IGNORED

new poster

big dosser

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyone of a certain age will remember Monty Python and Spanish Inquisition sketch............:laugh:

Definitely one of their best, some of their humour hasn't aged well but that is still funny along with Anne Elk, that's an A for Anne not an Elk! loved her theory on dinosaurs that they were thin at one end much much thicker in the middle and thin again at the other end, priceless!!

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyone of a certain age will remember Monty Python and Spanish Inquisition sketch............:laugh:

And only that certain age find it funny. Most painful stuff I've ever watched, people born before the 80's were easily entertained indeed. 

4 minutes ago, Negan said:

And only that certain age find it funny. Most painful stuff I've ever watched, people born before the 80's were easily entertained indeed. 

Back then Monty Python was new and innovative but over 50 odd years it’s become dated. Lots of new ‘alternative’ comedy over the years since. 

Try watching The Young ones 40 odd years later and see if it’s still as funny now as it was back in the 80s....

12 minutes ago, Negan said:

Not so, successive generations have got into Python in a big way.

If on the other hand you're one of those who loves Mrs Brown's Boys but doesn't 'get' Father Ted, then that would explain a lot. 

49 minutes ago, Negan said:

One of the best programmes ever was started in the 80s . Only fools and horses . Don’t make um like they use to 

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

One of the best programmes ever was started in the 80s . Only fools and horses . Don’t make um like they use to 

Only fools and horses was a sitcom rather than ‘alternative’ comedy show so impossible to compare it to Monty Python but I agree that fools and horses is the greatest sitcom of them all. It was/is simply brilliantly funny written by the late John Sullivan. 

Even now some of the FB clips still make me laugh even tho you know what’s going happen.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Only fools and horses was a sitcom rather than ‘alternative’ comedy show so impossible to compare it to Monty Python but I agree that fools and horses is the greatest sitcom of them all. It was/is simply brilliantly funny written by the late John Sullivan. 

Even now some of the FB clips still make me laugh even tho you know what’s going happen.

So now we're going to have a debate as to the funniest sitcom of all time and all because we have a new poster!

Rules that need to be decided upon before the debate starts...

It has to be made in the UK (rules out Sgt Bilko)?

It has to be in colour (rules out Sgt Bilko)?

It has to be at least 18 episodes to prove how good the writing was (rules out Fawlty Towers-only 12 were made))?

Has to be Bristol City related to be included in this forum section (doesn't rule out OFAH)?

Big Tone isn't allowed to vote depending on what Dolly Marie selects?

And finally, the OP can't vote for the Harry (Nails)Worth  or The Forest of Dean Martin shows as they weren't made in the Forest of Dean area and they weren't a sitcom!

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Not so, successive generations have got into Python in a big way.

If on the other hand you're one of those who loves Mrs Brown's Boys but doesn't 'get' Father Ted, then that would explain a lot. 

You'll find most people who watch Mrs Browns boys are in the 50+ category. So again, it's appealing to that same sort of genre who find a man in women's clothes hilarious... 

I was born in 92 so Gervais is my generations comedy. 

3 hours ago, Negan said:

Although the Life of Brian is still funny and closely followed by MP and the Holy Grail.

We used to roar with laughter at Dick Emery , Benny Hill and the Carry on films .

Steptoe and Son, The Likely Lads , The Liver Birds , Some Mothers do ave em, Dads Army not so funny any more .

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Although the Life of Brian is still funny and closely followed by MP and the Holy Grail.

We used to roar with laughter at Dick Emery , Benny Hill and the Carry on films .

Our son is now 18. Three years ago we sat down to watch Monty P and The Holy Grail. He gave up after 30 mins. I agreed with him that most of what we had seen had dated badly.

I know humour is very subjective. Then we watched what I consider to be the funniest Carry On film made, Don't Lose Your Head which was set during the French Revolution. He still uses quotes from this film three years later. I think this film survives the humour test in that it was the last screenplay written by their No 1 author (name escapes me). It wasn't supposed to be a carry on film either hence the meaningless full title. It's also full of word puns eg "I'm Camembert, I'm  the big cheese!" 

"Remember, you must be circumspect."

"Oh I was sir when I was a baby."

"Let us my dear walk in the arbor."

"Blimey, I didn't know we were that close to the sea."

It's silly and daft but very well written. I can't say that about most of the Carry On films.

13 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Our son is now 18. Three years ago we sat down to watch Monty P and The Holy Grail. He gave up after 30 mins. I agreed with him that most of what we had seen had dated badly.

I know humour is very subjective. Then we watched what I consider to be the funniest Carry On film made, Don't Lose Your Head which was set during the French Revolution. He still uses quotes from this film three years later. I think this film survives the humour test in that it was the last screenplay written by their No 1 author (name escapes me). It wasn't supposed to be a carry on film either hence the meaningless full title. It's also full of word puns eg "I'm Camembert, I'm  the big cheese!" 

"Remember, you must be circumspect."

"Oh I was sir when I was a baby."

"Let us my dear walk in the arbor."

"Blimey, I didn't know we were that close to the sea."

It's silly and daft but very well written. I can't say that about most of the Carry On films.

Grail is a bit ‘ uneven ‘ but LOB is bang on right the way through .

Fawlty Towers , is very dated in the setting and costumes but the humour and surrealism remains, to me , still very funny .

I watched some Fast Show episodes on YouTube and globally didn’t find them that funny anymore.

That said in most comedy there are golden moments which will be forever human and relevant.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Grail is a bit ‘ uneven ‘ but LOB is bang on right the way through .

Fawlty Towers , is very dated in the setting and costumes but the humour and surrealism remains, to me , still very funny .

I watched some Fast Show episodes on YouTube and globally didn’t find them that funny anymore.

That said in most comedy there are golden moments which will be forever human and relevant.

Agreed Major, agreed.

I can't comment on the Fast Show as I didn't watch it that often, unlike Harry Enfield. Some of his characters still remain funny even to our son (Kevin, Self Righteous Brothers, Tim Nice but Dim, Wayne and Waynetta Slob). Kevin in particular nailed the adolescent period!

With regard to the Life Of Brian, I also agree with you. This hasn't dated. What's more as a Christian myself I find it more accurate historically than some of those Bible Epics! I mean, could all of the 5,000 have heard every word? It showed up the stupidity of some of those man made rules. To take the Mickey out of Latin was a master stroke! Is it blasphemous? Not at all. Irreverent more than likely. Anyway, I am off to cook our tea. I'm cooking halibut.

4 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Agreed Major, agreed.

I can't comment on the Fast Show as I didn't watch it that often, unlike Harry Enfield. Some of his characters still remain funny even to our son (Kevin, Self Righteous Brothers, Tim Nice but Dim, Wayne and Waynetta Slob). Kevin in particular nailed the adolescent period!

With regard to the Life Of Brian, I also agree with you. This hasn't dated. What's more as a Christian myself I find it more accurate historically than some of those Bible Epics! I mean, could all of the 5,000 have heard every word? It showed up the stupidity of some of those man made rules. To take the Mickey out of Latin was a master stroke! Is it blasphemous? Not at all. Irreverent more than likely. Anyway, I am off to cook our tea. I'm cooking halibut.

He's not the Messiah he's just a very naughty boy !!!

11 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Agreed Major, agreed.

I bet your halibut is fit for Jehovah .

3 hours ago, Negan said:

You'll find most people who watch Mrs Browns boys are in the 50+ category. So again, it's appealing to that same sort of genre who find a man in women's clothes hilarious... 

I was born in 92 so Gervais is my generations comedy. 

I doubt many people at all watch Mrs. Brown's Boys, 50+ or otherwise, it's extremely annoying crap. 

Your generation have missed the golden age of TV comedy, if there ever was one, and it certainly seems there was compared with what we suffer through now.

Not one of the present day stand ups are remotely funny, they all come from the same political standpoint, and they all cow to political correctness meaning it's all as bland as hell.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I doubt many people at all watch Mrs. Brown's Boys, 50+ or otherwise, it's extremely annoying crap. 

Your generation have missed the golden age of TV comedy, if there ever was one, and it certainly seems there was compared with what we suffer through now.

Not one of the present day stand ups are remotely funny, they all come from the same political standpoint, and they all cow to political correctness meaning it's all as bland as hell.

Wasn't it voted the nations favourite sitcom of the 21st century? I've watched it, it pans on the audience, 95% qualify for free bus passes. 

As for stand ups, you obviously only pay attention to the ones the media shove in your face, plenty are about that are hilarious, Dave Chapelle, Frankie Boyle, Ricky Gervais, Bill Burr all say stuff that would offend millions. Gervais last show he talked about cot death and kicking the baby away after, so lets not talk about the PC comedians who are only here to please the wet flannels of the world. 

2 minutes ago, Negan said:

Wasn't it voted the nations favourite sitcom of the 21st century? I've watched it, it pans on the audience, 95% qualify for free bus passes. 

As for stand ups, you obviously only pay attention to the ones the media shove in your face, plenty are about that are hilarious, Dave Chapelle, Frankie Boyle, Ricky Gervais, Bill Burr all say stuff that would offend millions. Gervais last show he talked about cot death and kicking the baby away after, so lets not talk about the PC comedians who are only here to please the wet flannels of the world. 

An Irish audience no doubt? I've never met anyone who either likes it or watches it so God knows why it's even shown over here.

As for Gervais, as I said, even those you consider to be the best are simply not funny.

With material like that he sounds like a juvenile prat rather than a comedian of any substance.

30 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

An Irish audience no doubt? I've never met anyone who either likes it or watches it so God knows why it's even shown over here.

As for Gervais, as I said, even those you consider to be the best are simply not funny.

With material like that he sounds like a juvenile prat rather than a comedian of any substance.

Not to your taste, fair enough. I like comedians with a dark sense of humour not one's who joke about their wives weight. Out of context the joke I described sounds incredibly bad, if you watched the set you'd understand. It was jut an example compared to the PC comedians you were criticising and if you don't rate Chappelle or Boyle then well... god help you. 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think you'll find it is made by BBC Scotland in ummmm Scotland!

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:13, forestofdean said:

hi everyone

hope I will be a poster that talks sense :laugh:

a bit about myself, followed my beloved city since the  day with sir terry cooper, old fashioned east end boy so hate bloody sitting down, favourite players for me as a young lad bobby Hutchinson, mark Gavin and Colin cramb just love that effort they put in but I cant forget the Neville riley  super bob and rob partnership or the tinnion and super scotty partnership if only we could bring them back in the side.played a good standard myself ie county and Hellenic and also had a trial with the boys as a 16 year old,mr Gerry sweeny did not think I was good enough so killed my dream no hard feelings Gerry bloody Sweeney :laugh:.

always positive so lets get up for the biggest 4 or 7 games of the season and get the lads over the line.i think if we are all honest we did not exspect this at the start of the season so its great to have the excitement at the end,i think we have some great young talent the only 2 things I have said for many years we lack is a governor in the middle of the park that can strike fear into the opposition thats why my favourite player in football was Vincent jones{I know that's just let me down}also that 30 goal strike machine very rare to get hold of.i think the future is bright and when you feel a bit down and need cheering up always think of that shower of s-----on the other side

anyway that's my first post so lets get behind the lads and become the famous 12th man

Just read your post, interesting stuff.  I'd like to hear more about your trial for City when you were 16, what did you have to do, how did you perform in your trial matches etc?  Bloody Gerry Sweeney, bet your folks wanted to throttle him!

Saying that, I've just read up a bit about Gerry Sweeney, after reading your post, and I've learned quite a few new things I never knew, so cheers!

I've also got a lot of time for Colin Cramb; his partnership with the Goat will forever be etched in my memory with fondness.

Keep your posts coming. 

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Just read your post, interesting stuff.  I'd like to hear more about your trial for City when you were 16, what did you have to do, how did you perform in your trial matches etc?  Bloody Gerry Sweeney, bet your folks wanted to throttle him!

Saying that, I've just read up a bit about Gerry Sweeney, after reading your post, and I've learned quite a few new things I never knew, so cheers!

I've also got a lot of time for Colin Cramb; his partnership with the Goat will forever be etched in my memory with fondness.

Keep your posts coming. 

How dare you Reddogkev get the thread back on topic!

All we need now is for a mod to close this thread and Forestofdean can claim a full-house of everything that can happen to a thread....and on his first posting (I'll have to double check just in case I missed a rant from our favourite Swede on here)!

Archived