IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

13 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Rovers are older than us, too, they were around before us but, crucially, in my opinion, they played safe anchoring themselves in the safe harbour of the Southern League, not having the gumption to go out into the choppy waters of the new-fangled professional national, Northern leagues.

Meanwhile, we were the upstart, younger brother that came from nowhere and took the leap into the shark-infested waters out beyond the comparatively gentle Southern League (largely amateur, anti professional. Unlike the northern Football League, ruthlessly professional. Cut throat) blazing a trail. And not only that, but succeeding, gloriously, almost immediately. 

We cut a dash, for a while. And were inches from glory; we touched greatness, briefly, but it slipped away. We were amongst the big boys. And then we went back there again with a team we made ourselves in the '70s.

Rovers have always remained tied to mother's apron strings - taking shelter in the safe harbour of League One and Two, with even a dip back down into the part-time rubbish whence they originated when L2 was too much/rough for them - sucking their thumb, afraid to risk anything more, watching us while we have gone out into the world and tasted some of it's delights and disasters.

The delights we enjoyed, they bitterly, and enviously resent; the disasters they revel in. They have no glory of their own to eulogise. They had five or six years in the Second Division in the 1950s where they mixed it with, for them, the big boys, and must've thought their moment had come, but it never happened. Back to mummy ever since.

Rovers have never gone bust like us (1982), because they have never gone boom! like us (not that our boom! is anything to write home about, really). They would never dare! They've never had the bottle (the imagination/the audacity/the ambition/the gumption/the delusion). They won't let go of mummy.

They like to see it (1982) as evidence of their moral superiority, when in fact their infatuation with our "moral failing" is a defence against their own fearfulness, timidity and sense of inferiority. 

They are still a Southern League club, at heart. They despise us because they despise themselves and their gutless, pathetic, fearful dependence on the safety of "mummy" and inability to make or even have a bloody good go amongst the big boys, where the glory is to be found. Like we're currently doing (the Championship, now, is a level way beyond anything they have ever experienced). Again.

Not that Miah and co will admit this, or even recognise it. 

Are they older than us? The name Bristol Rovers emerged in 1899 ...

8 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

This is spot on.

We’ve tried - and largely failed - to be successful. The Rovers, they’ve never really tried at all. What have they ever actually done?

They’ve always done what they do best...sit in the shadows and sneer at City for having the ambition to aim for the top.

Gasheads are proud to say “yeah but, we know what we are, we’re shit” every time you have a debate with one about Bristol football. They say it as if there’s something wrong with US for wanting to be better than that.

Zero ambition from the club and fans, that’s one of the reasons no one with any serious money has ever wanted to invest in them. 

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They’ve always done what they do best...sit in the shadows and sneer at City for having the ambition to aim for the top.

Gasheads are proud to say “yeah but, we know what we are, we’re shit” every time you have a debate with one about Bristol football. They say it as if there’s something wrong with US for wanting to be better than that.

Zero ambition from the club and fans, that’s one of the reasons no one with any serious money has ever wanted to invest in them. 

They have one ambition: to be one place above City. Make that two: to have a stadium with one more seat than us. 

The sooner they get over the obsession with being better than us the sooner they may actually achieve something. 

22 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

The way Gasheads look at it is that Bristol City F.C died taking with it our history and ALL past achievements, thus (in their minds) erasing the painful and bitter memories of Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester United etc playing competitively at Ashton Gate and having to hear about their rivals every week and read about them in the national papers (which is part and parcel of playing top flight football) whilst they (again in their minds) were ‘forgotten about’. 

It promised to be the beginning of an exciting period for Gasheads in the early 70’s, winning the pointless Watney Cup in a dire 0 - 0 draw and decided by the lottery of a sudden death penalty and then following on from that success by thrashing Brian Clough’s Brighton team 8 - 2 with the legendary ‘Smash and Grab’ firing them back to the Second Division. 

For a short time they were back on a level playing field with Bristol City, but City had to go and spoil it by going up to the First Division, whilst Rovers started to struggle in the Second.

So imagine seeing the momentum at your club disappear and at the same time hearing about your rivals not only going up but staying up on the last day in a game that has been often described as a ‘fix’ (obviously discounting beating Liverpool and Leeds and drawing with Man Utd to give us any hope in the first place). They must have felt like it was all a big conspiracy against them because as we all know they are always the victim. The rage must have been incredible.

Then in 1977 they became record breakers by being the losing team in the biggest ever televised Match of The Day thrashing (9-0 at the hands of Tottenham), and then being unfairly robbed of beating Ipswich Town when Bobby Gould’s legitimate goal was ruled out for offside.

As things weren’t working out on the pitch for them and City seemingly being unfairly kept in the top flight (in their minds) they saw an opportunity of getting some attention and media limelight finally......unfortunately it was for all the wrong reasons competing with Millwall, Aston Villa etc in the Hooliganism league table (as glorified in a book).

Seething, jealous, hard done by, cast aside and forgotten about in favour of ‘The Shit’.

Then in 1980 City are relegated from the top flight and start their own downward trajectory. The following season both Bristol clubs are shit and are both relegated back to the third tier. It’s bad for Rovers that their time in the Second Division came to an end, but it was fine and dandy because ‘The Shit’ went down with them.

So imagine then when City ended up in financial difficulty? As a Rovers fan this was their moment to not only be on an equal footing but they could actually end up as Bristol’s top team, emerging from the shadows. 

Having had to endure being ‘forgotten about’ that is what they wanted for Bristol City, they wanted Bristol City to be forgotten and they delighted in it, revelled in it, laughed at the ‘Support Bristol City Now Or Never’ campaign. After all, it was Bristol City who had stamped all over their early 70’s success by going up to the First Division. Their own demise had been Bristol City’s ‘fault’ for going one better.

So when the dust settled they were able to say that this was a new club, this wasn’t Bristol City, and they could block out the pain and suffering they felt in the late 70’s. City was gone, it was all a dream, Rovers are top dogs, the 82ers are in the basement (so bragging rights about Rovers never being in the bottom division ended up a regular taunt until ‘2nd May’ - a Gasheads favourite day).

This is my view of why Rovers bang on about 1982. The fact that we have been far more successful than them since 1982 is somehow lost on them, as is anything pre-1982. It’s their own little way of convincing themselves that Bristol is 50/50. 

I think you may have thought about this too much.

City went bust  so Rovers fans took the piss - and still do

Rovers got relegated from the league so City fans took the piss- and still do.

It's just the way it is.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Southport Red said:

I read this week that Florist fans were collecting money to help save Notts County.

Would anyone be brave enough to shake a tin for Rovers at Ashton Gate if it came to it?

It would be pointless as the 15ers would first steal the money and then steal the tin.

36 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think you may have thought about this too much.

City went bust  so Rovers fans took the piss - and still do

Rovers got relegated from the league so City fans took the piss- and still do.

It's just the way it is.

Maybe when it comes to painting the picture ? but certain topics that I have discussed with Gasheads over the years have led to bizarre and aggressive reactions.

This has even been when I have mentioned something about City which has no connection to Rovers in any way.

I would imagine by the like count of my post that a number of City fans can relate to a lot of what I said. So I guess they have experienced some of the same? There is banter for a laugh and banter through gritted teeth and most Rovers fans I know fit squarely into the latter category.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

This has escalated into banter and a bit of a history lesson, but Miah is usually alright and pretty self-deprecating (towards the sags of course) on here to be fair ?.

Agree. He doesn’t come across as your average Sag like the ones who come looking for bants but then get all defensive and aggressive culminating in them wanting to meet up to re-arrange your shithead face ?.

3 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Anyone feel we need the gas to offer up some new material for us as they don't seemed to have gaffed for a few weeks?

apart from agreeing to sign scales from UCD but not actually being able to afford to pay for him leaving both UCD and Scales in Limbo

14 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Anyone feel we need the gas to offer up some new material for us as they don't seemed to have gaffed for a few weeks?

No worries.

Their new season starts on Saturday. I’m sure it will packed full of new material for us. 

How very odd, and the comment by Cocklan doesn't sound promising at all. Sorry if this has been posted previously, if so I have certainly missed it!

UCD manager Collie O’Neill has revealed that the college remain in the dark over Liam Scales’ proposed transfer to Bristol Rovers.

The Republic of Ireland under-21 defender travelled to Bristol to discuss terms with the League One club, managed by Dubliner Graham Coughlan, in the first week of July.

The Wicklow native appeared happy to knock back the advances of Fleetwood Town, who lodged a late bid, and sign up with the Pirates but progress has been frustratingly slow.

Scales hasn’t lined out for the Students since, nor has he trained with his teammates, and will remain in limbo until a cash-strapped Rovers outfit push through the deal.

“There’s absolutely [happening] nothing on it,” O’Neill told extratime.ie.

“It’s still stalled. We’re still told we’re just waiting on a final bit of paperwork but… nothing. It’s dragging on a little.”

Contrary to media reports suggesting Joey Barton’s Fleetwood had turned his head with a larger offer, the defender has his heart set on Bristol.

“Bristol were in for him and it was more or less done, and then Fleetwood come in as well , but he had his mind made up Bristol was the one he wanted to go to.

“So that’s where it was left, but it was just left with paperwork to be done. It just seemed to drag on.”

Coughlan expanded on the hold-up, speaking to Bristol Live, and hinted that the issue is at his own club’s end.

“There is obviously an issue with the paperwork as we all know,” he said.

“There are one or two minor details which need tidying up, which need sorting out, whether we do that or not I don’t know?

“It is out of my hands now, I have passed it onto the powers that be [at Rovers] - he is a player I have identified and I liked.”

personally I quite like being reminded about 1982 ,although it was a dark time to be a city fan the few years that followed were my best years following city  Terry coopers red and white army ,1nil down 2.1 up and all that followed made me appreciate my club a lot more than when we were watching us play in the top division . coypal

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else find it strange that we have signed 3 former Chelsea players on permanent deals and the Fewers haven't signed any?

Give that Wally is a massive Chelsea fan (with connections, apparently), and given just how wealthy he is, I am amazed they weren't in the frame.

Seriously though, I do recall the Fewers expecting to take Chelsea youth players on loan, thanks to a special relationship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Does anyone else find it strange that we have signed 3 former Chelsea players on permanent deals and the Fewers haven't signed any?

Give that Wally is a massive Chelsea fan (with connections, apparently), and given just how wealthy he is, I am amazed they weren't in the frame.

Seriously though, I do recall the Fewers expecting to take Chelsea youth players on loan, thanks to a special relationship.

Chelsea want to loan their players out to teams who can give them the proper footballing experience, not to hoofball clubs who just try to continuously kick the ball into outer space for 90 minutes.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I thought they had a couple the season we had Tammy? Didn't work out too well as I recall

3 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

Darrell is starting to spill the beans so it could get interesting ...

“I got too involved with politics at Bristol Rovers. It was two years of broken promises that led to a fallout"

Wally? Broken promises? Surely not?

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2019/07/30/darrell-clarke-welcomes-new-walsall-era/

4 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Darrell is starting to spill the beans so it could get interesting ...

“I got too involved with politics at Bristol Rovers. It was two years of broken promises that led to a fallout"

Wally? Broken promises? Surely not?

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2019/07/30/darrell-clarke-welcomes-new-walsall-era/

It’s almost as if everything we predicted and told the blue few has come true and they are too busy with their head buried in the sand to take notice

they will lose there ground soon as well as debt overtakes the assets value and credit stream dries up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

It’s almost as if everything we predicted and told the blue few has come true and they are too busy with their head buried in the sand to take notice

they will lose there ground soon as well as debt overtakes the assets value and credit stream dries up

Their confirmation bias is just insane over there, anything that goes against it is shut out, what an awful way to live.

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

How very odd, and the comment by Cocklan doesn't sound promising at all. Sorry if this has been posted previously, if so I have certainly missed it!

UCD manager Collie O’Neill has revealed that the college remain in the dark over Liam Scales’ proposed transfer to Bristol Rovers.

The Republic of Ireland under-21 defender travelled to Bristol to discuss terms with the League One club, managed by Dubliner Graham Coughlan, in the first week of July.

The Wicklow native appeared happy to knock back the advances of Fleetwood Town, who lodged a late bid, and sign up with the Pirates but progress has been frustratingly slow.

Scales hasn’t lined out for the Students since, nor has he trained with his teammates, and will remain in limbo until a cash-strapped Rovers outfit push through the deal.

“There’s absolutely [happening] nothing on it,” O’Neill told extratime.ie.

“It’s still stalled. We’re still told we’re just waiting on a final bit of paperwork but… nothing. It’s dragging on a little.”

Contrary to media reports suggesting Joey Barton’s Fleetwood had turned his head with a larger offer, the defender has his heart set on Bristol.

“Bristol were in for him and it was more or less done, and then Fleetwood come in as well , but he had his mind made up Bristol was the one he wanted to go to.

“So that’s where it was left, but it was just left with paperwork to be done. It just seemed to drag on.”

Coughlan expanded on the hold-up, speaking to Bristol Live, and hinted that the issue is at his own club’s end.

“There is obviously an issue with the paperwork as we all know,” he said.

“There are one or two minor details which need tidying up, which need sorting out, whether we do that or not I don’t know?

“It is out of my hands now, I have passed it onto the powers that be [at Rovers] - he is a player I have identified and I liked.”

Wally is probably still trying figure out how to transfer camels in to Tilsons.