IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

55 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There aren’t many foreign owners that fully understand how football works & what is realistically expected from them,

City Abu Dhabi owners, Liverpool US, Chelsea Russian, Spurs British, Arsenal US, Leicester Thai. Foreign owners appear to be doing reasonably well.

Obviously nobody knows how they will work out as owners but so far they are doing the right things and they are supporting the club. They saved Villa from administration, employed a professional CEO, sacked the dinosaur manager and got a football manager in and are investing money into the squad, the facilities and the management structure of the club. They have also overseen our promotion to the PL. So far I can't see why many Villa fans would be complaining but time will tell. I know for sure I am much happier with the position we are in now than where we were 12 months ago

9 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

What do you mean?  Arsenal could easy afford 80m they are one of the richest clubs in Europe.

Stan Kroenke is the answer why: ask any Arsenal fan.

Reportedly Emery has been given a budget of £40m plus whatever he raises from sales. It has been suggested in the last few days that Emery has been pleading with Kroenke to give him the money for Zaha.

The problem for Emery is that he cannot offload Ozil because of his wages and obviously doesn't want to sell the likes of Aubameyang.

All of this has been widely reported so I have not said anything controversial.

1 hour ago, Begley said:

City Abu Dhabi owners, Liverpool US, Chelsea Russian, Spurs British, Arsenal US, Leicester Thai. Foreign owners appear to be doing reasonably well.

Obviously nobody knows how they will work out as owners but so far they are doing the right things and they are supporting the club. They saved Villa from administration, employed a professional CEO, sacked the dinosaur manager and got a football manager in and are investing money into the squad, the facilities and the management structure of the club. They have also overseen our promotion to the PL. So far I can't see why many Villa fans would be complaining but time will tell. I know for sure I am much happier with the position we are in now than where we were 12 months ago

You could argue that Arsenal fans aren’t particularly happy with how things look & their supposed limited transfer budget (in terms of a club of their stature.

Shall we then look at Man Utd, Charlton, Birmingham, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest, Swansea, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday & even Cardiff to an extent with their owners changing their historic club colours! And you could even add Hull City to that list as their owner is Egyptian based! And then of course there is your previous outstanding foreign owners from America & China!

I’d suggest that the majority of foreign owners are fine while things are going well for the club they are involved in but as soon as things don’t go quite the way they’d hoped, they are pretty quick to get out of the club.

If he does stay, a new song for him is needed. I've had Gerry Cinnamon's Belter in my head all weekend so... (I know this will never get sung ? Sunday boredom)

No happy endings
Unless fairytales come true
He plays a lot like Messi
Paolo Maldini too
I think I love him
He gets underneath my skin
He has scored a few times
And he let's nobody in
He's Adam Webster
He's Adam Webster

6 minutes ago, Just8 said:

If Webster were to go I can honestly see Johnson investing in a more youthful replacement or even not replacing him at all. Provided Kalas does sign, we'll have Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore that can play alongside him. I have a sneaking suspicion they'll all be here at the end of the summer.

Thought Moore had gone.

1 hour ago, westred1 said:

If he does stay, a new song for him is needed. I've had Gerry Cinnamon's Belter in my head all weekend so... (I know this will never get sung ? Sunday boredom)

No happy endings
Unless fairytales come true
He plays a lot like Messi
Paolo Maldini too
I think I love him
He gets underneath my skin
He has scored a few times
And he let's nobody in
He's Adam Webster
He's Adam Webster

I wish I had as much spare time as you....

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can't believe it looks like we are getting Hogan. Last season Villa's 4th choice striker. Bloody hell.

I've not seen Hogan mentioned other than on here tbh.

I think we may have moved on from him (hopefully), something a bit more ambitious maybe ? Big loan and a big signing hopefully.

Back on topic Re Webster;

https://readastonvilla.com/2019/06/30/aston-villa-confident-of-agreeing-deal-for-webster/

Different language than before - not so cocky.

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm resigned to Webster leaving.

I'm pretty relaxed about it as well, the money being suggested is massive for a player who has a questionable fitness record and was part of a defense that got relegated from the Championship.

Bit harsh - he played three games for Pompey that season ...

I think Websters massive improvment with City is not just down to himself and coaching but I'm certain he owes a lot to Kalas, De Silva and Wright/Baker who covered him to allow his impressive and eye-catching ventures forward. Yes I will be sad to see him go, but he will not be irreplaceable.

10 hours ago, Begley said:

It had to be done to avoid FFP / P&S penalties. Villa was a basket case before our new owners. We were forced to do something to avoid P&S failure

Saw this earlier and couldn't leave it unchallenged- but my phone died.

You're a good poster so don't take this as a slight, plus I don't want to go into the thread and potentially derail it but this mindset makes me quite angry- no offence to you.

Can we debate it on the FFP thread in main football chat? I understand it from a technical POV  of course but think it's fair to say I have quite trenchant views on this subject. :laughcont:

9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Seems a level headed lad though, already has god status here and will probably want a more secure mid table prep club than Villa. If there is something in the Everton or Southampton rumours I think he could go to one of these clubs but not sure if I see him wanting to risk it with Villa. 

He will know that we are on the up, one more good season and better clubs will be looking at him than Villa?

Come off it. Villa are by comparison to us a massive club whether we like it or not. We’re on the up but we’re nowhere near the draw of a Villa. 

I think people really underestimate the lure of the premier league (ie the money). If we can’t keep the likes of Bryan and Reid from jumping ship then scant chance of players who have no real emotional attachment to the club.

The lure of the premier league was enough to have Bobby - who’d been here since he was a lad -  head tapping in a Cardiff shirt; should tell you all you need to know! 

37 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Come off it. Villa are by comparison to us a massive club whether we like it or not. We’re on the up but we’re nowhere near the draw of a Villa. 

I think people really underestimate the lure of the premier league (ie the money). If we can’t keep the likes of Bryan and Reid from jumping ship then scant chance of players who have no real emotional attachment to the club.

The lure of the premier league was enough to have Bobby - who’d been here since he was a lad -  head tapping in a Cardiff shirt; should tell you all you need to know! 

To be honest you are probably right and I was thinking wishfully. One of the players I will be most devastated about losing at City despite only being here for a season. 

It feels inevitable, shame...but that's football I guess.

The most positive way to look at it I guess is that the club has never been better equipped to deal with it so whilst I'm (hugely) disappointed to see him leave I'm also more relaxed about it than I ordinarily would be when we're talking about to such a class player. 

I totally agree with all the postings about Webby being a huge loss but no-one is irreplaceable & lets give LJ & his staff some credit, they would have seen this coming a long time ago & would hopefully have replacements in mind.

I now think that many players are looking at BCFC & thinking of us a viable option at last.

Archived