Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

21 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

The assertation was that we are light at CB.

That is patently not the case.

I didn't say any of the players were of the standard of Kalas.

I didn't claim any of them to be Prem standard, you have changed what you were saying.

Also said "present team" and said "well Kalas is gone in the summer" (paraphrasing)...

I understand that you didn't say that any of those players were of the standard of Kalas. What you implied was that, if Kalas was not here, we would not be weakened by his departure  or, that we would be as strong. I believe we would be considerably worse off, until and a big if, any of those players became as good as Kalas. Sadly that is what happens to our club, one step forward and three quarters of a step backwards. Hopefully we will produce enough players in one season that we can keep hold of, to take us to the promised land.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I understand that you didn't say that any of those players were of the standard of Kalas. What you implied was that, if Kalas was not here, we would not be weakened by his departure  or, that we would be as strong. I believe we would be considerably worse off, until and a big if, any of those players became as good as Kalas. Sadly that is what happens to our club, one step forward and three quarters of a step backwards. Hopefully we will produce enough players in one season that we can keep hold of, to take us to the promised land.

No I didn't.

I said we have depth.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:07, JamesBCFC said:

No I didn't.

I said we have depth.

So by stating we have depth, did you mean strength in depth or, just that we had depth?  Because it sure seemed as if you were implying by saying we had depth, that we'd be alright for CBs, as we have plenty of them.

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

So by stating we have depth, did you mean strength in depth or, just that we had depth?  Because it sure seemed as if you were implying by saying we had depth, that we'd be alright for CBs, as we have plenty of them.

I didn't claim that any are as good as Kalas, though he isn't our best CB. But Wright, Baker and even Kelly are capable to a good degree in the Championship, so while not as good (at this point in time) they are all more than adequate cover for CB.

I'd say that's probably reasonable strength in depth, if all of the players were at the level of Vyner or Moore at this point then it's just depth.

And, yes we are fine for CBs, especially as Hunt and Pisano have shown they can perform there in a pinch, do we need more than 7 players at the club who are good in that position?

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:07, JamesBCFC said:

No I didn't.

I said we have depth.

"Yeah, we only have Kelly, Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore who can step up". Is what you said.

Implying that any of those could "step up" as you put it without having a negative effect. I'm saying that even with those players, plus Pisano (who might depart anyway) and Hunt, we'd be weaker at CB. I'm not nit picking, just pointing out how good Kalas is, in my opinion, and he'd be very hard to replace, should we miss out on him.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

"Yeah, we only have Kelly, Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore who can step up". Is what you said.

Implying that any of those could "step up" as you put it without having a negative effect. I'm saying that even with those players, plus Pisano (who might depart anyway) and Hunt, we'd be weaker at CB. I'm not nit picking, just pointing out how good Kalas is, in my opinion, and he'd be very hard to replace, should we miss out on him.

"Step in" would probably have been better wording then. 

Equally, the players may not be as good as Kalas at this point in time, but that doesn't equal a negative effect. Player partnerships can make up for a drop off in quality of one individual.

Man for man the team would be a little weaker (more so if we're talking Moore or Vyner), but would the negative effect be particularly big? I doubt it. A handful of points over the season perhaps.

53 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

"Step in" would probably have been better wording then. 

Equally, the players may not be as good as Kalas at this point in time, but that doesn't equal a negative effect. Player partnerships can make up for a drop off in quality of one individual.

Man for man the team would be a little weaker (more so if we're talking Moore or Vyner), but would the negative effect be particularly big? I doubt it. A handful of points over the season perhaps.

Equally, it's surprising what one player can do for a team. Just imagine if we could have added one of, a top class striker, a good keeper, or a dominant goal scoring midfielder.