IGNORED

Things could be about to get interesting with Sky TV (Merged)

phantom

• Admin

FIFTEEN Championship clubs are threatening a breakaway from the Football League over their objections to a planned new TV deal with Sky.

The sides, which include Derby, Aston Villa and Leeds United, are unhappy about the details of a new deal, believing they should be getting more.

They also have concerns about their matches appearing on red button and the internet.

The five-year deal, due to take effect next season and up from £90 million a year to £119 million, was negotiated last season. It was due to be rubber-stamped at the end of last month, and has the backing of League One and League Two clubs.

When the Championship clubs refused to sign up, however, the League called a special meeting for the full 24. After that, last Tuesday, the 15 biggest clubs decided to threaten a breakaway if they did not get a better deal.

The League have now given the Championship clubs until 4pm a week today to reconsider their position.

Currently, Championship clubs receive £2.3 million each from Sky per season and a share of facility fees totalling £10.8 million depending on their number of TV appearances.

Under the new five-year deal, expected to be worth £119 million a season across the Football League’s 72 clubs, the Championship clubs would receive £2.95 million each and a share of the appearance fees pot of £17.7 million.

League One and League Two clubs would see their money go up from a basic £708,000 and £492,000 each respectively to £884,000 and £613,000.

Some Championship clubs are believed to think that they should be receiving at least DOUBLE what is on offer, though the League do not believe those sums are out there in a wider TV market.

Another sticking point appears to be a dispute over appearances on the red button and internet.

Many clubs believed that there would be just one match shown as an alternative on the platform on live midweek nights but plans to show several could affect gates, they believe.

“I am not completely sure what the agenda of these 15 clubs is but their bullying tactics beggars belief,” one Football League chairman said.

“They are certainly not interested in the wider good of the Football League clubs, only their own situations.

“I am told that the Premier League are not interested in linking up with them and I’m not sure how any new stand-alone league would work.

“What these clubs don’t seem to be taking into account is that 35 per cent of the Sky money is for the Carabao Cup and they won’t be eligible for that.

“What should have happened is that the League should have told these clubs to get lost, as the League One and Two clubs could vote this deal through anyway, but I think they preferred to keep everybody happy, talk it over, and this is the result.

“Hopefully, these clubs will see that their plan is not going to work and the deal will be concluded.”

Currently, the Sky deal has the right to show 148 live matches per season, plus live play-off matches and finals.

Under the new deal, Sky would be able to show 183 live matches per season, plus play-off matches and finals, and another 80 matches across digital and interactive platforms.

It’s all about money, will be the clubs who were top flight and think they deserve the right to be there. 

No one deserves the right to promotion must be won over a season but most clubs in championship have spent spent spent and now are in trouble.

Start Prem 2 and no punishments from EFL or threaten it to ward off the threat. These clubs can then carry on spending how much they want.

• Admin

Interesting times, something has to give surely, clubs can't keep operating in the same manner and running up huge debts, the unfairness of parachute payments on the Championship should be addressed, the cash should be distributed more fairly, the grass roots needs supporting more.  We have recently covered this in threads, could the 15 club split tie in with the European league that has been mentioned?  Can football get much further up it's own backside, no wonder some long term fans are drifting away and feeling all connection to the clubs they started supporting is lost.

Going back a bit now, but based on this I reckon we're one of the 15:

Derby chairman Mel Morris claimed he could bring in £300million a year for Football League TV rights compared to the £90m-a-year Sky deal he complains is not nearly good enough.

The highly optimistic Morris told a meeting of FL clubs at Pride Park that televising and streaming far more FL matches than the Sky contract allows would narrow the gap to the Premier League.

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown led the support for Morris, describing the Sky agreement as a ‘bag of nails’ and calls for the Derby chief to lead the FL’s negotiation process for the next TV contract were not opposed, although few owners were present.

The FL say they are recruiting an independent broadcast rights adviser but are happy for Morris to play a part in future TV rights talks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4092754/UEFA-hit-expanded-World-Cup-handed-smaller-percentage-places-2026.html

35 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Isn't Mark Ashton on the FL management committee?

Puts him in a tricky place if we are one of the 15.

Which is one of the reasons that I was vociferously against his appointment while being an active member of the club. Yet if we were one of the 9 who didn't object is it necessarily the case that MA is being impartial on this issue?

20 hours ago, 22A said:

FIFTEEN Championship clubs are threatening a breakaway from the Football League over their objections to a planned new TV deal with Sky.

Prem 2 forming by default?

Or Europa Super league 4/5/6/7?

19 hours ago, italian dave said:

Is there a competition on here to turn every single thread, however, tenuous, into an dig at LJ?

It's been running for the last 3 years.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:15, 22A said:

Prem 2 forming by default?

Will end up merging with whoever gets left over from the Prem once the European Super League comes into effect.

And once again, I fully expect us to be left behind the times, languishing in mediocre league obscurity. 

11 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

This could get interesting, the Championship clubs are, according to the BBC, going to meet tomorrow to discuss their next move.

Assuming that MA is our representative at that meeting it may become awkward - given that again, according to the BBC, the EFL decision was unanimous.

It goes on to say that, according to sources, 21 out of 24 Championship clubs wanted more discussion - it seems the three `missing` ones were us, Brentford & Reading since our representative (MA) is on the board along with the ones from the other two and it voted unanimously to accept the deal.

Or have I totally misunderstood the whole thing?

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It goes on to say that, according to sources, 21 out of 24 Championship clubs wanted more discussion - it seems the three `missing` ones were us, Brentford & Reading since our representative (MA) is on the board along with the ones from the other two and it voted unanimously to accept the deal.

Or have I totally misunderstood the whole thing?

That is my understanding too. 

Interesting at a previous meeting some time back and not about this deal I believe our owner supported the Derby owners view that the Championship were not getting enough TV money.......

There is something at play here.

Archived