IGNORED

Do we just need a new striker?

reddogkev

3 hours ago, When the river runs said:

I think someone like Kieffer Moore would have been good up front for us yesterday, not sure what he's playing like this season tbh.  He's been excellent against us recently and reckon he'd be cheap enough

I rate him also, good in the air and would get on the end of crosses. No slouch on the ground and is a 15 - 20 goal striker in this league with the right service 

22 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

No...

We need, most of all,  a new manager / head coach. To give LJ more millions to spunk away in Jan would be madness.

We need to move the ball quicker and forward, that's not going to happen whilst LJ keeps picking a bang out-of-form pedestrian Pack in CM.

We need to either play 2 up front, or play somebody in the No.10 role that won't spend 90% of the game "hiding" like Pato does, especially at home.

We need to give Eisa a chance, not a f...king clueless sub appearance in the 87th minute. 

I agree with 3 of your points, don't agree that it's time to part ways with LJ yet, I'm happy to see where City finish this season and what happens in the summer next year.

Sunday would have been the perfect game for Mo Eisa to have started the match, bloody shame LJ didn't see that.  I'd still like us to bolster the attack in January, irrespective of who the manager is.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Aren't we told all the time though that £1.5million is peanuts at this level?  Now I'm confused, Dave, is 1.5mill a lot of money again?

I feel Eisa is one who will need more time to develop, and for what it's worth, I haven't played computer games since the 90's!

It is peanuts...unless you are very fortunate and strike lucky,.  I know we have to keep an eye on finances, but we received 10 million for BR, who cost nothing, I believe the supporters deserve better, and that a goalscorer should be brought in, in January.  Surely we must have scouts and dossiers on potential signings that we should be constantly monitoring throughout the season,, so as to bring someone in?  Or is this just wishful thinking?

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know of a couple available.......

(This will only mean something to  only  some posters ! )

BB5D2E15-B1EE-4225-B291-BBF4098497AA.jpeg

Latest update is .

Mark and Lee have watched lots of videos of this pair and we’ve signed them for £5 million apiece and Lee has proudly explained they are Championship ready

:thumbsup:

Another update 

The new signings have just arrived 

2D014DE4-1691-4168-8F64-B23F9FB28D97.jpeg

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Latest update is .

Mark and Lee have watched lots of videos of this pair and we’ve signed them for £5 million apiece and Lee has proudly explained they are Championship ready

:thumbsup:

Another update 

The new signings have just arrived 

2D014DE4-1691-4168-8F64-B23F9FB28D97.jpeg

Loved that game, I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Smith was on radio Bristol chatting to 20man before the PNE game and he said that he’ll be back in January, would really like to see O’Dowda given a go in central midfield, thought he did really well when he came on at WBA and played there

Agreed, probably his best performance in a City shirt for those 20 minutes or so. Probably better suited in a midfield 3 than a 2 though. 

Just now, The Original OTIB said:

Loved that game, I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

I can remember excitedly waiting for Christmas when Striker was the game to have

I actually received a Korean tat import game which had a cardboard stadium and you had to pull the players leg back on a spring to kick the ball

The players kicked it like an Exocet missile and after about three kicks their legs fell off

I don’t think I ever recovered from the dissapointment

2 hours ago, Garland and Gow said:

Couldn’t agree more. There’s a sense of entitlement amongst some City fans that really needs to be addressed. SL is trying to make the club sustainable in the long-term and, given our history, we’re on-target to exceed expectations.

So we receive 10 mill for our striker, and replace him for 1.5 mill, that's not entitlement.........that's being short changed.  [ I really hope Eisa is successful, but he is not ready yet]  We don't have to spend millions on a transfer fee, but we could use some of it on wages for a good young striker as we did with Tammy?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know of a couple available.......

(This will only mean something to  only  some posters ! )

BB5D2E15-B1EE-4225-B291-BBF4098497AA.jpeg

Super striker, where you pressed the player's head to shoot. Or, if you were a clever sod, like me, you struck your man's melon so hard, that his leg fell off (despite the ball flashing past the opposing keeper like a speeding bullet).

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Eisa and Diedhiou up top. I’m gonna keep posting it til we see it and I’m proved to be absolutely clueless. 

Listen Schtanley, Elisa isn't drawing any interest, and I'm just thinking about Famara, but he's always a day away.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I can remember excitedly waiting for Christmas when Striker was the game to have

I actually received a Korean tat import game which had a cardboard stadium and you had to pull the players leg back on a spring to kick the ball

The players kicked it like an Exocet missile and after about three kicks their legs fell off

I don’t think I ever recovered from the dissapointment

I now understand Hip Flexor injury! ?

13 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Super striker, where you pressed the player's head to shoot. Or, if you were a clever sod, like me, you struck your man's melon so hard, that his leg fell off (despite the ball flashing past the opposing keeper like a speeding bullet).

At least you had the real one

?

Mentioned this before, but I’d love for us to go out and get Dowell from Everton in Jan. Either permanently or just on loan. He’d help link the midfield to the strikers & chip in with a few himself.

He was very good for Forest first half of the season, didn’t do much under Karanka who signed Tomlin.

Not too sure if we can afford another striker that’s been scoring goals, especially in Jan when prices are inflated. Like others have mentioned, perhaps it’s time to risk starting Eisa & see how he gets on. 

13 hours ago, harrys said:

True, plus the fact that in general City fans don’t seem to appreciate midfielders  with any talent(Tomlin, Jet, Trundle) 

Issue with them:

Tomlin - insanely inconsistent so most of the time was a waste of a player. Had sparks that showed brilliance but that consistency let him down and then he went on to be a complete bell end. 

Jet - On his day he was a game changer but much like Tomlin he could go missing and didn't track back meaning we were left short in the middle when it came to defending. 

Trundle - pretty much the same as the two above. He showed amazing ability but only when he wanted to and when he was off we may as well have played with 10 men

The key factor of a great creative midfielder is consistency and work rate. If a creative midfielder is going to be used then they have to be able to at least help pressure, even if they're not great at tackling they need to work with the midfield, they also need a good work rate. 

It's fine to play 4-5-1 with a creative midfielder but that's because the 2 central midfielders can pick up the creative midfielders slack if his work rate isn't up to scratch. The issue with this is your one striker has to really be top notch as he's going to need to make the runs and give movement all of the time as he'll be the only target for the creative midfielder, we simply don't have that quality of striker. The other option to get the most out of a creative midfielder is to have two strikers to maximise his options to create, but by having two strikers we have to sacrifice a midfielder for the creative midfielder. This means the creative midfielder needs to play more box to box getting involved in the defensive aspect of the game. 

Currently this is where we're struggling, when Patto plays the creative role in a 4-5-1 we have Fammy or Taylor in front of him, neither player makes space or runs that open the defence up meaning the ball ends up out wide. Neither Patto or our strikers are up to the standard of the championship and this is where we miss Reid, Reid would constantly be on the move which created space, either for himself or others which allowed our creative players to use that space. 

Whatever we go for, a new striker or a creative midfielder it ultimately comes down to consistency and quality. We can buy 100 strikers but if they can't create space and hold onto the ball then they won't work in our 4-5-1. If we go for a creative midfielder for our 4-4-2 then he'll need to have a high work rate and be able to muck in with the defending. 

Our biggest issue at the moment is we just don't find the complete player in a position, we need quality in January and quality is expensive so it's far more likely we'll get another roll of the dice striker and hope for an Abraham rather than a Diony or we'll get a creative midfielder who we hope is not a luxury player like Jet, Tomlin and Trundle were. 

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

Issue with them:

Tomlin - insanely inconsistent so most of the time was a waste of a player. Had sparks that showed brilliance but that consistency let him down and then he went on to be a complete bell end. 

Jet - On his day he was a game changer but much like Tomlin he could go missing and didn't track back meaning we were left short in the middle when it came to defending. 

Trundle - pretty much the same as the two above. He showed amazing ability but only when he wanted to and when he was off we may as well have played with 10 men

The key factor of a great creative midfielder is consistency and work rate. If a creative midfielder is going to be used then they have to be able to at least help pressure, even if they're not great at tackling they need to work with the midfield, they also need a good work rate. 

It's fine to play 4-5-1 with a creative midfielder but that's because the 2 central midfielders can pick up the creative midfielders slack if his work rate isn't up to scratch. The issue with this is your one striker has to really be top notch as he's going to need to make the runs and give movement all of the time as he'll be the only target for the creative midfielder, we simply don't have that quality of striker. The other option to get the most out of a creative midfielder is to have two strikers to maximise his options to create, but by having two strikers we have to sacrifice a midfielder for the creative midfielder. This means the creative midfielder needs to play more box to box getting involved in the defensive aspect of the game. 

Currently this is where we're struggling, when Patto plays the creative role in a 4-5-1 we have Fammy or Taylor in front of him, neither player makes space or runs that open the defence up meaning the ball ends up out wide. Neither Patto or our strikers are up to the standard of the championship and this is where we miss Reid, Reid would constantly be on the move which created space, either for himself or others which allowed our creative players to use that space. 

Whatever we go for, a new striker or a creative midfielder it ultimately comes down to consistency and quality. We can buy 100 strikers but if they can't create space and hold onto the ball then they won't work in our 4-5-1. If we go for a creative midfielder for our 4-4-2 then he'll need to have a high work rate and be able to muck in with the defending. 

Our biggest issue at the moment is we just don't find the complete player in a position, we need quality in January and quality is expensive so it's far more likely we'll get another roll of the dice striker and hope for an Abraham rather than a Diony or we'll get a creative midfielder who we hope is not a luxury player like Jet, Tomlin and Trundle were. 

Quality Post, Spike.  I've tried to give you a trophy but I'm out of likes!

It's very tough to judge Eisa from his very limited appearances here.

He looks absolutely great running with the ball,  but has never looked like he has much awareness to get places where he can receive a ball: it has to go straight to his feet.

Maybe this wasn't much of a problem in L2 with slower defenders, but it will be at Championship level.

I feel if we get a proven goalscorer in January, the best thing for Mo could be a loan at L1 level to get him decent game time.

18 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

Need a creative CM first and foremost 

people seem to have forgotten we have Korey smith to come back, that will certainly help shore up midfield and maybe then somebody like Bakinson or O'dowda  would maybe have the luxury of being more creative with more time on the ball. 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

people seem to have forgotten we have Korey smith to come back, that will certainly help shore up midfield and maybe then somebody like Bakinson or O'dowda  would maybe have the luxury of being more creative with more time on the ball. 

Haven’t forgotten, he’s not a creative type - don’t think you can pin your hopes on o’dowda or bakinson either

The best young player I've watched in ages who I think would be brilliant for us is Lawrence Shankland of Ayr United. Not another Scottish import I hear you say but just Google him he's a phenomenal goal scorer, quick, can hold the ball up and has an edge to him (probably because Aberdeen released him) he won't be in the Scottish Championship for long but as we have already taken a punt on Eisa we probably aren't even scouting this division!

1 hour ago, BarnzFM said:

Haven’t forgotten, he’s not a creative type - don’t think you can pin your hopes on o’dowda or bakinson either

thinking with Korey back doing more of the breaking up attacks and defensive side one of the others might have more time to be a bit more creative, I live in hope there is somebody at the club already we have enough of them (if you get what I mean) (slight dig at our recruitment).

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Issue with them:

If the three players I quoted had all the traits you’ve mentioned they would of played most of their careers in the Premiership, you mention consistency, well we have a few players that are playing regularly and are playing consistently bad, I assume players like Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Tony Currie, Duncan McKenzie, Frank Worthington etc weren’t your cup of tea? Personally I prefer to watch players who get me out of my seat on the odd occasion rather than watching Pack misplace yet another pass that is over five yards and having the turning ability of an articulated lorry

Archived