IGNORED

Serious playoff contenders?

General Zod

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

We are currently 6th''I don't think we will make it'' with the best defence behind Boro, (actually we are better currently)  and you....

Don't think we will make it, :ermm:

Be interested to know why?

I think we'll just fall short. We've been on an immense run lately and that won't continue indefinitely.

Despite our great run we're barely clear of a very tight group containing about a third of the division, and we still have to play all of the top 5 sides.

47 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think there are so many factors to consider. 

Fammy - Not sure if he's consistent enough to carry our front line, some games he looks untouchable but in others his touch is awful, he can't hold possession and he doesn't look a threat. I still think we needed that one quality striker signing to push us onwards. 

Despite which he somehow keeps in scoring crucial goals. Also looks like Weimann might have rediscovered his mojo, so could be a bit of a secret weapon playing as a striker and presents a different option up front..

Forest - I think they could have a big turnaround if their signings hit the ground running. I think the initial control MON has taken was always going to be shaky but with the players they've brought in and the squad they already have they could be a dark house to fly up the table. 

With our squad, and adding Palmer, we could fly up the table - but then again, we already have flown up the table.

Derby - They've had a blip but if they recover then they've already got their blip out of the way. They have some talent and could certainly pip us to that 6th spot. 

Every team above us, and a few below us , have some talent  will probably have a blip and will recover - as will we.

Our form - There is no doubt that we're on an amazing run at the moment but we've got a nasty habit of struggling when we come off of a good run of form. I think this will be the real telling moment for us, how well we can bounce back from a loss. 

We came back from 4 defeats on the bounce with the current unbeaten run. We look a very different team from the ones in previous seasons that slumped badly. Not saying we won't have a blip, but think we have better bouncebackability now.

The Cup run - I'm sure after last season the idea of beating Wolves and going into the quarter finals, possibly against a big name team, has to be on the lads mind. We all see how deflated the lads looked after going out to Man City. I do wonder if that was a huge psychological blow and could have an impact on us this season when we do go out. 

If it's Wolves, then it's a free hit. The players should see it as a great chance to see how they measure up to premier league players, but with nothing to worry about if they lose. The bigger worry would be Shrews getting through and us losing to them - then I would worry about the psychological impact!

A crucial injury - There has been a lot of talk about Fammy getting injured but for me the idea of Kalas getting injured could really throw a spanner in the works, especially if we're struggling to score more than the odd goal. Losing Kalas could impact the defence greatly and in turn have a major impact on our results. 

WE've managed without Webster for a couple of games with little problem and IIRC managed without Kalas earlier in the unbeaten run. Having Wright and Baker ( and Kelly, as many say his best position is central defence) in reserve reflects the better strength in depth we now have.

Hopefully all of our key players will stay injury free and when our next loss does come we'll bounce back quickly from it. We've certainly got every chance of getting into the play offs but we've also got a very fragile balance now in certain areas of the pitch. 

4 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Every year (well it seems like every year), one or two teams go racing up this table from mid table into the "zone".

Hull and Bristol City are possibly these two teams.

Who knows? Just put one foot in front of the other, beat the team that is put in front of you on the day. Well, we can dream...

...should I book my leave already?

As long as we don't have to play Hull in the final again?

we have four points fewer than after the same number of games played last season, but we are arguably in a much stronger position than we were then. Might seem odd to say that given that at the same stage last season we were one win off second place. But the bubble had definitely burst following the cup run and then the successive defeats to Wolves (the real turning point in our season for me) and then Villa (the 5-0 spanking) whereas this season we've come into February full of energy and confidence and look like a side that's really hard to beat. We have much greater squad depth and rely much less on a select few players to perform. Whatever your thoughts on the transfer window activity, it's meant we've kept a really tight group who are motivated to perform and know the system well. We look well placed for a play-off spot. This weekend at Blackburn will be a challenge for sure; I'd like to think we can take a point from that and back it up with a home win versus QPR on the Tuesday. Averaging two points a game for the run in will see us over the line. #COYR

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could get it sooner than that Major.

Way the season is panning out, with 2 sides in such form- could be a playoff decider, for the last place.

One of the key games last day of season? Hull-Us, at their place.

8-7 on agg!!

0-2 > 3-2 > 

3-3 (ahead on away goals) > 6-3 > 6-4 > 7-4 > 7-7 (behind on away goals) > 8-7

what a playoff semi final that would’ve been

I cannot see Leeds tailing off that much. Perhaps top 6 at worst.

6 hours ago, Unan said:

Slightly unrelated but Leeds play like we did last season & have a similarly young squad. They’re starting to tail off the same time we did last year and if I was a betting man I’d put money on them finishing 7th.

Our form against the current top 8 teams (excluding us):

• Played:7 - W2 D2 L3
  • Still to play - 4 home (Leeds, WBA, Derby, Brum) and 3 away (Norwich, Sheff Utd, Boro)

Our form against teams 8-12:

• Played: 5 - W3 D2 L0
  • Still to play - 0 home and 3 away (Hull, Villa, Blackburn)

For me, there are 3 key away games there in the 8-12 bracket that we need to avoid losing to stay in the hunt. If we can do that, playoffs are definitely possible if we can also improve our form against the top 8 teams, which we have a chance to do with those 4 home games. 

As pointed out above, we could lose as many as 7 games from here and still be OK (but wait and look below) - so there are only 6 away games against top half opposition and 7 games against top 8 teams. The door is a jar but again we need to avoid any expected slip ups too.

However we need to look at the opposition too - our closest rivals right now are:

Let's look at Derby:

• Have only 3 (vs our 7) more games against top 8 opposition.
  • And 4 (vs our 3) more games against top 12 opposition. 
  • Of these games 2 are home 5 are away though. But they have a chance to bag some serious points against 'lower' opposition in Feb/March for example.

Let's look at Middlesbrough too:

• 4 more games against top 8 opposition (3 home 1 away)
  • 4 more games against top 12 opposition (1 home 3 away)

So looking at this, we have 10 games against top half opposition, Boro 8 and Derby 7. Our run in on paper is tougher than both and that's where even a decent run might see us squeezed out if Derby and Boro have a good run in.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could get it sooner than that Major.

Way the season is panning out, with 2 sides in such form- could be a playoff decider, for the last place.

One of the key games last day of season? Hull-Us, at their place.

Yeah, we end the season with Derby at home then Hull away. Could that be some squeaky bum time or what?

No matter how the season pans out, the last few games have reignited my love of watching Bristol City and going to the Gate on a Saturday.  It’s was definitely needed.  I’m enjoying the positivity and watching a competitive team playing for each other.  Long may it continue.

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

My impression is that Fam is better suited to away games. Possibly with the opposition having more possession & a bit more space in behind the defence.

The other factor may be less pressure from the fans compared to playing at AG. These things can affect certain players, and Fam might be one of them.

No his simply not a great striker end of.... 

28 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

What part of him isn't a great striker? I can't wait to find out... 

His movement is abysmal and never runs the channels in to the holes or makes space, his touch is the worst I've seen in sometime at this level and very rarely wins a head when evenly matched. First impressions last and I clearly remember him slamming the upright 8yrds out with the keeper to beat against FC Twente and that set the trend and in my eyes will never change. 5milion for a very average striker and are weakest link. We all see the game differently and have different opinions and mine is honest and fair. Hopefully he proves me wrong when it all matters.

5 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

His movement is abysmal and never runs the channels in to the holes or makes space, his touch is the worst I've seen in sometime at this level and very rarely wins a head when evenly matched. First impressions last and I clearly remember him slamming the upright 8yrds out with the keeper to beat against FC Twente and that set the trend and in my eyes will never change. 5milion for a very average striker and are weakest link. We all see the game differently and have different opinions and mine is honest and fair. Hopefully he proves me wrong when it all matters.

He's not the sort of striker who runs into channels and makes space, trying to base your opinion off of him off of those attributes is pointless. What he does do is he scores goals, for 5 million pounds (not a lot of money nowadays, Sunderland spend 4 on will grigg!) his goalscoring record is excellent, he doesn't have a quality all round game but if he did he wouldn't be here. 

If we sold him now we'd get at least our money back, if not more

• Admin
4 hours ago, phantom said:

Let's get in the top two, 10 points behind with a game in hand - turning around a 7 point deficit between now and the end of the season is very doable 

Everybody is doing it and writing off the game in hand as won. We do realise that game is Boro away right?

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He's not the sort of striker who runs into channels and makes space, trying to base your opinion off of him off of those attributes is pointless. What he does do is he scores goals, for 5 million pounds (not a lot of money nowadays, Sunderland spend 4 on will grigg!) his goalscoring record is excellent, he doesn't have a quality all round game but if he did he wouldn't be here. 

If we sold him now we'd get at least our money back, if not more

Sorry m8 don't agree as a striker running into space in a natural thing like knowing where the back of the net is he can do neither and his touch is shocking. He's scored 9 so far with 0 assists he's a total confidence player which means we carry him more often than not and if we're to keep that 6th spot or higher he needs to do the simple things a whole lot better than anything I've seen. 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Everybody is doing it and writing off the game in hand as won. We do realise that game is Boro away right?

Like us, Boro are where they are due to their away results, their home form is similar to ours - they are 14th in the home table and we are 15th.

And they have scored just 14 goals at home all season (only 9 conceded though).

Last 8 at home they've won 2, drawn 4, lost 2 and scored 7 and conceded 7.

Given our away form, I think we have a good chance of 3 points up there.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Like us, Boro are where they are due to their away results, their home form is similar to ours - they are 14th in the home table and we are 15th.

And they have scored just 14 goals at home all season (only 9 conceded though).

Last 8 at home they've won 2, drawn 4, lost 2 and scored 7 and conceded 7.

Given our away form, I think we have a good chance of 3 points up there.

I agree. We have a good chance. But I don't see much talk of "if" we win, more talk of the gap being 7 points. I'd say the smart money would be on the draw.

Archived