IGNORED

Bristol Citys Social Media (Merged)

ChippenhamRed

I've been having a break from OTIB but reading occasionally. I have returned today, like Gandalf the White, to give my 2p on this topic.

As those that know my posts can probably guess, I think that the handling of our social media account is absolutely embarrassing. I, like many others it seems, have actually unfollowed the account. I am flabbergasted that they repeatedly get the tone so wrong. They probably think that people on OTIB complaining about it are all over 55's who don't 'get' twitter. That's not the case.

They're trying far too hard - the occasional 'funny' tweet is ok, but it's become a farce. It's no wonder the engagement is nowhere near what it was and the 'strategy' needs to stop.

I do wonder whether the tie-in with Dunder has something to do with it. I remember reading that Dunder were interested in us given our social media success last year, perhaps we want to keep them sweet by promising a certain amount of engagement on our tweets and the fools in our social media team think that this is the way to do it.

It's worrying how out of touch our social media team are, and the 'strategy' is definitely coming from above - that's even more worrying.

8 hours ago, KINGERS said:

I don't usually post my content on the forum as I have never been one to push my videos on people. However I feel the video I have created below is one worth sharing with yourselves.

There is major frustration surrounding the social media team and the content that has been produced by them over the past few months, I have tried to be open and honest and give positives where they are due as well as criticisms. 

The first half of the video runs through content currently being produced by the club and my thoughts on this. With the second half which starts at around 9:20 running through ideas that I feel would bring more value to us as fans. I'm really interested to know your thoughts and opinions and how you would change things in the media department.

Thanks KINGERS 

https://youtu.be/Ncui0KeoSQY

Nailed it Kingers. I assume you have also seen the “Media team nail it again” thread a bit further down - many comments saying much the same. The twitter especially is an absolute shambles.

1 minute ago, June Bailey said:

Dear Media Team (coz I know you look at this!)

You know this forum is full of cynical, grumpy, judgemental, wannabe managers that want Adam back. All you want to do is spread happy dust and positivity, and we understand that. Just think about your timing!

Less of the “we”!

This forum is open to all and might not represent a complete cross section of the fan base, but it’s a very reasonable sample. The feedback has been pretty much unanimously negative and the club should be taking that on board. It’s much more than just a timing issue; it’s about how our club is presented to the wider world.

I think the other thing that is very annoying is the arrogance of it.

It’s abundantly clear fans don’t like the new ‘voice’ of the social media account, yet they persist with it. The tone of their tweets implies it’s one big joke we’re all in on.

The other issue is that arguably the Twitter account is the biggest presence of the club online. It’s superseded the OS for me and Twitter is the first place I go for team news, transfer news etc. You can’t escape it really yet they arrogantly persist with this dreadful style of tweet.

32 minutes ago, June Bailey said:

Dear Media Team (coz I know you look at this!)

You know this forum is full of cynical, grumpy, judgemental, wannabe managers that want Adam back. All you want to do is spread happy dust and positivity, and we understand that. Just think about your timing!

I’m sorry that’s absolute bollocks - have you looked at the replies to the tweets? You’re going to tell me next that they must all be otib users?

Our social media accounts - twitter especially - has gone to the absolute dogs.  Loosing followers is not the way to achieve good impression counts.   It feels like whoever is using it or being told to use it in that way clearly thinks the average twitter is 12 and still into unicorns. 

8 hours ago, KINGERS said:

I don't usually post my content on the forum as I have never been one to push my videos on people. However I feel the video I have created below is one worth sharing with yourselves.

There is major frustration surrounding the social media team and the content that has been produced by them over the past few months, I have tried to be open and honest and give positives where they are due as well as criticisms. 

The first half of the video runs through content currently being produced by the club and my thoughts on this. With the second half which starts at around 9:20 running through ideas that I feel would bring more value to us as fans. I'm really interested to know your thoughts and opinions and how you would change things in the media department.

Thanks KINGERS 

Summed up brilliantly. You’re not beanheads son are you. :thumbsup:

#Vote for Kingers 

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the other thing that is very annoying is the arrogance of it.

It’s abundantly clear fans don’t like the new ‘voice’ of the social media account, yet they persist with it. The tone of their tweets implies it’s one big joke we’re all in on.

The other issue is that arguably the Twitter account is the biggest presence of the club online. It’s superseded the OS for me and Twitter is the first place I go for team news, transfer news etc. You can’t escape it really yet they arrogantly persist with this dreadful style of tweet.

The clubs social media has gone to the dogs. It’s mostly embarrassing and is clouding my judgement, in some small way, as to how the club is being run overall. The tone it sets is pretty poor.   And it’s not just the club but sometimes the players as well. Brownhills latest Instagram post is of his celebration on Saturday with a shush emoji imitating his celebration. Few comments on there asking why he’s posted that after a defeat! 

9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Summed up brilliantly. You’re not beanheads son are you. :thumbsup:

#Vote for Kingers 

Thanks mate much appreciated, nah not his son ? but I wish he was still at the club they could really do with his experience at the moment.

Right, I’ve set up an account.

The account will only retweet the decent content from the official twitter, such as Korey Smiths contract extension, goals, interviews etc.

It will recorrect incorrect titles, oh and it’ll put the starting line up in formation order.

Username: BCFCAdults 

I haven't unfollowed just yet but I'm considering it. I used to have notifications turned on so that I'd get an alert for every tweet. This was incredibly useful as the tweets would generally be match updates, new signings, lineups, ticket details. 

I'd hate to think how many pointless alerts I'd get if I still had those notifications on. 

3 minutes ago, KINGERS said:

Thanks mate much appreciated, nah not his son ? but I wish he was still at the club they could really do with his experience at the moment.

Thing is, I don't think it's particularly difficult to get right. Just cut out the silliness, make it a bit more informative and interesting. That's all most people want.Your video was great by the way, if they just did all the things you said - we'd be fine.

For the club - be creative, yes of course. Last season's gifs were brilliant creativity. I have a nagging feeling though that this has gone to people's heads. The gifs got more and more OTT and silly and you can see how it's developed into the current nonsense.

They probably mistakenly think that engagement figures alone is all that matters. They probably think that 25 people replying to a tweet saying 'delete this, it's embarrassing' is good because it's all engagement.

I wonder who's actually running it?

9 hours ago, KINGERS said:

Thanks KINGERS 

I urge everyone to watch this video, it’s quite lengthy but I’ve rarely seen anything that has been done better by a fan, certainly out ranks anything the club have put out lately.

Perfectly sums up the majority view and the concerns at the moment with the social media at the club. @Matt Parsons BCFCSLOare you aware?

@KINGERS, the club should be calling you in and shaking your hand, you’ve done all the work for them.

6 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

How does Twitter work with relation to alerts and retweets? Does the club get any money? 

Not directly, but a club with say 6m reach with their tweets per week is far more interesting for potential sponsors than one that reaches 100k per week.

Has an indirect impact on finances that way.

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

I urge everyone to watch this video, it’s quite lengthy but I’ve rarely seen anything that has been done better by a fan, certainly out ranks anything the club have put out lately.

Perfectly sums up the majority view and the concerns at the moment with the social media at the club. @Matt Parsons BCFCSLOare you aware?

@KINGERS, the club should be calling you in and shaking your hand, you’ve done all the work for them.

Thanks mate much appreciated, I would love for the club to take a look at the video but I fear that none of the suggestions that us as fans really want, which to be fair are quite straightforward and simple to implement will be done by them!

37 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I’m sorry that’s absolute bollocks - have you looked at the replies to the tweets? You’re going to tell me next that they must all be otib users?

Our social media accounts - twitter especially - has gone to the absolute dogs.  Loosing followers is not the way to achieve good impression counts.   It feels like whoever is using it or being told to use it in that way clearly thinks the average twitter is 12 and still into unicorns. 

Tbh, there has been a bit of a cleanse of BOTs on Twitter, so accounts with large followings will inevitably see a drop off- still losing fans of the club is a bad sign, but BOTs should form part of the drop off too.

Call me a dinosaur but I don't do Fbook, Twitter, Instgram.

All I want since the demise of newspaper's and proper sport reporting, is factual information, easily found and understood about all things BCFC.

There is a place for humour in life and in real life, I find it a tremendous asset to keep one's head above the sludge level.

But to be using thoughtless humour out of place is not helping. Imagine if anyone at Leicester City had attempted a frivolous post last week. A miserable performance and defeat at Reading is nowhere near as important but it still hurts many of us for a time. So wake up Bristol Sport and use an ounce of common sense in the drivel that you are posting.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

3 minutes ago, KINGERS said:

Thanks mate much appreciated, I would love for the club to take a look at the video but I fear that none of the suggestions that us as fans really want, which to be fair are quite straightforward and simple to implement will be done by them!

I wouldn’t doubt yourself. The club after all is owned by a shrewd businessman and if he thinks he is losing money or face he won’t like that for long. It takes an intelligent  person to admit they were wrong and a stubborn fool to keep going with a lame idea. Let’s see....

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

Excellent as always. Good to see Lansdown jnr get a mention too! I've watched some of your match reviews as well @KINGERS , surely a career in journalism beckons?

Archived