IGNORED

Anyone remember when Millwall took over the tote end at Eastville

barneyrubble

Remember going to this game as a youngster . Think my dad took me to see what the Millwall fans were really like.

Was watching the game from the side of the pitch when a chant of Millwall rose from the tote end . Their fans had got into the tote end and they literally chased the rovers fans out of their own end and then stood in the middle chanting. There were not very many of them either. Think their leader was  called something like mad dog Harry. 

By far the most crazy fans I have ever seen.

Anyone else have any mad Millwall stories.

Harry the Dog; became a homeless alcoholic and died in a shop doorway.

I was at a late 90s game at the New Den, City lost, there was unrest at the club and a demo planned to protest against their then Chairman Peter Mead, of the gun manufacturers.

Millwall invaded the pitch at the end and came up to our end but we were on the upper tier only (trouble had been anticipated) so it was restricted to their throwing things and City throwing things including some ripped up plastic chairs.

The police cleared them out but they turn held their planned protest demo just outside so we were kept back for ages.

We were finally allowed out with the police clearing and closing off all streets before letting us walk down them.  They took us to the train station and that was that.

Not the most exciting story but still a two hour delay in getting home because they're a bunch of *****.

It's certainly not as big as that but the edge seems to have worn off a bit now?

Anyway main memory I recall was Millwall fans in 2001 , throwing a load of seats- I'm fairly sure it was reciprocated but also didn't Millwall try to refuse to pay for damage?

Truly a unique club for better or worse in English League because not only are the safest away friendly pubs all the way out at London Bridge but they actually have a walkway especially designed for away fans from South Bermondsey station!!

Believe it was put into place after a full scale riot in 2002 (and I mean including outside, not just stadium) when they lost in playoffs v Birmingham.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's certainly not as big as that but the edge seems to have worn off a bit now?

Anyway main memory I recall was Millwall fans in 2001 , throwing a load of seats- I'm fairly sure it was reciprocated but also didn't Millwall try to refuse to pay for damage?

Truly a unique club for better or worse in English League because not only are the safest away friendly pubs all the way out at London Bridge but they actually have a walkway especially designed for away fans from South Bermondsey station!!

Believe it was put into place after a full scale riot in 2002 (and I mean including outside, not just stadium) when they lost in playoffs v Birmingham.

That would have save me two hours if they'd have put it in a few years ealrier!

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Remember going to this game as a youngster . Think my dad took me to see what the Millwall fans were really like.

Was watching the game from the side of the pitch when a chant of Millwall rose from the tote end . Their fans had got into the tote end and they literally chased the rovers fans out of their own end and then stood in the middle chanting. There were not very many of them either. Think their leader was  called something like mad dog Harry. 

I thought we won that game 2-0  

14 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That would have save me two hours if they'd have put it in a few years ealrier!

I've even read in recent times of Millwall fans- home fans- being held back to allow away fans out safely- now it's their own fault in a sense after the aforementioned unique history, but certainly a break from convention! Usually away fans are held back if there are potential security issues, aren't they?

7 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

I thought we won that game 2-0  

So did I. The Goat got a couple I think.

IIRC, it was a protest about Jimmy Nicholl, their manager at the time. It was supposed to be a peaceful protest but predictably descended into chaos.

I had a lovely new black leather jacket which was torn to shreds by the invading mob chucking sharpened coins at the away end.

7 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Now I seem to remember that the match you are talking about was a midweek game as it was rearranged after the death of Diana.

Not as I remember it Buster, unless we won another game at Millwall around that time 2-0. A mate took his kids and they only came to weekend games. 

EDIT AGAIN: You're right Buster, it was a Wednesday, I must be on about a different visit to Bermondsey.  Just checked, I'm on about Feb 1997, we won 2-0 again.

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not as I remember it Buster, unless we won another game at Millwall around that time 2-0. A mate took his kids and they only came to weekend games. 

This is the one I am thinking of and goals were definitely Goater and Locke. Just checked and we won 2-0 the eason before too on Saturday Feb 1st so that must be the protest game.

image.thumb.png.2c0ca0632096854070b41fbf8c79a9e2.png

6 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

This is the one I am thinking of and goals were definitely Goater and Locke. Just checked and we won 2-0 the eason before too on Saturday Feb 1st so that must be the protest game.

image.thumb.png.2c0ca0632096854070b41fbf8c79a9e2.png

Definitely the Feb 97 game where they invaded the pitch and it was lively under the stand too. 

I was there

56 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Anyone on here know who wrote ‘Bristol City’ next to the ‘WHU TURN BACK’?

A96F9709-0D07-433E-AB9B-79C3789A5B2E.jpeg

I think that is the walkway the Millwall fans call “Cowards Way”?

The graffiti was from the early 80s I assume when a certain bunch of City (remain nameless) sprayed up the entire ground the night before. I was at the game the following day as a young 18 year old in the early 80s on CATS. It all went off during the match when coach loads of “City’s finest” turned up 30 minutes into the 1st half (coach drivers got lost). The ground started to empty as Millwall fans tried to pour out to see what was happening. In those days, Bristol City had a big rep and feared noone. 

Was in the Masonic on North Street with a few old faces at the Stoke game and this game got discussed with a City legend who was there - good days..

Lots of bad blood in those days. Infact it was bloody dangerous at some grounds, but hell I miss it compared to the library style grounds you get nowadays.

3 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

I think that is the walkway the Millwall fans call “Cowards Way”?

The graffiti was from the early 80s I assume when a certain bunch of City (remain nameless) sprayed up the entire ground the night before. I was at the game the following day as a young 18 year old in the early 80s on CATS. It all went off during the match when coach loads of “City’s finest” turned up 30 minutes into the 1st half (coach drivers got lost). The ground started to empty as Millwall fans tried to pour out to see what was happening. In those days, Bristol City had a big rep and feared noone. 

Was in the Masonic on North Street with a few old faces at the Stoke game and this game got discussed with a City legend who was there - good days..

Lots of bad blood in those days. Infact it was bloody dangerous at some grounds, but hell I miss it compared to the library style grounds you get nowadays.

Definitely not cowards way GD and that's not city either.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Anyone on here know who wrote ‘Bristol City’ next to the ‘WHU TURN BACK’?

A96F9709-0D07-433E-AB9B-79C3789A5B2E.jpeg

Old Den or New Den?

If it's the former then it is definitely not said walkway- was only installed in 2002 in any case and I've got a feeling that's before 2002- so highly unlikely to be the walkway.

3 hours ago, Barney red said:

What year was this mate ? Millwall very publicly got spanked at Eastville around 1978.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

EDIT AGAIN: You're right Buster, it was a Wednesday, I must be on about a different visit to Bermondsey.  Just checked, I'm on about Feb 1997, we won 2-0 again.

One of those matches I remember City trying to kick doors in to the home stand  on the left.

I also remember saying to my mate at the final whistle (quoting Basil Fawlty)...." Piece of cake, NOW comes the difficult part !":shocking:

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

So did I. The Goat got a couple I think.

IIRC, it was a protest about Jimmy Nicholl, their manager at the time. It was supposed to be a peaceful protest but predictably descended into chaos.

I had a lovely new black leather jacket which was torn to shreds by the invading mob chucking sharpened coins at the away end.

Thats coz it was PVC from C&A in Broadmead! ?

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

There is a video on you tube . Following millwall to eastvile . There coach broke down and they got a hiding on the tote end 

Panorama I think.

Mr H. Dog of Bermo or one of his colleagues did as I recall refer to Rovers as "Norvern Bastards" or something along those lines.....

Archived