IGNORED

Joe Morrell the next academy starlet

Port Said Red

I thought Morrell was the best player on the pitch tonight. He found great pockets of space, wasn’t shy in the tackle or wanting the ball, always looked for the forward pass, and wasn’t afraid to have a crack when the chance arose. 

A very impressive performance from a lad who reminds me ever so slightly of Xavi. I don’t know why we’re looking to loan him out as he’s ready to start in the Championship on that display tonight. 

53 minutes ago, TBW said:

Been waiting for Morrell to step up for years. Glad he's pushed on as I was worried for a while he'd end up like so many of our other kids over at Weston-super-Mare or Yate.

How many years ago was it he made his debut?

He’s suffered to sone extent by the improvement of Bristol City over the same period.  If we were still in Lg1 he’d gave 40/50 appearances.

I’ve not seen much of him (obviously), but whereas v Huddersfield he was neat and tidy, whilst trying to play forward as much as possible, tonight you could see his confidence, and there was a real spark to his play, given a bit more licence with Pack behind him.  Had two shots, the second one following a great run.

22 is still young (enough) to break through in CM in the Championship.  He is doing himself no harm at all, and justifying the 2.5 year contract just signed.

Plus, I think the crowd just love a local lad / academy product to come in and do well.

7 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Agreed, but Korey can do Packs job and more.

Best midfield weve had in a very long time.

Sorry Yorks

Disagree again

Totally different player again

Different tools so to speak

LJ could leave Pack out but I still think he does that role that LJ wants , better than anyone we’ve got at present time

Anyone else think it was a pen when he got completely nailed by their CB in the 2nd half? I get that the ball was going out of play but their player had no reason to even make the challenge yet the ref waved it away with no hesitation! At the time of being taken out the ball was still in play so was stonewall imo. Whilst we’re at it I thought the Ref overall was terrible, their LB should learn how to jump and win a header, atleast 3 times he went up for headers with zero intent on going for the ball only the player. Should of seen red.

If the backstory was different and we’d just bought Joe from a premiership club, á la Walsh in a previous window, then to a man we’d be not only predicting him a First XI regular for years to come but pretty much demanding he play every week. 

Hes certainly given LJ a headache as surely we need to keep him in the matchday squad and not despatch him to Cheltenham or somewhere on loan? 

9 hours ago, winsaw said:

He was still looking a bit light weight he got knocked off the ball a bit to easily at times by a very strong Bolton side, 

But when he did put his foot on the ball his passing was very good , I liked he was always getting his head up ,

Think he could really have an affect on the games in the last 20mins when the other side are tired and his skill and pace can really affect the game

Smaller framed players generally earn more free kicks as they’re knocked off the ball more often.

What I really liked was his character to just get straight back up again and keep showing for the ball.

Well done Joe.

8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Pack is far too inconsistent, makes some bad decisions when he tires.

Good good player no less, but a fit Korey is first choice imho.

I think that with Morrell showing real promise, Walsh to come back , I wouldn't be surprised if Smith was moved on. If we got a decent bid, and with injuries in mind, I can see Smith going. We still need cover for Pack in that holding role, not sure if we'll go back for the Everton lad . Smith is 27 and we would probably get our money back and possibly more.   

8 hours ago, Coppello said:

Our academy really has come on a long way since the days when we used to get excited about Tristan Plummer, James Wilson and Christian Ribiero. All of whom went downhill as soon as they left City. 

Whilst I agree that our academy seems to be producing a much higher calibre of players these days, I think that's a bit harsh on Ribiero. Without all his injuries, I think he would have become one hell of a player.

10 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Reminded me of a young Paul Scholes. No greater accolade.

Yes.......I was thinking during the game of who he reminded me off and you've hit nail on head.

Great performance from Joe, always wants the ball and very "tidy" play in using the ball when in possession.

Well done JM.

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Completely different players but Korey has nowhere near the vision or range of passing as  pack 

Pack is a dreadful passer, unless he has 2 minutes to work our where he’s passing it he messes it up. Liam Walsh is a far superior passer then pack, pack is playing well and fits this system but for me he’s behind walsh, smith and brownhill.

2 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Pack is a dreadful passer, unless he has 2 minutes to work our where he’s passing it he messes it up. Liam Walsh is a far superior passer then pack, pack is playing well and fits this system but for me he’s behind walsh, smith and brownhill.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But imo your talking out your ass 

I hope we will not be looking to sign any more midfielders in the next two windows. Well, maybe an out and out holding midfielder.

If we are serious about the pathway Joe needs to get the chance to establish himself.

I can see a scenario where we lose Josh, albeit for big money, and Joe steps in.

54 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Pack has really become a complete player in the last 2 seasons, his passing can be brilliant, gives the ball away much less than he used too, if only he were more aware of pickpockets!

Much better without the captains armband 

1 hour ago, SODS_LAW said:

Amazing. After all of these years using the Internet, I have finally stumbled across someone I disagree with.

I thought things like this were just a myth. Like the Yeti, Unicorns or billionaire Jordanians.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Didn’t we get him as a straight swap for Liam Kelly? So effectively free anyway. 

I believe we paid £750k, but Kelly valued at £250k, so £500k net.

Forgot to say that Morrell is quick too.  He gets away from people when driving forward.  He has positioned himself ahead of the returning Walsh in the pecking order imho.  Lee eluded to the fact in his radio interview last night that they’ve given him some real incentives in his new contract for playing games.

12 hours ago, YorksRed said:

Played really well and also looks to have a bit of an edge about him too.  In the Huddersfield game the BBC Leeds commentator said he was a “ratty little player” and meant it as a complement!

So when he plays alongside Marlon, our midfield is driven by the Rat Pack.

Joe "You dirty rat" Morrell !

dirty rat.jpg

Archived