IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

City certainly did 'get away with it'. I think I'm right in saying that the rules were changed to prevent other clubs copying City and of course, been changed several times again since.

This was stuff that went on behind the scenes. It had nothing to do with the fans. Some fans were shameful when it came to their opinion of the players, but there was a lot of rumours which were untrue flying around at the time. Fans don’t want to see their club die. Rovers fans were no different when the snake signed for City.

I’d be interested to see what happens if the fake sheikh can’t find a buyer for Rovers. I could see them pulling their money out and sending Rovers right down the swanee. Would be very interesting to see the actions of the so called family club then.

Rovers wanted to see City go bust and then steal the ground. Nice ?

54 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I remember their then stadium manager Ian Holtby smirking knowingly at the camera, as he described his disappointment at the postponement.

Strangely it wasn't mentioned in that local news item that Stockport staff had actually seen the pitch being watered when they arrived for the game! 

I wonder what became of Holtby? He seemed such a trustworthy fellow. 

He's on Facebook.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

City certainly did 'get away with it'. I think I'm right in saying that the rules were changed to prevent other clubs copying City and of course, been changed several times again since.

So they didn't get away with anything, as they acted within the current laws. I remember at the time, City were withheld their TV money and had to put up £100k as a guarantee of fulfilling their fixtures. Move forward a year and Wolves were given their TV money up front to help them fulfill their fixtures and no deposit.  Another club was also in trouble at the time, can't remember who but the change didn't happen just because of City and certainly not straight away.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

This was stuff that went on behind the scenes. It had nothing to do with the fans. Some fans were shameful when it came to their opinion of the players, but there was a lot of rumours which were untrue flying around at the time. Fans don’t want to see their club die. Rovers fans were no different when the snake signed for City.

I’d be interested to see what happens if the fake sheikh can’t find a buyer for Rovers. I could see them pulling their money out and sending Rovers right down the swanee. Would be very interesting to see the actions of the so called family club then.

Rovers wanted to see City go bust and then steal the ground. Nice ?

City did go bust and we didn't steal your ground.

Just now, Rich said:

So they didn't get away with anything, as they acted within the current laws. I remember at the time, City were withheld their TV money and had to put up £100k as a guarantee of fulfilling their fixtures. Move forward a year and Wolves were given their TV money up front to help them fulfill their fixtures and no deposit.  Another club was also in trouble at the time, can't remember who but the change didn't happen just because of City and certainly not straight away.

I assume you mean the laws at the time rather than the current laws?

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

City did go bust and we didn't steal your ground.

Fortunately, you saved that great act for the rugby club.

Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

I assume you mean the laws at the time rather than the current laws?

Yes.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Not that high.

So City went bust, impacting on local businesses and shafting the playing squad and Rovers are the one with no morals. Okay then :)

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Fortunately, you saved that great act for the rugby club.

Yes.

As you said yourself , we acted within the laws of the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

So City went bust, impacting on local businesses and shafting the playing squad and Rovers are the one with no morals. Okay then :)

As you said yourself , we acted within the laws of the time.

So, Rovers got a ground, shafting the rugby club their other creditors and the players, the rugby club went bust after just 5 months and you like to think your club has morals.? Smiley face so that you're not offended by my offensive post.

Oh yes and, we never relinquished our league status, it was only an administrative change of name. No new club, same ground, no new place in the league, never been out of it. Never left Bristol, never campaigned against Bristol, never blamed Bristol for our problems, never got help from Bristol and backed Bristol's bid for the World Cup (obviously) unlike a certain club who acted like spoilt brats and even had a solicitor trying to dig dirt against BCFC to stop our stadium. I've got loads more where that came from.

• Like 8

Bristol Rovers went to the dogs when they sold Eastville,ceased to be a Bristol team when they moved to Trumpton, became a rugby team when they moved to the Manurial and ceased to be a League football team when they were relegated out of it, even though they celebrated their survival a week before.

The above will all be immaterial though, when the family of the fake sheikh finally come to their senses and pull the plug on the current regime and sell their stolen ground from under their noses.  This scenario is not far away and getting closer every day, I can assure you.

They once called themselves the blue half of Bristol but now they are only the blue quarter and soon to become extinct.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Rich said:

So, Rovers got a ground, shafting the rugby club their other creditors and the players, the rugby club went bust after just 5 months and you like to think your club has morals.? Smiley face so that you're not offended by my offensive post.

Did they?

I don't think Rovers have any more or less morals than any other business, I just find it ironic that some City fans think 1982 is more of a blot on Rovers history than their own.

6 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

We did? Must have missed that then.

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Oh yes and, we never relinquished our league status, it was only an administrative change of name. No new club, same ground, no new place in the league, never been out of it. Never left Bristol, never campaigned against Bristol, never blamed Bristol for our problems, never got help from Bristol and backed Bristol's bid for the World Cup (obviously) unlike a certain club who acted like spoilt brats and even had a solicitor trying to dig dirt against BCFC to stop our stadium. I've got loads more where that came from.

It really wasn't.

Rich said it was an administrative change of name'. That simply isn't true, Bristol City went bankrupt and a new club was formed. It does seem to rankle a few City fans, but that is what happened. Looking at where City are now, I'm surprised that it still seems to upset so many.

Edited by Miah Dennehy

51 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Did they?

I don't think Rovers have any more or less morals than any other business, I just find it ironic that some City fans think 1982 is more of a blot on Rovers history than their own.

It was they activity campaigned to stop the council from helping us, stating that any money we get they should have the same so the council withdrew their support, as well as trying to steal our ground

now of course you want the councils help in order to get land for a mythical new ground, you reap what you sow 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Rich said it was an administrative change of name'. That simply isn't true, Bristol City went bankrupt and a new club was formed. It does seem to rankle a few City fans, but that is what happened. Looking at where City are now, I'm surprised that it still seems to upset so many.

Again not true, you only have to look at the company on companies house, it was a change of name, something you did in 2007,

for a club to go bankrupt and start a new look at Hereford 

9 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You might also mention City go boom! every now and then, too - like right now; and in the 70s; and long before that - also "impacting on local businesses." Just for balance. You seem somewhat fixated on the bust whilst overlooking the boom - I'd imagine reaching the FA cup final had a positive affect upon "local businesses" not to mention "local" civic prowed and the subsequent impact on the "local" workforce and economy. Likewise, playing in the top division of English football more than once.

Do we have the numbers to illustrate the respective "impact on local businesses" of the two Bristol clubs over the last five/fifty/one hundred years? Would that be of any interest to you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I challenge you to find any document, article, official webpage or record that says we were formed in 1982. You won't be able to. Check company house, check with the football association.. Bristol City are listed as having been formed in 1894. I don't think anything more needs to be said really.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I remember their then stadium manager Ian Holtby smirking knowingly at the camera, as he described his disappointment at the postponement.

Strangely it wasn't mentioned in that local news item that Stockport staff had actually seen the pitch being watered when they arrived for the game! 

I wonder what became of Holtby? He seemed such a trustworthy fellow. 

He's still about.

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I challenge you to find any document, article, official webpage or record that says we were formed in 1982. You won't be able to. Check company house, check with the football association.. Bristol City are listed as having been formed in 1894. I don't think anything more needs to be said really.

Good luck getting a Sag to believe a fact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bristol City Holdings was called 1982 for a short time but that was in between other names. The maggots call us 82ers like they call us a franchise.

English not being their first language clearly.

Exactly this..! 

Now I wasn’t involved around 1982 (I was only 2/3 yrs old) so admittedly, my knowledge is restricted to stories from friends, on here and reading articles on those times - however as I understand it we didn’t go “bust” - yes, we came damn close, but it never happened. Thanks, largely to the AG8’s well documented sacrifices. 

Now I'm aware that “the 8” were left with little choice, as failure to comply with tearing up their contracts would have meant the death of Bristol City Football Club - but their heroic gesture of doing this, enabled us to survive and, by the skin of our teeth, continue, albeit under a reformed company of BCFC 1982 Ltd. 

Plenty of clubs now operate under companies far more recently formed that the Est date of their football club - Rovers (and us) included. 

We VERY nearly went to the wall, but we DID NOT! Otherwise we’d have lost our ground and our league status. Both things that Rovers have managed all by themselves, without the excuse of financial plight..! 

In fact, as I see it, most of those involved around 1982 & onwards, deserve massive credit for keeping our heads above water (forgetting the faults that led to that situation) 

I have never really understood the Gas’ mockery of “82’ers” - surely it just makes the gulf between the 2 clubs today, even more incredible, when despite their (underhanded) efforts back then, they were unable to grasp the initiative and succeeded off the back of our plight. 

The lessons learned, leading to events of 1982 should never be forgotten - but I take pride from my club surviving that time and growing into what we have here today. 

I’d say that “15’ers” is a far more humiliating nickname..! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Exactly this..! 

Now I wasn’t involved around 1982 (I was only 2/3 yrs old) so admittedly, my knowledge is restricted to stories from friends, on here and reading articles on those times - however as I understand it we didn’t go “bust” - yes, we came damn close, but it never happened. Thanks, largely to the AG8’s well documented sacrifices. 

Now I'm aware that “the 8” were left with little choice, as failure to comply with tearing up their contracts would have meant the death of Bristol City Football Club - but their heroic gesture of doing this, enabled us to survive and, by the skin of our teeth, continue, albeit under a reformed company of BCFC 1982 Ltd. 

Plenty of clubs now operate under companies far more recently formed that the Est date of their football club - Rovers (and us) included. 

We VERY nearly went to the wall, but we DID NOT! Otherwise we’d have lost our ground and our league status. Both things that Rovers have managed all by themselves, without the excuse of financial plight..! 

In fact, as I see it, most of those involved around 1982 & onwards, deserve massive credit for keeping our heads above water (forgetting the faults that led to that situation) 

I have never really understood the Gas’ mockery of “82’ers” - surely it just makes the gulf between the 2 clubs today, even more incredible, when despite their (underhanded) efforts back then, they were unable to grasp the initiative and succeeded off the back of our plight. 

The lessons learned, leading to events of 1982 should never be forgotten - but I take pride from my club surviving that time and growing into what we have here today. 

I’d say that “15’ers” is a far more humiliating nickname..! 

harping on about 1982 (and every other myth they come up with) is all they’ve got left - compulsive liars of the highest order

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You're oddly interested in administration,  are you practicing for some upcoming event ..?

• Haha 1