Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Yozzarian

Club Crest to change? Fans Survey (Merged)

So I have just received the following via email, thoughts?

'We are looking to update our club crest in order to support the next chapter of our proud history. 

Our current crest has served us well, but with renewed ambition and desire to be progressive and forward thinking both on and off the pitch, we feel it is time to create a strong, new identity of our own. 

Something that is uniquely Bristol City, that we can truly own and all get behind. An identity that will stand us apart from the rest. 

To help this process, we would value the thoughts and opinions of our fanbase and would therefore encourage you to complete the following survey.'

We are looking to update our club crest in order to support the next chapter of our proud history. 

Our current crest has served us well, but with renewed ambition and desire to be progressive and forward thinking both on and off the pitch, we feel it is time to create a strong, new identity of our own. 

Something that is uniquely Bristol City, that we can truly own and all get behind. An identity that will stand us apart from the rest. 

To help this process, we would value the thoughts and opinions of our fanbase and would therefore encourage you to complete the following survey.

This survey will close at 5pm, Friday, November 23rd.
This survey is limited to one answer per email address, if you share an email address with somebody else you will only be able to submit one reply.

To opt-out of future communications from Bristol City please email marketing@bristol-sport.co.uk

Edited by DaveF

This survey will close at 5pm, Friday, November 23rd.
This survey is limited to one answer per email address, if you share an email address with somebody else you will only be able to submit one reply.

Completed.

My view...don't change something that isn't broken, it's like they are going out of their way to create a negative headline...which lets be frank...is going to happen.

• Like 1

Who saw this coming? Wow, just wow. Right up there with the biggest surprises of all time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I hope more consultation and a vote happens. It won't and we'll end up with that one Leeds were planning on using.

I do think the Bears rebrand was great though.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Please not this though !!

image.png

Notice how this appears at the end of the survey.

Got the feeling they are definitely aiming at something "bold" "dynamic" that "breaks from the norm" etc.. as I was working through the survey.

Full of marketing, branding and PR spiel. 

I pray we don't end up with some utter shite Bristol Bears logo.

WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY AND WHY.

Too many people getting paid me thinks so they try and justify their employment with utter nonsense. Like going to a shiny new badly designed website (with everything in the wrong places) because their developer needed to justify themselves being there.....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bh_red said:

Completed.

My view...don't change something that isn't broken, it's like they are going out of their way to create a negative headline...which lets be frank...is going to happen.

Ditto

Completed.  It is pretty easy to stress a strong preference for either of the two current badges, even though they do not specifically ask ' do you want the existing Robin or crest?'  I also added comments to the effect that I wished to see the existing Robin crest return.

This is not a surprise to any of us surely and I welcome the interaction on something so important; i would hope that in the end, we are presented with a shortlist of 2 or 3 options from which we can choose.

Edited by Yozzarian

7 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Notice how this appears at the end of the survey.

Got the feeling they are definitely aiming at something "bold" "dynamic" that "breaks from the norm" etc.. as I was working through the survey.

Full of marketing, branding and PR spiel. 

I pray we don't end up with some utter shite Bristol Bears logo.

Thow the bridge over this and a football and I don't hate it at all, although I would prefer the existing Robin.

Edited by Yozzarian

I would like to suggest to the people at marketing@bristol-sport.co.uk an additional question to round off their survey to fans received this afternoon.

Do you think Bristol City need a load of marketing nonsense in order to have their own distinct identity?

A) No.

B) **** no.

C) About as much as I need testicular cancer

I feel this would give an accurate reflection of fan opinions on the topic.

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

Appreciate them doing this consultation. People are very quick to moan about changing things but then there's a big group also moaning that the current badge is terrible and "Bring back the Robin". Whatever the club do it seems they can't win.

In my opinion, them looking at badge like PSG and Brentford is a good sign. Those are clean and modern and if we end up with something like it, we should have something recognisable and worth changing for.

Just don't bring back the old Robin badge, it's far too outdated.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TBW said:

Appreciate them doing this consultation. People are very quick to moan about changing things but then there's a big group also moaning that the current badge is terrible and "Bring back the Robin". Whatever the club do it seems they can't win.

In my opinion, them looking at badge like PSG and Brentford is a good sign. Those are clean and modern and if we end up with something like it, we should have something recognisable and worth changing for.

Just don't bring back the old Robin badge, it's far too outdated.

I like all this apart from the last sentance 🙂

To be honest though I'd happily have a new Robin badge that screamed a strong identity.  Anything but that anonymous crest.

• Like 3

About 15 questions to effectively ask "Do you want the robin back and if so do you want it modernised or to remain classic?"!

I still don't know why they ask if we associate Bristol City with 1897..  NO!! We were formed in 1894 and the only reason we celebrated the centenary in 1997 is  because the board at the time forgot to do it 3 years earlier!!!!!

(I did deliberately tick "Other" to the last question to allow me to make this point!!!!

• Like 5

Which logo, flicking Starbucks and Alpha Romeo ( hate those cars with their stupid off centred number plates) this survey has made me want to smash my iPad so I have aborted it for now. What are we putting people?

2 minutes ago, TBW said:

People are very quick to moan about changing things but then there's a big group also moaning that the current badge is terrible and "Bring back the Robin". Whatever the club do it seems they can't win.

To be fair though @TBW people have been trying to "Bring back the Robin" for years

The lad that had been meeting with various club officials about it passed away over two years ago

Very closed questions with little option to actually write “don’t change it, we like it as it is”

I did write in the last box “don’t go changing our name a la Bristol Rugby!”

• Like 3

It’s a ploy to take our minds off and the heat off LJ, pure and simple. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

No 1894 option...no "Suspension Bridge" option...very much driving people towards pre-selected options.

Agreed, where's the 1894 option? Bristol South End and Bedminster form an important part of our history and shouldn't be overlooked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Which logo, flicking Starbucks and Alpha Romeo this survey has made me want to smash my iPad so I have aborted it

That question that asked me to select whether I liked the New York Yankees or Lacoste logo is among the most humiliating things I've ever done. And no Lonsdale either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

At the moment a pole with a white flag on it would be about right.

Would be quite appropriate given the mentality of some of our fans (reading this forum we’re apparently relegated already!!

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

Please not this though !!

image.png

IMO if done right that could be turned into a very smart, modern crest similar to the Brentford redesign a few years ago which IMO is by far the best example of a recent crest change. 

• Aubergine 1

17 minutes ago, bh_red said:

Completed.

Well personally I think it is broken. The current crest is dated and tired. It isn’t particularly distinct, and it doesn’t look great in digital form.

I would welcome a more modern crest along the lines of Brentford (which featured in the survey).

A crest change isn’t something we need to be up tight about. It’s something that tends to evolve for most clubs - look at Juve, United, Spurs, Man City - all have a long history of crest evolution and have made recent changes.

History and tradition are things to respect but that doesn’t mean we always have to play everything by the old tune. Some evolution is OK, and I think the crest is one of those things you can change. And in this case, I think it’s overdue.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Which logo, flicking Starbucks and Alpha Romeo ( hate those cars with their stupid off centred number plates) this survey has made me want to smash my iPad so I have aborted it for now. What are we putting people?

I chose PSG, Brentford and Spurs for the football logos.

I prefer a modern, simple, distinct style.

• Like 3

The current badge is not that unique and the old robin badge is old fashioned, so definitely time for a change.

i think it’s good the club is looking to seek fans ideas (imagine the fuss if they didn’t and just changed it) and hopefully they come up with something decent.  If they spend the money on a decent design company doing it then I’m sure they can get something that looks great

• Like 1

Hopefully they'll listen to the fans on this and actually take the time to read the comments section which was the only part where we're free to express how we feel. I do hope they haven't made the decision already and are actually willing to accept that nothing has to change if the majority don't support it.

My comment for what it's worth:

I like the current badge and imagine there will be great dissatisfaction if you decide to change it, especially to something radical like the Bristol Bears and a name change. You'll fuel the fire that Bristol Sport is a franchise and lost touch with its fans and as a result is embarrassing its fans.
  If you were to change it then maybe a vote to reinstate the robin on the suspension bridge badge or keep the current one would suffice.
  Bristol City would be better off concentrating on making sure we have a successful team on the pitch rather than upsetting the fans by doing anything overly controversial and disrespecting our long history and tradition.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Aubergine 1

1 minute ago, dazza247 said:

Hopefully they'll listen to the fans on this and actually take the time to read the comments section which was the only part where we're free to express how we feel. I do hope they haven't made the decision already and are actually willing to accept that nothing has to change if the majority don't support it.

My comment for what it's worth:

I like the current badge and imagine there will be great dissatisfaction if you decide to change it, especially to something radical like the Bristol Bears and a name change. You'll fuel the fire that Bristol Sport is a franchise and lost touch with its fans and as a result is embarrassing its fans.
  If you were to change it then maybe a vote to reinstate the robin on the suspension bridge badge or keep the current one would suffice.
  Bristol City would be better off concentrating on making sure we have a successful team on the pitch rather than upsetting the fans by doing anything overly controversial and disrespecting our long history and tradition.

I don’t think for one minute there’s going to be a name change. Rugby is an very different kettle of fish.