Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

'Orns

Happy Louis Donowa Day

Loudest I ever heard Ashton gate and the only time I ever lost my voice at a football match

• Like 4

Loved that game, I was there bouncing around, I am generally happy about there only being one team in Bristol now, but I do missed the true derby days and it being a competitive match. For me Cardiff or any other "derby" is not the same feeling I used to get when we played the gas. 

• Like 2

After queuing for about 20 minutes ‘Plod’ decided the East End was full! I, along with several others, had to climb over the gates at the back. Wouldn’t have been able to manage it without help from the stewards. Only time I got into AG without paying - so far. What a night!

• Like 1

Was in b block of the dolman right at the back, ended up half way down after that goal went in, was trying to explain the atmosphere to my 2 lads a while back , sadly I don’t think their ever experience anything like it nowerdays, games changed.

• Like 2

An unbelievable night, only beaten by Coventry away in ‘77, it seemed they had the sign over us for many seasons til that night, nothing like a last minute winner in a Derby

30 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Was in b block of the dolman right at the back, ended up half way down after that goal went in, was trying to explain the atmosphere to my 2 lads a while back , sadly I don’t think their ever experience anything like it nowerdays, games changed.

To be fair, the noise when Korey's goal against United, and Joe Bryan's against Rovers in the JPT come quite close. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

To be fair, the noise when Korey's goal against United, and Joe Bryan's against Rovers in the JPT come quite close. 

Close , roberts goal against Hartlepool must be up there with it.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I thought Donowa was great when I was a kid, was he actually decent?

Weird that he played in Spain, Holland, Finland and Scotland!

Yes when roberts scored against hartlepool i dont recall the refs name but he said this.

Ive reffed at the nou camp, wembley, anfield etc but ive never heard noise like that when bristol city scored thier second goal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes when roberts scored against hartlepool i dont recall the refs name but he said this.

Ive reffed at the nou camp, wembley, anfield etc but ive never heard noise like that when bristol city scored thier second goal.

Careful, we’re starting to sound like Rovers fans

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That was Graham Poll;

''There has been much debate over the past couple of weeks about the validity and fairness of the play-offs. Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool.

Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final''

the above is taken from an interview that Graham Poll did with the daily Telegraph, enough said really

Edited by cider hoss rules
added extra
  • Like 10

That was a fantastic night.  Up until then I'd had to take quite a lot of shit from both of the gasheads at school and they got both barrels after that.  Don't hear from them much these days...

• Haha 1

My mate is a leyton orient fan and he came in the dolman with me when basso saved a penalty against watford in 2008 i think?

He said he never heard noise like that too.

Dunno if anyone remembers that but it was one of the best saves ive seen.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Louie Donowa not Louis

Correct. I'm gonna blame spell check on that. No way I'd get the great mans name wrong!

Edited by Woodsy

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

My mate is a leyton orient fan and he came in the dolman with me when basso saved a penalty against watford in 2008 i think?

It was some pretty sexy football, no surpises you and your mate were aroused.

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

Correct. I'm gonna blame spell check on that. No way I'd get the great means name wrong!

His real first name.....Brian!

• Haha 1

was this the game when the gates between the Dolman and open end gave way due to the amount of people, allowing a load in for free (including me, I spent the game watching it on Dolman steps as no seats were available), or was it the year after?

For me will always be on a par with United last season. Was in the open end coins flying everywhere incredible atmosphere!

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I thought Donowa was great when I was a kid, was he actually decent?

Weird that he played in Spain, Holland, Finland and Scotland!

My memories of him was that he was pretty hopeless, but he was ‘our’ hopeless. His lack of everything is certainly forgiven because of that goal, and he will go down in history and rightly so.

I was certainly squashed in the Eastend that night.

2 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Close , roberts goal against Hartlepool must be up there with it.

I think if I really had to pick, that goal is the one that does it for me.

• Like 1

A memorable night indeed. I was in the section of the East End right behind the goal - absolute mayhem after the penalty save and more so after Donowa’s winner. It was very satisfying to beat them after a few years when they had kicked and elbowed their way to results against us.  When Andy Leaning saved Hollowhead’s penalty there was just that feeling it was going to be our night.

For what it’s worth, I remember Donowa as a decent enough player and a good crosser. I might be wrong but I can’t recall him being with us for long. 

My first ever Bristol derby, standing in the East end as a 12 year old! Certainly made school more fun in Kingswood the next day after years of having to put up with their constant gloating!

59 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

can a clever person put the goal up please .

2 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

That was Graham Poll;

''There has been much debate over the past couple of weeks about the validity and fairness of the play-offs. Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool.

Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final''

the above is taken from an interview that Graham Poll did with the daily Telegraph, enough said really

Has anyone every said anything remotely similar about the Mem regarding noise?

No, didn’t think so...

Dopey Darrell was in the Hartlepool team that night. He. probably burst into tears in the dressing room after. In all the time he was at the Sags I doubt he ever experienced noise and an atmosphere like that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Offside said:

A memorable night indeed. I was in the section of the East End right behind the goal - absolute mayhem after the penalty save and more so after Donowa’s winner. It was very satisfying to beat them after a few years when they had kicked and elbowed their way to results against us.  When Andy Leaning saved Hollowhead’s penalty there was just that feeling it was going to be our night.

For what it’s worth, I remember Donowa as a decent enough player and a good crosser. I might be wrong but I can’t recall him being with us for long. 

From my brief glance at wiki earlier I think he played one season for us in this division then joined Birmingham. 

He played for Deportivo De La Coruna at one point!

Edited by mozo

One of the great nights. 

I was 15 at the time and went absolutely mental when that goal went in. 

That night is in my top 3 City games, might even be the number 1. The fact that that **** Holloway missed his penalty made it just about perfect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

That was a fantastic night.  Up until then I'd had to take quite a lot of shit from both of the gasheads at school and they got both barrels after that.  Don't hear from them much these days...

I'm really not surprised, surely after 28 years they have left the school HOWEVER on the other hand ?

One of my top 3 memories as most of mates were Gas and they had the upper hand on us as we hadn't beat them for what seemed like ages.  Ran on the pitch at the end of game and hugged Aizlewood and he told me to calm down as was only a game.  I always knew he was a wrong un.

Funny as was from Keynsham and at the time my local was Wingrove and they'd  take a coach to some away games and we'd take a car but years behind me were mostly City.  No idea what Keynsham is like for City/Rovers split these days though?

• Like 2

Fantastic night/just looked at the highlights and got a shiver down my spine/ We hadn’t beating the funny people for yrs and to beat them in the last minute was extra extra special/ I always remember looking up into the grandstand from where I was in the park end and saw some old boy pointing his walking stick at the funny ones chanting 1-0 1-0 1-0 and basically going mental as we all were! Happy days.

Always went out to Trumpton and obviously the home games against the funny ones so that night is right there up with the best games for me ever!

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Is this on YouTube anywhere?

Look what I found. 
For those with patience and/or are interested , the full match  with commentary from Phil Tottle, but don't let that put you off.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Still my most treasured football memory.  In the open end right next to they lot!  Thought Louie had messed it up, only for the ball to pop up and head it in!  We hadn’t beaten them in the league for many moons!  OTIB!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

On the subject of that we must hold the record for jailed players?

Wont name names but i can think of 5.

No chance. HMP Slade wins hands down. 

My lasting memory was city fans chanting city are back ,city are back as we we’re pilling out the dolman stand giving  it to rovers big time down below 

Edited by sticks 1969
  • Like 1

:sleeping:     How sad is it to post a thread about beating the Gas 28 years ago........ffs...........:disapointed2se:

• Haha 1