IGNORED

Do we just need a new striker?

reddogkev

On 03/12/2018 at 17:20, reddogkev said:

Apart from the lack of goals, we are doing alright generally, so is a good striker all we need?

I'd like to see more balls being hit forward from midfield to our existing forwards, they then might start scoring. All too often free kicks are hit backwards.

5 hours ago, harrys said:

If the three players I quoted had all the traits you’ve mentioned they would of played most of their careers in the Premiership

Hence they ended up playing for us and fading into obscurity. There are plenty of players who have these qualities and are consistent but they tend to go on to play in the Premier by helping the team they play for get promoted. 

you mention consistency, well we have a few players that are playing regularly and are playing consistently bad, I assume players like Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Tony Currie, Duncan McKenzie, Frank Worthington etc weren’t your cup of tea? Personally I prefer to watch players who get me out of my seat on the odd occasion rather than watching Pack misplace yet another pass that is over five yards and having the turning ability of an articulated lorry

I wouldn't say any of our players are consistent with maybe the exception of Kelly which is largely down to changing our game plan week in week out based on our opposition rather than our own strengths. 

We're not going to see any players excite is in the current set up because we're not playing exciting football and that won't change by bringing in more hit and miss players. 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:05, Davefevs said:

Pack - out of form

Brownhill - above everage most of the season - tick

Walsh - injured for anywhere between 6-14 weeks -the cynical in me suggests it will be 14....When was the last time anyone came back with LJ’s time span

Morrell - played 35 minutes in the Champ - would love him to do well, but huge ask

Bakinson - played less football in Lg2 than Morrell - big ask too, would again love it if it worked

O’Dowda - can’t get a start, and out if contract next summer

Smith - if he plays again this season it won’t be until April imho.  I spoke to him at PNE and he isn’t putting weight in it yet...confirmed by LJ.

We have a problem in midfield, only remedied by someone like Morrell taking to the Chsmp like a duck to water.  I think you’d see a massive reaction from the home fans if he did that, but it’s a huge ask.  Guess sometimes you’ve got to give them the challenge.

Do we still have Jens Hegeler?

If so how is he not making the team?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

LJ tried to get rid of in summer but no takers. He’s played the last couple of u23 games. 

Part of our lack of creativity in attack is due to pack sitting too deep and not getting up the field. Surely a player like hegeler could slot into the defensive role to enable pack to play further forward?

Hegeler offers something different to the others and certainly has experience ahead of the likes of morrell and walsh so is it that he is refusing to play or Johnson refusing to give him another chance? 

Either way I'm sure he's on a fair wage and certainly not going to help his resale value by leaving him in the u23s 

29 minutes ago, City18 said:

Part of our lack of creativity in attack is due to pack sitting too deep and not getting up the field. Surely a player like hegeler could slot into the defensive role to enable pack to play further forward?

Hegeler offers something different to the others and certainly has experience ahead of the likes of morrell and walsh so is it that he is refusing to play or Johnson refusing to give him another chance? 

Either way I'm sure he's on a fair wage and certainly not going to help his resale value by leaving him in the u23s 

As much as I think there is a footballer in there, we touted him for free in the summer and nobody took the bait. His resale value is £0.

Of course if you play him and he does well his value could go up. 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:36, Curr Avon said:

Super striker, where you pressed the player's head to shoot. Or, if you were a clever sod, like me, you struck your man's melon so hard, that his leg fell off (despite the ball flashing past the opposing keeper like a speeding bullet).

im gonna say that's striker and not super striker...………..super strikers kits were black and white stripes v red tops...…..

4 hours ago, City18 said:

Agreed- could have Hegeler between the back 4 and the midfield in a 4-1-4-1 shape then let Brownhill and Pack go further forward- that's one option.

LJ doesn't seem to rate him though.

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed- could have Hegeler between the back 4 and the midfield in a 4-1-4-1 shape then let Brownhill and Pack go further forward- that's one option.

LJ doesn't seem to rate him though.

We certainly aren't playing attractive football at the moment so think would be worth a try. We seem very lightweight in the middle at the moment so think Hegeler would be a good asset. If nothing else to bring off the bench when we are leading to provide a bit of support for the defence.

Looked up when Hegeler signed to find out if he was a Johnson signing and found the below quote from a BBC article:

"Jens has a fantastic pedigree and boasts more than 150 Bundesliga appearances," said Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson.

Seems odd that Johnson has managed to transform this 'fantastic pedigree' player, who I seem to recall has even got Champions League Experience?, into a player who can't get onto the bench for a struggling second tier English club. Another masterclass bit of business from our head coach? 

9 minutes ago, City18 said:

We certainly aren't playing attractive football at the moment so think would be worth a try. We seem very lightweight in the middle at the moment so think Hegeler would be a good asset. If nothing else to bring off the bench when we are leading to provide a bit of support for the defence.

Looked up when Hegeler signed to find out if he was a Johnson signing and found the below quote from a BBC article:

"Jens has a fantastic pedigree and boasts more than 150 Bundesliga appearances," said Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson.

Seems odd that Johnson has managed to transform this 'fantastic pedigree' player, who I seem to recall has even got Champions League Experience?, into a player who can't get onto the bench for a struggling second tier English club. Another masterclass bit of business from our head coach? 

The injuries haven't helped him, as with quite a few LJ signings- luck, poor training regimes or poor due diligence? I don't have the info to hand but fairly sure in the last 2 years plenty of LJ signings have got injured and for a decent amount of time at that.

However I think a different coach could have found a role for him, definitely- in a 3, or between the midfield and defence or even as you say to help shore things up when leading. Maybe a mix of all 3.

Archived