IGNORED

Anyone remember when Millwall took over the tote end at Eastville

barneyrubble

11 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

We were in the open end for Chelsea on a night game when they got in the Tote End early and Rovers couldn't move them. We used to go on the open end to support the away team all the time then. Sheff Utd, Tottenham, West Ham, Forest, Southampton, Wolves, Chelsea were all in the second division and brought loads down. They loved it that we were City!!

Ha, we used to do the same thing, funny enough nearly came unstuck Vs Forest. Can't remember all the games but the Wolves 5-1 stands out :laughcont:

24 minutes ago, swanker said:

Can remember going down Eastville for a game when Rovers played West Ham. Must have been about 84 and there were about fifty city fans. Some good lads back in the day, sadly some are no longer with us. 

Was in the enclosure, 2 of us city, one WHU and a gAsshead. The city lads taking the piss out of West Ham lads in the enclosure before the gAss lot came in the back. 

16 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Remember The Gas (just plain old Rovers back then) bringing down the giant flag pole in the open end.

A rumour was doing the rounds in the E.E. that it had killed one of their own.

Year anyone?

I remember seeing that from the EE!  After they had snapped it off, could see it it being carried/swung over the crowds head and a coppers helmet flying up into the air.

1974 ish

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:
9 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

I remember seeing that from the EE!  After they had snapped it off, could see it it being carried/swung over the crowds head and a coppers helmet flying up into the air.

1974 ish

In my mind, it's more late 70s but I could well be wrong

I think it was this one 1 April 1975 Second DivisionCity 1–1 Rovers 28,953

• Admin

The writing of Bristol city on the bridge was indeed carried out on a Friday night, but some weeks before we played there, a number of City fans had attended an aba boxing evening at Wembley arena.

The paint in question was bright yellow and acquired from a millwall fan who lived in forest hill.

The drivers getting lost is untrue, City fans had left the pub and were at Wandsworth nick, which is why they got to the game late.

That is when the problems started, good old British steel saved the day, if those gates would of gone down many would not be here to tell the true story today. 

1 hour ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Iirc they had j cloths or something on their heads.....twas a bbc doco as already said...before the time of organised trouble.....a few pints, 40 fags and a punch up was all they wanted from the day out in sleepy Bristol...bless......when was it they followed our coaches away from the old den and ambushed them at some lights somewhere in deepest darkest Landan?

They were "Treatment"  hence they were wearing surgical masks.

1 hour ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Iirc they had j cloths or something on their heads.....twas a bbc doco as already said...before the time of organised trouble.....a few pints, 40 fags and a punch up was all they wanted from the day out in sleepy Bristol...bless......when was it they followed our coaches away from the old den and ambushed them at some lights somewhere in deepest darkest Landan?

Surgical masks wasn't it ?

I thought the ambush was pre game but I wasn't there - mid 80's

21 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Panorama I think.

Mr H. Dog of Bermo or one of his colleagues did as I recall refer to Rovers as "Norvern Bastards" or something along those lines.....

Wasn’t it ‘Bobby the Wolf’ who got his geography massively wrong by referring to the Gas as “Northern Ponces” or am I confusing my men/animals?

I haven’t seen that video on YouTube for years.

Was Red Robbo’s mate Dave the Ocelot involved?

21 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

I remember a battle after the Gloucester Cup Final at Ashton Gate, early 70’s, being first item on national radio news the following morning!

74, they got promotion that season, BD and his boys were in their prime, probably the best they ever did against our lot off the pitch, all downhill since then

10 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

October 1984 I think after a 1-1 draw (I think Andy Llewellyn of all people scored ours). They ambushed us in Earls Court and it was all allegedly set up via CB Radio!

Bloody cold trip back down the M4 with no windows in the coach.

On 09/11/2018 at 10:28, GasDestroyer said:

I think that is the walkway the Millwall fans call “Cowards Way”?

The graffiti was from the early 80s I assume when a certain bunch of City (remain nameless) sprayed up the entire ground the night before. I was at the game the following day as a young 18 year old in the early 80s on CATS. It all went off during the match when coach loads of “City’s finest” turned up 30 minutes into the 1st half (coach drivers got lost). The ground started to empty as Millwall fans tried to pour out to see what was happening. In those days, Bristol City had a big rep and feared noone. 

Was in the Masonic on North Street with a few old faces at the Stoke game and this game got discussed with a City legend who was there - good days..

Lots of bad blood in those days. Infact it was bloody dangerous at some grounds, but hell I miss it compared to the library style grounds you get nowadays.

I was there that day also, me and my mate thought it would be a laugh (both 18) - Well, it was like the whole of South London’s finest had come out that day to have a pop at Bristol’s finest. When Knowle West’s contingent turned up 15 mins into the game and decided to take on all comers outside the ground then let’s just say it was chaos and I thought my short life was about to end as Millwall started climbing over the fences trying to get at us away fans - made up of mainly women, pensioners and a few spotty impressionable teenagers

I look back and smile now and thank my lucky stars that although most of the coaches were lacking any glazing on the way home, we only left with a lasting memory of the Old Den.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

I was there that day also, me and my mate thought it would be a laugh (both 18) - Well, it was like the whole of South London’s finest had come out that day to have a pop at Bristol’s finest. When Knowle West’s contingent turned up 15 mins into the game and decided to take on all comers outside the ground then let’s just say it was chaos and I thought my short life was about to end as Millwall started climbing over the fences trying to get at us away fans - made up of mainly women, pensioners and a few spotty impressionable teenagers

I look back and smile now and thank my lucky stars that although most of the coaches were lacking any glazing on the way home, we only left with a lasting memory of the Old Den.

Yeh, good memories for those that went to away games like Millwall away at the Old Den.

For me the Old Den was the most formidable ground to visit as an away fan. Infact nothing else came near it. Every time I went there, we were fronted up. Every time, it was hostile, every time you were glad to get to the A4/M4.

But that buzz, was what away days was all about. Miss it to be honest.

Archived