IGNORED

Grit - who has it?

Spike

Just a quick thought but if our squad who would you put in against that hard man, getting stuck in player on the opposition? 

I think Kalas is the only man in the squad that I can think of who would be capable of giving a good as he got. Are we missing a fighter? I used to think Korey brought a touch of that never say die and although I love Brownhill, Pack etc I don't think we have a single player in the middle of the park with that mentality. 

Who is the driving force when the players are on the pitch? Who's the motivator, the scraper etc? 

The whole club is missing the Grit, from the top down. That's why we make appointments of nice easy going people that don't have an edge, winners in other words. Very few of our players have the edge needed to go that little bit further. Cotterill had the edge and new what was needed in players to get over the line, so brought them in. Unfortunately he wasn't nice enough and wasn't the bosses appointment, so he was put in a position where he stood his ground and eventually had to go and was replaced by someone more palatable to the boss. As has been said, Kalas, Webster, Tayler and Korey have an edge, along with Frankie as the keeper, sadly two of those haven't the ability at this level to match their edge on a more regular basis.

We are just too soft when it comes to the 'dirty' stuff.

Who's in the face of the ref? Who's leading?

I like the fact we try to play the 'right way'...but when you are up against what we witnessed yesterday, then you have to compete in the same way, not just let it happen.

Leeds played like a bunch of Argentinians or Italians yesterday. Went 1 up then just frustrated us in any way they could.

The whole body language of the team is passive imo.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Just a quick thought but if our squad who would you put in against that hard man, getting stuck in player on the opposition? 

I think Kalas is the only man in the squad that I can think of who would be capable of giving a good as he got. Are we missing a fighter? I used to think Korey brought a touch of that never say die and although I love Brownhill, Pack etc I don't think we have a single player in the middle of the park with that mentality. 

Who is the driving force when the players are on the pitch? Who's the motivator, the scraper etc? 

No. The team misses the cultural architects that can carry out the tasks the manager wants each week. That is grit if you wish, to be able play in the same manner in spite of the challenges.

The game has move on its about technicians on the ball and having tactical nous to screen and press in different forms without the need for scrapping for possession.  

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Korey certainly has that 

Yeah as I mentioned, he's the only one that stands out in the midfield for me, I'd certainty like to have had him as an option yesterday, I think we miss him a lot at times. 

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

We are just too soft when it comes to the 'dirty' stuff.

Who's in the face of the ref? Who's leading?

I like the fact we try to play the 'right way'...but when you are up against what we witnessed yesterday, then you have to compete in the same way, not just let it happen.

Leeds played like a bunch of Argentinians or Italians yesterday. Went 1 up then just frustrated us in any way they could.

The whole body language of the team is passive imo.

Exactly what's bothering me. I love fair play but this is a game that doesn't see that often. The higher up the leagues you go the more you see the moaning at refs, embellishing dives and injuries, a few players on the pitch driving the team on. 

Our center backs are the only ones who seem to have the fight and determination but I don't think many of our players embellish much at all. 

31 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

No. The team misses the cultural architects that can carry out the tasks the manager wants each week. That is grit if you wish, to be able play in the same manner in spite of the challenges.

The game has move on its about technicians on the ball and having tactical nous to screen and press in different forms without the need for scrapping for possession.  

I know what you're saying but as an opposition player would you fear playing us? Would you be intimidated at all? 

If I was a midfielder playing against us I wouldnt be worried at all, none of our lads are going to get stuck in, they're just going to try and cut out the options. There's no intimidation at all. If a was a striker I'd be a little more concerned, you know against Kalas or Webster you're not going to get an easy game and that makes a big difference. 

Also this notion that the game has moved on is not true at all, look at Warnock and his Cardiff team, they made it to the Prem with pretty much nothing but gritty play. They are the teams that beat us, they make the game messy and hard for us to play our footbal and it works. We're yet to break down teams who drag the game down and make it hard work on a consistent basis. 

31 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Hunt, Pisano, Kalas, Korey Smith, Matty, Wright

I don't think Wright has it at all and of that list the only midfielder is Korey. I think we really miss having Korey as an option and based on how much football he has missed I worry his injuries may have a permanent effect on the rest of his career. 

51 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Bring back Ernie (Ginger) Peacock!

ernie-peacock-bristol-city-1958.jpg

1946–1959  343  Appearances.

Still remembered as a dirty player by an elderly Rovers fan of my acquaintance.

And described by the website below as having "the look and bearing of an evil 19th century mill owner."

https://beyondthelastman.com/2016/03/17/bristol-city-vintage-1958-73/

Now you are talking.  The hardest player I have ever seen in the red of City, and that includes Norman Hunter.

He and Ernie Pitt of Rovers were worth ten times the entrance money to local derbies on their own.

Pitt was one of the Rovers players who took football and PE at my school, and he treated little boys to the same tough no nonsense attitude he showed on the pitch. 

Didn't stop me saying I was a City man and Big John was my great hero

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

I know what you're saying but as an opposition player would you fear playing us? Would you be intimidated at all? 

If I was a midfielder playing against us I wouldnt be worried at all, none of our lads are going to get stuck in, they're just going to try and cut out the options. There's no intimidation at all. If a was a striker I'd be a little more concerned, you know against Kalas or Webster you're not going to get an easy game and that makes a big difference. 

Also this notion that the game has moved on is not true at all, look at Warnock and his Cardiff team, they made it to the Prem with pretty much nothing but gritty play. They are the teams that beat us, they make the game messy and hard for us to play our footbal and it works. We're yet to break down teams who drag the game down and make it hard work on a consistent basis. 

?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Yes the game has moved on. Teams run further, pass it more, play through the thirds more, players make far less tackles. Those are not notions, they are facts. Look at Cardiff … Well I would not unless the intent is to play like them and what they do in possession is to a degree now anachronistic. What Cardiff were doing out of possession is more modern pressing with players leaving lines proactively to outnumber the opposition aggressively. It is not intimidating. Its more suffocating the ball and space. . 

I know what you're saying but as an opposition player would you fear playing us? You can't intimidate teams any more Present challenges and questions yes. Fear no. 

Messy and hard was a consequence of the tactical ability of Leeds to make it that way. If you let City play? Well Leeds did not. Well done Leeds. Easy(ish) three points.

Yesterday Leeds tactically outdone Bristol City. It was not about bottle or mettle or whatever we call it. City couldn't keep the ball as a starter because the opposition posed questions set traps and City did not possess the guile to solve problems on the pitch, and off it Mr Johnson. 

It seems to me that there are 2 bristol City teams - the away team and the home team.

The away team seems able to put in the sort of "gritty" performances to get a result, often soaking up pressure you would expect playing away from home.

The home team doesn't.

I've commented many times before that LJ is a scientific coach, and I suspect he puts a lot of work into analysis of the opposition. For away games, when the onus is on the home team, I can see that his tactics will then probably contribute to that "gritty" type of performance and be effective. For home games we should be making the running and playing on the front foot, but if the tactics  and preparation focus too on the opposition, does it mean our players are going out with a  attitude of reacting to or countering the opposition rather than a positive one of imposing our game?

The second halves against Wolves and Brum showed a chalk and cheese team and that grit and fight, so much missed in each first half, were there. There does seem to be some sort of an issue with the way we have failed t run up in so many home games and I've said before that LJ needs to gibve his half time team talk before kick off.

Do these second half improvements coincide with Taylor coming on?

Although perhaps technically lacking, his movement, and eye for a telling pass, tends to create space for FD and allows the midfield to put better balls in to the box. Perhaps LJ should give him run of starts.

Archived