IGNORED

Kieffer Moore - Signed for Wigan

Coppello

4 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Moore doesn’t install me with confidence but then again neither did the the signing of Wilbraham, so it proves I’m not best to be on recruitment.

like others though I would prefer a jack in the box type of player.  

Why restrict recruitment to strikers called Jack ?.

Marriott, though?

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see the basic job Smith does as being good enough for anything other than a mid to lower championship side. I remember one game at home where Flint and even Wright were winning nearly everything that was pumped long to Smith. And if he aint winning those balls then he really is offering very little. I hope if we sign Moore then he has a bit more to his game, and I think he has from what I have seen.

Having just said that about Smith, I bet Warnock signs him up and punts balls up to him all season and they go up! I guess if you get the best out of what he does then it can work, but I just think he lacks quality needed to realistically consistently win games in this league.

Yes, that was the game when Baker got sent off.  Funnily enough, Wright came inside and it was him winning the aerial battles rather than Flint.  Smith’s strength caused Flint lots of probs that day, But Wright’s more muscular, positioning play really thwarted Smith in the second half.

I agree that I don’t think he’s top 6 playing week in week out.  Moore, a different type of big man.  Remains to be seen if he has the quality at this level.  Playng with better players might help.

Personally I think it is paper talk, and he won’t be coming here....but good debate on a Sunday lunchtime!

10 minutes ago, FOTC! said:

Chose Derby over us. **** him.

He did indeed

Imagine he wouldn’t come anyway,

He might be having been frozen out by Lampard....even started Nugent yesterday, but did get on.

we wouldn’t be interested.

If we were last summer, and he became available at the right price, we might be again.  Sometimes all about timing.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Simple thing for me is that if we play a big man (or even two), we have to service from wide.  You can play two lumps lower down the leagues and rely on bits and pieces, balls over the top...not in the Champ).

So If we are gonna service from wide we either have to do it from deep...angled balls from Full-Backs / Wing-Backs, or from advanced positions, which brings in the importance of Eliasson.

I wouldn’t say I'm over enamoured with Eliasson in his overall play, but his crossing (from either side) is top, top drawer.  If I was a striker, with anything like reasonable movement (unlike Fam), I’d fancy his service big time.

Ultimately it will be down to his LJ wants to play, but for a bright coach, I do question how his “clubs in the bag” are sometimes the “wrong tools for the job”.

I keep coming back to what is the tactical plan? People often complain of the lack of a plan B but for me LJ has too many plans, often in the same game.

I just wish he would settle on an approach and recruit and coach accordingly.

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

I keep coming back to what is the tactical plan? People often complain of the lack of a plan B but for me LJ has too many plans, often in the same game.

I just wish he would settle on an approach and recruit and coach accordingly.

Yep it is the biggest decision of the summer for me. Decide what formation you want to play. Could be 352, 4411 or 4222. Decide and recruit to that. We have enough adaptable types here to change if need be but recruit to that one style please. If we want a Moore or Matt smith fair enough but do not overpay or overplay. 

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I’ve got a feeling we will see more of Semenyo, and he is going to be Bobby Reid part two. 

if he can have a good pre-season, be up to Champ speed, then I have no probs with that at all.  He has something going for him imho.

22 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Doesn't fit in with being bold in the transfer market does it..

It is early days yet. But did SL say we were going to go big. Sorry if I missed that. But the interview I saw he seemed very happy with the progress. I would think there is a good chance of more of the same in the transfer market this summer.

11 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

It is early days yet. But did SL say we were going to go big. Sorry if I missed that. But the interview I saw he seemed very happy with the progress. I would think there is a good chance of more of the same in the transfer market this summer.

LJ said he wanted us to be bold. 

SL gave the impression(my opinion) that he was happy with the progress. So possible he does not see a reason to do anything differently this window. 

They can of course both have their way. We can be bold but still be savvy. I am all for bringing in young players. I just hope they are for the 2019/20 starting XI instead of the 2022/23 starting XI. Cost will not guarantee success but it would be encouraging if we had a few big signings. Not a Gayle for 12m and 35k a week but more like a 24 year old is Europe coming off a good season for 6-7m and 20k. I have no examples but the point remains about us being bold but sticking to strategy

Also, back to Kieffer Moore. This would feel more like signing Marley Watkins again. We can justify it at the time or even now. Marley Watkins does offer a good motor and something different out wide. That said he is not good enough for what we want to be

For the right money, I don't see this as too bad a signing. We saw with Djuric how useful having that big target man can be when chasing a goal late on. 

I'm fairly certain if he was brought here he wouldn't be near the starting 11, but more than a useful option off the bench if the situation dictates.

1 hour ago, KingLear said:

For the right money, I don't see this as too bad a signing. We saw with Djuric how useful having that big target man can be when chasing a goal late on. 

I'm fairly certain if he was brought here he wouldn't be near the starting 11, but more than a useful option off the bench if the situation dictates.

The classic British managers tactic if all else fails throw on the gawky towering striker/centre half type player and hope for the best a more mobile skilful  Matt Taylor type of striker works far better,how many big lumbering types of players can't even direct a ball goalwards when under the slightest pressure because they don't have the ability .One exception is Chris Woods  around 6ft 3ins but averaged around 1 goal per 2 games in the Championship for Leeds Utd and bagged 3 on loan at Bristol City as well as 13 in 46 Prem games this season for Burnley in  contrast Christian Doidge (6ft 2ins) managed 1 goal in 17 apps for Bolton yet has 10 goals since returning to Forest Green. City have wasted millions on failed gambles would sooner wait for a better player than Moore.

11 minutes ago, grove park city said:

The classic British managers tactic if all else fails throw on the gawky towering striker/centre half type player and hope for the best a more mobile skilful  Matt Taylor type of striker works far better,how many big lumbering types of players can't even direct a ball goalwards when under the slightest pressure because they don't have the ability .One exception is Chris Woods  around 6ft 3ins but averaged around 1 goal per 2 games in the Championship for Leeds Utd and bagged 3 on loan at Bristol City as well as 13 in 46 Prem games this season for Burnley in  contrast Christian Doidge (6ft 2ins) managed 1 goal in 17 apps for Bolton yet has 10 goals since returning to Forest Green. City have wasted millions on failed gambles would sooner wait for a better player than Moore.

I’m not suggesting we abandon our way of playing to accommodate a target man, quite the opposite. 

Its a useful tactic if needed though I maintain that. Especially when you consider Djuric’s strike rate is/was better than Matty Taylor’s.

Agree though that it won’t be and shouldn’t be our main transfer target.

14 minutes ago, grove park city said:

I think weimann is the more skillful version of matty taylor which you mentioned. I would keep weimann in the squad, but it’s unlikely he will be the out and out goalscorer that we need.

regarding tall target man strikers, agree totally, unless you go for someone like wood, vokes or crouch then they aren’t exactly offering much goal threat. Its fairly obvious to say it, but if taylor, watkins and eisa are out this summer and someone like assombalonga is in that would represent a significant upgrade to our squad.

8 minutes ago, KingLear said:

I’m not suggesting we abandon our way of playing to accommodate a target man, quite the opposite. 

Its a useful tactic if needed though I maintain that. Especially when you consider Djuric’s strike rate is/was better than Matty Taylor’s.

Agree though that it won’t be and shouldn’t be our main transfer target.

I did like Djuric as a player he never seemed settled in England and if your not happy i don't think he was wrong to go back abroad, we can't compete with the bigger

clubs but watching Leeds United , Norwich City and WBA this season their style of play has been so refreshing wish we still had Luke Ayling in a red shirt,that i can't get excited about that type of Moore signing anymore oh for a modern day King Bob Taylor upfront.

Djuric had a bit more to offer technically than we saw IMO. Could have been a bigger provider of assists- two things prevented this for me. Probably had a better, cleaner strike on him than we often saw too.

Injuries and tactics- the first a big hindrance. The second, possibly in part due to this, was us just using him as a last resort- his goal v Crystal Palace in 2017 showed a more technical strike, so I think  he had that to an extent. We saw glimpses of it in the half season until May 2017 too.

That was then though- of its time. Given it some thought and now Kieffer Moore? Not for me. Not for the price on offer either.

Personally do not think we need the type. Fam is not a target man but he can add a physical presence up front. I’d be adding another striker I feel is better than Fam. Then use Fam, Weimann and Semenyo as the game changing types. Meaning Taylor is expendable. 

Kieffer Moore does not seem an upgrade on anyone in the current squad. I would not mind a target man type but I’d not be looking at spending 2-5m on one from L1. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Might just be his agent working for an improved contract 

Spot on. I think we’re going to get a lot more of this type of thing in the next 2-3 months. 

On 12/05/2019 at 11:18, Dastardly and Muttley said:

If £2million is true, then great. I’d see it as an almost direct replacement from Djuric, but someone who hopefully can settle better and isn’t injury prone.

I doubt £2mill is true, as Nixon says City will pay “decent dough” - more likely £4-5 mill.

I also doubt Moore is the main striker target and a “finisher” will be in too, but you can’t pick and choose the order in which you get these guys in.

Do you really think we would spend £4-£5m on someone who is not our main striker target?

1 hour ago, Elruliri said:

I'd rather spend £45k on Robbie Turner....

Jesus. Robbie turner and his elbows wouldn’t last 5 minutes in this day and age without getting a red card. Even if he did he would lamp someone  in the tunnel at half time.

No, not Barnsley again. Haven't we learnt from Watkins signing.

2m if true is wasting money. Fewer buys but at at least 5m and players who will automatically be first choice and not 'a punt', 'one for the bench' , 'one for the future ',   'another club in the bag' , or 'good back-up'.

Archived