IGNORED

Anyone remember when Millwall took over the tote end at Eastville

barneyrubble

5 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

I think that is the walkway the Millwall fans call “Cowards Way”?

The graffiti was from the early 80s I assume when a certain bunch of City (remain nameless) sprayed up the entire ground the night before. I was at the game the following day as a young 18 year old in the early 80s on CATS. It all went off during the match when coach loads of “City’s finest” turned up 30 minutes into the 1st half (coach drivers got lost). The ground started to empty as Millwall fans tried to pour out to see what was happening. In those days, Bristol City had a big rep and feared noone. 

Was in the Masonic on North Street with a few old faces at the Stoke game and this game got discussed with a City legend who was there - good days..

Lots of bad blood in those days. Infact it was bloody dangerous at some grounds, but hell I miss it compared to the library style grounds you get nowadays.

Was also there that day

8 hours ago, Barney red said:

Remember going to this game as a youngster . Think my dad took me to see what the Millwall fans were really like.

Was watching the game from the side of the pitch when a chant of Millwall rose from the tote end . Their fans had got into the tote end and they literally chased the rovers fans out of their own end and then stood in the middle chanting. There were not very many of them either. Think their leader was  called something like mad dog Harry. 

By far the most crazy fans I have ever seen.

Anyone else have any mad Millwall stories.

6 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

I thought we won that game 2-0  

“We”??? It was gas v Millwall....

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Panorama I think.

Mr H. Dog of Bermo or one of his colleagues did as I recall refer to Rovers as "Norvern Bastards" or something along those lines.....

Harry was late, or "late," as I recall, from that programme. No doubt having gone up the M1 first. Thick ****. And missed all the excitement. Wonder which direction he went after the game?

One game that stands out for me was at AG in the mid 1980s. Millwall fans lit a bonfire on the open end and City fans threw seats, snooker balls and goodness knows what else down at them from that side of the Dolman.  It was like a war zone. I was only about 12 and it was the first major violence I remember seeing at a football match. 

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

So did I. The Goat got a couple I think.

IIRC, it was a protest about Jimmy Nicholl, their manager at the time. It was supposed to be a peaceful protest but predictably descended into chaos.

I had a lovely new black leather jacket which was torn to shreds by the invading mob chucking sharpened coins at the away end.

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Adam Locke? You're probably right Slarti! 

EDIT: Just looked it up, Torpey and Locke. I could have sworn Goater got one.

29 October 1997 Millwall A 2–0 7,026 Torpey, Locke

Two separate games. The Torpey Locke game was an evening Kick off. The Goater game was the following year I think.

We were seriously well backed for both games. I sat with the Millwall for the Goater game, they were constantly going after Bobby Bowery in their back four so just did the same and blended right in :laugh:!

As a senior poster I have many stories about Millwall away going back to when Gibbo was in goal. 

The one that still makes me laugh was when I was about 10 and this dirty great docker was telling my old man we were going to get a kicking and lose.

We won 2-0 Clive Whiteheads first game and he scored and Bobby Gould got the other.

I always laugh at the Ateveld worldy own goal game at the old den. We had the Temptations playing up front (Rosenior Cole and Allison) We won 3-2...Happy days!!

I was in the crowd when we had Maynard up front, it was on Telly so about 50 of us at best. They were going after Maynard something fierce...He got two. We won 2-1....And many  more

Never once got a slap from the noisy numpties...

8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not as I remember it Buster, unless we won another game at Millwall around that time 2-0. A mate took his kids and they only came to weekend games. 

EDIT AGAIN: You're right Buster, it was a Wednesday, I must be on about a different visit to Bermondsey.  Just checked, I'm on about Feb 1997, we won 2-0 again.

I was there for the midweek 2-0 invited by the match ball sponsor who were supplying us print services at the time.  Got a pic somewhere of the captains and ref before ko with me and them.  

What I always remember is the most bizarre club sponsor of all time 'The Weather In Norwegian'  

11 hours ago, Barney red said:

Remember going to this game as a youngster . Think my dad took me to see what the Millwall fans were really like.

Was watching the game from the side of the pitch when a chant of Millwall rose from the tote end . Their fans had got into the tote end and they literally chased the rovers fans out of their own end and then stood in the middle chanting. There were not very many of them either. Think their leader was  called something like mad dog Harry. 

I think you might be getting your games confused, I cant ever really remember Milwall 'taking' the Tote, I was at the 'Panorama game' and they certainly didn't then. Maybe you are thinking of a game against Chelsea, when 100s of Chelsea got on there and police horses divided the two sets of fans, I ended up in the Chelsea bit!

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'll have you know it was top quality, Sunday fruit markets finest! ;)

Actually, it WAS cheap rubbish (£40 iirc) but looked decent and lasted well for the 6 days I owned it. :facepalm:

Disappointing to hear. From you sir I would have expected nothing less than a quality crombie, perhaps a tonic suit or at the least a Harrington. Rude Boys! 

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Disappointing to hear. From you sir I would have expected nothing less than a quality crombie, perhaps a tonic suit or at the least a Harrington. Rude Boys! 

All in the wardrobe CR, all in the wardrobe. My crombie is actually a 50's original, heavy as hell! Charcoal grey as expected.

My daughter actually bought a pukka Harrington last summer, I was suitably proud! :)

13 hours ago, Barney red said:

Wasn't there for that, but I was there with my dad when Chelsea did the same.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wasn't there for that, but I was there with my dad when Chelsea did the same.

We were in the open end with the Chelsea lot. Decent bunch, knew we were Local but fine when they found out we were City. I think this was the game where some gAss got thrown off the subway by the tote. Went off all down Stapleton rd, don’t think we spoke from the time we left the ground until we got home ??

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

We were in the open end with the Chelsea lot. Decent bunch, knew we were Local but fine when they found out we were City. I think this was the game where some gAss got thrown off the subway by the tote. Went off all down Stapleton rd, don’t think we spoke from the time we left the ground until we got home ??

We were in the open end for Chelsea on a night game when they got in the Tote End early and Rovers couldn't move them. We used to go on the open end to support the away team all the time then. Sheff Utd, Tottenham, West Ham, Forest, Southampton, Wolves, Chelsea were all in the second division and brought loads down. They loved it that we were City!!

13 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Anyone on here know who wrote ‘Bristol City’ next to the ‘WHU TURN BACK’?

A96F9709-0D07-433E-AB9B-79C3789A5B2E.jpeg

… if I'm not very much mistaken I believe that is a early 'pre Dismal' piece'  by Banksy, that bridge will be coming up for auction soon with a guide price of a Gazillion Pounds.  (If it's not snapped up first by that Bargain Hunt mob off the telly)  

6 hours ago, Offside said:

One game that stands out for me was at AG in the mid 1980s. Millwall fans lit a bonfire on the open end and City fans threw seats, snooker balls and goodness knows what else down at them from that side of the Dolman.  It was like a war zone. I was only about 12 and it was the first major violence I remember seeing at a football match. 

2 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

We were in the open end for Chelsea on a night game when they got in the Tote End early and Rovers couldn't move them. We used to go on the open end to support the away team all the time then. Sheff Utd, Tottenham, West Ham, Forest, Southampton, Wolves, Chelsea were all in the second division and brought loads down. They loved it that we were City!!

Was there. Normal Chelsea swamping places although that early lot in Tote were not Londoners.

9 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

Yeah, we went to a few of those too, for the same reason. Due to my mother bring infirm, we rarely went to away games. It was the reserves, Bath City or occasional Rovers games, if they had decent opposition.

The Chelsea game I mentioned was definitely a day match. There was no fighting, Chelsea ran at the Tote, they ran out the gates and the stewards shut the gates behind them. :)

Once the police arrived, they were let back in and later the Chelsea mob were led around the pitch and put in the away end.

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yeah, we went to a few of those too, for the same reason. Due to my mother bring infirm, we rarely went to away games. It was the reserves, Bath City or occasional Rovers games, if they had decent opposition.

The Chelsea game I mentioned was definitely a day match. There was no fighting, Chelsea ran at the Tote, they ran out the gates and the stewards shut the gates behind them. :)

Once the police arrived, they were let back in and later the Chelsea mob were led around the pitch and put in the away end.

Can remember going down Eastville for a game when Rovers played West Ham. Must have been about 84 and there were about fifty city fans. Some good lads back in the day, sadly some are no longer with us. 

Iirc they had j cloths or something on their heads.....twas a bbc doco as already said...before the time of organised trouble.....a few pints, 40 fags and a punch up was all they wanted from the day out in sleepy Bristol...bless......when was it they followed our coaches away from the old den and ambushed them at some lights somewhere in deepest darkest Landan?

Archived