IGNORED

So I met with Matt Parsons

Bristol Rob

35 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I would scrap the robin which is not associated with us by anyone else and is a weak symbol in itself. 

Stick to the Suspension bridge which is right next to our ground and means Bristol to almost everybody.

The old badge with the bridge, robin and football is a right naff jumble and should be consigned to history.

This. You can see the bridge from (parts of) the ground, the SS Great Britain is what, a twenty minute walk away? Temple Meads is another IKB masterpiece and only half an hour away.

In case you couldn`t tell, I`m a huge fan of the man and his work and I can`t understand why City don`t make a lot more of it (mind you, I don`t think the city in general does half as well as it could either). I suppose there could be copyright issues with image rights but that can be overcome if there is a will.

As an aside, what about Concorde? That will always be inextricably linked with Bristol too.

4 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Had a quick go but perhaps it's too long. Maybe just simply welcome to ashton gate.

ashton-gate-meetings-1-16-AUGUST-2017.jpg.853ff9326620f036134ab49deb2d81c9.jpg

Do we want to be "Welcoming"? I know the team often do their best to make opponents feel at home, but I would rather a simple statement of "This is Ashton Gate".

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Quite a few people I know outside Bristol associate the Clifton Suspension Bridge with people committing suicide, rather than any positive association with Bristol City. 

Purple and Lime. Cider. West Country. Pride of the West. All good. This is why i wonder why we get so annoyed at commentators calling us Bristol. We are City. We ARE Bristol. 

Similarly sized too. 

Oddly Reg, when put on the spot about what could be identifying when I met with Matt was the 'We are' statement.

We ARE BRISTOL.

We ARE FOOTBALL.

We ARE CIDER.

Oor arr? WE ARE.

And of course it could apply to anything else under the Bristol Sport umbrella.

But it did all sound a bit corporate, far from organic and fan driven, the sort of nonsense you would pay a think tank quarter of a million for them to come up with.

It's no #DMS that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

This. You can see the bridge from (parts of) the ground, the SS Great Britain is what, a twenty minute walk away? Temple Meads is another IKB masterpiece and only half an hour away.

In case you couldn`t tell, I`m a huge fan of the man and his work and I can`t understand why City don`t make a lot more of it (mind you, I don`t think the city in general does half as well as it could either). I suppose there could be copyright issues with image rights but that can be overcome if there is a will.

As an aside, what about Concorde? That will always be inextricably linked with Bristol too.

I can't tell.

Aren you a fan of Brunel or not?

9 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't like "Pride of the West" at all but then it's not up to me. It just doesn't sound right.

Back in the day it was a good slogan, but Pride nowadays has been taken by a different group Nationally, and Internationally. Maybe we missed the boat on this. Is that why it doesn’t sound right to you? I’m not at all citing any prejudice here, just the fact that the word Pride means something totally different to a lot of people now?

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Oddly Reg, when put on the spot about what could be identifying when I met with Matt was the 'We are' statement.

We ARE BRISTOL.

We ARE FOOTBALL.

We ARE CIDER.

Oor arr? WE ARE.

And of course it could apply to anything else under the Bristol Sport umbrella.

But it did all sound a bit corporate, far from organic and fan driven, the sort of nonsense you would pay a think tank quarter of a million for them to come up with.

It's no #DMS that's for sure.

If I’ve just mentioned it surely that’s organic enough!? When do I get my £250k? 

#WeAreBristol 

58 minutes ago, RedM said:

Back in the day it was a good slogan, but Pride nowadays has been taken by a different group Nationally, and Internationally. Maybe we missed the boat on this. Is that why it doesn’t sound right to you? I’m not at all citing any prejudice here, just the fact that the word Pride means something totally different to a lot of people now?

I was thinking about it last night. I didn’t even think about anything political or those connotations. It just had no meaning to me at all. I did google it yesterday afternoon and there was a western from 1938 with hopalong Cassidy, which still I didn’t have an issue with. Then I thought of it like an agricultural show but that was probably more to do with it sounding like prize. 

Maybe it’s just that the words don’t flow...

On 30/10/2018 at 14:58, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agree with all of that even the bit about the gAssholes - "The Pirates" is more original (and appropriate for a Bristol team) than "The Robins", one of the very few interesting things they've managed in over 100 years existence and the only thing to do with them about which I've ever thought "I wish we'd done that". If only City had adopted Bedminster's kit instead of Bristol South End's when merging - then our nickname would be "The Garibaldians" (after the revolutionary, not the biscuit).

Shame we adopted the yellow and lime as we could have had a link to our past and had various kits in the Bedminster colours

1853443601_customimage(1).png.929781e65a2f8238e3d595dd60702bac.pngcustomimage.png.c9f81f0937d05d2a23e048ff893dec98.png454521010_customimage(2).png.f04c765247a2e2ccca3a8c30b28b788c.png

but the purple and lime is still relatively new, and not used for that many years, so goes to show how quickly people can grow to identify something with the club (especially the younger fans who know the purple and lime as a thing now).

On 30/10/2018 at 15:17, Olé said:

Agree with everything you said, on this note, you're absolutely right, "Pride of the West" and "Best in the West" all highlight a clear geographical leadership.

That's something that is unique, and we could shout about. Why not plaster everything we have and everything we do with the subtitle: WE ARE THE WEST

Over time that should build a clear claim to be THE football club for the whole of the West of England. And who else across the region would dispute that?

Perhaps then, instead of the rest of the country thinking south of Birmingham and west of London is just "a bunch of clubs", it becomes Bristol City alone.  

Strictly on a geographic basis, ignoring Wales, our catchment area in the top two tiers is little bettered, and if we got to the Prem it'd be even more obvious.

That's got to be worth something to identity, and with success, perhaps we convert more across the region if we simply lay claim to representing the West. 

(bonus suggestion - if we all think The Gate is so unique, have a look at St. Louis in the US, which built a giant arch to proclaim itself "Gateway to the West".)

I like the pride of the west thing, and your right about the Suspension Bridge - I would love for the back of the Atyeo to take advantage of the views of the Suspension Bridge - want something unique ? How about that stand being open at the back showing of those views and one of the worlds most iconic bridges, or large parts of it being clear panes.

On 31/10/2018 at 12:33, RedRaw said:

There is a prominent part of the ground, visible to most including tv cameras that is crying out for a strapline/branding/identifier/statement etc......

Dolman-Stand1.jpg

We all know that egos can over rule us at times, wonder how Banksy would feel about having the biggest piece of permanent graffiti up there (if we ever hit financial trouble we could hack it of and sell it ?) remit that is prominently shows "Pride of the West" the rest, pretty much open to him. NOW that would be something to get noticed.

Anyway, custom, associaiton, even History and myths can be cultivated very quickly, it just needs willing people who like/enjoy that part of the club to embrace it - within a few years, that is you.

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

Shame we adopted the yellow and lime as we could have had a link to our past and had various kits in the Bedminster colours

1853443601_customimage(1).png.929781e65a2f8238e3d595dd60702bac.pngcustomimage.png.c9f81f0937d05d2a23e048ff893dec98.png454521010_customimage(2).png.f04c765247a2e2ccca3a8c30b28b788c.png

but the purple and lime is still relatively new, and not used for that many years, so goes to show how quickly people can grow to identify something with the club (especially the younger fans who know the purple and lime as a thing now).

I like the pride of the west thing, and your right about the Suspension Bridge - I would love for the back of the Atyeo to take advantage of the views of the Suspension Bridge - want something unique ? How about that stand being open at the back showing of those views and one of the worlds most iconic bridges, or large parts of it being clear panes.

We all know that egos can over rule us at times, wonder how Banksy would feel about having the biggest piece of permanent graffiti up there (if we ever hit financial trouble we could hack it of and sell it ?) remit that is prominently shows "Pride of the West" the rest, pretty much open to him. NOW that would be something to get noticed.

Anyway, custom, associaiton, even History and myths can be cultivated very quickly, it just needs willing people who like/enjoy that part of the club to embrace it - within a few years, that is you.

this is why you don't multi task kids......   "yellow and lime"

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:35, Bristol Rob said:

Well this has prompted a debate!

South Bristol - Not mentioned.

Global Sticker Bombing Sensations - Not mentioned.

Wurzels - Not mentioned....

Maybe we are a club with no identity and those bits of identity that we stumble across are never meant to be embraced in the long term. Still, at least our anthems haven't been stolen from Plymouth.

the sticker thing has been going on ten years now. Toss up between City and Celtic as to who were the first football stickers bombers in the uk. it was also a attempt to promote the identity of fans. many of the early designs had Wurzel references on them. Not sure about this stumbling either its mostly about the West Country x Bristol and what we or some of us are. 

On 31/10/2018 at 12:33, RedRaw said:

There is a prominent part of the ground, visible to most including tv cameras that is crying out for a strapline/branding/identifier/statement etc......

Dolman-Stand1.jpg

I think on that space just having “ASHTON GATE STADIUM” in big bold capitals would look best.

17 hours ago, Fiale said:

I would love for the back of the Atyeo to take advantage of the views of the Suspension Bridge - want something unique ? How about that stand being open at the back showing of those views and one of the worlds most iconic bridges, or large parts of it being clear panes.

Little known fact. If you go and stand in the back couple of rows of the South Stand, the Suspension Bridge looks like it’s sitting on the top of the Atyeo. They had the South Stand built at that height on purpose. :) 

18 hours ago, Fiale said:

I like the idea of the Bedminster strip. Did they have a badge in the olden days?

52 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Little known fact. If you go and stand in the back couple of rows of the South Stand, the Suspension Bridge looks like it’s sitting on the top of the Atyeo. They had the South Stand built at that height on purpose. :) 

The views from the top of the SS and Lansdown are pretty good (especially in the winter when the Greville Smith Park trees shed their leaves). The stadium is set in very picturesque location with Ashton Court, the Cumberland Basin, River, Avon George and Clifton acting as it's back drop, not that of course  notice these things as the football is always such a joy to watch it takes away from it :whistle:

18 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I like the idea of the Bedminster strip. Did they have a badge in the olden days?

I have no idea tbh - I saw a photo with some of the players, they look right chars - 

Bedminster F.C. - Bristol City F.C.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 18:22, Bristol Rob said:

On Saturday, just for a 'Hello' and to put a face to the name.

Had a really nice chat with him and clearly he is looking to engage with as many supporters as possible and to get to know people (reckon it's because my forum name begins with a 'B' he collared me early in the process).

In amongst our chin-wag, he asked me a question that he has clearly asked other people and other groups, and it's something that probably warrants a wider debate.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO was saying that he had been at an EFL conference and the question of 'identity' had been raised, he said that in his small working group was his Sheffield Wednesday and QPR equivalents and it wasn't difficult to identify either of those clubs, Wednesday unique suffix of a name and of course being The Owls. QPR, their name is on their badge and if you are thinking EFL and 'the hoops' chances are, first thought QPR.

But what is OUR identity? What makes us unique? 

Is that fans or club?

Because the sketches are very different.

If the club were fans Ashton Gate would look like it.

211bristolcityashtongatepanorama.jpg?w=5

Football was flourishing in the area well before Bristol South End Football Club came into being. Warmley, St George, Clifton Association, Eastville Rovers (founded as the Black Arabs) and Bedminster AFC were the top dogs. Internal dissention within the ranks of the Bedminster club, coupled with the disbandment of Bristol South AFC, lead the erstwhile Minster members Fred W. Keenan and John Durant to form Bristol South End on the 12th April 1894.

bristolcity.jpg?w=106&h=150The new club, clad in red shirts and navy blue shorts, commenced their career in front of a 3,500 St John’s Lane crowd who witnessed a defeat at the hands of Swindon Town on 1 September 1894. As the club progressed and their popularity increased large canvas screens were raised during matches to block out the free view hundreds of spectators had from Windmill Hill. Not only did attendances rise, the huge screens were also used as advertisement hoardings.

The club was renamed Bristol City FC on the adoption of professionalism in 1897 and made into a limited company following a famous meeting at the Albert Hall, Bedminster. A decision was made to employ a manager, and of those that applied the name of Sam Hollis, trainer at Woolwich Arsenal, stood out. His first assignment at Bristol City was to assemble a squad of players to take part in the Southern League having been given a transfer fund of just £40.

030bristolcityashtongateentrance.jpg?w=5

In 1900 City merged with Bedminster, the club who had moved to Ashton Gate from Greenway Bush Lane. After one season playing at both St. John’s Lane and Ashton Gate and then three seasons back at St. John’s Lane, the decision was made in 1904 to adopt Ashton Gate as the new home.

bristolcitytoffs.jpg?w=150&h=150The players by now wore red shirts and white shorts, adopted in 1897, a combination almost unchanged for the following hundred years which eventually would earn them the nickname ‘The Robins’. The earliest documentation of a tag however was ‘The Garabaldians’, so called on account of the red shirts worn by the followers of the Italian revolutionary Garibaldi. In those early days the players were also referred to as ‘The Citizens’ as well as simply the ‘Red Shirts ’or ‘Reds’.

In consequence of their rapid rise to prominence they soon became universally known as the ‘Bristol Babe’, lasting until the late 1940’s when the present nickname came to fore, this apparently first having been used in 1926 when the song ‘When the red, red, robin goes bob, bob, bobbing along’, written by Harry Woods was the hit of the moment.

211bristolcityashtongatewinterstock.jpg?

The red and white from the year ‘The Robins’ turned professional remained until adopting an all red strip in the mid-Sixties. It was jettisoned after six years and so the early Seventies saw the return of the familiar red and white. The beginning of the Eighties heralded black shorts, but the following season saw a reversion to white. However, the past few seasons all red has made a re-appearance. In the opinion of many faithfuls, City’s best ever strip was that worn in the 1954-55 promotion season, this being modelled on the Arsenal kit.

bristolcitynow-psd.jpg?w=150&h=150With regard to the club’s badge this has, since 1897, always been the Coat of Arms of the City and County of Bristol, first appearing on the shirt for the 1901-02 campaign. By a patent of Robert Cooke esquire, alias Clariencieux, principal and king of ares of the south east and west part of this realm of England from the river of Trente southewards, the arms of the city of Bristol are declared to be “gules on a mount vert, issuant out of a castle silver upon wave, a ship gold” and the crest and supporters granted in 1569 “upon the heaulme in a wreathe golde and gules; issuant out of the cloudes two armes in saltour charnew, in the one hand a serpent vert, in the other a pair of balance gold; supported with two unicornes seant gold mained, horned; and clayed sables mantled gules dowbled silver.” The motto “Virtute et industria.”

Uuhh, what does that mean? Well, the arms show a golden ship, representing Bristol’s seafaring traditions, leaving from the Watergate of a silver castle, signifying a stronghold. Bristol’s castle at that time was a twin-towered structure, built in the 1240s by order of Henry III. The helmet above the shield depicts the armies that left Bristol in early history. The crossed arms over the crown hold scales in one hand, denoting justice and a green serpent in the other hand, indicating wisdom.

This emblem first appeared on the shirts for the 1901-02 campaign and was retained for 1902-03. Subseqently it did not re-appear, except for the FA Cup final of 1909, until post-war days in 1950-51.

bristolcityrobin-psd.jpg?w=125&h=150However, in 1949-50 a badge was on the shirt, but this saw the use of a robin for the first time. The arms remained until the end of the 1960-61 season. It wasn’t until 1970-71 that the practice was revived. As Bristol City’s club badge was similar in design to that of Bristol Rovers, the Ashton Gate club launched a competition among their supporters in the early Seventies to design a completely new crest.

bristolcitygate-psd.jpg?w=124&h=150

A 57-year old rugby fan, Harry Winn, won the prize in 1972 by coming up with a robin on a five-bar gate. Appearing in the programme and on City’s merchandise it never graced the club shirts which continued to show the coat of arms.

The 1976-77 campaign heralded the adoption of the robin, ball and Clifton Suspension Bridge design. It remained on the shirt until 1983 when plain lettering simply showing B.C. 82 was introduced. It wasn’t until 1986-87 that the robin badge made a re-appearance and remained until the mid-Nineties when the arms were restored.

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

The Robin, the Gate, and Bristol City big and bold.

Well done Harry Wynn, this would have made a great shirt badge at the time and an updated version would be better than the crest too.

Well remember this badge prominently on the front cover of the programme with Geoff Merrick.

• Admin
48 minutes ago, spudski said:

030bristolcityashtongateentrance.jpg?w=5

I find it odd that there is no an updated version of this out the front of the rebuild by now

There used to be two decent sized badges of the football and rugby clubs on the concourse wall by the rear entrance to the sports bar that would be more than fit for purpose

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Robin, the Gate, and Bristol City big and bold.

Well done Harry Wynn, this would have made a great shirt badge at the time and an updated version would be better than the crest too.

Well remember this badge prominently on the front cover of the programme with Geoff Merrick.

Perhaps the 'new' gate could be more imposing if it wasn't a traditional 5-bar?

Archived