IGNORED

Good News for a U.K. and Ireland World cup, coming here in 2030

Never to the dark side

3 hours ago, Gakoe said:

Qatar wasn’t politically suitable when they were awarded it H R. Anyway it’d be disrespectful to all the young lads who have lost their lives during construction to not hold it there.  

Financial "suitability" trumps political suitability.

1 hour ago, cidercity said:

Why have we always got to involve Ireland, they are a different bloody country. We would not involve France or Germany if we didn't have too.

Obviously I mean the Republic.

There are plenty of people in Britain who don't realise that! Personally I'm always happy to collaborate constructively with our neighbours. It's clear that the only way England will ever get another World Cup is a joint bid. FIFA hate you for some reason.

City getting a 40000 seater stadium sounds good on paper but how would we fill it? I would hate to sit in it with 27000 people as it would still be empty. We would have to be in the premier league and even then Burnley at home is going to be a struggle. Anyway aren't we forgetting there is another ground in Bristol that regularly gets 40000 attendances according to their fans, already has hospitality tents and has championship ready sprinklers. 

On 08/02/2019 at 05:06, cidercity1987 said:

What's the chances we'd be the biggest city without games. Very high I'd have thought. 

Last time there was a possibility of the WC in this country, it was decided the pool games would be played in the regions of England. It was then announced that the MK stadium would be placed in the South West for that purpose. Methinks someone somewhere had already favoured MK over Bristol.

AG was considered for 1966, but turned down as we only had a stand of the ground, not two. Euro 96, all games were allocated to Prem grounds. Dunno why, Switzerland v Croatia could have been accommodated at AG or even Home Park and then the tournament would have been spread round the country.

Was interested by this earlier and needed an excuse to not do work so came up with a possible/probable list of host venues for a 2030 British and Irish World Cup, based on a minimum capacity of 40000 and maximum spread of venues (and assuming that any planned expansion or construction works go ahead over the next 11 years, which I think is reasonable if there were the additional catalyst of hosting a World Cup):

• Wembley Stadium - London (90000 capacity)

• Old Trafford - Manchester (75957 capacity, possible expansion to 88000)

• Millenium Stadium - Cardiff (74500 capacity)

• New White Hart Lane - London (62062 capacity)

• Etihad Stadium - Manchester (55097 capacity, expansion to 61000)

• Celtic Park - Glasgow (60411 capacity)

• Anfield - Liverpool (54167 capacity, expansion to 59000)

• St. James’ Park - Newcastle (52387 capacity)

• Hampden Park - Glasgow (51866 capacity)

• Aviva Stadium - Dublin (51700 capacity)

• Elland Road - Leeds (39460 capacity, expansion to 51000)

• Villa Park - Birmingham (42788 capacity, expansion to 50000)

• St. Mary’s Stadium - Southampton (32689 capacity, expansion to 50000)

• Hillsborough Stadium - Sheffield (39732 capacity, expansion to 45000)

• New Northern Ireland Stadium - Belfast (40000 capacity)

• Portman Road - Ipswich (30311, expansion to 40000)

I don’t think there’s any feasible way of expanding Ashton Gate to 40000 capacity, and even if there were, it would be a huge financial outlay given that we likely wouldn’t fill it. Add in the fact that we’re close to Cardiff and I can’t see us hosting any games

1 minute ago, FlintSaidNo said:

Was interested by this earlier and needed an excuse to not do work so came up with a possible/probable list of host venues for a 2030 British and Irish World Cup, based on a minimum capacity of 40000 and maximum spread of venues (and assuming that any planned expansion or construction works go ahead over the next 11 years, which I think is reasonable if there were the additional catalyst of hosting a World Cup):

I don’t think there’s any feasible way of expanding Ashton Gate to 40000 capacity, and even if there were, it would be a huge financial outlay given that we likely wouldn’t fill it. Add in the fact that we’re close to Cardiff and I can’t see us hosting any games

You missed out the mem. It's quick and easy to fling a few extra tents about.

3 hours ago, FlintSaidNo said:

FIFA like to spread the games around, take the carnival to more cities. There wont be two venues in Glasgow, nor two venues in Manchester.

More likely somewhere like Plymouth get games, as was the plan with the 2018 bid. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bid

55 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

FIFA like to spread the games around, take the carnival to more cities. There wont be two venues in Glasgow, nor two venues in Manchester.

More likely somewhere like Plymouth get games, as was the plan with the 2018 bid. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bid

Expansion of Home Park looking unlikely nowadays though, particularly to that extent. Could replace one of the venues in each of those cities with two out of an expanded Molineux, expanded Ewood Park or Stadium of Light though

On 08/02/2019 at 03:40, Gakoe said:

Only 64 years since the last one then? Amazing. Surely it’s Germany’s turn again?

FiFA World Cup criteria involve a boundary of a kilometre around each stadium......despite England having many stadiums large enough to host WC matches very few, other than Wembley have enough room around their stadiums to meet the regulations.

Thats why host countries are awarded years in advance and why England haven’t had a WC since 1966

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

They are only "discussing a joint bid". They haven't made one yet.

I personally think it very unlikely that Fifa would grant 5 countries automatic qualification as hosts.

Not sure that would be such an issue after they go to 48 team world cups

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

FiFA World Cup criteria involve a boundary of a kilometre around each stadium......despite England having many stadiums large enough to host WC matches very few, other than Wembley have enough room around their stadiums to meet the regulations.

Thats why host countries are awarded years in advance and why England haven’t had a WC since 1966

Is that the criteria? Any idea when that come into force?

Archived