Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

reddogkev

Famara Diedhiou - well done that man

Match winner again, must feel pretty good for him to score winning goal against Birmingham.  He needs to be a guaranteed starter in the team (provided fitness for games etc).

Who should be up there with him for home games, that's the question.

I've said it before, I love the bloke. 

• Like 16

Consistent selection will undoubtedly benefit him in terms of match fitness, sharpness, and confidence (essential in a striker)

Hope he plays every game.  All we need to find from inside the club (all those for the future strikers out on loan) or in January window is a striking partner for him. 

By the way, anyone know what has happened to wonderkid Hinds?

Edited by Ivorguy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Decent striker at this level - just looking at his goal scoring record. Enjoyable to see him prove the doubters wrong as usual too. 

I’m not a huge Fammy fan, but great to see him get the winner obviously - yet you say he ‘proves the doubters wrong as usual’ - ‘usually’ ?! Or rarely....

Anyway, fair play to him...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not a huge Fammy fan, but great to see him get the winner obviously - yet you say he ‘proves the doubters wrong as usual’ - ‘usually’ ?! Or rarely....

Yeh - look at his record at city in terms of goal scoring. 

Comfortably our best striker, I'm sure he'd be the first to agree he had a bad spell but who doesn't?

I remember Kodjia getting loads if stuck on here during a bad spell......not long before we sold him for £18m 

6 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Comfortably our best striker, I'm sure he'd be the first to agree he had a bad spell but who doesn't?

I remember Kodjia getting loads if stuck on here during a bad spell......not long before we sold him for £18m 

Yep, and now FD is scoring again, hopefully his confidence will continue to grow and he will deliver many more match-winning performances.

51 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Consistent selection will undoubtedly benefit him in terms of match fitness, sharpness, and confidence (essential in a striker)

Hope he plays every game.  All we need to find from inside the club (all those for the future strikers out on loan) or in January window is a striking partner for him. 

By the way, anyone know what has happened to wonderkid Hinds?

Him and Taylor seemed to play ok together in the cup games last year. Don't think they've played together much this year? 

• Like 1

Give Fammy a supply of quality balls into the box and he will score goals in the Champ. Great result today, regained some confidence. Well done the team. 

Edited by GasDestroyer
  • Like 1

Especially coming up against those who alleged his wrong doing of spitting ... can’t imagine how it must have felt personally at the end of the game .. 

that’s an extra gold star from me for overcoming that ... 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yeh - look at his record at city in terms of goal scoring. 

It is pretty decent isn’t it.

The problem with Fam is that he’s not a target man, he’s not a back-to-goal striker....it’s just because he’s a big bloke, we think he should be.  I watched a fair bit of him (mainly clips, highlights) at SCO Angers, and he latched into balls played through, or spired the odd header.  He was never the out ball from defence.

Of course for a big bloke he does need to use his physique better, and I can see why he gets the criticism he gets... but I think he does deserve a bit of slack, because he’s not playing his natural game.

Glad he put himself about today.  He was more physical, gave away some cheap fouls but all-in-all he showed good commitment today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I completely agree. He is our best striker and any City fan who thinks otherwise is delusional. We all know he’s no world beater but he can finish if we give him decent service. 

I like Taylor’s work rate but his goal ratio is appalling. And yet City diehards constantly sing that stupid song ‘Matty Taylor he’s a red’.

Well done Fammy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Give Fammy a supply of quality balls into the box and he will score goals in the Champ. Great result today, regained some confidence. Well done the team. 

He will if he moves and gets across markets

He had a wealth of quality balls to attack in Millwall game 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

It was £11m raising to £15m, other than that, he did get too much stick in his time here and Famara gets alot too.  Some of it was justified, some over the top.  Glad to see Famara slowly getting better, especially as he's the only player in the squad who hits the back of the net regulary.  Just wonder though if some of the criticism is because we know he's alot better than what he's shown in large parts this season.

Thought he had some nice control and touches today and a few glimpses he's getting it together now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I've said it before, I love the bloke. 

Me too. 

He has some fantastic attributes. His heading can be immense, like the way he twisted himself almost inside and out on debut v Barnsley and another game I can't recall. His strength can be vital in holding the ball up and often getting a free-kick. His movement can be good.

Flipside, his control can be about as wonky as you can get, more times than not. Too often the ball comes in to him and he either immediately loses it or takes three or four touches trying to work a space and then still doesn't lay it off! He's also surprisingly knocked off the ball when you think he should be tougher to play against (maybe trying the old continental trick of looking for a free-kick). 

His inconsistency with his play can be maddening. His strike rate cannot be questioned. He's the perfect enigma. His enigmatic aura is perhaps what I love about him. Any better - a la le Kodge, le Tammy - and we know he'd be offski.

Edited by Huntstile Red

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is pretty decent isn’t it.

The problem with Fam is that he’s not a target man, he’s not a back-to-goal striker....it’s just because he’s a big bloke, we think he should be.  I watched a fair bit of him (mainly clips, highlights) at SCO Angers, and he latched into balls played through, or spired the odd header.  He was never the out ball from defence.

Of course for a big bloke he does need to use his physique better, and I can see why he gets the criticism he gets... but I think he does deserve a bit of slack, because he’s not playing his natural game.

Glad he put himself about today.  He was more physical, gave away some cheap fouls but all-in-all he showed good commitment today.

We have the same issues with FD as LJ old man Gary had with Enoch Showunmi !  What exactly is he, and his style of play reminds me very much of good old Enoch. (think he is non league these days with Canvey island).  

My own take is I want to see him scoring goals doing well so we can get our money back and trade him for a better version.  We all have opinions, perhaps even getting another player to 'compliment' him.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

We have the same issues with FD as LJ old man Gary had with Enoch Showunmi !  What exactly is he, and his style of play reminds me very much of good old Enoch. (think he is non league these days with Canvey island).  

My own take is I want to see him scoring goals doing well so we can get our money back and trade him for a better version.  We all have opinions, perhaps even getting another player to 'compliment' him.   

Never saw Showunmi live, but I get what you’re saying.

I saw Fam as a championship version of Kevin Campbell when he joined.  I don’t think he’s done as well as last season, but let’s hope he keeps scoring.

Good championship striker. Not the absolute best championship striker, but he scores goals, holds it up and wins headers. Got enough pace to be played through every now and then. I have always liked him. At his age he can improve late into his 20s or early30s. Target man strikers can often reach their peak late in their careers. Look at Lambert, Kevin Davies, Zamora. Think there's a fair few more I can't remember, but it does happen with some.

EDIT. Glenn Murray a perfect example!

Edited by JonDolman

Going against the flow still

He is our main goal threat

But still not a great fan - could be so much better if he put as much effort into challenges and his all round play as he does in his celebrations

Glad to hear it sounds like he put himself about more today 

• Like 2

Thought he was excellent today. Obviously wanted revenge on Birmingham. Need him like that all the time. 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Going against the flow still

He is our main goal threat

But still not a great fan - could be so much better if he put as much effort into challenges and his all round play as he does in his celebrations

Glad to hear it sounds like he put himself about more today 

I am not 100% it is a lack of effort but maybe a lack of IQ. As @Davefevs said when you watched highlights of him at Angers he wasn’t scoring a lot from crosses or playing with his back to goal. He does have poor touch which doesn’t help him but the runs in the box for crosses don’t seem a natural thing for him. He isn’t old however and hopefully he is getting that coaching. Think he is getting there. Scored another header today and has hit the bar 3-4 times this season with his head. There are signs of improvement but it being Bristol City and him being the by far record signing for us he will always have doubters. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Enoch told GJ he wanted to play alongside a big striker! Gary wondered whether Enoch had any mirrors in his house. 😂

• Haha 3

Pleased for him today. Worked hard, with little service. Birmingham seemed determined to wind him up again today, and he got no protection from the ref. Must have been special to get the winner.

He may not li e in Knowle but he loves the support he gets from supporters! If this sounds obvious we have so. E saddos on this forum who you'd have to question if they understand football and what support really means. Someone (no surprises who) even suggests he has to move club to get good service 

Really...? 

Excellent, physical performance today from the man from Senegal repaying the faith Lee and the team have kept in him, Top Man, Fam

He's very reasonable, but I don't think winning the "best striker at this club" award is particularly difficult!

For a club record £5.3m that's the least I expect.

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 4

today he was getting in front of his marker.twice gary owers said he had the defender pinned behind him so he couldn't get to the ball. ,last week and the time before,it was said on rb that he wasn't even trying to do that.hopefully that's his confidence coming back. also sounded like o dowda produced the first accurate cross from that corner for him to head in. still a lot to do up front but pleased Fammy got sweet revenge today

32 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

today he was getting in front of his marker.twice gary owers said he had the defender pinned behind him so he couldn't get to the ball. ,last week and the time before,it was said on rb that he wasn't even trying to do that.hopefully that's his confidence coming back. also sounded like o dowda produced the first accurate cross from that corner for him to head in. still a lot to do up front but pleased Fammy got sweet revenge today

I really enjoy listening to Gary Owers on BBCRB.  He talked so much sense without bias....and educates the listener.  I did catch the first 5 minutes today (rushing back from Keynsham Leisure Centre), and little things like Ed Hadwin saying we are playing 433, with GO saying it’s more like 4231 with the ball and 4141 without it, explaining it to us.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really enjoy listening to Gary Owers on BBCRB.  He talked so much sense without bias....and educates the listener.  I did catch the first 5 minutes today (rushing back from Keynsham Leisure Centre), and little things like Ed Hadwin saying we are playing 433, with GO saying it’s more like 4231 with the ball and 4141 without it, explaining it to us.

Yes, I've caught a few snippets of Gary Owers on the radio on my way home after games and thought how good he was.

When I pass on this news to my Torquay supporting mates they can't believe it, the difference in the team since Owers left and Gary arrived is enormous. I guess there's more to it than just talking about it

I probably should pitch in here as one of Fams critics.

In the post match interview, LJ said words to the effect of FD being “world class” when it came to movement across the defence. He might be, every now and again, but he isn’t every week, or even every other week. Millwall proved that.

The biggest thing I’ve seen is that when he’s motivated, and he’s “on”, he’s a different player. Look at his good games - he has something to prove. When he feels comfortable, he’s poorer. This might be a function of Fam not needing to try in view of our lack of options, but for me, he doesn’t hit that motivated level he can hit often enough.

Theres a player there. But it’s not enough for him to show it after he’s been dropped, or if he’s playing against a team who’ve wronged him. He needs the desire week in, week out. And if we get to Stoke on New Year’s Day and he’s done a run of performances with full effort and hence effectiveness, then I’d be delighted. As with @BobBobSuperBob though, my inkling is the next poor game is just around the corner. And if that’s due to work rate as it has been prior, Fam needs to seriously look at himself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not read all the replies to this thread so sorry if Im repeating what’s already been said... he only has doubters when he isn’t scoring... basically he doesn’t bring much else to the team except for scoring goals so when he’s doing his job (scoring) he’s untouchable....glad he’s scoring again and we’ll be happy with the 11-15million we will get from Villa for him in Jan 😀

I’ve not been Fammy’s Greatest fan tbh. The comparison with the Showman is how I feel. When he’s p1553d off he is very handy. 

I also concur with the thought that we tend to go ‘direct’ with him in the side - and our best football last season was when he was unavailable. 

That having been said, genuine congratulations to him and well done from me - looking at the comments on here he put in a shift and it paid off. 

Please could someone who actually went to the game tell me - did he play very central today? By that I mean not wandering out wide or dropping deep. 

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

18 goals in 47 league appearances for us. 

Bobby Reid got 19 in 46 league appearances last season. 

• Like 1

If he gets to 15 goals this season ( and yes i think he will), hes our next £10m man for sale imo. 

Hes no world beater but 15+ as a striker in this league is worth £10m easily. 

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

If he gets to 15 goals this season ( and yes i think he will), hes our next £10m man for sale imo. 

If he ever goes for more than £10 mil, I seriously give up with football

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Who you you think he is..? Matty Taylor..?! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Who you you think he is..? Matty Taylor..?! 

Oh , **** me...  I just remembered

Colin W is looking for a January signing in the striker department.

Bye bye Fammy  £15 mil  anyone?

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Fammy is quite a sensitive sole. The criticism and the cheering the other week when he was subbed must have really hurt him. Lets hope this is the start of him understanding that apart from getting the Pigs Bladder over the white line, he has to put in a shift as well. The old fashion goal hanger has long gone, and as a striker you have to do a lot more or you'll get slated unless you keep on scoring. I like Fammy but as others have said he can be bloody frustrating and should score a lot more! Fingers crossed he's got his mojo back now as no one else looks like scoring at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think Fammy is quite a sensitive sole. The criticism and the cheering the other week when he was subbed must have really hurt him. Lets hope this is the start of him understanding that apart from getting the Pigs Bladder over the white line, he has to put in a shift as well. The old fashion goal hanger has long gone, and as a striker you have to do a lot more or you'll get slated unless you keep on scoring. I like Fammy but as others have said he can be bloody frustrating and should score a lot more! Fingers crossed he's got his mojo back now as no one else looks like scoring at the moment.

Absolutely spot on there

Hr loves to be , and I think sees himself as the hero goalscorer / matchwinner 

He certainly didn’t take the reaction when he was subbed against Preston too well 

Might go on a run now - he’s that sort of player

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Blimey - he had better grow a pair quick if that’s true. 

Getting criticised, sworn at, booed and slated on social media is part of what you should expect if you play any part at this club!

God help him if he ever became manager!!!!

7 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Blimey - he had better grow a pair quick if that’s true. 

Getting criticised, sworn at, booed and slated on social media is part of what you should expect if you play any part at this club!

God help him if he ever became manager!!!!

‘You’ve never criticised or ‘slated any City Player , ......ever

Wow

Where do we send the big shiny medal ?

and yes he does need to grow a pair ,

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

48 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I probably should pitch in here as one of Fams critics.

In the post match interview, LJ said words to the effect of FD being “world class” when it came to movement across the defence. He might be, every now and again, but he isn’t every week, or even every other week. Millwall proved that.

The biggest thing I’ve seen is that when he’s motivated, and he’s “on”, he’s a different player. Look at his good games - he has something to prove. When he feels comfortable, he’s poorer. This might be a function of Fam not needing to try in view of our lack of options, but for me, he doesn’t hit that motivated level he can hit often enough.

Theres a player there. But it’s not enough for him to show it after he’s been dropped, or if he’s playing against a team who’ve wronged him. He needs the desire week in, week out. And if we get to Stoke on New Year’s Day and he’s done a run of performances with full effort and hence effectiveness, then I’d be delighted. As with @BobBobSuperBob though, my inkling is the next poor game is just around the corner. And if that’s due to work rate as it has been prior, Fam needs to seriously look at himself.

Forward play has become multi faceted. Being determined, focussed and prepared to work for the team are traits of modern great forwards. These are qualities the player in question frequently lacks and without them and with obvious technical limitations the teams potential tactically is limited.

Unless there is a significant improvement in his mind set .. Move him on at the end of the season.

• Like 4

I'm really happy we won and love that Fam scored as he really does enjoy it - and being against Birmingham would have made it that much sweeter for him.

However, every time he scores (but has played quite average) there seems to be a number of posters saying that because people have been critical of him, that he's answered them and said critics should pipe down.

I don't think anyone is criticising his goalscoring record. IMO it's his overall game and the fact he could do a lot more that frustrates people.

30 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ve not been Fammy’s Greatest fan tbh. The comparison with the Showman is how I feel. When he’s p1553d off he is very handy. 

I also concur with the thought that we tend to go ‘direct’ with him in the side - and our best football last season was when he was unavailable. 

That having been said, genuine congratulations to him and well done from me - looking at the comments on here he put in a shift and it paid off. 

Please could someone who actually went to the game tell me - did he play very central today? By that I mean not wandering out wide or dropping deep. 

I watched him closely today and he was more central in open play, but as expected would drift over to the wings when we had throws in. I don't recall him dropping deep, which hopefully was a LJ instruction as I don't think he offers much when he does.

I thought he could have done more today when our back three of Pack, Webster and Kalas had possession. There were times when our midfield had very little space to receive the ball and he should have been demanding the ball into feet. This is an area he needs to work on if we plan on playing one striker up top. We need the option of a quick 30 yard pass drilled into his feet that he can control and then bring players into the game. Far to many times there wasn't this type of pass on and we tried to force it wide with a number of passes hit into touch.

On the plus side he looked a lot stronger today. Shielded the ball well at times and also won a number of free kicks that took the pressure off.

6/10 today, maybe 7 because of his goal...but not world class.

• Like 2