IGNORED

Brum Player Ratings

Davefevs

In summary, not pretty....from either side, but glad we got the win, and we showed a bit of mettle at the back.

Maenpaa - 7 - as solid and safe performance as you can get without many shots to save.  He is assured, and defenders know when he’s coming or when he’s staying.  Can’t do much more than that.  Good handling of Jutkiewicz shot in injury time.

Pisano - 8 - absolute rock at RB, good aerially, goes in prepared to get hurt.  Maghoma got little change out of him today. My MOTM today.  Hunt not gonna get back in at this rate.

Kelly - 6- did ok defensively, but never got a chance to impose himself on the ball today.  Eliasson not great in front of him today, so no chance to build attacks.  He had a nice bit of toughness / edge today though.  Nice to see.

Kalas - 7 - best performance for a while against a tough striking duo.  Decisive with mist things he did.  Adams was tugging his shirt first in penalty claim.

Webster - 6 - decent enough, but let too many long balls go over his head and bounce, causing problems.  I like him striding forward but no options made it difficult for him.

Weimann - 4 - on the periphery today, not a lot more to say.

Pack - 5 - disciplined performance but so ineffective playing that deep, just creates huge gaps back to front.  Didn’t shirk responsibility and could’ve got a 6, but I think he sets the tone of our passing, and today it just gave us nothing.

Brownhill - 6 - cut a frustrated figure today, but worked hard for scraps.  Think he suffers from Pack being so deep.

Eliasson - 5 - offered little after looking like he could have the upper hand on Collin in opening 10 minutes.  Performance petered out.

Paterson - 7 - thought of the 5 in midfield today, he was the pick.  When involved, he did fine, but overall we never got enough ball into him.  Worked really hard....has he finally worked it out?

Diedhiou - 6 - not his best performance but gave Morrison and Dean a tough time, and both Dean and Collin could’ve easily got second yellows.  He didn’t get anything like enough service today, but important got the goal.  5 goals now, at a good rate.  Not gonna get many plaudits for his general play, but his goal the difference.

Subs: O’Dowda - 6 - didn’t do enough for me, squandering possession but running with the ball to get us up the pitch drawing fouls.  Corner for the goal, but for me needs to do more to change LJ’s mind about starting.

Watkins - too little to rate.

Be interesting to hear LJ’s post-match comments.  Can’t be happy with the football played, but he will be happy with the effort.  We are getting a bit of luck, with OGs and them hitting the post, but maybe it’s evened out our woodwork earlier in the season.

Having got back to level wins v defeats, a chance to kick on.  Good result, got to take this into Norwich.

I’ll give him one thing, he loves to really wind up his supporters when on losing runs and his haters when winning.  He’s bloody marmite isn’t he!!  I’m happy though tonight.

Well done everyone. Safe journey those who travelled who could be heard on the stream I watched.

6 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

Is Callum shagging your wife?

great cross/assist and changed the game IMO

Bit of an odd comment, to be fair to DF. About the most level-headed, balanced, considered poster on here! I'm sure he'll take yr comment with good grace. Not sure I would. It's a game of opinions, after all (yours included).

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In summary, not pretty....from either side, but glad we got the win, and we showed a bit of mettle at the back.

Maenpaa - 7 - as solid and safe performance as you can get without many shots to save.  He is assured, and defenders know when he’s coming or when he’s staying.  Can’t do much more than that.  Good handling of Jutkiewicz shot in injury time.

Pisano - 8 - absolute rock at RB, good aerially, goes in prepared to get hurt.  Maghoma got little change out of him today. My MOTM today.  Hunt not gonna get back in at this rate.

Kelly - 6- did ok defensively, but never got a chance to impose himself on the ball today.  Eliasson not great in front of him today, so no chance to build attacks.  He had a nice bit of toughness / edge today though.  Nice to see.

Kalas - 7 - best performance for a while against a tough striking duo.  Decisive with mist things he did.  Adams was tugging his shirt first in penalty claim.

Webster - 6 - decent enough, but let too many long balls go over his head and bounce, causing problems.  I like him striding forward but no options made it difficult for him.

Pack - 5 - disciplined performance but so ineffective playing that deep, just creates huge gaps back to front.  Didn’t shirk responsibility and could’ve got a 6, but I think he sets the tone of our passing, and today it just gave us nothing.

Brownhill - 6 - cut a frustrated figure today, but worked hard for scraps.  Think he suffers from Pack being so deep.

Eliasson - 5 - offered little after looking like he could have the upper hand on Collin in opening 10 minutes.  Performance petered out.

Paterson - 7 - thought of the 5 in midfield today, he was the pick.  When involved, he did fine, but overall we never got enough ball into him.  Worked really hard....has he finally worked it out?

Diedhiou - 6 - not his best performance but gave Morrison and Dean a tough time, and both Dean and Collin could’ve easily got second yellows.  He didn’t get anything like enough service today, but important got the goal.  5 goals now, at a good rate.  Not gonna get many plaudits for his general play, but his goal the difference.

Subs: O’Dowda - 6 - didn’t do enough for me, squandering possession but running with the ball to get us up the pitch drawing fouls.  Corner for the goal, but for me needs to do more to change LJ’s mind about starting.

Be interesting to hear LJ’s post-match comments.  Can’t be happy with the football played, but he will be happy with the effort.  We are getting a bit of luck, with OGs and them hitting the post, but maybe it’s evened out our woodwork earlier in the season.

Having got back to level wins v defeats, a chance to kick on.  Good result, got to take this into Norwich.

I’ll give him one thing, he loves to really wind up his supporters when on losing runs and his haters when winning.  He’s bloody marmite isn’t he!!  I’m happy though tonight.

Well done everyone. Safe journey those who travelled who could be heard on the stream I watched.

Eliasson,  Weimann & Paterson were the weak links today, and therein lies the problem. We do not have flair where it matters on a consistent basis. Pisano, Kalas and Webster all solid in the main, Maenpaa probably his tidiest performance to date. Diedhou did well for the goal but he can only do 60 to 65 minutes. We desperately need a midfield general (hard to find, I know) and a genuine sub to back up Diedhou. O'Dowda made a big difference picking up clever fouls.

No means of watching today so very thank you for this. Very impressive from Pisano by the sounds of things, and as you say Deidhiou ticking over with goals at a decent rate is a big relief for us. One of the most harshly criticised City players imo, can’t believe some of the rubbish I hear in the stands. Good job big Fam and COYR!!

Fammy cut a lonely figure in fairness much of the match, and had precious little service. Also not really seen him ‘last’ ninety minutes yet, was knackered the last ten. Much more concerned about Weimann, whatever LJ is trying, him and Fammy just does not work. Thought Pisano had his best game since his lay off.

Shape still looks all wrong to me, but no lack of effort or commitment. Were never really overwhelmed, and a big three points. Just got to do our best to keep the scoreboard ticking over at the moment, in the hope further down the road the form clicks a bit.

Interesting score on Patterson Dave. Did you go to or watch the game (genuine question)? From reading the match day thread, he has a large following of haters who appear to love to criticise his every involvement (again today). I didn't watch the game so I'll hold judgement. Just basing this on the comments.

I see a 7 as a positive score though.

27 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

Is Callum shagging your wife?

great cross/assist and changed the game IMO

Dunno, if I ask her she’ll only deny it ?

For me that was the one moment, I don’t think he did enough.  He drew fouls, but he still runs into trouble.  Needs to get his head up.  Doesn’t see the pitch in front of him (good players do and that gives them the split second to move the ball) and therefore is rushed.

I would want more from a ROI international if it were me.

Pleased he made the telling contribution though from the corner.

24 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Bit of an odd comment, to be fair to DF. About the most level-headed, balanced, considered poster on here! I'm sure he'll take yr comment with good grace. Not sure I would. It's a game of opinions, after all (yours included).

I put my opinions out there.  Always happy to have some debate.

Maenpaa - 6. Not much to do. 

Pisano - 7.5. Probably just about MOTM with assured display at back.

Kelly - 6.5. Good but lost plot for a bit in first half after booking. Good 2nd half though. 

Kalas - 7. Solid 

Webster - 7. Untroubled. 

Elliasson - 5. Quiet. 

Pack - 6. Some good moments of control but others where he lost it in middle of park. 

Brownhill - 6. Started off poor but got better as game went on.

Weimann - 5. Like Wiemann quiet. 

Paterson - 5. Adds little. 

Fammy - 7. Did a lot with not much service. 

Subs: 

O’Dowda - 7. Very lively. 

Watkins - 6. Not a lot to say. 

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Interesting score on Patterson Dave. Did you go to or watch the game (genuine question)? From reading the match day thread, he has a large following of haters who appear to love to criticise his every involvement (again today). I didn't watch the game so I'll hold judgement. Just basing this on the comments.

I see a 7 as a positive score though.

Watched on a stream.  Thought he was better than the other 6s I dished out, and I thought he worked hard, and his pressing helped us nip a number of balls away from them.  He used the ball better than any of the front-6 imho.  I’m as critical of him as anyone, but I couldn’t give a poor appraisal of him today.

Don't mean to be arguementative but think you slightly overrated Pato. I think he's had a poor season but started to improve 4games ago but today he looked comfortable butnot dangerous

Also please dont refer to 'all those Lj haters'as there are virtually none who go to matches. Ignore the tiny yet vociferous few on here but of any sample of 20 proper fans in a pub, maybe 1 doesnt think he's doing a good job. This is not marmite which divides opinion, we all love City and our manager

Long may the points be accumulated so otib can concentrate on the dozens of positives rather than respond to the Bob bobs of this world

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Watched on a stream.  Thought he was better than the other 6s I dished out, and I thought he worked hard, and his pressing helped us nip a number of balls away from them.  He used the ball better than any of the front-6 imho.  I’m as critical of him as anyone, but I couldn’t give a poor appraisal of him today.

Fair play - nice to read a view from someone who's willing to give credit when it's due. Goes to show the mindset of some fans on here at the moment. Forming a view just from reading the comments about him today, you'd think it had just been reported he was a fan of the Gas!

I watched on stream from 15 minutes in, I thought Pack had one of his better games in recent times. Yes he was very deep, but he played a good role in tidying up when the ball came back out of defence. I don't think the stream did much to convey the poor conditions today, so I would excuse the flair players finding it difficult. I thought Pisano was good in a variety of situations, both at right back and more centrally at times. 
I actually forgot Weimann was playing until he came back and gave away a free kick in a dangerous position just before he was subbed.

3 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Don't mean to be arguementative but think you slightly overrated Pato. I think he's had a poor season but started to improve 4games ago but today he looked comfortable butnot dangerous

See above.  I tend to deal in whole numbers, so he might’ve been a 6.51 ? All about opinions though.  We all see the game differently.

Also please dont refer to 'all those Lj haters'as there are virtually none who go to matches.

I know plenty who want him gone and are ST holders.

Ignore the tiny yet vociferous few on here but of any sample of 20 proper fans in a pub, maybe 1 doesnt think he's doing a good job.

The people on here I know and have good debate with on OTIB in the majority are ST holders.

This is not marmite which divides opinion, we all love City and our manager

Ooooookay!!  I disagree - I don’t love him.  He’s okay imho.  I think he should be doing better across the big picture, not just results.

All I was trying to say is that those of us that thought his time was close to being up are a little quieter as a result of 7 points over 3 games.  Those of us that were vocal at Xmas last season were quieter as the season progressed.

Long may the points be accumulated so otib can concentrate on the dozens of positives rather than respond to the Bob bobs of this world

You forget that forums and social media tend to err on the side of negative rather than positive.  I take the extremists at both ends out and just scroll down.

7 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

@Davefevs I liked the look of Pisano during his first half a dozen games here (pre-injury), is he starting to look like he is back to this form or is there still more for him to do?

Me too.  Thought he was a good signing, doing decently whilst adjusting to the Champ.  Then injury, coupled with a career threatening injury due to coming back too soon.

He’s done decently in each game I’ve seen him play this season, offers versatility too.

In the league:

• when starting P5 W3 D1 L1 G8 A5 P10
  • when sub P1 W1 G1 A0 P3

of course you can tell a lot of stories with stats, but the only defeat was Boro....and the sub was the last 7 minutes v Swansea.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I never expected to see much of Pisano again in a city shirt unless Hunt picked up a knock.

Me too JD.

But he looks like he's staying ahead of Hunt now. Good to hear how he did today. I saw bits of the game because of lagging on the stream so can't comment much myself on ratings. One thing having Pisano over Hunt is we can go more narrow when holding on and having 2 full backs in him and Kelly who can come inside and win headers. 

Textbook away performance.  Scored a goal, stood firm and rode our luck. I’m more than happy to see that served up away from home especially if we can find away to create a few more chances.  I think finding a formula where we play creative, exciting and sometimes winning football at home where we send the crowd who have parted with their hard earned cash home entertained will prove much harder for LJ.

3 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Eliasson,  Weimann & Paterson were the weak links today, and therein lies the problem. We do not have flair where it matters on a consistent basis. Pisano, Kalas and Webster all solid in the main, Maenpaa probably his tidiest performance to date. Diedhou did well for the goal but he can only do 60 to 65 minutes. We desperately need a midfield general (hard to find, I know) and a genuine sub to back up Diedhou. O'Dowda made a big difference picking up clever fouls.

I was trying to find a way of describing o’dowdas impact and you’re spot on . ?

You’d like to think that puts him in line for a starting place next week given Weimann was so quiet and the inconsistency of Eliasson and Patterson . 

5 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Where did Eliasson  spend most of his time, the bits I heard on radio he was on right flank, where he is basically ineffective, left flank looks really good.  

Please tell me he was in his best position. 

He started left, then I think ended up on the right for whatever reason, and stayed there for a good while with Weimann left. Never really got in the game after a bright start.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maenpaa, agree, inspires confidence, punched when he needed to today, which was the safe thing to do in the conditions.

Pisano, my mom too, outstanding

Kalas and Webster I'd have probably scored the other way round, but not much in it. Again, conditions today made it very difficult in the air and I wouldn't blame Webster for struggling to judge some. There were high balls coming towards where we were sat that we're moving about all over the place.

Kelly, 7 for me, very assured today I felt, and made several good runs forward. 

Weimann, agree

Pack, 6, broke up play well, just seemed to struggle with what to do thereafter!

Weimann, Brownhill, Elliasson,agree.

Pato, I agree with others who've challenged you on this! I thought he was average at best. Shame, I thought he was much better v Millwall, but just didn't seem to be able to influence today, and gave the ball away too often.

Diedhiou, 7, just for the goal. It was very good. He's such an inelegant player, but a constant pain to the Brum defenders.

O'Dowda, agree. 

Fans, 8. It was cold, windy, and, at half time, very wet!! 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Maenpaa, agree, inspires confidence, punched when he needed to today, which was the safe thing to do in the conditions.

Pisano, my mom too, outstanding

Kalas and Webster I'd have probably scored the other way round, but not much in it. Again, conditions today made it very difficult in the air and I wouldn't blame Webster for struggling to judge some. There were high balls coming towards where we were sat that we're moving about all over the place.

Kelly, 7 for me, very assured today I felt, and made several good runs forward. 

Weimann, agree

Pack, 6, broke up play well, just seemed to struggle with what to do thereafter!

Weimann, Brownhill, Elliasson,agree.

Pato, I agree with others who've challenged you on this! I thought he was average at best. Shame, I thought he was much better v Millwall, but just didn't seem to be able to influence today, and gave the ball away too often.

Diedhiou, 7, just for the goal. It was very good. He's such an inelegant player, but a constant pain to the Brum defenders.

O'Dowda, agree. 

Fans, 8. It was cold, windy, and, at half time, very wet!! 

Been chatting to someone else.  Think I underrated Pack’s defensive / controlled display today, so i’ll raise to a 6.  Think he is being constrained by LJ’s tactics.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Regarding Kelly I guess the unjustified booking he got early doors made him have to rein himself in a bit?

Kelly’s approach is generally cautious so the yellow card must’ve really affected him. Plus he’s still young so more difficult to deal with.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Been chatting to someone else.  Think I underrated Pack’s defensive / controlled display today, so i’ll raise to a 6.  Think he is being constrained by LJ’s tactics.

Possibly, but it might also be that they have noticed how many goals we concede when defenders clear the ball about 5 metres outside the penalty area. Yesterday Pack was there to either pick it up or clear it further up the pitch. Away from home in particular, he makes a good sweeper in front of the back 4.

Archived