IGNORED

So I met with Matt Parsons

Bristol Rob

44 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The current badge tarnishes any identity that we’re trying to create. It’s a Council badge?

The badge of any football club is the first image you base in your head. Little things like MOTD, EFL highlights, Sunday papers, football match day programmes. You see opposing teams and their badges and you know exactly who they are.

Who seriously knows Bristol City Council outside of the region?

A football badge has to be purely associated with the club and it’s ‘identity’. Therefore the Robin and Suspension Bridge fits perfectly for Bristol City FC and that’s what it should be.

Be careful what you wish for. That  Bristol Bears badge is atrocious and wouldn’t surprise me to see them do something similar for us. 

The old robin looks decent imo. That or stick with the coat of arms. 

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

But we were only in the top flight for four years. Infact over the last 100 years that’s the only time we have. Historically we’ve always been a Div 2 or 3 side. Do those four years way heavy on expectations of those who experienced it compared to many of us who didn’t? Genuine question no dig intended. 

Those four years don’t make me think that we have a right to be back up there....but I miss those days so much....we were in the top division in England, the East End was in its pomp, we beat Arsenal away in our first league game back in the top tier, we did the double over Spurs in that first season, we beat Liverpool in front of 38,000 at The Gate at the end of the first season, then drew home and away with them the next season....against THAT Liverpool side....and we did the double over THAT Ipswich team in 1978/1979....whilst also stuffing Man Utd away in the Kevin Mabbutt game....then we beat Liverpool AGAIN - stuffed em 1-0 at The Gate....and even in the season we went down we hammered Leeds away....all fantastic memories....Gow terrorising opposition midfielders is my abiding memory....but he could also play, what a man, what a City legend....so, like I said, I don’t expect us to be in the top tier, and I can’t see it happening anytime soon, but I loved those days so bloody much....iconic home kit, iconic away kit....and a squad full of players who gave everything for the shirt, in every single game....I loved those boys and I still do....

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe I miss placed the question, it seems to be rapidly turning in to a debate that never happened.

It was more about how other clubs perceived us, rather than how we protect ourselves.

In that case, I think most other clubs see us as a footballing backwater, both geographically and in footballing terms. They don’t hate us on the whole but they don’t love and respect us either, I doubt if many outside the championship could name any of our players. We aren’t famous for anything, haven’t been in the top flight for years and haven’t won any trophies of note.

I do think some may have took a bit of notice at the time last season when we played the Manchester clubs, but that’s about it. Long forgotten now I expect by anyone than us.

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Those four years don’t make me think that we have a right to be back up there....but I miss those days so much....we were in the top division in England, the East End was in its pomp, we beat Arsenal away in our first league game back in the top tier, we did the double over Spurs in that first season, we beat Liverpool in front of 38,000 at The Gate at the end of the first season, then drew home and away with them the next season....against THAT Liverpool side....and we did the double over THAT Ipswich team in 1978/1979....whilst also stuffing Man Utd away in the Kevin Mabbutt game....then we beat Liverpool AGAIN - stuffed em 1-0 at The Gate....and even in the season we went down we hammered Leeds away....all fantastic memories....Gow terrorising opposition midfielders is my abiding memory....but he could also play, what a man, what a City legend....so, like I said, I don’t expect us to be in the top tier, and I can’t see it happening anytime soon, but I loved those days so bloody much....iconic home kit, iconic away kit....and a squad full of players who gave everything for the shirt, in every single game....I loved those boys and I still do....

Did the double over Arsenal, that first season too. 

33 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

That really wasn't the impression I got, it was a question that was raised at a conference, rather than something club led. 

Matt said he knows a lot of the guys involved with S82 (and they are they same guys I either know personally or by association), and he was at pains to point out that this identity wasn't something that could be forced, rather it was something that would/could/might occur - not remotely a club or Bristol Sport discussion.

It was a genuine question asked in the right spirit and with no undercurrent of an expected solution. If it was, there are far more agreeable people than myself to get a view from.

I sincerely hope you're right. 

But doubt it.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ashton Gate is our identity, instantly recognisable to anyone in football.

Good point....no other club has Gate in their stadium name, it’s unique and so much better than the ubiquitous ‘Park’, ‘Ground’, ‘Stadium’, ‘Road’ etc descriptors .....even Chesterfield’s old Saltergate didn’t count, it wasn’t a separate word....

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

in his small working group was his Sheffield Wednesday and QPR equivalents and it wasn't difficult to identify either of those clubs, Wednesday unique suffix of a name and of course being The Owls. QPR, their name is on their badge and if you are thinking EFL and 'the hoops' chances are, first thought QPR.

But what is OUR identity?

With all respect to Matt, he's drawn the short straw having this conversation with those two clubs - which distorts the question massively.

Notwithstanding the fact the only real barometer for our identity would be other fans, not us, a comparison to them doesn't serve us well.

At that level, we aren't unique - Wednesday has their name (Wednesday) and nickname (Owls), QPR has nickname (R's) and strip (hoops). 

Our name (City) is not unique. Our nickname isn't unique. Our colours aren't unique. And officially even playing in Bristol isn't unique to us.

And the real source of implicit, universal, nationally held identity - memories, achievements - we're kind of short on. We haven't registered.

But before a marketing exercise makes us all feel unnecessarily inadequate, go back to that small working group that Matt had to work in.

What if he was discussing it with Birmingham City? A club that also has nothing unique to it. I couldn't honestly tell you their identity either.

And frankly as an opponent, I'd say a third of the Championship are faceless. Reading are the Royals but they're utterly irrelevant. Hull too.

Go down the divisions and most clubs don't tick any identity box, at least not on anything other than a superficial level such as nickname.

And that's the reality, we are traditionally a Tier 2/3 club and in a minority that hasn't played in the Premiership. We don't have any identity. 

So at a non-superficial level, only success will bring identity - and that's okay, our best days will lie ahead, we can forge our own identity.

At a superficial, branding-exercise level, as Spudski has pointed out, we don't stick to anything - strip or crest - long enough to be classy.

The fact Purple & Lime has come up a few times on this thread is amazing and very revealing about a lack of impact of our main brand.

God forbid this is all about branding and focus groups, by the way, but I have a horrible feeling it will be. The Robin experiment is a clue.

Purely as an exercise in uniqueness, I've often wondered what the simplest identifier is for our club. Could "CITY" apply to anyone else?

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I sincerely hope you're right. 

But doubt it.

I'd consider myself a fair judge of character, and I would say the question was genuine.

It didn't come with a strategy, an implementation plan, blue sky thinking or any of the buzz words that Mark Ashton throws out.

I honestly think it was a question born from a throw away activity at a conference, that Matt struggled to answer and the other delegates failed to identify us against. Which is why I raised it.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Purely as an exercise in uniqueness, I've often wondered what the simplest identifier is for our club. Could "CITY" apply to anyone else?

Well the word ‘City’ is obviously constantly (and very annoyingly) used by the media to refer to Man City.....but if you mean using it in red, I suppose other ‘red’ clubs could lay claim to it - such as Exeter, Stoke, York, Lincoln, Brechin.....even Cardiff in their Redbirds days!!!! I don’t think we are big enough, or arrogant enough to claim we are the only red City.....

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

With all respect to Matt, he's drawn the short straw having this conversation with those two clubs - which distorts the question massively.

Notwithstanding the fact the only real barometer for our identity would be other fans, not us, a comparison to them doesn't serve us well.

At that level, we aren't unique - Wednesday has their name (Wednesday) and nickname (Owls), QPR has nickname (R's) and strip (hoops). 

Our name (City) is not unique. Our nickname isn't unique. Our colours aren't unique. And officially even playing in Bristol isn't unique to us.

And the real source of implicit, universal, nationally held identity - memories, achievements - we're kind of short on. We haven't registered.

But before a marketing exercise makes us all feel unnecessarily inadequate, go back to that small working group that Matt had to work in.

What if he was discussing it with Birmingham City? A club that also has nothing unique to it. I couldn't honestly tell you their identity either.

And frankly as an opponent, I'd say a third of the Championship are faceless. Reading are the Royals but they're utterly irrelevant. Hull too.

Go down the divisions and most clubs don't tick any identity box, at least not on anything other than a superficial level such as nickname.

And that's the reality, we are traditionally a Tier 2/3 club and in a minority that hasn't played in the Premiership. We don't have any identity. 

So at a non-superficial level, only success will bring identity - and that's okay, our best days will lie ahead, we can forge our own identity.

At a superficial, branding-exercise level, as Spudski has pointed out, we don't stick to anything - strip or crest - long enough to be classy.

The fact Purple & Lime has come up a few times on this thread is amazing and very revealing about a lack of impact of our main brand.

God forbid this is all about branding and focus groups, by the way, but I have a horrible feeling it will be. The Robin experiment is a clue.

Cheers Rob, it makes me think that with regards to Brum, the word that jumps out to me is 'Zulu' - another club with no unique (positive) identifier.

Do we need a unique identifier? Is another question. Are the Fewers (sorry, I have identified them) so irrelevant that WE ARE BRISTOL is sufficient, but it prompts thinking.

Away at Man City last season, the 'Just like Bristol,  your city is Red' chant was dominant - is that an identifier?

44 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Be careful what you wish for. That  Bristol Bears badge is atrocious and wouldn’t surprise me to see them do something similar for us. 

The old robin looks decent imo. That or stick with the coat of arms. 

I’d quite happily have the badge on the white away strip and leave it at that. It doesn’t need any work, you know exactly who it represents.

8 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Gary Johnson's Skip Hire business.

I phoned the council, I said ‘I wanna skip outside my house’ - they replied ‘well, we’re not stopping you....’

2 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

As already mentioned It's due to being outside the top flight for so long isn't it? Who is the biggest club legend/notable player you've had?

John Atyeo....

We should officially embrace a term that has been foisted upon us as a derogatory by jealous sad insignificance's …. what better way to throw it back at those 'prowed' saddoes than to take the intended insult, embrace it as our own and proclaim ourselves as proud …. Ashton Gate TED'S …. 

( unique, with a back story, and, come on you Reds - it's pretty damned funny ain't it? )

Proud to be a 'TED' !  

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Quite simple for me. The thing that stands out for me is the Suspension Bridge and Robin.

Brunel’s bridge is a stone throw away from the ground, coming from the portway or the Winterstoke Road way, you can always see the bridge, followed by Ashton Gate. 

Robin - It’s been our nickname for donkeys years and was featured on our badge for many a year. We’re the Robins, much more superior to Swindon and Cheltenham.

If we want ‘identity’ I’d start by playing in our white away strip...

Yup, and it's visible from the South Stand and a lot of the Lansdown - I really hope it won't be obscured by any Atyeo rebuild.

I agree with @spudski in regards to chomping and changing our kit, especially this season which is "boro" through and through - very strange design decision.

3 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

We should officially embrace a term that has been foisted upon us as a derogatory by jealous sad insignificance's …. what better way to throw it back at those 'prowed' saddoes than to take the intended insult, embrace it as our own and proclaim ourselves as proud …. Ashton Gate TED'S …. 

( unique, with a back story, and, come on you Reds - it's pretty damned funny on it? )

Proud to be a 'TED' !  

Proud to be shitheads ? I always thought it was a dumb insult, especially the Bristol Shitty - they forget they are a Bristol City (City of Bristol) team as well or have the fully embraced their S.Glos wannabe identity.

Archived