IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou and the fundamental lack of desire

Silvio Dante

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

What would worry me would be his placid nature suddenly turning from David Banner to the Hul, and then him battering me all afternoon.  When he came on v Blackburn you could see 6 games pent up frustration come out.  He needs firing up.  I thought the last 10-15 minutes of the first half he got fed up of being booted and he started to give it back, and we saw a better player as a result.

He did begin to man up a bit late in first half but I’ve seen little of any physicality that would frighten me or most Centre Halves At this level even when he’s ‘fired up’ Dave - I despair how easily and continuallly he gets outmuscled - I’d rather see him have a proper wrestle and give away a free kick at times, or even launch / clatter into his  opponent in say an aerial challenge,  at least once even if it costs him the odd yellow

Looks like Wayne Alison And plays with the physicality of ‘Alison’

The referee was almost laughing / smirking at his endless appeals today 

Sorry but looks like French Football is a better fit for him

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He did begin to man up a bit late in first half but I’ve seen little of any physicality that would frighten me or most Centre Halves At this level even when he’s ‘fired up’ Dave - I despair how easily and continuallly he gets outmuscled - I’d rather see him have a proper wrestle and give away a free kick at times, or even launch / clatter into his  opponent in say an aerial challenge,  at least once even if it costs him the odd yellow

Looks like Wayne Alison And plays with the physicality of ‘Alison’

The referee was almost laughing / smirking at his endless appeals today 

Sorry but looks like French Football is a better fit for him

He could learn a thing or 2 off Steve Morrison 

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

He could learn a thing or 2 off Steve Morrison 

Like the little nudge on Kelly just as the cross was delivered allowing him to outjump Kelly and set up their (F********) equaliser

Been there done it, another Wilbraham

In fact I’d go as far as to say if he’d been up top for us today, with Elliassons crosses , we’d have won comfortably

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Like the little nudge on Kelly just as the cross was delivered allowing him to outjump Kelly and set up their (F********) equaliser

Been there done it, another Wilbraham

In fact I’d go as far as to say if he’d been up top for us today, with Elliassons crosses , we’d have won comfortably

Not the best footballer in the world but his very good at what he does.

It looks like Diedhiou needs a physical man up along side him to take the physical side off of him.

His goals record is pretty decent, and if I was LJ I would probably be trying to get better value out of my £5.3m outlay.  As it stands, I think we would struggle to get our money back.

1 hour ago, Super said:

How does Weimann escape criticism? He is hopeless.

This!!!!!!

Weimann works hard but what else does he offer? You could train a dog to do what he does at the moment. Granted maybe he’s not an out and out striker but he just seems to have no quality or goal threat. Fammy can be so frustrating but I do find it amazing that Weimann is excused for poor performances based in work rate.

I also don’t think it suits Fammy when we seem to play more direct when he starts. Certainly not beneficial when he’s up there on his own, or without anyone running in behind or playing close enough to him. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Fammy got more goals come the end of the season than Weimann & Taylor put together.

Our quality (or lack of) strikers is a real concern. Fammy might to be the best but he’s far more likely to score than anyone else. Pretty desperate at the moment.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bob Taylor

Robbie Turner

Joe Jordan

Tammy

and numerous others would have bagged a hat trick or more today with the number of quality balls that Kelly and particularly Elliasson delivered today

£5.75 million

Incredible

Take a bow Nicklaus Elliasson (Supported by LK) took the game to Millwall on his own for most of the game

I Thought Kelly was very poor today, wasted a lot of good opportunity

This years scapegoat is Fammy,he’s certainly not been great but as he basically plays up front on his own with no support coming from behind as its meant to I think he gets a bit lost in games.when his confidence is up he looks a good player,he is the only striker we have who looks like getting into scoring positions even if he has missed a lot this year.we look even less potent upfront when he doesn’t play,Weimann is lightweight and offers little,Taylor is a pretty hardworking player but rarely looks like scoring we don’t know much about Eisa yet,we get Patterson who looks busy but rarely looks like he will score.I say give him a man up there with him he looked good with Reid up with him last year and scored plenty of goals,ok maybe he could work a bit harder but that’s down to negative LJ to sort out

FD didn't even get roughed up today.

He was constantly trying to con the ref.

I watched him very closely.

He stands close to his marker making out he's being man handled...he isn't. He uses his body weight to either fall back or forward at the slightest touch.

He's very rarely looking to win the ball...mainly trying to con the ref into a free kick.

As others have pointed out...his desire to win the ball is pathetic. His positioning is poor. Never gets across his man. Poor first touch.

So many forward moves are spoilt when the ball goes to him...either breaks down, he falls over ( we lose possession ) or he loses the ball.

The only time he is any good is when he hasn't got a man within 2 yards of him.

Say's it all when your best Championship strike force ends up as Weimann and Watkins.

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I Thought Kelly was very poor today, wasted a lot of good opportunity

His crossing was very mixed , but all our threat came down the left and the link of Elliasson / Kelly which also provided the three goals on Weds too 

I Thought Elliasson was outstanding today , had his full back on toast all game

If I’d been LJ I’d have been saying

Get the ball to Elliasson 

12 minutes ago, biggythecity said:

This years scapegoat is Fammy,he’s certainly not been great but as he basically plays up front on his own with no support coming from behind as its meant to I think he gets a bit lost in games.when his confidence is up he looks a good player,he is the only striker we have who looks like getting into scoring positions even if he has missed a lot this year.we look even less potent upfront when he doesn’t play,Weimann is lightweight and offers little,Taylor is a pretty hardworking player but rarely looks like scoring we don’t know much about Eisa yet,we get Patterson who looks busy but rarely looks like he will score.I say give him a man up there with him he looked good with Reid up with him last year and scored plenty of goals,ok maybe he could work a bit harder but that’s down to negative LJ to sort out

Scapegoat ?

I think , as demonstrated even in this thread that people recognise a lack of desire and fight

Scapegoat or not.....

If I was Lee.........

Id be thinking

‘He’s letting me down , selling me short ........and  what he does do , compared to what he could do, , is ,  probably single biggest reason/ danger I may end up getting sadked’

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

His crossing was very mixed , but all our threat came down the left and the link of Elliasson / Kelly which also provided the three goals on Weds too 

I Thought Elliasson was outstanding today , had his full back on toast all game

If I’d been LJ I’d have been saying

No point getting the ball to Elliason Bob when there is no one there to cross to.

Our whole game has gone to pot in recent weeks.

When we defend...we defend as we should...it's defined. The lines...players on string movement etc.

When we attack...it's a complete joke.

If we attack down the left...you've got Kelly and Elliason stuck to the touch line. Famara high on his own. Whilst Weimann and Pisano are sat opposite the other touch line...they may as well be sat in the stand...absolutely pointless being the other side of the pitch...you've got to move inside and make yourselves available.

The same can be said of the central midfield...both Pato and Brownhill didn't attack or support the 18 yard box enough. Both sat too deep when offensive.

Pack might as well of been playing as an old fashioned sweeper he was that deep and ineffective.

I've never seen a team go on the offensive using the whole width of the pitch like we do...it's like playing with 9 men when you've got two stuck to the opposite touch line.

I've supported LJ as much as one man can...and still feel he has his hands tied in many ways...but todays tactics were bloody awful.

We are playing so wide and expansive, trying to cross...basically to thin air.

Give me as much dogs abuse as you like...but hands up now...that was pathetic today...absolute no nous whatsoever tactically.

Shameful.

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5c041ec5138c092e24ac8d0d

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Scapegoat ?

I think , as demonstrated even in this thread that people recognise a lack of desire and fight

Scapegoat or not.....

If I was Lee.........

Id be thinking

‘He’s letting me down , selling me short ........and  what he does do , compared to what he could do, , is ,  probably single biggest reason/ danger I may end up getting sadked’

I get your point but I don’t see any better options and I don’t think we are playing into his strengths which are powerful runs into the box not the ball constantly being lumped to him which get eaten up by the big lumps at the back.i constantly hear people moshing about Fammy when So many others are ineffective and out of form.Clearly LJ picks the team and the way we play and how he uses what he has so in answer to that question I think LJ will get himself the sack to be honest but no time soon!!!

2 minutes ago, biggythecity said:

I get your point but I don’t see any better options and I don’t think we are playing into his strengths which are powerful runs into the box not the ball constantly being lumped to him which get eaten up by the big lumps at the back.i constantly hear people moshing about Fammy when So many others are ineffective and out of form.Clearly LJ picks the team and the way we play and how he uses what he has so in answer to that question I think LJ will get himself the sack to be honest but no time soon!!!

Im with you insomuch for all his limitations , he is indeed , and worryingly , our best hope for goals 

Not sure what his real strength is tbh and I’m afraid I think he lacks character - LJ said this week that out of all the players in the squad he ‘needs the most love’ 

I’m afraid he looks a tiger but has the threat of a Siamese 

I have a hunch , just a hunch , that Lee may  , should the opportunity arise , ‘trade’ him in , in January

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Im with you insomuch for all his limitations , he is indeed , and worryingly , our best hope for goals 

Not sure what his real strength is tbh and I’m afraid I think he lacks character - LJ said this week that out of all the players in the squad he ‘needs the most love’ 

I’m afraid he looks a tiger but has the threat of a Siamese 

I have a hunch , just a hunch , that Lee may  , should the opportunity arise , ‘trade’ him in , in January

You could well be right mate I so rate the guy myself though I really think played in the right formation he could be a gem but we won’t find this out with our manager sadly!!!

@spudski Brownhill made lots of runs forward and beyond Diedhiou today.  The problem is they were when the ball was on either touchline, e.g. too far away to be useful unless a Hoddle pass.  There was one almost-instance second half when Kelly got it over both CBs but the ball just evaded Josh’s first touch and skidded through to Archer.  Would’ve been brilliant, but it’s low-probability.

What we need is interchange between him and Pato, e.g. Pato sliding him down the sides as he breaks their back line.  It happens 40-50 yards out not 18-25.  It’s the kind of run we got from Reid last season and Weimann early season, but we haven’t had since.  It’s relatively easy to defend at this level.

When it does happen, you get balls cut back or slid across for tap-ins....and are tough to defend.

It does require clever runs, energy and bravery to be be advanced / condensed.  Diedhiou is never gonna spin you into the slot down the sides.  He might spin square...at times he’s very good at it.  He did it once today on the halfway line, spinning sideways, realeasing Eliasson.

Back to Brownhill.  He worked hard to make the extra forward...but if I’m critical of him, is that his workrate is inefficient, e.g. he does it at the wrong time.  Sometimes today, he’d have been better coming Square of Kelly/Eliasson and Pisano/Weimann to create the one-two angle.  

Paterson rarely got behind / past Diedhiou today.  I’ll be amazed if he got the ball in the box today.  He flitted around the box, but he doesn’t hurt you, or run beyond to create space for others.

I don’t think either had bad games, in fact they did some nice stuff in the first half, but it’s not in the areas that hurt you.

Think Diedhiou really needs to work on his timing some what.

I noticed it against Preston, he either jumped too early or too late and ends up either heading the ball up in the air or completely messing it up.

Weirdly, I've seen him score some cracking goals with his head using plenty of neck muscle to divert the ball, but at the moment he's all over the place.

The OG that Millwall scored today, I'm pretty sure that the ball was behind Diedhiou when the Millwall defender touched it, he basically didn't time his run very well.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski Brownhill made lots of runs forward and beyond Diedhiou today.  The problem is they were when the ball was on either touchline, e.g. too far away to be useful unless a Hoddle pass.  There was one almost-instance second half when Kelly got it over both CBs but the ball just evaded Josh’s first touch and skidded through to Archer.  Would’ve been brilliant, but it’s low-probability.

What we need is interchange between him and Pato, e.g. Pato sliding him down the sides as he breaks their back line.  It happens 40-50 yards out not 18-25.  It’s the kind of run we got from Reid last season and Weimann early season, but we haven’t had since.  It’s relatively easy to defend at this level.

When it does happen, you get balls cut back or slid across for tap-ins....and are tough to defend.

It does require clever runs, energy and bravery to be be advanced / condensed.  Diedhiou is never gonna spin you into the slot down the sides.  He might spin square...at times he’s very good at it.  He did it once today on the halfway line, spinning sideways, realeasing Eliasson.

Back to Brownhill.  He worked hard to make the extra forward...but if I’m critical of him, is that his workrate is inefficient, e.g. he does it at the wrong time.  Sometimes today, he’d have been better coming Square of Kelly/Eliasson and Pisano/Weimann to create the one-two angle.  

Paterson rarely got behind / past Diedhiou today.  I’ll be amazed if he got the ball in the box today.  He flitted around the box, but he doesn’t hurt you, or run beyond to create space for others.

I don’t think either had bad games, in fact they did some nice stuff in the first half, but it’s not in the areas that hurt you.

Well put Dave...I agree...I was making a general comment of our set up. There were instances...but they were few and far between. 

I think LJ said there were some good individual performances...I agree...but not as a team.

It was like our midfield..pato, Brownhill and pack were playing to a different plan to the rest of the team...if that makes sense.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Well put Dave...I agree...I was making a general comment of our set up. There were instances...but they were few and far between. 

I think LJ said there were some good individual performances...I agree...but not as a team.

It was like our midfield..pato, Brownhill and pack were playing to a different plan to the rest of the team...if that makes sense.

Absolutely makes sense.  I can’t believe we trained to play like that.  Not as if Millwall surprised us is it.  I’m not big into formations per se, but I wasn’t sure whether we were 4231, 4411, 4141 today.  I’m all for fluidity, but I thought we had no true pattern today, even if that means rotation of the midfield (like PNE’s Johnson, Pearson and Gallagher).  We actually did ok with no pattern in reality.

4 hours ago, City Cat said:

Agree, but he was always gonna go for family reasons

OK get that. So did he wake up one morning late in August, a couple of days before the window closed,and decide that? If so, could we not have said ‘wait until December’?

More likely, the Club knew of the family issues in the Spring (and/or had fitness worries). So the question then becomes, why no replacement?

A reflection of our muddled, confused transfer policy.

Shocking and depressing in equal measure.

Archived