IGNORED

Do we just need a new striker?

reddogkev

Let's face it, we haven't replaced Bobby's goals.  Weimann did it for 4 games, but doesn't look like scoring again any time soon, and who knows what Eisa is capable of.

Apart from the lack of goals, we are doing alright generally, so is a good striker all we need?

We should have put Millwall to the sword Sunday, and certainly had most of the game.  Clearly, we should have won the match with ease.  We are lacking some decent finishing up top, which will be the difference between mid-table obscurity and crashing the top 8 spots.  Here's hoping SL gives Lee a good war chest this January to sign a decent striker, and not bring in another bloody Diony.

Who should we try to sign to help fill the void and what will we need to spend?

We’ve spent £1.5m on Eisa.  He needs to be given his chance before anyone new is brought in (unless we sell Diedhiou or Weimann for example).

Its right he’s given his chance.

SL should be insulting he gets given a chance.  £1.5m is no laughing matter.  Who else gave we bought for £1.5m ish and then gold rid of for a fraction?  Engvall and Djúric.

I really do hope SL has told LJ he has to self-generate funds.  Maybe he might finally learn.  He can then moan all he likes about “hands tied”....he’s put himself in this situation.

This is professional football at Championship level.  It’s not a computer game!

More importantly we need somebody to create chances through the middle. Bobby did both last season, he was so underrated and is so missed. 

It appears, though I’m not sure, that LJ is playing a possession based passing game this season...but it’s so predictable and easy to defend against.

We don't create goalscoring chances. Yesterday we relied on a lucky own goal for a point against a very weak millwall side at home. 

We lacked any imagination up front and did the same kick it down the wing and put in a poor cross for 90 minutes with little success.

We now have top league one talent and proven championship players in our squad. Rather than spend 6 million on another proven championship striker or risk it on an unknown foreign player, imagine if we put those millions towards bringing in some real quality into the coaching staff.

Famara diedhou is a good player and goal scorer getting poor support and low on confidence ... create him chances and he will score.

We need to address the lack of creativity within the coaching staff. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve spent £1.5m on Eisa.  He needs to be given his chance before anyone new is brought in (unless we sell Diedhiou or Weimann for example).

Its right he’s given his chance.

SL should be insulting he gets given a chance.  £1.5m is no laughing matter.  Who else gave we bought for £1.5m ish and then gold rid of for a fraction?  Engvall and Djúric.

I really do hope SL has told LJ he has to self-generate funds.  Maybe he might finally learn.  He can then moan all he likes about “hands tied”....he’s put himself in this situation.

This is professional football at Championship level.  It’s not a computer game!

Aren't we told all the time though that £1.5million is peanuts at this level?  Now I'm confused, Dave, is 1.5mill a lot of money again?

I feel Eisa is one who will need more time to develop, and for what it's worth, I haven't played computer games since the 90's!

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

More importantly we need somebody to create chances through the middle. Bobby did both last season, he was so underrated and is so missed. 

It appears, though I’m not sure, that LJ is playing a possession based passing game this season...but it’s so predictable and easy to defend against.

Damn I miss Bobby, correct me if I'm wrong, but he's not getting much game time now at Cardiff is he?  Please can we have him back in January!!!

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Aren't we told all the time though that £1.5million is peanuts at this level?  Now I'm confused, Dave, is 1.5mill a lot of money again?

I feel Eisa is one who will need more time to develop, and for what it's worth, I haven't played computer games since the 90's!

It is peanuts, but for Eisa (£1.5m), Engvall (£1.5m) and Djúric (£1.6m), that’s £4.6m.  If we take the two sold, we’ve spent £3.1m (plus wages) on a pitiful amount of appearances, and recouped £0.5m.  

Thats effin’ wasteful. 

Its peanuts to spend....but not peanuts to waste / fritter away on whims.

We don’t know whether Eisa will be good enough or not, but the other two were poor signings for different reasons.

LJ is the equivalent of my DIY.  I buy cheap tools, e.g. drill and drill-bits from Argos, and then find the dril-bits are like chocolate, and the drill has no oomph.  But I can fill my toolbox, and of that 64 set drill-bit, only 3 will get used.

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Two midfielders and a goal scorer. IMO

4 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

Need a creative CM first and foremost 

I reckon we're alright for CM with Pack, Brownhill, Walsh, Morrell breaking through, Bakinson to look forward to in the future, and don't forget the shouts for C'Od to get a chance in the middle.

For me personally, especially with the fact Smith will return at some stage, we're ok in the middle.

A good footballing midfielder and top striker would be great, but the way we are set up we just wouldnt get much out of them anyway.

its the old put 3 wingers on and take ypur biggest striker off issue, theres no one busting a gut to break theough the lines, trying to make something happen, and thats coming from the way they are being led.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I reckon we're alright for CM with Pack, Brownhill, Walsh, Morrell breaking through, Bakinson to look forward to in the future, and don't forget the shouts for C'Od to get a chance in the middle.

For me personally, especially with the fact Smith will return at some stage, we're ok in the middle.

Pack - out of form

Brownhill - above everage most of the season - tick

Walsh - injured for anywhere between 6-14 weeks -the cynical in me suggests it will be 14....When was the last time anyone came back with LJ’s time span

Morrell - played 35 minutes in the Champ - would love him to do well, but huge ask

Bakinson - played less football in Lg2 than Morrell - big ask too, would again love it if it worked

O’Dowda - can’t get a start, and out if contract next summer

Smith - if he plays again this season it won’t be until April imho.  I spoke to him at PNE and he isn’t putting weight in it yet...confirmed by LJ.

We have a problem in midfield, only remedied by someone like Morrell taking to the Chsmp like a duck to water.  I think you’d see a massive reaction from the home fans if he did that, but it’s a huge ask.  Guess sometimes you’ve got to give them the challenge.

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

No disrespect. But our midfield at the moment is so lightweight. And the players are so similar in standard and style. We definitely need a new midfielder 

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

@Davefevs is spot on with this - £1.5m is a lot of money for a club like ours - we regularly spend that sort of figure on players who disappear and are never played or given a chance - £1.5m isn’t peanuts to our club - this isn’t about what SL is worth - it’s about what Bristol City FC is worth and what we can afford to spend...

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Pack - out of form

Brownhill - above everage most of the season - tick

Walsh - injured for anywhere between 6-14 weeks -the cynical in me suggests it will be 14....When was the last time anyone came back with LJ’s time span

Morrell - played 35 minutes in the Champ - would love him to do well, but huge ask

Bakinson - played less football in Lg2 than Morrell - big ask too, would again love it if it worked

O’Dowda - can’t get a start, and out if contract next summer

Smith - if he plays again this season it won’t be until April imho.  I spoke to him at PNE and he isn’t putting weight in it yet...confirmed by LJ.

We have a problem in midfield, only remedied by someone like Morrell taking to the Chsmp like a duck to water.  I think you’d see a massive reaction from the home fans if he did that, but it’s a huge ask.  Guess sometimes you’ve got to give them the challenge.

Smith was on radio Bristol chatting to 20man before the PNE game and he said that he’ll be back in January, would really like to see O’Dowda given a go in central midfield, thought he did really well when he came on at WBA and played there

16 hours ago, Olé said:

Anyone know what position Norwich are in?

1181343174_Screenshot2018-12-03at01_18_01.thumb.png.f82a6ce3c6526f4b6b6900393719a357.png

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

As @ole posted, it depends who you spend it on. 

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

@Davefevs is spot on with this - £1.5m is a lot of money for a club like ours - we regularly spend that sort of figure on players who disappear and are never played or given a chance - £1.5m isn’t peanuts to our club - this isn’t about what SL is worth - it’s about what Bristol City FC is worth and what we can afford to spend...

Couldn’t agree more. There’s a sense of entitlement amongst some City fans that really needs to be addressed. SL is trying to make the club sustainable in the long-term and, given our history, we’re on-target to exceed expectations.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

True, plus the fact that in general City fans don’t seem to appreciate midfielders  with any talent(Tomlin, Jet, Trundle) 

I’d have loved Jet yesterday, just to stand still whilst Millwall bounced off him.  We looked powderpuff and Diedhiou must be the weakest big bloke I’ve ever seen.

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Smith was on radio Bristol chatting to 20man before the PNE game and he said that he’ll be back in January, would really like to see O’Dowda given a go in central midfield, thought he did really well when he came on at WBA and played there

Let’s hope so, we’ve missed him.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Let's face it, we haven't replaced Bobby's goals.  Weimann did it for 4 games, but doesn't look like scoring again any time soon, and who knows what Eisa is capable of.

Apart from the lack of goals, we are doing alright generally, so is a good striker all we need?

We should have put Millwall to the sword Sunday, and certainly had most of the game.  Clearly, we should have won the match with ease.  We are lacking some decent finishing up top, which will be the difference between mid-table obscurity and crashing the top 8 spots.  Here's hoping SL gives Lee a good war chest this January to sign a decent striker, and not bring in another bloody Diony.

Who should we try to sign to help fill the void and what will we need to spend?

No...

We need, most of all,  a new manager / head coach. To give LJ more millions to spunk away in Jan would be madness.

We need to move the ball quicker and forward, that's not going to happen whilst LJ keeps picking a bang out-of-form pedestrian Pack in CM.

We need to either play 2 up front, or play somebody in the No.10 role that won't spend 90% of the game "hiding" like Pato does, especially at home.

We need to give Eisa a chance, not a f...king clueless sub appearance in the 87th minute. 

Archived