018 at 12:07, Nogbad the Bad said:

Compromise Harry.

Either you insist on being in a 'standing' area, with all the ridiculous over scrutiny and horrendous over stewarding that goes with it, or you relocate to Dolman A&B and try and create a genuine atmosphere in a more normal area while (mostly) sitting down.

A cynic might say that by permitting standing in the corner the club have got you exactly where they want you - many of the most 'volatile' fans gathered in one place where the powers that be can concentrate efforts to steward and dampen them down, while giving those fans just enough rope to hang themselves should they overdo the extra freedoms.

Section 82 would be far better off in Dolman A&B imo. while accepting the ground rules and that standing throughout the game is an idea you'll have to abandon until such time as safe standing is widely implemented at AG.

A fearsome atmosphere was achieved in these 2 blocks in the past without standing throughout the match and imo. there's no reason why it couldn't be again.

Exactly! Singers to top row, perhaps they can start chants stood and people albeit sat, can respond and help it get going- I know it's not ideal but until Safe Standing finally gets the go-ahead in law it seems to be the best option. Agree on the cynical view too, seems the way of things currently.

We are as loud as anyone away from home. Manchester City fans stated we were the loudest supporters they have had at the Ethiad. Before someone says that was a one off I have been told this many times particularly at Fulham, Brentford and QPR in recent times.

As someone stated the EE was loud and volatile in the 70s but then someone decided to change the home end! This moment of 'brilliance' changed the dynamic in AG completely. 

This alteration lead to a sterile atmosphere at AG which by and large continues as we discuss which bit is the singing section season after season. As above! 

We will never be Reading. Most of them are Chelsea supporters that can't afford or be bothered to go there and The Majeski is convenient. 

Times have changed I get that, but all corners of the ground need to make some noise!

Well compared with some of the games I've watched on the telly over the last couple of seasons,Ashton Gate is a wall of noise,very few clubs fans make much noise nowdays,I bet if you went on to other clubs websites the fans would be saying similar to what is being said on here,lack of atmosphere,singing etc.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

We are as loud as anyone away from home. Manchester City fans stated we were the loudest supporters they have had at the Ethiad. Before someone says that was a one off I have been told this many times particularly at Fulham, Brentford and QPR in recent times.

As someone stated the EE was loud and volatile in the 70s but then someone decided to change the home end! This moment of 'brilliance' changed the dynamic in AG completely. 

This alteration lead to a sterile atmosphere at AG which by and large continues as we discuss which bit is the singing section season after season. As above! 

We will never be Reading. Most of them are Chelsea supporters that can't afford or be bothered to go there and The Majeski is convenient. 

Times have changed I get that, but all corners of the ground need to make some noise!

This may be the problem - an attitude of over there is the singing section that means we're not supposed to sing over here. 

I went to the new A Gate to watch the 4-0 demolition of Sheff Wednesday.

I was a bit confused, I thought I had gone to the St Mary Redcliffe by mistake.

I went looking for Jesus, but I found Bobby Reid instead.

The atmosphere, when winning 4-0 at home was, quite frankly, dreadful.

The ground is sterile, not like the good old days, when the noise from the East End was projected out into the ground by its low roof. 

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

I went to the new A Gate to watch the 4-0 demolition of Sheff Wednesday.

I was a bit confused, I thought I had gone to the St Mary Redcliffe by mistake.

I went looking for Jesus, but I found Bobby Reid instead.

The atmosphere, when winning 4-0 at home was, quite frankly, dreadful.

The ground is sterile, not like the good old days, when the noise from the East End was projected out into the ground by its low roof. 

What ground now days isn’t sterile though? With it like the good old days? 

On 08/09/2018 at 12:49, Moments of Pleasure said:

1. We are not, and never have been, the most demonstrative or "passionate," or excitable, or cocky or showy or "needy" area of the country. In my experience.

I've been around the UK watching football and to gigs, and crowds/audiences in Bristol are nothing like as enthusiastic/religiously hyped up as Glasweigans, as enthusiastic/emotional and sentimental as Geordies or Scousers, as shouty/"look how loud we can shout and swear!" as people in say Stoke or Leeds, not as "singy" as the Welsh (not that you'd know it at Cardiff), not as self-deprecating and humorous as say Man City or Sheff Weds, not as violently aggressive/territorial as Millwall and some others.....

2. We are not as regionally prowed and anti-south east England as Liverpool, Manchester, Yorkshire, Wales etc. We are laid back. And even a little embarrassed about ourselves (witness the cultural "shaming" and derision of the "yokel" accent). We lack the burning rage and desire of economically deprived areas of the country to stick two fingers up at London

3. The greatest contribution to popular music from this region - Massive Attack's 1991 album "Blue Lines" - consisted of three Bristol kiddies whispering, mumbling, stuttering and er, talking, not singing. Meanwhile, a bird from elsewhere was brought in to belt out some words at the top of her voice. Then, on subsequent albums, more birds from anywhere other than Bristol were brought in to stand at the front under the spotlight and do the singing, while the Bristol kiddies continued to whisper, mumble and talk in the shadows, or, in Portishead's case, scratch some records with a needle and make some fiddly/widdly/scratchy noises. 

4. Bristol is, and was, a quieter place than Sheffield, or Birmingham/the Black Country. They all worked in filthy, bloody noisy industrial places and had to "SHOUT!" just to hear each other, and their hearing went, and so they had to shout on a Saturday at Brammall Lane and the Hawthorns, and then went on to invent Heavy Metal and Industrial Synth music and so on, so loud so that they could hear it, what with their severely impaired hearing (Phil Oakley, singer - note: singer, not mumbler/whisperer - from Sheffield, had his hair cut accordingly, so he could hear properly from his one good ear). Meanwhile, we were mumbling and whispering, and inventing "trip hop." All true, this.

I agree with some of your points mate, and apologies for editing your post a bit, didn’t want to annoy people with lots of scrolling down! I just left in the bits to which I want to respond....

I don’t agree we are laid back...I think we’re traditionally initially suspicious and come across as unfriendly to many visitors until they really get to know us...I’ve heard this from loads of people. 

Also, Bristol has not been a quiet place, it can, and has been, a very volatile, demonstrative place which can explode at times - eg the riots in the 1980s (St Paul’s) and in 1992 (Hartcliffe/Withywood) - both episodes were front page news in national newspapers and first items on the television news for days on end.

And you only chose to mention Massive Attack as a contributor to music from our city as you thought they ‘mumbled’ and ‘stuttered’ thereby supporting your ‘non passionate’ views - I prefer to acknowledge the wide popularity of Bristol bands such as The Idles, Onslaught, Vice Squad, The Cortinas, Turbowolf, Strangelove, Five Knuckle, Chaotic Dischord, Rip, Rig & Panic, The Pigs, The Blue Areoplanes, Disorder...and even Nik Kershaw(!) etc, etc....these bands certainly didn’t ‘mumble’ or ‘stutter’ through introverted careers....they tore up the genres of punk, rock, ska and post-punk - and flew the flag for Bristol as highly passionate and wildly extrovert performers ... (with the possible exception of Nik Kershaw!)

And in terms of a day out at the football in BS3 - it has surprised many an away fan over the years, especially those who thought Bristol City away would be a pleasant day in the West Country taking the piss out of the ‘wurzels’ and ‘farmers’ - fans of clubs like Arsenal have publicly acknowledged that they came seriously unstuck in South Bristol when they thought they could prance around whacking the locals....nothing to be proud of, but it’s a fact...Ashton Gate has been a very difficult, violent and volatile away day for lots of clubs over the last 50 years...so I’d say Bristolians have been ‘aggressive’, ‘territorial’ and ‘regionally prowed (proud)’ despite your assertions...

Having said all that though, as I said, I do agree with some of your other points...

Always thought the Lower Lansdown next to the away supporters would be the seats of choice for the ex East Enders/Paddock/Park End/Dolman A and B lot. 

Went there a few times in the early days. Were a few of us, but not a great deal happening. 

Just go for random set of seats together now.  

Stadium great but atmosphere is mostly dire.

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

What ground now days isn’t sterile though? With it like the good old days? 

Remember Leeds away in February?

Yes plastic seats and all seaters but their fans were top notch, got behind them when the chips were down- pulled us back to 2-2.

Compare our 3-0 v Sunderland... our fans were surprisingly flat in comparison given our likely return to form, couldn't quite understand it.

10 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Always thought the Lower Lansdown next to the away supporters would be the seats of choice for the ex East Enders/Paddock/Park End/Dolman A and B lot. 

Went there a few times in the early days. Were a few of us, but not a great deal happening. 

Lower Lansdown? Not happening- family stand in the upper, the corporate area- it just isn't a realistic location- plus consider away fans are put into as narrow and compressed an area as possible, lower Atyeo or good parts of it not available, reduces the scope for stand on stand banter.

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

I thought city would have given the away fans the South Stand, and the Atyeo to home fans, create more noise, just a thought 

Would never happen now with the way the ground was rebuilt

All very easy having the Atyeo as a seperate stand

On 08/09/2018 at 19:20, FoD Barmy Army Bream said:

A block dolman full of singers that would be sweet

There’s usually 15 of us at the back that still try and revigorate the past occasionally as you yourself know but even our group is subsided in comparison to how we once were 10-15 years ago.

as wonderful as the east end was, looking back the reopening of said stand lead to atmosphere slowly dying in other areas of the ground.

still we can be a noisy bunch away from home when we want !

6 minutes ago, PeterStyvarsRightFoot said:

There’s usually 15 of us at the back that still try and revigorate the past occasionally as you yourself know but even our group is subsided in comparison to how we once were 10-15 years ago.

as wonderful as the east end was, looking back the reopening of said stand lead to atmosphere slowly dying in other areas of the ground.

That would seem to be the best hope, IMO for atmosphere in A and B block.

People who are singers up the back and sound cascading or at least heading down that people can join in with- but then again I dare say you and likeminded fans try it already?

25 minutes ago, PeterStyvarsRightFoot said:

Nah revitalised things for awhile because it gave fans a bit of freedom. its a pity it was not progressed. 

15 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Its now corporate and dedicated to the rugga but if right back at the start of the redevelopment if things like a Citys fans pub could have been done maybe. 

Archived