IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

I've supported the City for over 50 years. Amongst my circle of good friends and family members. there are other City supporters, some Rovers supporters and even a couple of Yeovil supporters! We all enjoy the footie banter each weekend though my Rovers-supporting mates are very much down in the dumps right now.

The thing is, I want every professional football club in the West Country to do well. I want to see City, Rovers, Yeovil, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Exeter, Plymouth, Torquay etc ripping up the Championship together. I want to see more meaningful local derbies. I don't want to see any of these clubs fail.

Obviously, I'm not going to get what I want but I wouldn't/couldn't celebrate the demise of any West Country club - even the Rovers!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's certainly the way that I see it going.  The AQs will want the money back that they have loaned against the value of the Memorial Stadium but they have valued it as a development land rather than in its existng use a football ground; so any incoming buyer will have to buy the ground at its development value ?£15m rather than as a football ground which is then making what looks like being a L2 club very expensive unless they are bought without the ground.

I wouldn't however want to see them groundsharing at Ashton Gate as it seems to create unpleasantness (IIRC the Palace Brighton rivalry stems from one of them groundsharing with the other) so back to Twerton it is.

I can't see that happening Eddie, neither fan base would be happy with that at all, especially ours. When they tried it years ago, I seem to remember virtually no gas turned up. On that point, what possible benefit would there be in allowing them to use our stadium, surely it would be to their benefit? I guess they would have to pay serious money to use the Gate (if they paid) but I can't see SL allowing them to play in BS3 at all. Business wise, I guess it would be a reasonable move but I would hope even our Management aren't that naive. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's certainly the way that I see it going.  The AQs will want the money back that they have loaned against the value of the Memorial Stadium but they have valued it as a development land rather than in its existng use a football ground; so any incoming buyer will have to buy the ground at its development value ?£15m rather than as a football ground which is then making what looks like being a L2 club very expensive unless they are bought without the ground.

I wouldn't however want to see them groundsharing at Ashton Gate as it seems to create unpleasantness (IIRC the Palace Brighton rivalry stems from one of them groundsharing with the other) so back to Twerton it is.

Not sure Twerton would be up to league standard - unless someone put some money towards improvements,  which they would probablywant back at some point, and they best way of doing that would be to take part ownership, which is just a route in to stadium theft...

1 minute ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

I've supported the City for over 50 years. Amongst my circle of good friends and family members. there are other City supporters, some Rovers supporters and even a couple of Yeovil supporters! We all enjoy the footie banter each weekend though my Rovers-supporting mates are very much down in the dumps right now.

The thing is, I want every professional football club in the West Country to do well. I want to see City, Rovers, Yeovil, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Exeter, Plymouth, Torquay etc ripping up the Championship together. I want to see more meaningful local derbies. I don't want to see any of these clubs fail.

Obviously, I'm not going to get what I want but I wouldn't/couldn't celebrate the demise of any West Country club - even the Rovers!

I could.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure Twerton would be up to league standard - unless someone put some money towards improvements,  which they would probably want back at some point, and they best way of doing that would be to take part ownership, which is just a route in to stadium theft...

Aren't Bath city part of the 'stadium for Bath' thing? I thought Trumpton was going to be redeveloped as part of the stadium scheme.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure Twerton would be up to league standard - unless someone put some money towards improvements,  which they would probablywant back at some point, and they best way of doing that would be to take part ownership, which is just a route in to stadium theft...

This is correct, it's not even conference standard at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Let's hope they get relegated before they go pop then. What league would that put them in should they get wound up?

If it's 3 levels down, Southern league I should think, tier 7. Didn't Hereford and Wimbledon start even further down though?

1. Prem

2. Championship

3. L1

4. L2

5. Conference / national league

6. National league North / National league South

7. Northern Premier league / Isthmian league / Southern league.

One division above Longwell green and Bitton I think. 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If it's 3 levels down, Southern league I should think, tier 7. Didn't Hereford and Wimbledon start even further down though?

1. Prem

2. Championship

3. L1

4. L2

Hereford started at tier 9.  Ilkeston at tier 10.

25 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I can't see that happening Eddie, neither fan base would be happy with that at all, especially ours. When they tried it years ago, I seem to remember virtually no gas turned up. On that point, what possible benefit would there be in allowing them to use our stadium, surely it would be to their benefit? I guess they would have to pay serious money to use the Gate (if they paid) but I can't see SL allowing them to play in BS3 at all. Business wise, I guess it would be a reasonable move but I would hope even our Management aren't that naive. 

Definitely not.

Imagine the damage they would cause, and all the graffiti they would leave behind.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

1. Prem

2. Championship

3. L1

4. L2

Blimey, Longwell Green v the 15ers would be a bloodbath. Fans of both teams beating up themselves! ;)

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So qualifying rounds of the FA Cup in August then?

They'll get the derbies back I suppose but it would be Longwell Green, Bitton and Cadbury heath rather than us. ;)

10 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Was that diagram drawn by a Sag?  It labels levels 1 to 5 as "The League". No, just no!

Oh yeah, hadn't noticed that, well spotted. :clap:

Edited by Ska Junkie

47 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

1. Prem

2. Championship

3. L1

4. L2

That'll do nicely 

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

1. Prem

2. Championship

3. L1

4. L2

I looked this up.  Funnily enough the way the club started was just how I imagined it did; maybe I've heard it before.

They started in the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League which, confusingly, is listed as level 9-10.

Following the F.A.'s announcement of their decision [allowing the league club to relocate to Milton Keynes], a group of Wimbledon supporters led by Kris Stewart and fellow founding members Marc Jones and Trevor Williams met in The Fox and Grapes pub on Wimbledon Common to plan what was to be done next as part of the protest. It was agreed that as there was no right of appeal, the only option was to start the club again from scratch. On 30 May 2002 the idea was put forward in a Wimbledon Independent Supporters' Association meeting to create a new community-based club named AFC Wimbledon and an appeal for funds was launched.[10][11]

On 13 June 2002, a new manager, a playing strip and badge based on that of the original Wimbledon FC, and a stadium were unveiled to fans and the media at the packed-out Wimbledon Community Centre.[12] In order to assemble a competitive team at very short notice, AFC Wimbledon held player trials on 29 June 2002 on Wimbledon Common, open to any unattached player who felt he was good enough to try out for the team.[13] The event attracted 230 hopeful players, from whom the club's squad for their inaugural season was eventually chosen.[11]

• Like 2

After reading some comments on here who have sympathy for the gas , and that we are all football fans wanting the best for football in Bristol and the West Country. 

I would like to make my position clear and unequivocal,  I want them to go bust and out of business and Bristol Rovers never to return . I have no shrewd of empathy, sympathy or humanity for them.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1