IGNORED

In praise of The Post's Gregor MacGregor

Fat Cigar

13 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

Their podcast this week annoyed me as they continually insisted we are about to play 3 games in 6 days, spanning Saturday to Friday. 

I don’t know about them but that is a full 7 days to me. 

It spans seven calendar days, but it is 6 days and a few hours between the 1st and 3rd kick off.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It spans seven calendar days, but it is 6 days and a few hours between the 1st and 3rd kick off.

Sorry Dave, I’m with @tommy_b on this one, even if you judge it from the first kick off to the third final whistle rather than the calendar days they play on, the three games are not IN 6 days. Doesn’t even need sensationalising as 3 games in 7 days is sensational enough, it’s just lies.

12 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Sorry Dave, I’m with @tommy_b on this one, even if you judge it from the first kick off to the third final whistle rather than the calendar days they play on, the three games are not IN 6 days. Doesn’t even need sensationalising as 3 games in 7 days is sensational enough, it’s just lies.

Sat 3pm to Sat 3pm is 7 days....so Sat 3m to Fri 7.45pm is less than 7 days, but I get your point re “IN” 6 days if that means INSIDE. ?

I agree that it doesn’t need sensationalising, City have 2 games within a few days, followed by an early game the following weekend.  Wigan have exactly the same, so no advantage or disadvantage.  In fact our advantage is a bit of extra rest over Villa before our fixture with them.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sat 3pm to Sat 3pm is 7 days....so Sat 3m to Fri 7.45pm is less than 7 days, but I get your point re “IN” 6 days if that means INSIDE. ?

I agree that it doesn’t need sensationalising, City have 2 games within a few days, followed by an early game the following weekend.  Wigan have exactly the same, so no advantage or disadvantage.  In fact our advantage is a bit of extra rest over Villa before our fixture with them.

If they had said 3 games in less than 7 days that would have been fine ??

11 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

As is the modern way, we're far too quick to criticise and far too slow to dole out praise. I know people have complimented Greg M on here before but thought he deserved another thread. 

I've been really impressed by his reporting since taking over from Andy Stockhausen in summer 2017. His post-match analysis pieces in particular are always worth reading. He has a fine understanding of the club, the direction we're heading (it's forwards by the way) but hasn't been afraid to take the club to task when they overstep the mark (such as during the season ticket hike debacle). 

The podcasts he does with Michelle Owen are also excellent. Incidentally, her weekly columns in The Post are also worth a read. 

I know one of the biggest criticisms directed at Greg (and Andy before him) was how little he/they were 'in the know.' Whilst there is a grain of truth in this, it's not really his fault. Local journalism has been decimated. Clickbait 'news' is all that counts, at the expense of proper investigative work. Leaving little room for original reporting. Resources available to local journalists are virtually non-existent. 

In this sense, Greg is doing as well as he can. So, whilst he may not break every transfer story (although he did break a few), it's the commentary pieces that I most want to read.

That's all.

And to pre-empt: no, I don't work for the Post or have any friends who do,. I don't know Greg M and have never met him. Sometimes it's just nice to give out some praise. 

Totally agree, a totally unbiased reporter & a breath of fresh air after Stocky. :clap:

TBF to GMcG, he'll know the Post lost the trust of the club many years before his (and Stockhausen's) appointment to the City beat.

A cabal of Gaseous no-marks on the news and sports desk in the past and a slew of knocking stories, inaccuracies and betrayed confidences saw to that.  

Gregor will do well if he can rebuild any sort of relationship with BCFC. Some of the Post's previous reporting has infuriated Lansdown and others at the club and Steve remains very cagy with all media as a result of the experience.

BBC West has a better relationship with the club, but that is based on knowing when to keep confidences. That means they'll often be second to stories, if the club doesn't want them told yet.

Archived