IGNORED

will Lee leave us for a Prem League team?

reddogkev

Found myself thinking about the candidates who might be interested in the Leicester job, and for a split second wondered if Lee would be tempted to throw his name in the hat.

Whilst I don't imagine Lee would apply for the Foxes job at this moment, would he be tempted to leave City for a Prem League role in the future?  

The simple answer is yes, of course he would, but it's a bit more complex than that, when faced with the challenge of managing another club in the Prem, without job security or the experience of that level.  Would Lee apply for a job with a Premier League team, or is his heart set on leading City to the top?  Would it be wise for Lee to give up the security of having unlimited time working under a billionaire, for the short-term risk of the top flight?

As his stock continues to rise, if City don't win promotion, it won't be long until a bigger team comes calling, and we may well find out the answer to this question.

What are your thoughts?

Brendan Rodgers, Sean Dyche and Rafa Benitez are already being talked about with regards to the Leicester job....LJ couldn’t live with their track records....he needs to have some serious achievements on his CV before he is taken seriously by the tier above....at this moment in time he probably has a rising reputation - but that’s it.....not enough for a premier league club to take a punt just yet, but that’s just my opinion....

I believe it’ll become increasingly less likely for lower league managers to get Prem jobs unless they are already a ‘name’. 

With the amount of money you make from staying in the Prem clubs are more likely to go for safer options, the likes of Big Sam, to keep them up. Or coaches from abroad with good reputations. 

The likes of LJ won’t really have many chances, unless he takes us up and keeps us up. He’s a relatively unknown in the wider world. If you were a Leicester fan for example, you’d likely be happier with a Lampard than an LJ, even though LJ has been doing better. 

Sad state of affairs really.

It’s an interesting one but I think until he achieves something like a promotion he wouldn’t get a job at a decent Premier League club. I can’t think of anyone who has. 

He might get offered something like Brighton if that job ever came up but certainly no bigger.  There is no precedent for it unless anyone can correct me on that.

Saying that you never know if a chairman will take a punt.  

Leicester fans want Brendan Rodgers or Rafa Benitez. They’d be furious if they appointment Lee. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Brendan Rodgers, Sean Dyche and Rafa Benitez are already being talked about with regards to the Leicester job....LJ couldn’t live with their track records....he needs to have some serious achievements on his CV before he is taken seriously by the tier above....at this moment in time he probably has a rising reputation - but that’s it.....not enough for a premier league club to take a punt just yet, but that’s just my opinion....

Going to have to ‘like’ yours as we made the same point at the same time!

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Found myself thinking about the candidates who might be interested in the Leicester job, and for a split second wondered if Lee would be tempted to throw his name in the hat.

Whilst I don't imagine Lee would apply for the Foxes job at this moment, would he be tempted to leave City for a Prem League role in the future?  

The simple answer is yes, of course he would, but it's a bit more complex than that, when faced with the challenge of managing another club in the Prem, without job security or the experience of that level.  Would Lee apply for a job with a Premier League team, or is his heart set on leading City to the top?  Would it be wise for Lee to give up the security of having unlimited time working under a billionaire, for the short-term risk of the top flight?

As his stock continues to rise, if City don't win promotion, it won't be long until a bigger team comes calling, and we may well find out the answer to this question.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? As you asked:

Surprised you started a thread considering a thought which crossed your mind “for a split second”.

It’s a no-goer for the time being.

Warm regards

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

True, he wouldn't seem to stand a chance when you look at the other names mentioned (although who was Craig Shakespeare before he took the job?) but do you think Lee would consider applying for such a post, and if he did, how would it be received by Lansdown?

Like any job, he's free to apply for other roles, but would he want to take such a risk and piss off the powers that be here?

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

My thoughts? As you asked:

Surprised you started a thread considering a thought which crossed your mind “for a split second”.

It’s a no-goer for the time being.

Warm regards

Your response has given me a genuine chuckle, top man!

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Out of the three managers you mentioned probably only dyche would fancy that job and Leicester would want a bigger name I’m guessing,spot on regarding lee

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

True, he wouldn't seem to stand a chance when you look at the other names mentioned (although who was Craig Shakespeare before he took the job?) but do you think Lee would consider applying for such a post, and if he did, how would it be received by Lansdown?

Like any job, he's free to apply for other roles, but would he want to take such a risk and piss off the powers that be here?

Again, just my opinion, but I don’t think LJ would be actively applying for other jobs at the moment....but he may have his head turned if another club approached him....I think he could be attracted to other championship clubs too, if he wants to wait for a premier league club to grab him he could have a long wait.....simply because his CV contains no concrete achievements at this moment in time...

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It’s an interesting one but I think until he achieves something like a promotion he wouldn’t get a job at a decent Premier League club. I can’t think of anyone who has. 

He might get offered something like Brighton if that job ever came up but certainly no bigger.  There is no precedent for it unless anyone can correct me on that.

Leicester fans want Brendan Rodgers or Rafa Benitez. They’d be furious if they appointment Lee. 

Good points, although Carlos Carvahal (sp) was given the job at Swansea despite not getting Sheff Weds promoted, though without digging into his CV now, I can't recall who else Carlos managed prior to this.

As much as I'd be disappointed if Lee left, would also enjoy it to see the reaction of the media / fans etc.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Good points, although Carlos Carvahal (sp) was given the job at Swansea despite not getting Sheff Weds promoted, though without digging into his CV now, I can't recall who else Carlos managed prior to this.

As much as I'd be disappointed if Lee left, would also enjoy it to see the reaction of the media / fans etc.

Swansea were at last chance saloon and got relegated under him,last I saw he was doing a bit of work for sky so it didn’t do his career anygood 

I don't think any prem club would look at Lee yet. Listen to most pundits and you will hear them say he's doing a good job but our results are very up and down. Our collapse last season is as well noted as the previous good run. Some are predicting a similar outcome this season.

Get us promoted and do what Brighton or Burnley have done and then he might be seriously considered by the lower prem clubs. Can't see it yet though.

He clearly has the self-belief to want to test himself well beyond Bristol City, but I also believe he has an affinity to us that would make it very hard for him to work for another English team - and rightly so given the loyalty the owner has showed him. I have a very strong hunch that if and when he does leave, it will be to a foreign team. He's even made explicit comments recently about the need for English coaches to work and be tested abroad, and I'd bet money that if he has got one eye on his next job, it will be overseas.

43 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Going to have to ‘like’ yours as we made the same point at the same time!

I think it could depend if a premier league chairman would want a similar project to what we're doing here or a similar brand of football. Some premier league clubs put as much into manager recruitment as they do players and could see LJ coming out quite high in some searches. 

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

I think it could depend if a premier league chairman would want a similar project to what we're doing here or a similar brand of football. Some premier league clubs put as much into manager recruitment as they do players and could see LJ coming out quite high in some searches. 

Can you name a similar appointment made by a Premier League club though?  Is Johnson going to break new ground?

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Can you name a similar appointment made by a Premier League club though?  Is Johnson going to break new ground?

Whether its Johnson or not I wouldn't be surprised if the PL managerial merry go round stopped soon, think clubs are starting to look elsewhere, Huddersfield going to Dortmund for their last few for example. So wouldn't be surprised for mid table prem teams to look at promising championship managers.

Sounds a bit mad but I don't think Leicester would be a big enough pull. A huge club yes but LJ would rather stay here and get us to that level rather than go to a club like Leicester and be sacked in 6 months if it goes pear shaped. I don't think they'd keep him on after 8 winless games... 

Plus hasn't it been said he's had chances to leave already but hasn't. Not sure what chances those were. I'd assume assistant manager jobs within the top half of the prem or bigger clubs abroad. I just think LJ has now invested to much of his time and effort in to us to leave it unfinished. The only way he'll leave will be with a P45. 

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Out of the three managers you mentioned probably only dyche would fancy that job and Leicester would want a bigger name I’m guessing,spot on regarding lee

I think that Rodgers will fancy that job, has done all he can at Celtic the only problem being will Leicester want to wait until the summer as I can't see him leaving Celtic now.

It is utterly fanciful to believe that an established PL club would be interested in a Championship HC who, at this point, has achieved nothing.

Conversely getting to the play offs and even not winning them would add something of significance to his CV - but as things stand, no chance.

I don’t believe for one second he has plans to leave currently BUT, if we stay in this league for next season and he is not given significant backing that could change.

His comments earlier this season about it can’t be all about the future, was telling and completely understandable.

I think, like us, he has some frustrations and maybe getting top six deserves, in his head, some further backing, something I would not disagree with.

I think he is learning and he has done very well this year top 6 or not, but there is no way he is on the radar of a PL club quite yet.

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

What are your thoughts?

1. I think he enjoys the security of his current job.

2. I think Bristol City is the biggest and best club he will manage.

Let's be honest, and this isn't meant as a knock, but his record is very up and down. Goes on long good runs, but also long losing ones as well. He also hasn't won anything as a manager/coach.

Eddie Howe was mentioned as one manager who "might be able to make the step up", but nobody ever took a chance on him, presumably as he had no experience at that level. He has since proved that he can do it in the Premiership, but he had to get Bournemouth up to be able to prove that.

With the risks so high financially at that level, clubs don't have time to risk on potential in managers. Also if Lee had one of his bad runs at the top level, he'd be gone after 5-6 losses on the bounce (if not before).

If he was to leave us to manage higher, then I think top level Championship is the best he could achieve.

He won't go anywhere anytime soon.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ has said he’d love to manage in the PL - with Bristol City.

He has a project to achieve just that and I seriously doubt he’d go anywhere, least if all to an average PL outfit with less than patient owners.

My view too. I think he will be here for the foreseeable future. He will want to complete his project and SL will be wanting to be seen as right in keeping faith in him. It’s a win win for both.

Not sure what the situation is with Leicester now, obviously they will want to be seen to carrying on the legacy but if they aren’t in love with football as they once were, and who can blame them, then a manager like Lee might be the cheap option for them if they don’t want to pay for a bigger name who will also bring greater expectation. I think they have peaked, can’t compete regularly so what now, just Premiership survival every season maybe?

For differing reasons any of LJ, Bielsa and maybe Wilder and Farke could be deemed worthy of consideration.

Bielsa because of his experience of top flights and big jobs especially. Bilbao, Marseille, Argentina, Chile- he's a bit off the wall let's say though but I would be surprised if PL clubs aren't considering him.

As for LJ? Too soon probably. Same would go for Wilder and Farke. Of Championship managers, I'd suggest Bielsa is one who would be most likely to attract PL or other top tier interest from Europe at this time. Farke too soon as well and Wilder despite his miracles at Sheff Utd, would he be seen as sufficiently glamorous?

Archived