IGNORED

Can we exceed last season's points tally of 67?

headhunter

35 minutes ago, headhunter said:

It would appear I'm being lambasted by happy clappers!

No, you're being lambasted because you're being critical about games that are yet to be played.

Of course, instead of accepting that that isn't the rational stance to take, you instead slur those doing so "happy clappers".

What, based on the last 5 games, is there to suggest we're going to make a return to form. I was giving my prediction. No one has come back and said we're going to do better than that.

Funny thing about form, it can change at any moment without any prior indication. Oh, and people have said we'll do better, 2 people did in the 10 minutes before this post that I'm quoting.

Of course, it is much easier to write constantly negative drivel.

20 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Think city fans need a reality check. With our finances compared to alot of other clubs in the division. We are doing extremely well to be up there most of the season.

We are doing well....we are right in the mix of the play-offs with 10 games to go, and in our own hands.  

But, let’s not kid ourselves that we are one of the bottom 6 spenders anymore, like we were when we first came up.  Our wage bill has increased significantly.  We are now in a group of clubs spending mid-Table to top half.  Of course well below those clubs with parachute payments.  That brings an expectation, especially from SL.

You need to compare ourselves (imho) with Sheffield Utd, Brentford, Preston, Birmingham (If you remove Redknapp’s madness), Leeds (yes, their wage bill is around the same as ours albeit much higher income), QPR and Ipswich.  That’s a group of 8 clubs including us, 7 if you want to exclude Leeds.

Sheffield Utd the superstars as we stand, but us, Brentford, Preston and Brum (ignoring points deduction) all much of a muchness.  You could add Huddersfield to this too!

So I would say we are about where we should be, Ipswich hugely under-achieving but not financially risking their future.  It is too easy to think back to where we have come from over the past 2/3 seasons ago and still think we are little Bristol City and therefore think we are “punching”.  We have grown very quickly, partly through SL’s backing, and our thinking should build this in.

23 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Just as well we got them as that run came on the back of 4 straight losses and a bang average start to the season.

Exactly, most sensible thing you have said.....the run of wins came after a poor start and successive defeats, also as you said previously, Streaky Johnson, so after our current poor run, why couldn't the same improvement happen again ?

10 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

why couldn't the same improvement happen again ?

It might and I'd love us to get the 2 points per game that would probably see us get 6th.

I can't see it though and I think the players are already on the beach [most have been of late].

So, so wish my cynicism proves to be unfounded!!!

7 minutes ago, headhunter said:

It might and I'd love us to get the 2 points per game that would probably see us get 6th.

I can't see it though and I think the players are already on the beach [most have been of late].

You’re coming across as a glass half empty character...........:facepalm:

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Agree with both, lost what was last season our best three players, but apart from Reid's goals tally have been replaced with sufficient quality

On the relative cheap. We bought in more than £20m for those three players. A top 10 finish would be a good season in terms of our spending (also factoring into account our wages are nowhere near play-offs), anything more than that is a bonus.

17 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Personally I don't think we will do it...we can however as our winning run proved, but your reasoning is way too damning of the club, and to say we  are 'on the beach' and 'have been of late' is grossly unfair to the players and the coaching team, I cannot imagine any player in the squad having that mentality, we are still well placed with games in hand, by getting just four points or three from those we would be in the play off's. 

Still all to play for, actually for once I am not fearful, but just going to try and enjoy the run in.

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

For me it's a no.

0-0-3-1-0-3-0-1-0-1 = 9 + 55 = 64

With that we'll probably slip a place or two compared with last year. 

We'd have accumulated a paltry 11 points from a possible 45. That's  1/3 season in relegation form!!!

Streaky Johnson - not the progress SL is hoping for but we are a sustainable club.

You're criticising our club for going backwards based on your predicted pessimistic outcome?

I do think Johnson is a bit to inconsistent yeah, but you're criticising him based on the outcome of the season that is currently only in your head at this moment in time?

Should the above outcome happen then yeah maybe your point is valid that this is inconsistent and not progress, however give the bloke a chance!

A championship season is not based on last few games its based on a whole season. Throughout the course of the season, including good spells and bad spells we are averaging 1.52 points a game, we are 2 points off the play offs with 2 games in hand over the majority of the teams around us, and while we may have dropped points in games we really shouldn't have, we equally have gained points in games we probably wouldn't have expected to. Based on the average form for the season we are predicted to finish the season with 70 points and in 6th position. Last season we finished the season with 67 points but in 11th position 8 points off the playoffs.

This is a small improvement in the overall points performance of the team. However, it is worth noting if you average the performance of the teams around us then you get the following:

Villa: Played 38, Points 57 - Predicted point 69 based on average

Preston: Played 38, Points 57 - Predicted point 69 based on average

Derby: Played 37, Points 56 - Predicted point 70 based on average

City: Played 36, Points 55 - Predicted point 70 based on average

Sheff Wed: Played 38, Points 55 - Predicted point 67 based on average

Forest: Played 38, Points 54 - Predicted point 65 based on average

Hull: Played 38, Points 51 - Predicted point 62 based on average

Brentford: Played 38, Points 49 - Predicted point 60 based on average

Which concludes we are currently performing as the 6th best club in the league this season, which is an improvement on last season - and there is more to success than simply a points total!

This also doesn't even factor into the equation that we sold our 3 most instrumental players from last season. Johnson deserves credit for continuing our success from last season, currently improving on last season performance while making a large profit for the club and paving the way for future young players without blowing our budget to achieve this.

We may not be playing as exciting football, but purely in respect to the results and league positions we are out performing our squad of last season. 

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

It would appear I'm being lambasted by happy clappers!

What, based on the last 5 games, is there to suggest we're going to make a return to form. I was giving my prediction. No one has come back and said we're going to do better than that.

This "losing 3 best players" is a limp excuse to shield LJ from criticism. The loss of Flint's goals has been replaced by a better footballer [Webster] and a more solid defence [plus Kalas] and De Silva or [when he feels like it] Kelly are, at the very leas,t equal to Bryan who didn't play well after the cup run whilst Bobby Reid might be considered a one season wonder that we sold on when we had the chance. Not replacing him adequately was the big problem.

I've said many times before on here, we're buying 6 £1m players when 3 @ £2M is a better option IMHO [same wage cost]. 

£1M: Watkins, Walsh, Eisa, Adelukan, Pisano,  Paterson, O'Dowda [5 good games in 3 seasons], Eliasson, Taylor-Moore, Taylor [£300k].  Baker - fallen out with LJ? Weimann - waste of money, runs around with no end product [the views of Derby & Villa fans I know]

No, you're being lambasted by people who don't fall apart and state that we are doomed as soon as we lose a few games... 

What evidence was there based off of the 9 game winning run that you seem to have forgotten before the last 5 games to suggest we wouldn't do so well in the next 5? Not much I'd argue. I reckon we will do better than 9 points from our last run of fixtures as our form this season has shown that to be the case. 

If any team loses their best three players in one window it's going to be a struggle, the fact we've replaced them with better (on the whole) is surely a positive, even to you? (And its Dasilva, not De Silva...) 

If we sold all of those players you've listed there now, we'd make a profit on all bar two, that's surely a good sign of LJ's business again? If you're going to make a point at least try and look at it from the other side, instead of having a go at people who aren't all doom and gloom for being 'happy clappers' (whatever that actually means...) 

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

On the relative cheap. We bought in more than £20m for those three players. A top 10 finish would be a good season in terms of our spending (also factoring into account our wages are nowhere near play-offs), anything more than that is a bonus.

Our wage bill is higher than Sheffield United

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

For me it's a no.

0-0-3-1-0-3-0-1-0-1 = 9 + 55 = 64

With that we'll probably slip a place or two compared with last year.

We'd have accumulated a paltry 11 points from a possible 45. That's  1/3 season in relegation form!!!

Streaky Johnson - not the progress SL is hoping for but we are a sustainable club.

I can’t beleive next season 

0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = zero points from 46 games and relegation.

Back in league one again. 

Johnson HAS to go.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = zero points from 46 games and relegation.

Johnson HAS to go.

That's actually 47 games RedDave......... I feel like you're not taking this seriously 

35 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Sheffield Utd

Preston

two teams, one of which we have games in hand over. How many clubs are we doing better than? the answer is over half the division. We are right up there when you compare us to all the smaller (financially) clubs in the division.

12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I don't think we'll do as well as last year points wise. 

And we'll finish 13th.

It's almost impossible that we finish this low.

The worst average we have had for any 10 game spell this is 0.8 points per game which included a 4 game losing streak (Game 8 to Game 17 or Game 9 to 18)

We are not playing that bad and are still picking up points at the moment. If we equal our worst form of the whole season and pick up just 8 points (which could include losing as many as 6 of our 10 remaining games) from the remaining fixtures we will still finish with 63 points which will place us above 13th (based on season averages we would still finish top half). This is assuming every team currently placed in the top half equal or better their average points tally thus far this season.

Earlier in the season we went on a 4 games losing streak including loses to struggling Reading (22nd at the time) and Preston (21st at the time) and yet we then went on to draw with Norwich, Derby and beat Birmingham in the following 5 games. Teams lose to teams they shouldn't and then get results against teams they don't expect to which is the joy of the Championship.

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Johnson HAS to go.

We lost all our games, but everyone else failed FFP so we got promoted, top of the league and Johnson got the England job for Euro 2020.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

No, you're being lambasted by people who don't fall apart and state that we are doomed as soon as we lose a few games... 

What evidence was there based off of the 9 game winning run that you seem to have forgotten before the last 5 games to suggest we wouldn't do so well in the next 5? Not much I'd argue. I reckon we will do better than 9 points from our last run of fixtures as our form this season has shown that to be the case. 

If any team loses their best three players in one window it's going to be a struggle, the fact we've replaced them with better (on the whole) is surely a positive, even to you? (And its Dasilva, not De Silva...) 

If we sold all of those players you've listed there now, we'd make a profit on all bar two, that's surely a good sign of LJ's business again? If you're going to make a point at least try and look at it from the other side, instead of having a go at people who aren't all doom and gloom for being 'happy clappers' (whatever that actually means...)  

Based on points averaging across the season (which is worth mentioning included a previous 4 game losing streak in which we lost to 22nd and 21st placed position teams at the time and people were calling for Johnsons head) we are the 6th best performing team over the course of the season. 

I completely agree with what you're saying. The championship is a league in which anyone can beat anyone on their day, I fully expect us to lose a few and win a few of our remaining 10 games, as will the teams around us. People just need to enjoy the excitement that comes with being in with a chance of scrapping a play-off spot.

I'd say no...

However bear in mind that we can counter in our away games vs the 'bigger' sides- to varying degrees tomorrow, Sheffield Wednesday, though they are outsiders now Hull and definitely at Middlesbrough- that one I would have hope for because they themselves are a reactive side and countering on a reactive side is useful. May need a change of mindset and shape from LJ to seize any chance that may come our way in this last 10- and maybe 2 changes of shape i.e. one v lesser sides we can look to dominant and one to capitalise vs 'favourites' who will be coming at us.

WBA again though it's at home, we can counter on a bit- and as they themselves have become a bit less proactive after Moore sacked, this can help us a bit. Derby, well we should attack them- at home, last game- fact they can be weak on the road.

My instinct says no but we have a chance- were we to beat Reading and Wigan we would be almost halfway to the 13 points needed for this.

Archived