IGNORED

In praise of The Post's Gregor MacGregor

Fat Cigar

As is the modern way, we're far too quick to criticise and far too slow to dole out praise. I know people have complimented Greg M on here before but thought he deserved another thread. 

I've been really impressed by his reporting since taking over from Andy Stockhausen in summer 2017. His post-match analysis pieces in particular are always worth reading. He has a fine understanding of the club, the direction we're heading (it's forwards by the way) but hasn't been afraid to take the club to task when they overstep the mark (such as during the season ticket hike debacle). 

The podcasts he does with Michelle Owen are also excellent. Incidentally, her weekly columns in The Post are also worth a read. 

I know one of the biggest criticisms directed at Greg (and Andy before him) was how little he/they were 'in the know.' Whilst there is a grain of truth in this, it's not really his fault. Local journalism has been decimated. Clickbait 'news' is all that counts, at the expense of proper investigative work. Leaving little room for original reporting. Resources available to local journalists are virtually non-existent. 

In this sense, Greg is doing as well as he can. So, whilst he may not break every transfer story (although he did break a few), it's the commentary pieces that I most want to read.

That's all.

And to pre-empt: no, I don't work for the Post or have any friends who do,. I don't know Greg M and have never met him. Sometimes it's just nice to give out some praise. 

6 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

As is the modern way, we're far too quick to criticise and far too slow to dole out praise. I know people have complimented Greg M on here before but thought he deserved another thread. 

I've been really impressed by his reporting since taking over from Andy Stockhausen in summer 2017. His post-match analysis pieces in particular are always worth reading. He has a fine understanding of the club, the direction we're heading (it's forwards by the way) but hasn't been afraid to take the club to task when they overstep the mark (such as during the season ticket hike debacle). 

The podcasts he does with Michelle Owen are also excellent. Incidentally, her weekly columns in The Post are also worth a read. 

I know one of the biggest criticisms directed at Greg (and Andy before him) was how little he/they were 'in the know.' Whilst there is a grain of truth in this, it's not really his fault. Local journalism has been decimated. Clickbait 'news' is all that counts, at the expense of proper investigative work. Leaving little room for original reporting. Resources available to local journalists are virtually non-existent. 

In this sense, Greg is doing as well as he can. So, whilst he may not break every transfer story (although he did break a few), it's the commentary pieces that I most want to read.

That's all.

And to pre-empt: no, I don't work for the Post or have any friends who do,. I don't know Greg M and have never met him. Sometimes it's just nice to give out some praise. 

I would just like to say what excellent post this is .

Bravo .

:clap:Have this one on me Fat , old boy . 

Whilst I agree Gregor Mc is very good the rag he works for seem to want 4 or 5 different stories a day meaning we get speculation and inaccurate rumours alongside rehashed stories from weeks before. I suppose that is the price to pay for free City news, click bait for their advertiser's.

Truth is, as the OP quite rightly said the local media landscape and this is a nationwide thing has completely gone to shit last 20, maybe 30 years- definitely last 10. Clickbait is a product of merely being able to produce- without local press we (not just talking football) would be work off, so I just put it down to a cost of doing business.

With what he has to work with especially, he does a good job IMO. In fact he does well in his own right, but the lack of resources bumps it up if anything.

I never really disliked Stockhausen, and I felt bad for the guy when he was let go, but McG has done a good job since taking over.

To be honest, with a name like Gregor MacGregor, I didn't believe he was a real person. I worked with publishers in the past, and it's unbelievably common for even local newspapers to make up a name to get away with writing absolute bollocks with zero accountability. It's nice to hear he's, in fact, a real person, and that he's got the fans interest at heart.

• Admin
1 hour ago, numbeast said:

Whilst I agree Gregor Mc is very good the rag he works for seem to want 4 or 5 different stories a day meaning we get speculation and inaccurate rumours alongside rehashed stories from weeks before. I suppose that is the price to pay for free City news, click bait for their advertiser's.

Easier to pick up his stories via Twitter as he only links them when they go live - rather than all the associated nonsense the web recreate from those original stories

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Very good journalist but doesn't seem to have an indepth knowledge of the game. Some of his ratings are worse than on here! 

Ratings are always an interesting one.

I noted that in the Sunday Times reports for our first 2 home games,, ratings were very similar in the main- however Paterson who was slated on here in both, got a 6/10 v both Boro and Forest in those reports.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ratings are always an interesting one.

I noted that in the Sunday Times reports for our first 2 home games,, ratings were very similar in the main- however Paterson who was slated on here in both, got a 6/10 v both Boro and Forest in those reports.

National papers generally over the years have been odd, back in the old 1st division days people like Joe Royle, Norman Hunter or Peter Cormack got consistently high ratings no matter how they played, you have to assume because they were the ones they knew in advance. 

• Admin

For all the grief they’ve had in year’s past and as much as their website is a mare, I am grateful to The Post for publishing the video of the pre-match press conference with our manager given the club have given up doing proper interviews with our staff in favour of shitty little soundbite videos. The non-match side of BCTV has gone massively downhill since Adam left.

28 minutes ago, Ian M said:

For all the grief they’ve had in year’s past and as much as their website is a mare, I am grateful to The Post for publishing the video of the pre-match press conference with our manager given the club have given up doing proper interviews with our staff in favour of shitty little soundbite videos. The non-match side of BCTV has gone massively downhill since Adam left.

Great point. Greg M (when he's able) also publishes the full transcript of the pre and post-match interviews. Good to read.

The club (any club) is always going to focus more on the positive than the negative. Club output is very much glossy PR stuff. I tend to ignore most of it. Clubs with their own TV station are essentially their propaganda tools.

I’ve built a good rapport with Gee (Gregor) on Twitter and via DM. He’s a decent bloke I reckon. Offered to ask City officials and run stories about the Disabled ST and Parking price-hikes.

Seems to have a decent and improving relationship with City, especially DH, they always seem to have a bit of banter at pressers. 

Doing a good job and I think understands how far he can take rumours. I think AS was always trying to be ITK and not work with the club. 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve built a good rapport with Gee (Gregor) on Twitter and via DM. He’s a decent bloke I reckon. Offered to ask City officials and run stories about the Disabled ST and Parking price-hikes.

Seems to have a decent and improving relationship with City, especially DH, they always seem to have a bit of banter at pressers. 

Doing a good job and I think understands how far he can take rumours. I think AS was always trying to be ITK and not work with the club. 

Delicate balance between having a good working relationship and getting too close. I want my journalists to be in the know but also very much independent. I don't want Greg M to merely parrot what the club wants him to say. Football clubs don't like being criticised. So far so good. 

9 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

More good journalism if you're interested in this sort of thing:

REVEALED: How Bristol City's attendances compare to the real figures

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-how-bristol-citys-attendances-2000244#ICID=Android_BristolPostApp_AppShare

And these “actual” figures were what Bristol Sport used to back out of implementing the Matchday Parking Scheme they’d agree don’t with the Council as part of the planning permission 

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

Delicate balance between having a good working relationship and getting too close. I want my journalists to be in the know but also very much independent. I don't want Greg M to merely parrot what the club wants him to say. Football clubs don't like being criticised. So far so good. 

Yeah, agree, think he gets a decent balance.  Cotts and AS didn’t get on, so AS got nothing from the club!

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

More good journalism if you're interested in this sort of thing:

REVEALED: How Bristol City's attendances compare to the real figures

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-how-bristol-citys-attendances-2000244#ICID=Android_BristolPostApp_AppShare

My reply!

https://twitter.com/davefevs/status/1040292012199747584?s=21

Archived