IGNORED

Plastics / Day trippers

David Brent

Me and Mrs Jacko were sat on the bench just by the shop entrance pre-match.  Whilst Mrs Jacko conducted herself with great decorum ? as usual, I just smoked a couple of tabs, necked some Haze and broke wind as discreetly as I could.  We saw many parents coming out of the shop and unbagging the replica shirts before putting them on the kids.  At least a couple of dozen 3-10 year olds were getting kitted out in the half hour that we were sat there.  It was lovely to see, but I hope the parents understand that they're potentially exposing the nippers to many, many happy years of unbridled hope, optimism and wonder - sprinkled with the occasional little let down season!  Future fans………. they really have very little choice now!

COYR

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Completely agree , but to attract these fans back we have to seriously address our potd match prices !

Totally agree. I'm not a newbie, but since moving away from Bristol, have to pick my games, so a ST is out of the question. POTD prices are just insane in my opinion. I cannot justify spending £35 on a ticket to watch football, when I then have to factor in the other costs (travel/food/drink). 

2 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Completely agree , but to attract these fans back we have to seriously address our potd match prices !

How do you know..?

Maybe they are used to attending concerts, theatre shows, premiership matches or just usually do drinking in Clifton and would think that £30ish for an occasional match ticket was particularly pricey at all. 

51 minutes ago, Midred said:

Up in the upper Lansdown there were half a dozen lads that were sat on the padded seats. They turned up 10 minutes after kick off, left 10 minutes before half time and were again 10 minutes late for the second half! 

Like a fair proportion of the season ticket holders do at every league game..?! 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Had 5 rugger types in front of me that kept me amused all game.

Constantly complaining about how shite our support was...then said it was like watching footy in the film Cacoon ??

Then one started giving the last rights to a wolves player in Latin.

All bought shirts in club shop to wear over their Barbour shirts...

Put them on in seats.

Kept me amused all game ?

The Latin was impressive, but complaining about older fans was well out of order. Maybe not singing, but some of us oldies have been watching City for a very long time, through thick and very thin, and some of us still watch almost every game, home and away. 

4 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

It was 24,000 in today? 5000 more they Tuesday, but with approximately 2,800 more away fans? Surely there can’t of been that many day trippers or newbies in? 

Lets be honest, our crowds have grown substantially in the past 3-4 years. Also, if we are lucky enough to be a PL club come August, then we’d better expect a lot more “day trippers” to start visiting BS3.

I think it was clear to see today that for whatever reason a lot of season ticket holders didn't attend. 

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think it was clear to see today that for whatever reason a lot of season ticket holders didn't attend. 

We tend to use cup games to try out different seats, different perspectives on the pitch. I know other groups of season ticket holders who do the same. Could be that most season ticket holders did go, but that you've still got a lot of unfamiliar faces around?

10 hours ago, sephjnr said:

First-timers / people who can rarely get to games I have no issue with.

"Lads" who are only there on the piss, don't bother checking what seats they're in and look like they pay more attention to the away end than the pitch can do one.

Christ there are some kn0bs on this forum. If you have a problem with lads who want to have a day out on the piss watching City what a sad *** you are.

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

Why is it alright to take a picture of a stranger then post it on here? 

Very odd.

How do you know it’s a stranger? Might just be a selfie ? @RedLionLad ?

And what about the “pikey” as he’s been described by some selling the half and half scarves - why do they cause so much offence - the scarves? Did you feel for him when his photo was posted?

I’m offended. For all those who ought to be offended. But aren’t.

I also feel for all those “plastics” who sat around us and had to listen to our Ruddy baiting. They must have thought what the **** is this all about.

Especially the bloke who seemed to spend the entire game filming it on a camcorder....

Anyway hard luck boys. Top Two is on mind.....

Have a mate at the university of Bristol who went down to the gate for the first time yesterday. Said he really enjoyed the game and would definitely go back and watch a few more as he thought we were really exciting to watch. So yea, definitely does more good than harm.

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

How do you know..?

Maybe they are used to attending concerts, theatre shows, premiership matches or just usually do drinking in Clifton and would think that £30ish for an occasional match ticket was particularly pricey at all. 

Get what you’re saying, but I’m not a fan on rugby so wouldn’t pay £30 for an occasional match, where as I would concider paying £15 like the Birmingham match next week

Took my daughter yesterday, she used to be a season ticket holder until she became a mum herself 18 months ago, she was really impressed with everything and had a great time. 

I am sure there may have been others in there yesterday who can’t be regulars but you wouldn’t consider “plastics”. 

For my part I wa pleasantly surprised to find we could get tickets and stay in Section 82, it used to be that they wouldn’t sell tockets in the unreserved section. It wa also the busiest and loudest it has been for a while, especially in the 2nd half. 

Some couldn't seem to get the concept of unreserved seating though and were miffed to find people had taken their positions when they were late back from the half time refreshments. 

8 hours ago, Chappers said:

The Latin was impressive, but complaining about older fans was well out of order. Maybe not singing, but some of us oldies have been watching City for a very long time, through thick and very thin, and some of us still watch almost every game, home and away. 

The silly thing was the complaint came from one of them who was clearly of retirement age himself....and was just sat moaning.

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

How do you know..?

Hmmmm ... because the attendance figures are released at every game and guess what cheaper tickets v wolves = higher attendance ...

4 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Hmmmm ... because the attendance figures are released at every game and guess what cheaper tickets v wolves = higher attendance ...

The highest attendances have been at games with the highest ticket prices, actually. 

10 hours ago, Akira said:

Totally agree. I'm not a newbie, but since moving away from Bristol, have to pick my games, so a ST is out of the question. POTD prices are just insane in my opinion. I cannot justify spending £35 on a ticket to watch football, when I then have to factor in the other costs (travel/food/drink). 

I mentioned this to my brother after we played WBA a few years ago at The Hawthorns in the Cup. £10 a ticket and a full house, clubs should do it more often I said. All fair and well till he pointed out that when James Morrison earns 50k a week (at the time) then suddenly the income of 50k from (ticket sales at) a 25,000 attendance doesn't look so great....

Sad really as football should be an affordable pasttime but we all know why it isn't anymore. 

15 hours ago, David Brent said:

Thought I’d have a scroll of Twitter and read the positive reaction to today’s game...

Only to see a fair few amount of City fans complaining about ‘plastics’ and ‘day trippers’ and asking that they stay away from Ashton Gate in future. What a disappointing and depressing view. I loved the fact that we had almost 25K inside the ground, especially so for a televised game. 

If today was my first visit then I would absolutely be back again. We’ve made a lot of progress in the last couple of years and I’m proud that more and more people want to come and watch City.

Absolutely spot on. I get there will be mixed views about it but even if that game attracts 1 new fan who going forward becomes passionate and spreads the BCFC word, who attends more games or buys merchandise or even a ST one day then how on earth can that be a bad thing?  Our club absolutely needs people like this to survive (and hopefully they don't become another Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal fan).

Personally, I think people who have the view they should stay away are stuck in the past.

Really can't understand the mentality of "Daytrippers and Plastic". Who cares when we have a 27,000 capacity stadium which still only attracted circa 24,000 people. If the "Daytrippers & Plastics" want to but a ticket, frequent the bars, buy food and maybe make a purchase in the club shop how is that a bad thing ? Surely we want our profile to increase to attract more people. If a few then become fans and buy a season ticket or just attend a few more games then that's great IMO.

I remember seeing City play against Liverpool (I seem to recall) at AG sometime in the early 70's and we had 34,000 turn up. How many have travelled to see us in some of the Tin Pot trophies at Wembley & Cardiff ?  40k plus ?  Playoff Final ? 40k plus ? Bristol has the population to attract a decent crowd but regrettably we've not had a team capable of huge success. Wouldn't it be great to beat our attendance record of 43,335 against PNE in the cup circa 1935 or would we get upset because we perceive 20,000 of them to be Plastics ?  Time to grow up and move on.

3 hours ago, Icelandic Clap said:

I mentioned this to my brother after we played WBA a few years ago at The Hawthorns in the Cup. £10 a ticket and a full house, clubs should do it more often I said. All fair and well till he pointed out that when James Morrison earns 50k a week (at the time) then suddenly the income of 50k from (ticket sales at) a 25,000 attendance doesn't look so great....

Sad really as football should be an affordable pasttime but we all know why it isn't anymore. 

I think you'll find that the gate income would be £250,000.  So enough to fund 5 James Morrisons (no never heard of him) or perhaps fund  a squad of 25 BCFC players at a more realistic  £10k each?

I take you point though - I think that wage levels should be capped based on gate receipts.

1 hour ago, Nongazeuse said:

I think you'll find that the gate income would be £250,000.  So enough to fund 5 James Morrisons (no never heard of him) or perhaps fund  a squad of 25 BCFC players at a more realistic  £10k each?

I take you point though - I think that wage levels should be capped based on gate receipts.

My bad on the math, never my strong point. 

1 hour ago, Nongazeuse said:

That’s because he’s undiscovered ?

Archived