IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The ‘admiration’ that they deserve is similar to that proffered  to Great Train Robber, Ronnie Biggs when he fled to Brazil, avoiding extradition. Like Villa and Derby, he escaped justice and spent years enjoying celebrity, the high life and laughing at the law. 

Villa and Derby can run but they shouldn’t be able to hide. Let’s hope that in the case of Villa, the Premier League can enforce sanctions in the proper manner - which if they weren’t so unbelievably incompetent, the EFL would already have done. 

It wasn't all enjoyable for Biggs as he had to give up watching his beloved Hillingdon Borough FC and watch Santos and the Brazil national team instead. People forget this when they envy his situation.

14 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Villa and Derby can run but they shouldn’t be able to hide. Let’s hope that in the case of Villa, the Premier League can enforce sanctions in the proper manner - which if they weren’t so unbelievably incompetent, the EFL would already have done.

Surely you can only enforce sanctions if a club breaks the rules. Villa have not broken the rules. Looking for sanctions sounds more like sour grapes than anything else

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Webster, we want news about Webster !

If the Utd bid for McGuire is true and if that actually happens I suspect Villa may turn their attention to Tuanzebe. I also think Mings is their number 1 target so if Villa get Mings and Tuanzebe I think their interest in Webster will wain

21 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It wasn't all enjoyable for Biggs as he had to give up watching his beloved Hillingdon Borough FC and watch Santos and the Brazil national team instead. People forget this when they envy his situation.

Didn’t Ronnie Biggs feature as guest vocalist on the Sex Pistols’ song No one is Innocent back in the day. Cracking little tune. 

8 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Didn’t Ronnie Biggs feature as guest vocalist on the Sex Pistols’ song No one is Innocent back in the day. Cracking little tune. 

I rather think you are correct. 

16 minutes ago, Begley said:

Surely you can only enforce sanctions if a club breaks the rules. Villa have not broken the rules. Looking for sanctions sounds more like sour grapes than anything else

I think you are correct too. The odd thing is in your reply I am quoted as having the bash at Villa and ffp when it was Rudolph Hucker who wrote those words. Not your fault, a fly has somehow got into the cockpit. Strange how that has happened.

5 hours ago, Begley said:

To me it appears that Villa are trying to buy Webster but not at Bristol City's valuation. They are looking to unsettle the player and all this talk of quadrupling his salary can't be helping the lad. That said, this is just normal practice by all clubs when it comes to transfers. Although we become somewhat immune to the actual size of the numbers and see people saying things like 'I wouldn't takes less than 25m or less than 30m etc' it is still a heck of a lot of cash.  

Which probably isn’t the brightest thing to do considering we helped you out of the brown stuff by redoing the Baker payments for you!

Our owner is very much a man of principle & if he feels like someone is taking advantage of our clubs & his goodwill, you can bet he won’t be being done over again & if Webster does go to you, it will be very much on our terms, if at all.

And if Webster’s head is turned, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is offered to everyone else in the market for a central defender & they will be given very favourable terms, in the hope of them taking Webster rather than Villa. We are very much in the driving seat with any potential deal & playing games is only likely to end badly for one group of people & that is very unlikely to be us!

4 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I may be speaking out of turn here, but do we own Ashton Gate or is that all Bristol Sport now? 

Anyway I’m still hoping another club come in for Webster like Southampton or Everton where we can barter with their players as well. 

Ashton Gate is owned by Bristol City Holdings which in turn is owned by a company of S Landown.

It was separated from the Football Club by Des Williams to ensure that if 1982 ever happened again, we would still own the stadium.

11 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Which probably isn’t the brightest thing to do considering we helped you out of the brown stuff by redoing the Baker payments for you!

Our owner is very much a man of principle & if he feels like someone is taking advantage of our clubs & his goodwill, you can bet he won’t be being done over again & if Webster does go to you, it will be very much on our terms, if at all.

And if Webster’s head is turned, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is offered to everyone else in the market for a central defender & they will be given very favourable terms, in the hope of them taking Webster rather than Villa. We are very much in the driving seat with any potential deal & playing games is only likely to end badly for one group of people & that is very unlikely to be us!

My own instinct- which could be wrong is that though Gregor said there is a good relationship at the boardroom level- see the Baker payment redone, Kodjia and some general business, this has taken a hit in the last year with the Aston Villa shenanigans and the other significant change in the boardroom itself.

I would be willing to wager a decent amount that it is not so warm now- Purslow, Edens and Sawiris seem rather different to Messrs Xia and Wyness.

We certainly won't be had over that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My own instinct- which could be wrong is that though Gregor said there is a good relationship at the boardroom level- see the Baker payment redone, Kodjia and some general business, this has taken a hit in the last year with the Aston Villa shenanigans and the other significant change in the boardroom itself.

I would be willing to wager a decent amount that it is not so warm now- Purslow, Edens and Sawiris seem rather different to Messrs Xia and Wyness.

We certainly won't be had over that's for sure.

Exactly & especially if they start playing games to unsettle Webster on the back of our goodwill towards them.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

And if Webster’s head is turned, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is offered to everyone else in the market for a central defender & they will be given very favourable terms, in the hope of them taking Webster rather than Villa.

You're having a laugh surely. Its a business. Every club tries to pay as little as they can for a player and equally tries to sell for the maximum. If you believe that if Villa offered a better deal to Bristol City than say Everton that Bristol City would sell to Everton to spite Villa you really do underestimate the business acumen of the management at Bristol City. 

4 minutes ago, Begley said:

You're having a laugh surely. Its a business. Every club tries to pay as little as they can for a player and equally tries to sell for the maximum. If you believe that if Villa offered a better deal to Bristol City than say Everton that Bristol City would sell to Everton to spite Villa you really do underestimate the business acumen of the management at Bristol City. 

Think you are right, but in the right scenario, e.g. assurances over game time, touted him elsewhere would probably mean he went there than Villa.

I really don’t like Villa following recent arrogance (you’re fine and sensible Begley), and I’m sure if I was Webster I would be really worried by their scatter-gun approach to CB recruitment.  You’ve signed Hause, have Chester, and apparently after any of Mings, Tuanzebe, our own Webster, Stephens....who else have I missed?  What promises can Smith give him if say first choice Mings gets done.  What does that do to Hause, who’s just signed.  It’s not just about doubling, trebling or whatever your wages, there’s promises, etc too.  If Webster is a sensible chap, that will come into his thinking.  He might still leave, but someone gets let down somewhere in an incoherent recruitment drive.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

So why was the reported first bid to Ipswich from Bristol City for Webster only 2m? Then it was negotiated up to 3.5m plus a lot of add ons. Bristol City (sensibly) went in with a low bid first. It sets the bar and disrupts the player because a club that can offer more immediate better opportunities and a bigger pay packet wanted to sign him. So now when the situation is reversed its all about principles ????

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would be really worried by their scatter-gun approach to CB recruitment.

??

It wasn't so much scatter gun it was the idiot Bruce selling them all or loaning them out. We started the Championship campaign last season with 1 full back. We started a few games last year with 4 right backs. It was a joke!

Chester apparently has a career threatening injury and has to manage his training and game time, he can't play a full season so he is not capable as a number 1. Hause is a backup CB and can also play as back up LB. Currently Villa has NO CBs for the our 1st team. They want Mings and Bournemouth are quite rightly looking to maximise the value of Mings and Tuanzebe is up in the air as Utd are unsure if they will be playing him or not. He has only 1 year on his contract and Utd need to either renew or sell. I suspect Villa want two of Webster, Mings and Tuanzebe and it will be mainly timing that determines which two Villa gets (that is if they get any of them) as you can't buy a player if a club refuses to sell. But regardless if what happens, Villa will buy 2 CBs this window.

Personally I think Webster will go. That is not me saying that from a Villa supporter's perspective but from a money perspective, a transfer to Villa or any other PL club would make him financially independent for the rest of his life. it really is life changing money to be able to earn 40k / 50k  a week and know that if you lose form or have a career ending injury that it will be paid for the remaining of a 4 or 5 year contract. I can't see how anyone would / could refuse that. If he is that level headed he should bank the money and worry about the other challenges if and when the occur.

16 minutes ago, Begley said:

So why was the reported first bid to Ipswich from Bristol City for Webster only 2m? Then it was negotiated up to 3.5m plus a lot of add ons. Bristol City (sensibly) went in with a low bid first. It sets the bar and disrupts the player because a club that can offer more immediate better opportunities and a bigger pay packet wanted to sign him. So now when the situation is reversed its all about principles ????

Love to know where you get that initial approach info from. I can't remember the last time any of our transfer and the negotiation process were public knowledge up until someone signed. We just don't operate like that. We've made 5 signing so far this summer and not once has that happened. 

12 minutes ago, Begley said:

??

It wasn't so much scatter gun it was the idiot Bruce selling them all or loaning them out. We started the Championship campaign last season with 1 full back. We started a few games last year with 4 right backs. It was a joke!

Chester apparently has a career threatening injury and has to manage his training and game time, he can't play a full season so he is not capable as a number 1. Hause is a backup CB and can also play as back up LB. Currently Villa has NO CBs for the our 1st team. They want Mings and Bournemouth are quite rightly looking to maximise the value of Mings and Tuanzebe is up in the air as Utd are unsure if they will be playing him or not. He has only 1 year on his contract and Utd need to either renew or sell. I suspect Villa want two of Webster, Mings and Tuanzebe and it will be mainly timing that determines which two Villa gets (that is if they get any of them) as you can't buy a player if a club refuses to sell. But regardless if what happens, Villa will buy 2 CBs this window.

Personally I think Webster will go. That is not me saying that from a Villa supporter's perspective but from a money perspective, a transfer to Villa or any other PL club would make him financially independent for the rest of his life. it really is life changing money to be able to earn 40k / 50k  a week and know that if you lose form or have a career ending injury that it will be paid for the remaining of a 4 or 5 year contract. I can't see how anyone would / could refuse that. If he is that level headed he should bank the money and worry about the other challenges if and when the occur.

Out of interest, do you think Hause signed to be cover?  LB - you now have Targett and Taylor?

Webster will go if City get the right bid.  

Another big consideration, it’s pretty conceivable that if he signs for a club who then get relegated he’ll be taking a 40-50% pay cut, so £40-50k not guaranteed across the length of contract (that’s his we could afford Baker).  All things to throw into the melting pot.

I know it’s not simple but I would be trying to improve his contract.  Might be futile, I know.

6 minutes ago, Begley said:

??

That'll be the Bruce who kept signing or loaning player after player then complained that he wasn't given enough money to spend. Neither he nor Villa fans seemed to be bothered that the club was being put at risk it seemed. Perhaps he should have bought Webster from Ipswich instead of the vanity signing of Terry?

As to Webster, word locally is that he is not agitating for a move so Villa are going to have to up the ante to get him.

I would have thought Mings was priority one so if you have to pay big money to get him Tuanzebe seems more likely than Webster. Unless you are going to do a Fulham and blow £100m and bugger the consequences. Which, given recent history isn't beyond the realms of possibility I suppose.

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I rather think you are correct. 

I think you are correct too. The odd thing is in your reply I am quoted as having the bash at Villa and ffp when it was Rudolph Hucker who wrote those words. Not your fault, a fly has somehow got into the cockpit. Strange how that has happened.

Snitch

52 minutes ago, Begley said:

I’m not saying that, what I'm saying  is you would probably be expected to pay the full price up front (or a very large percentage of it) while Everton or whoever would be allowed to do business as is normal & pay over the usual instalments!

If you think that after the good will we showed to Villa that it would be accepted for you to play games to take advantage of us, I think you’ll be very disappointed!

7 minutes ago, Begley said:

I like to think bcfc conducts itself in a certain way with transfers, fees are usually undisclosed,  and theres not usually any negative press talk about our transfer business.

dont know about the webster purchase, but the difference in salary between 2 championship clubs isnt as marked as a championship to premier league transfer. Comparing those 2 transfers is like apples and pears.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, do you think Hause signed to be cover?  LB - you now have Targett and Taylor?

Webster will go if City get the right bid.  

Another big consideration, it’s pretty conceivable that if he signs for a club who then get relegated he’ll be taking a 40-50% pay cut, so £40-50k not guaranteed across the length of contract (that’s his we could afford Baker).  All things to throw into the melting pot.

I know it’s not simple but I would be trying to improve his contract.  Might be futile, I know.

A lot of sense here Dave.

If we take Kalas as the precedent, Webster is equally as valuable so takes parity - so a rise to c£20k a week. No idea as to current wage, but let’s say c£12k, so a sizeable uplift.

Theres no doubt Villa could pay more, but as you say, won’t be guaranteed over the term. FWIW my instinct is they’ll stay up, but if they don’t he’ll revert to what we’ll likely bring him up to here. Over a year, we’re talking an extra £1m (assuming £40k p/w at Villa) Worth going for? Well, yes but it’s not £1m. It’s taxed. Heavily. It’s about £400k after tax. Not small, but not life changing and can be made up in part in bonuses/signing on fees. 

Now flip it. Villa could be offering a 5 year deal at £2m a year (if staying up) plus fee. It’s a £35m - £40m package for someone who has never played in the premier league at early mid 20s and has had two injury prone seasons prior to this one.

No real part of that deal, even in their “richer than yaew” status makes huge sense for Villa. Love Webby, great player, but fits here and a risk at the level up in a struggling team (likely as new up) where his strength of bringing the ball out is likely to be shoved to one side in favour of keeping the ball out by any means.

What does all this tell me?

If I were Villa, a £40m package is not something I’d do - just too high risk for an untried CB. So I think the wage rise may not be as high as suggested. And renegotiating the contract has to at least be tried with that in mind.

He said, hopefully!

51 minutes ago, Begley said:

There is no proof that City contacted Webster & told him what he could earn by joining us!

City tend to do there business outside of the press, unlike Villa, Kodjia, Bryan & now Webster all plastered all over the press before any deal has been agreed.

Yes, no club goes in high but not every club seems to let the press know who they are after & then let’s slip what a player ‘could’ earn if he joined that club!! There is a right way & a wrong way to go about business & I would suggest you are the latter!

Now forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t see your club leaking how much Tuanzebe & Mings might earn if they joined you! Could that be because you possibly won’t be paying them 3 or 4 times what they currently earn because their current clubs are more established than your club?!?

6 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There is no proof that City contacted Webster & told him what he could earn by joining us!

City tend to do there business outside of the press, unlike Villa, Kodjia, Bryan & now Webster all plastered all over the press before any deal has been agreed.

Yes, no club goes in high but not every club seems to let the press know who they are after & then let’s slip what a player ‘could’ earn if he joined that club!! There is a right way & a wrong way to go about business & I would suggest you are the latter!

Now forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t see your club leaking how much Tuanzebe & Mings might earn if they joined you! Could that be because you possibly won’t be paying them 3 or 4 times what they currently earn because their current clubs are more established than your club?!?

Exactimundo Tipps.

32 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

So why was the reported first bid to Ipswich from Bristol City for Webster only 2m?

33 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Love to know where you get that initial approach info from.

Notice the use of the word 'reported', I don't think any club formally announces any of their transfer negotiations. It is just as nobody knows whether Villa even bid 12m or whether Bristol City ever said they want 30m, yet fans claim the 12m bid is derisory and that Bristol City hold all the cards and will hold out for the full 30m. It is all based upon media speculation. 

4 minutes ago, Begley said:

Notice the use of the word 'reported', I don't think any club formally announces any of their transfer negotiations. It is just as nobody knows whether Villa even bid 12m or whether Bristol City ever said they want 30m, yet fans claim the 12m bid is derisory and that Bristol City hold all the cards and will hold out for the full 30m. It is all based upon media speculation. 

There was absolutely nothing reported about any city bids for Webster until it was reported his arrival was imminent. Unless you can find me any reports? 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

City tend to do there business outside of the press, unlike Villa,

Nobody saw the Jota signing or the Wesley signings for Villa, they were a surprise. Information gets leaked as there are so many different parties involved. How come everyone expected Kalas to sign? How come there were rumours leaked to say he was close to signing. How do you know Bryan's agent wasn't leaking information to try and get a PL club interested. The simple fact is that you don't but it suits the narrative to try and make out that Villa were the party leaking information

3 minutes ago, Begley said:

Our podcasters - Michelle Owen (Skysports) and Gregor McGregor (City reporting for local rag) said reported the £30m following an interview with Johnson.  Can’t remember the exact quote but LJ said £12m was nowhere near the valuation.

5 minutes ago, Begley said:

Are you saying that the media guessed or made up Villa's bid? It would certainly have been leaked by Villa. Presumably they thought it would turn the player's head and/or thought we would cave in because, well, it's Villa innit?

Our valuation would have been leaked in return. If Villa had kept it private we would have done likewise.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Our valuation would have been leaked in return. If Villa had kept it private we would have done likewise.

How do you know Villa leaked it? Pure conjecture. Why didn't Villa leak Jota or Wesley? How do you know it was not Webster's agent? How do you know it wasn't BC trying to create more interest in Webster? As I said, suits the narrative. 

Archived